Brit Pop

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Starting this thread for us to tattle about all things and those from the magnificent Brit Pop era!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I live in Austria, so I didn‘t experience britpop as a brit. So I‘m very curious about your insights! 😇
I recently had a relapse for all things britpop-related, since I was in London and saw blur in Wembley, which was fantastic.
Do we wanna discuss more gossipy stuff here, or the music as well? I’m here for both.
When in London, I saw some people with oasis-shirts with the classic logo, and also some Spice Girls-shirts. Who does sell good bandshirts in your opinion?

Reactions: 6
I'm going to see Pulp next week and am v v excited as I only managed to see them post 90's. Blur would have been amazing too, am v jealous of that one.

I am also not ashamed to admit that my main Britpop regret is not seeing Menswe@r 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I loved Brit Pop, so many happy memories, peaked as it was dying when I saw Pulp on 3rd December 1998( Checked on a gig site, I’ve not that good a recollection 😁) ….This is Hardcore Tour, Brighton Centre….I love a pre-Christmas gig and this was epic, mainly because there were two Jarvis Cocker’s on stage at the same time 😁 Little 21yo me had popped an E and I was bamboozled by it, turns out Jarvis hired a ‘Stars in Your Eyes’ Jarvis performer to open with him on either side in the stage, watch that on E and I can tell you it troubles your mind, they were identical 🤦🏽‍♀️😁 Anyone else go to see that tour, the band were falling apart, Jarvis was burnt out, but I remember it being such a wonderful night. Good Times.

Another favourite memory is watching the 1996 Euro England/Scotland match, and I have no interest in kicky-ball, but the atmosphere that hot sunny day in Brighton was amazing. Remember Brit-Pop tunes played all day and a guy accidentally threw a pint over my white T-Shirt when England scored, and I didn’t care, plus a 19yo girl in a wet t-shirt becomes a popular girl, drinks were bought for me that day 😁…..Brit Pop was a fabulous era, they were happy optimistic days, it was so much fun, best of times for that young me 🥳😁

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I'm going to see Pulp next week and am v v excited as I only managed to see them post 90's. Blur would have been amazing too, am v jealous of that one.

I am also not ashamed to admit that my main Britpop regret is not seeing Menswe@r 🤣
Pulp played here in Ireland last month. My husband and I are fans but couldn't go as we were abroad on holidays. We were RAGING! 😭😭😭😭

Reactions: 3
On the tail end of Britpop but I’m going to see Richard Ashcroft tomorrow and cannot freakin’ wait!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I was one of the 250,000 that saw Oasis at Knebworth in 1996. They were a bit Meh. The Prodigy absolutely stole the show..... To be fair I was more of a Blur fan so that might have coloured my judgement about Oasis. They just seemed so boring in comparison with the amazing stage presence of The Prodigy.

Reactions: 22
I live in Austria, so I didn‘t experience britpop as a brit. So I‘m very curious about your insights! 😇
I recently had a relapse for all things britpop-related, since I was in London and saw blur in Wembley, which was fantastic.
Do we wanna discuss more gossipy stuff here, or the music as well? I’m here for both.
When in London, I saw some people with oasis-shirts with the classic logo, and also some Spice Girls-shirts. Who does sell good bandshirts in your opinion?
Depop or Ebay for originals but some of the prices are crazy now. I am going to cash in and sell a lot of my 90s originals soon as they are all seem to have mysteriously shrunk over the years :)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

Menswear were brilliant live. Probably not the most technically proficient musicians I've ever seen, but they put on a good show with all of the good tunes.

I was a teen during the heyday of Britpop. My friend and I used to catch the train to London and moon round Camden. We never saw anyone. We did get asked to leave the Good Mixer pub for being underage though.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Depop or Ebay for originals but some of the prices are crazy now. I am going to cash in and sell a lot of my 90s originals soon as they are all seem to have mysteriously shrunk over the years :)
Funny that, my 90’s originals have shrunk as well. Terrible quality 20 odd years ago🤣🤣🤣Pity, because it’s all really cool stuff. I’m not sure if I can part with my army jacket though😕

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It didn’t help that I bought all mine small In the first place.

What colour were your gazelles? Mine were green and I bought them from a hyper market in France on a day trip!

Reactions: 3
My t shirts (wherever they may be) also seem to have fallen victim to dubious 90's material shrinkage. I bought some of the shell style Adidas recently for the sake of nostalgia. Maybe if I put them on those t shirts will miraculously fit again like some sort of footwear time machine 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
It didn’t help that I bought all mine small In the first place.

What colour were your gazelles? Mine were green and I bought them from a hyper market in France on a day trip!
I actually had two pairs of Adidas Campus-black and navy plus the Doc Martens of course. One day I’d be Blur in my tight Adidas t-shirt and flared jeans (bottom hems cut off-naturally), the next Oasis in my army parka and DM’s🤣I had no loyalty just kept listening to whatever music I liked, and of course, whichever boy I fancied.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
I bought a green Blur T-shirt in 1995, and it was huge on me then. So my mum made it smaller for me. And now I wish that she hadn’t, let’s put it that way.

My shoe size would still be the same, but my black Adidas Samba decomposed decades ago… apparently they’re fashionable again now.

Reactions: 2
The new Blur album was released yesterday. I’ve played it through twice so far and it is pretty good. Damon’s output across all of his projects is incredible really.
Speaking of which I can’t come on a Britpop thread and not mention Paul Weller. Apart from obviously being a fan for a long time (hence my username!), he carried the baton from the 60s to the 70s, 80s and 90s and is still rocking it all these years later at the age of 65. A genuine tour de force, releasing relevant new music and still ace in a live setting.

Ocean Colour Scene were my other favourite band of the Britpop era. Although they did get a bit ‘samey’ after 3 or 4 albums.

Someone mentioned Richard Ashcroft earlier in the thread. I thought he would have gone on to be a bigger star than he did, he had everything.

I still wear my Trim Trabbs and Sambas to gigs, and am of an age where I was really glad to see guitar bands return in that ‘Britpop’ era. The press had a field day with the old Oasis v Blur thing didn’t they, but there was obviously much more to the genre than that.

Anyway I’m off to spin The Ballad of Darren for the third time. Have a great weekend everyone ✌🏻and ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I actually had two pairs of Adidas Campus-black and navy plus the Doc Martens of course. One day I’d be Blur in my tight Adidas t-shirt and flared jeans (bottom hems cut off-naturally), the next Oasis in my army parka and DM’s🤣I had no loyalty just kept listening to whatever music I liked, and of course, whichever boy I fancied.
I really liked that women could be super dressed down in that era and that it was totally accepted. I think the beauty standards were a lot more variable too. There could have been more racial diversity in the media but in everyday life it was so creative and fun.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Before we showed ourselves the door of the Primrose Hill thread, we were discussing Britpop wrong 'uns.

We had Bluetones Mark Morriss and Kasabian Tom Meighan. I'm also vaguely aware there were allegations against Graham Coxon.

Jaime Harding from Marion went to prison, think he set fire to his girlfriend's clothes and had a long history of drug problems.
I'm sure there are more - does anyone have better recall than I do of them, please?

• Wow
Reactions: 8