Brit Pop

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was Select magazine as well, which was glossier than NME and Melody Maker and took itself less seriously than Q. And Vox, which I think was a glossy spinoff of NME for a while.
When magazines were fun, full of pages and actually available!! Would reccommend 'That's Me in the Corner' by Andrew Collins if yuou're interested in the print side of it. He worked at the NME and then for some of these other mags. Funny stories about a Northampton lad working for the press during Britpop and how and why these mags were launched.

Reactions: 9
And what would be great is for Shane Meadows to finish off his 'This is England' anthology with 1996 (perfect logical choice) as the sounds, fashions and sights of Britpop play out against that amazing Euro 96 summer - oh and so we may find out what happened to Combo.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
And what would be great is for Shane Meadows to finish off his 'This is England' anthology with 1996 (perfect logical choice) as the sounds, fashions and sights of Britpop play out against that amazing Euro 96 summer - oh and so we may find out what happened to Combo.
Ooh that would be good.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I saw dodgy at the Brixton academy. They were amazing.
I have such a soft spot for Dodgy ❤

The Britpop era was while I was at school and uni. There’s a photo of me somewhere in an original Oasis baby tee aged about 15. Started going to gigs a couple of years later, saw a lot of Primal Scream, Underworld, Manics, SFA, Blur, and Oasis at Wembley. Great times.

SFA were great when I saw them live- bouncing in the mosh pit to The Man Don’t Give a duck was a highlight. Pulp were fab too.

I loved SFA at the time but I think they were definitely of the time and I’d never listen to them now.

I’ve loved reading about everyone’s 90’s fashion! I had cords and Acupuncture trainers- remember those?!

Oh and by the way re Graham Coxon- he’s a total tit bag. Shagged young fans in his house while his wife and small child were out. Left his wife in America during covid and fucked off back to England alone. Left her with duck all money and PTSD. She has photos on her insta of her with bruises which seem to be due to him.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
I was quite fond of Sleeper back in the day. Not so much now but I still admire Louise Wener. I think they played a few shows this year.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Spent yesterday watching the osbournes on YouTube. It’s still hilarious, the teens loved it. The quality is a bit sketchy, and sound a bit iffy. Which makes Izzy’s ramblings even harder to understand!!! The only thing that ages it is the phones

my son said “you’d think this is made up”

No. Probably the most real reality show there was (certainly the first series)
---
I have such a soft spot for Dodgy ❤

The Britpop era was while I was at school and uni. There’s a photo of me somewhere in an original Oasis baby tee aged about 15. Started going to gigs a couple of years later, saw a lot of Primal Scream, Underworld, Manics, SFA, Blur, and Oasis at Wembley. Great times.

SFA were great when I saw them live- bouncing in the mosh pit to The Man Don’t Give a duck was a highlight. Pulp were fab too.

I loved SFA at the time but I think they were definitely of the time and I’d never listen to them now.

I’ve loved reading about everyone’s 90’s fashion! I had cords and Acupuncture trainers- remember those?!

Oh and by the way re Graham Coxon- he’s a total tit bag. Shagged young fans in his house while his wife and small child were out. Left his wife in America during covid and fucked off back to England alone. Left her with duck all money and PTSD. She has photos on her insta of her with bruises which seem to be due to him.
Thanks to this thread I’ve educated my son on a lot of Brit pop I had missed.
SFA was a great band. I’d forgotten about them, there was one of their cds in the charity shop recently. I nearly got it, went for space instead.
I now have three copies of the space album, and I think I only like 3 songs on the album

Reactions: 1
I love Sandstorm by Cast.

Did anyone listen to The Evening Sessions (Jo Wiley and Steve Lamaq) in the 90s? I loved it. There were so many great bands and singers that I heard for the first time on that show.

I also loved the White Room, when I was looking it up I saw this tape, it was a classic!

IMG_4728.jpeg

I was quite fond of Sleeper back in the day. Not so much now but I still admire Louise Wener. I think they played a few shows this year.
Louise Wener wrote some brilliant novels and a very interesting memoir. Highly recommend all of them. Wish she’d write another one.

Reactions: 7
I was one of the 250,000 that saw Oasis at Knebworth in 1996. They were a bit Meh. The Prodigy absolutely stole the show..... To be fair I was more of a Blur fan so that might have coloured my judgement about Oasis. They just seemed so boring in comparison with the amazing stage presence of The Prodigy.
I was also at Knebworth 👋 but only the Sunday. So, I missed The Prodigy but saw The Manics (meh, I was never a fan) and The Charlatans (I was a fan). I think Cast played too.

Reactions: 4
I saw them last year, it was a great gig and Louise is still stunning!
---
I met Shane last year, he was with Vicky McClure who I'm acquaintances with. Vicky is desperate to work with him again and he said never say never 🫰

• Heart
Louise Wener wrote some brilliant novels and a very interesting memoir. Highly recommend all of them. Wish she’d write another one.
I loved her memoir. And she was far more coherent than the Gallaghers, Damon and Jarvis in that 2003 documentary.

Reactions: 4
I saw Jo Whiley was doing a dj set in my town, the 90’s sessions i think, tickets are £30 !!! So nah i won’t be going

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
There was a poster in select that is burned into my memory of the guys from Space semi naked posing seductively 🤢

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Loved Select and had a lot of pics from there on my uni bedroom wall. The Britpop series with Wiley and Lamacq was really interesting and Sandstorm is my favourite Cast song too. I’d also recommend Andrew Collins books, really engaging and readable. I liked Animal House by James Brown too which covers britpop as well as Loaded and a whole lot of bad behaviour.
Fashion wise I was mostly excellent trainers, baggy combats and little mesh tops or T-shirts. Ah for that waistline again….

• Heart
I really need to check out these books! I have Miki Berenyi’s but not read it yet.

Does anyone remember Raw magazine? It started out more heavy-rock orientated but covered more indie bands when britpop took off. It had really good interviews and gig reviews.

I love so much of the britpop music, indie, and so many other genres from around that time, there’s so much to say!

I LOVED Oasis, and still do. I know they’re not for everyone, and I respect that, I’m not going to try and change anyone’s minds! 🤣
But one of the reasons I love them is because their music was so uplifting, and the lyrics were so positive.

This quote from Noel on why he wrote Live Forever sums it up.

IMG_4588.jpeg

ETA. I shouldn’t even mention Oasis here, they always rejected the Britpop label and said they were rock n roll. I wonder now if any bands actually said they were britpop?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I think the October 1994 one with Brett Anderson on the cover was the first one I read.

Reactions: 5