Brit Pop

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had bright blue Sambas that wrecked my feet but also 2 pairs of Superstars (we called them shell toes) in black and in white and I wore them to death, they were the coolest trainers. I bought a pair of Spezials a few weeks ago and they’ve given me all the 90s vibes 🖤
---
Before we showed ourselves the door of the Primrose Hill thread, we were discussing Britpop wrong 'uns.

We had Bluetones Mark Morriss and Kasabian Tom Meighan. I'm also vaguely aware there were allegations against Graham Coxon.

Jaime Harding from Marion went to prison, think he set fire to his girlfriend's clothes and had a long history of drug problems.
I'm sure there are more - does anyone have better recall than I do of them, please?
I was so disappointed with the Tom M situation.

Reactions: 9
Before we showed ourselves the door of the Primrose Hill thread, we were discussing Britpop wrong 'uns.

We had Bluetones Mark Morriss and Kasabian Tom Meighan. I'm also vaguely aware there were allegations against Graham Coxon.

Jaime Harding from Marion went to prison, think he set fire to his girlfriend's clothes and had a long history of drug problems.
I'm sure there are more - does anyone have better recall than I do of them, please?
Alex James sounded like a complete creep, according to Miki Berenyi from Lush.

ETA: He was also known to regularly lounge about whining about signing autographs/interacting with fans until Albarn lost it with him and his self-involved ingratitude. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I really need to listen to the new Blur album but I find it really difficult to set time aside to listen to 'new' stuff, no idea why as I work from home! My younger self would be most disappointed.

Not quite in the same vein, but Stove from Mansun robbed all of their cash, which is allegedly why he was sacked. It was a shame as he was actually the nicest member! I was fairly Mansun obsessed 🤣.

Very much in the same vein is Paul Draper, so many rumours about him, including the fact that the Anchoress has a Stalking Protection Order against him. SPO's are pretty underused by most Police forces as they're tricky to obtain sometimes, so there must have been a lot of evidence.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Was just wondering this the other day - back in 95/96 band merch was so expensive! my oasis t shirt (black, silver logo - awesome) was £15.99 and I’d probably baulk at paying that now.
While that t shirt was thrown out due to sheer overwear, I do regret chucking out my DMs for seemingly the same reason as they’d be so comfy now without the anguish of breaking in (and the leather was far better quality then IMO).

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Ha, all your stories remind me of the time, I started to wear my Nike windbreaker like jacket, from a whole suit, to school, and my mum was really desperate and cried, because she was so conservative and middle class and couldn’t bare her teenage daughter dressing in working class clothes.
My first Britpop-shoes were Coxon-in-his-skater-era inspired I‘m afraid. Red Etnies, a very thick shoe, which looked horrendous on my wide and high feet.
I read the Oasis-biography by Paolo Hewitt religiously, where a band called blur was mentioned quite often, which made me curious, so I bought MLIR as first blur record (in 1999, mind you…). The others followed quickly, as my guilty conscience for Oasis was slowly overcame. 😇
I infected 4 of my closest friends, but otherwise we were quite alone late 90s, being Britpop-fans in Austria. I mean we probably were not, but we just didn’t know any other people. I’m born 1985, so we were a bit late to the party.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Anyone who is going to Pulps remaining tour dates is in for SUCH a treat, we saw them in Sheffield last Friday, absolutely amazing gig 🤩

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Anyone who is going to Pulps remaining tour dates is in for SUCH a treat, we saw them in Sheffield last Friday, absolutely amazing gig 🤩
This makes me very happy, roll on next weekend 🙌 tried for tickets for Pulp in Sheff but failed and was very pissed off 🤣

I can't remember any 90's era jackets bar the shellsuit I had early on 😳

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I also purchased new blur album and love it. Damon’s a musical genius imo. The only thing ever, I didn’t love by him, was that opera stuff. Dr. Whatshisname.
Quite a few lyrics about feelings changing in relationships, so I’m afraid that divorce rumours might be true?
Curious if Pulp might do some Europe-shows as well.
There’s this saying, that in your thirties you re-live your teens, except shameless this time, and I think I‘ve reached that era now. 😇

Reactions: 8
Yeh it seems it’s definitely a break up album.
saw this excerpt of an interview below. You can really hear in the album he’s very emotional more so than others.
IMG_9711.jpeg

I also purchased new blur album and love it. Damon’s a musical genius imo. The only thing ever, I didn’t love by him, was that opera stuff. Dr. Whatshisname.
Quite a few lyrics about feelings changing in relationships, so I’m afraid that divorce rumours might be true?
Curious if Pulp might do some Europe-shows as well.
There’s this saying, that in your thirties you re-live your teens, except shameless this time, and I think I‘ve reached that era now. 😇

• Sad
I was raging I wasn’t able to see Pulp in June when they played Dublin, as I was working and dont live in Dublin, but I got to see Blur in Malahide Castle and it was just the best gig. Damon seemed off his face though🤣 It was just a sea of forty plus year olds and no phones in the air. Pure nostalgia.
This has unlocked a memory of an Oasis t-shirt I had-white with black piping on the sleeves and logo was black, I thought it was the tit! I also loved OCS and saw them in 1999 at a festival. Excuse me, I am just going to go have a cry about my lost youth😭😭😭

• Haha
I was raging I wasn’t able to see Pulp in June when they played Dublin, as I was working and dont live in Dublin, but I got to see Blur in Malahide Castle and it was just the best gig. Damon seemed off his face though🤣 It was just a sea of forty plus year olds and no phones in the air. Pure nostalgia.
This has unlocked a memory of an Oasis t-shirt I had-white with black piping on the sleeves and logo was black, I thought it was the tit! I also loved OCS and saw them in 1999 at a festival. Excuse me, I am just going to go have a cry about my lost youth😭😭😭
Was at malahide castle too. It was magical , so nostalgic. He did seem off his noodle though…. “Look at the clouds” 😂😂😂

• Haha
I really liked that women could be super dressed down in that era and that it was totally accepted. I think the beauty standards were a lot more variable too. There could have been more racial diversity in the media but in everyday life it was so creative and fun.
Yeah, and make up was non-existent compared to today. Pan stick and heather shimmer lipstick, out the door. It was more about the hairstyle. Mine was short, very short. Dolores O Riardon short. But I was also 17/18/19 and beautiful because I was young (even if I didn’t know it at the time). Aw man, simpler times. There also didn’t seem to be a fixation on weight back then, probably because everyone was quite slim because there wasn’t as much processed crap around and you walked everywhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
OCS are supporting Richard Ashcroft at the gig I’m going to this afternoon 🙌🏻

• Heart
It didn’t help that I bought all mine small In the first place.

What colour were your gazelles? Mine were green and I bought them from a hyper market in France on a day trip!
Purple and orange Gazelles. - the only thing that I still have from the 1990s that still fit me (although even they feel a bit snug) and bought on a trip to London to celebrate leaving Uni. Went to see The Frank and Walters in them and got beer spilled on them first time of wearing but the support act for that gig were some no marks called Radiohead

• Haha
  • Heart
On the tail end of Britpop but I’m going to see Richard Ashcroft tomorrow and cannot freakin’ wait!
Oh my god I’m so jealous! Enjoy 😊 Urban Hymns is my favourite ever album , I’ve bought it in various forms about 4 times because it’s either got scratched on cd or I’ve downloaded it
---
It didn’t help that I bought all mine small In the first place.

What colour were your gazelles? Mine were green and I bought them from a hyper market in France on a day trip!
Black with yellow stripes 🤩 had a pair of navy puma states too. Did anyone else have one of those adidas tight fitting t shirts like blur Used to wear think I had mine from a second hand shop wore it with a a line mini or cords

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Oh my god I’m so jealous! Enjoy 😊 Urban Hymns is my favourite ever album , I’ve bought it in various forms about 4 times because it’s either got scratched on cd or I’ve downloaded it
---

Black with yellow stripes 🤩 had a pair of navy puma states too. Did anyone else have one of those adidas tight fitting t shirts like blur Used to wear think I had mine from a second hand shop wore it with a a line mini or cords
I had! A red one with with white stripes that I found in a vintage store or ‘second hand shop’ as they were called those days. I still have it.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
OCS are supporting Richard Ashcroft at the gig I’m going to this afternoon 🙌🏻
I saw The Verve supporting Oasis just before Urban Hymns came out, they blew them off stage. Liam was in such a foul mood that he had been upstaged!

OCS are also a brilliant live band. You’re going to have a blast, very jealous!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 6