Brit Pop

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really liked northern uproar, it really pains me what happened to their guitarist jeff fletcher.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Incredibly sad about Sinead O’Connor. Very troubled woman, I hope she’s found the peace she was denied in this life.

We spend a lot of time watching kerrang in this house.
it’s not got a huge amount of Brit pop but certainly ticks the box of the indie 90’s and 00’s vibe.

I really liked northern uproar, it really pains me what happened to their guitarist jeff fletcher.
I didn't know that story - have just looked. I remember reading ages ago that Leon Meya was now a hairdresser.
Northern Uproar were another band unfairly sneered at by music journalists.

Reactions: 3
We spend a lot of time watching kerrang in this house.
it’s not got a huge amount of Brit pop but certainly ticks the box of the indie 90’s and 00’s vibe.
They got rid of a lot of the channels that were decent if you aren't into pop/dance/rap. Scuzz was good as well as The Amp. MTV 90s isn't bad. While it is mostly pop/dance/rap, they do show indie/grunge stuff. There is also MTV Rocks although that is like Kerrang in regards to whether you will see something.

They got rid of a lot of the channels that were decent if you aren't into pop/dance/rap. Scuzz was good as well as The Amp. MTV 90s isn't bad. While it is mostly pop/dance/rap, they do show indie/grunge stuff. There is also MTV Rocks although that is like Kerrang in regards to whether you will see something.
Scuzz was my favourite !!! I put Kerrang on the other day and didn’t know most of it.

I’m a big fan of absolute 90’s

There were stories like that about their first drummer, The Hib.

I saw Mansun a couple of times in the '90s and they were a good live band. Paul Draper had very little connection with the audience, sometimes performed with his back to us and almost never spoke, but the music was great and he could sing, so we let him off. Chad was a bit weird - I remember he was dribbling on himself at one gig - but Stove was always there with a cheeky wink or a smile. The first time I saw them, Embrace were supporting and they were crap. I think it was Rialto the second time and they were brilliant.

Super Furry Animals didn't really connect with their audience either. I found them overrated after seeing them live.

Another band that get written off are Shed Seven. They were brilliant live and always had good chat with the crowd. Echobelly too, and Longpigs.
Shed Seven are still brilliant love, great rapport with the audience, give us exactly what we want and really appreciative. I've loved them since Dolphin and think they should have been so much bigger than they were - but always stuck to their York roots so wonder if that went against them?

Reactions: 7
Does anyone remember free cd’s being given away with magazines back in the 90’s?
I remember the free cassette's from the melody maker:ROFLMAO: maker shaker
There's a great book called 'the last party' about the britpop story written by John Harris

Reactions: 10
I remember the free cassette's from the melody maker:ROFLMAO: maker shaker
There's a great book called 'the last party' about the britpop story written by John Harris
Aw NME and Melody Maker.... I had subscriptions to both for about 10 years! Really wish I'd kept them all 😞

Reactions: 6
There was Select magazine as well, which was glossier than NME and Melody Maker and took itself less seriously than Q. And Vox, which I think was a glossy spinoff of NME for a while.

Music shows on terrestrial TV were also much better. TFI Friday seems really dated now, but you could usually count on a good band being on. The White Room with Mark Radcliffe had a wider range of bands and it was still great, if sometimes a bit weird. I remember Iggy Pop performing on there in see-through PVC trousers, which wasn't pretty.

ITV had The Beat with Gary Crowley, which you had to tape because it was on in the early hours of the morning.

Reactions: 17
Anyone remember Cast? Found the single guiding star in my old cd stash….Ah memories.
That is my favourite Cast song. Closely followed by Keeping the Dream Alive. I saw them a few years ago on their retro tour and they were ace. Along with OCS and Dodgy they are probably the standout bands for that era for me. I listen and I'm right back to that point in time.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Anyone remember Cast? Found the single guiding star in my old cd stash….Ah memories.
I have the weirdest fondness for Cast. They weren’t “my type” but I just really liked John Power. I don’t like “Walk Away” (their Wonderwall?) but I always get a real attack of the warm and fuzzies when I hear “Fine Time”; there’re something about those high notes and the lead guitar that just gives me such a huge lift!
Honestly, it’s so odd, I actually have such goodwill for them even though 90% of their output does nothing for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 9