Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
Do we agree?
Checked the oasis-album once again, and they might be up on something. I did like Sunday morning call at that time, but now I really don’t care about it.
The other songs I mostly don’t even know though.
Nah, they’ve K by Kula Shaker down as a one song album, so I fundamentally disagree. Also, not sure I’d class The Charlatans as Britpop? They were one of the first bands I saw live, just after their second album and Weirdo had come out. They were brilliant. I think Liam Gallagher nicked the way he sings into the microphone off how Tim Burgess did it back then (also it boggles my mind a bit that TB is now dating Sharon Horgan).

Reactions: 14
Ha, all your stories remind me of the time, I started to wear my Nike windbreaker like jacket, from a whole suit, to school, and my mum was really desperate and cried, because she was so conservative and middle class and couldn’t bare her teenage daughter dressing in working class clothes.
My first Britpop-shoes were Coxon-in-his-skater-era inspired I‘m afraid. Red Etnies, a very thick shoe, which looked horrendous on my wide and high feet.
I read the Oasis-biography by Paolo Hewitt religiously, where a band called blur was mentioned quite often, which made me curious, so I bought MLIR as first blur record (in 1999, mind you…). The others followed quickly, as my guilty conscience for Oasis was slowly overcame. 😇
I infected 4 of my closest friends, but otherwise we were quite alone late 90s, being Britpop-fans in Austria. I mean we probably were not, but we just didn’t know any other people. I’m born 1985, so we were a bit late to the party.

• Haha

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
Mansun really were amzing, they created whole worlds in the their music.

I love how Britpop/indie/alternative music evolved so much in the 90s, you had Manchester in the early 90s, the “new wave “ with Suede etc, then 95/96 was “pure Britpop“ bands like Blur, Oasis, Elastica, Supergrass, then by late 96/97 there was Mansun, Radiohead, The Verve, with more atmospheric thoughtful music.

(I know no bands actually labelled themselves Britpop! And my whole post is a bit of a generalisation, but I hope you guys know what I mean, it’s just too cold here to think it through and explain properly! )

• Heart

chickhicks86

VIP Member
Mansun really were amzing, they created whole worlds in the their music.

I love how Britpop/indie/alternative music evolved so much in the 90s, you had Manchester in the early 90s, the “new wave “ with Suede etc, then 95/96 was “pure Britpop“ bands like Blur, Oasis, Elastica, Supergrass, then by late 96/97 there was Mansun, Radiohead, The Verve, with more atmospheric thoughtful music.

(I know no bands actually labelled themselves Britpop! And my whole post is a bit of a generalisation, but I hope you guys know what I mean, it’s just too cold here to think it through and explain properly! )
I think it was probably the very last great music "scene". What a time, such fond memories! Kids / teens / young adults don't get that same sense of belonging as we did back then, everything is so generic and the atmosphere is gone just seeing it through a screen.

Copacapybara

VIP Member
Before we showed ourselves the door of the Primrose Hill thread, we were discussing Britpop wrong 'uns.

We had Bluetones Mark Morriss and Kasabian Tom Meighan. I'm also vaguely aware there were allegations against Graham Coxon.

Jaime Harding from Marion went to prison, think he set fire to his girlfriend's clothes and had a long history of drug problems.
I'm sure there are more - does anyone have better recall than I do of them, please?
Alex James sounded like a complete creep, according to Miki Berenyi from Lush.

ETA: He was also known to regularly lounge about whining about signing autographs/interacting with fans until Albarn lost it with him and his self-involved ingratitude. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
I remember seeing Kula Shaker supporting Reef in about 1995. Crispian looked a bit like Princess Di and no-one was really sure what to make of the songs with Sanskrit in them.

• Haha

Rothsey

VIP Member
Bought my first gazelles early 90s. Used to wear them clubbing.
Never stopped.
Still love trainers and a dress

🖤
---
What i loved about Mansun gigs was they always had a fan meet & greet after, i remember you just had to write to Dark Mavis 💜

I saw Mansun and Embrace support the Manics
Wide Open Space. 💜

Last edited:

Skinnylike

Trainspotting was probably as Britpop as it gets.
not made during the era but the show my mad fat diary is literally just britpop music. it’s about teenagers in the mid 90s. it’s genuinely a great show because of the story and how it deals with mental illness but the soundtrack is godly

• Heart
Reactions: 13

vanderlyle

I’ve found my people!! I absolutely loved 90s indie. I was cool for 5 minutes in 1995. Aged 14, I was really geeky into bands no one else had heard of. Went on holiday to Spain; came back and my favourite bands were suddenly in the charts. Completely indie obsessed: even though we were skint, my dad gave me a tenner every week to put towards music stuff (CDs, t shirts, nme/ mm, t in the park tickets). I had a lovely “I’m common” t shirt, a blur t shirt with a beer mat on it, an oasis t shirt, charlatans t shirt, black grape t shirt: it said “Jesus was Batman”‘on the back: so mum wouldn’t let me wear it to church.

went to any gig or festival I could (t in the park was nearby). My cousin was in some Glasgow indie bands (obscure Bands in the 90s, but a band in the 00s hit it big). Went to one of his gigs when I was 15 in king tuts: his girlfriend fell overherself to find out who the bird was he was chatting to…

Ah… good times
---
I wonder if it's Liam Gallagher, with the bananas green bit and his Pretty Green stuff.
I’ll be honest, I cannot imagine Liam is a pedi. He’s a bit of a slag and that. But no way a 13 year old. Don’t see it at all
---
Were they fuck ghostwritten 👏🏻😂👏🏻😂😂😂😂😂😂
---
Sorry, my one golden rule as an Oasis fan is that I don’t need to defend them on the internet, because I know they don’t give a shit, but that is just too funny,
Saw a mention of New Wave of New Wave so I present to you:

S*M*A*S*H
I loved that song “shame”. I always thought he said “you got 2 years in corton vale prison”

• Heart

LittleMissOnions

VIP Member
SFA did have some great songs at the time, I liked Ice Hockey Hair, Something 4 The Weekend, and Northern Lites, but I think they lost the general appeal they had. They were very Welsh and I wonder if that was a factor. I know the lead singer released an album in Welsh which is completely fine but isn't going to have mass appeal.
I’ve met Gruff Rhys the lead singer of SFA a few times, lovely man, very welsh that’s for sure, it’s his first language.

• Heart

Cáca_Milis

VIP Member
I absolutely love My Bloody Valentine, the Loveless album is one of my favourites. Its interesting how none of those bands tried to cash in on people's nostalgia like Blur, Primal Scream, Oasis etc etc. They were a bit too good and pure.
Saw Blur play in 1992 in a long since closed venue called McGonagle's just off Grafton St., Dublin. The tickets cost 6 Irish Pound and 50 pence! Wish I still had the stub. I was always a fan of theirs. Leisure is a phenomenal album. Went off them a bit for Parklife. That whole Cockney lad style wasn't for me.

Hated Primal Scream with a PASSION. Moving on Up, Loaded and Rocks can get in the bin. Over rated, over played, over lauded SHITE. I'm still convinced the painful Bobby Gillespie is the long lost brother or even son of the equally painful Chrissie Hynde ( I don't care if she would have been only 10 when he was born). There's just no way they're not from the same gene pool.

• Haha

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
I really need to check out these books! I have Miki Berenyi’s but not read it yet.

Does anyone remember Raw magazine? It started out more heavy-rock orientated but covered more indie bands when britpop took off. It had really good interviews and gig reviews.

I love so much of the britpop music, indie, and so many other genres from around that time, there’s so much to say!

I LOVED Oasis, and still do. I know they’re not for everyone, and I respect that, I’m not going to try and change anyone’s minds! 🤣
But one of the reasons I love them is because their music was so uplifting, and the lyrics were so positive.

This quote from Noel on why he wrote Live Forever sums it up.

IMG_4588.jpeg

ETA. I shouldn’t even mention Oasis here, they always rejected the Britpop label and said they were rock n roll. I wonder now if any bands actually said they were britpop?

Last edited:
  • Heart

D_Wills

VIP Member
My other half will fight you for Damon 😅 He absolutely idolises him! He keeps buying all the same clobber he is wearing, all the old vintage fila stuff 😂

We were at the Colchester come back gig in May, it was mental, and can you belive only £25 a ticket! A tiny venue, so to literally see the whites of Damons eyes was quite something. My 12 year old self couldn't quite believe it 😍 I did feel like a bit of an imposter I must admit, it was full of proper hardcore blur fans, like my other half, who I think had the best night of his life! Whereas I only really knew the 90s bangers.

I'm hoping to go to Liams definitely maybe tour next year that he keeps promising. I've got a major soft spot for Liam and his twitter posts are my guilty pleasure 😂

• Heart
  • Haha

Boogs

VIP Member
I had bottle green DM knock offs as a teen, and that colour surprisingly goes with almost everything.
That was the message I was waiting for! Sod it I’m going to go for it. I already have green trainers that I wear a lot.

ETA - I did it!
IMG_6701.png

Last edited:
  • Heart