Brit Pop

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Grip of addiction. He was a heroin addict allegedly for a long time. There are so many who are lucky to have made it out that time alive, much like rockstars before and since.

Reactions: 7
He's also mentioned previously that were it not for his daughter and partner, he'd still be a user.

The Burger King cup was heavily nostalgic as well. You know that would have been just lukewarm bitter bean juice.

Reactions: 2
Grip of addiction. He was a heroin addict allegedly for a long time. There are so many who are lucky to have made it out that time alive, much like rockstars before and since.
There's no allegedly about it. He's been a heroin user for years. He's spoken about how it made him very productive, which is not something you'd expect from heroin.

There is quite a bit about heroin in Pearl Lowe's biog so it was probably a thing in Brit Pop.

brett anderson was a crack addict. i think he did do a lot of heroin as well. a lot of people blame justine for their addictions but both of them would have been addicts without her

There is quite a bit about heroin in Pearl Lowe's biog so it was probably a thing in Brit Pop.

Reactions: 8
brett anderson was a crack addict. i think he did do a lot of heroin as well. a lot of people blame justine for their addictions but both of them would have been addicts without her
There's also the tired narrative that a woman is to blame. As though a junkie wouldn't be able to get it without her. Jesus 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 11
It was so crappy of Damon to insinuate that he got addicted because she started doing it first. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions 🙄🙄

Reactions: 16
I never realised it was crack he was on, that feels really seedy for some reason (as is heroin obvs). I remember him being on the front of NME, having lost weight on a 'brown rice diet' and begging my mum to let me exist on the same, which she did, knowing I'd last a day. Little did I know, eh. Maybe I should have asked her if the crack/heroin diet was OK 😳

Reactions: 12
As far as Brit Pop goes, Slide Away by Oasis is one of the best songs of all time nevermind just the '90s.

• Heart
Donna Mathews from Elastica introduced heroin to Justine & Co, apparently her mother was an addict too. :(

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
As far as Brit Pop goes, Slide Away by Oasis is one of the best songs of all time nevermind just the '90s.
Absolutely. It's a bleeping EPIC tune. Saw an Oasis tribute band earlier this year and they played it. I almost cried. 🤩🤩🤩

• Heart
We have an Oasis ‘rave about‘ thread if anyones’s interested!

• Heart
There's also the tired narrative that a woman is to blame. As though a junkie wouldn't be able to get it without her. Jesus 🙄🙄🙄
Same with other women around that time in the 1990s. Donna Matthews from Elastica got flak for it and I think also Pearl Lowe and Courtney Love. Seems women who took drugs were deemed to be far worse.

according to John Harris's book "the last party", elastica's Annie holland, the bass player was a career junkie who introduced it to the rest of the band.
Justine was remained clean until their last american tour when she decided to give it a go. The author does come across to me like he loves Frischman describing her as beautiful and many other compliments, maybe he's a personal friend protecting her reputation who knows?
Inside, there are a couple of startling photo's; A group called Menswear when they got their first record deal looking dapper in tuxedos then 12 months down the line looking like total pin heads. (Harris also "blamed" Donna Mathews for getting clean cut menswear hooked as she was dating on the the members) Such an interesting book I've read it about 5 times. I actually bought it three times as firnds have "borrowed" it. So, yeah it's very pro Blur and very very pro Frischman.
I always thought Lush were like shoegazers until about 1995 they changed their sound to more jangly indie (probably to cash in on the britpop wave). Love that song 500 shake baby shake.

Reactions: 6
Love this thread!

I have to say I never quite understood Justine and her incredible ravishing beauty. Her androgynous look was effortlessly cool and I got that, but clearly she must have a je ne sais quoi that really appeals to a certain breed to Britpop obsessed bloke, that totally flew over my head.

Speaking of Menswear, I stumbled across Jonny Dean’s Twitter account a while back and he was diagnosed with autism after a mental health collapse around ten years ago. My first thought was “ah yes, that makes sense” 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Did I hear the sound of my Menswe@r radar pinging? 🤣 i think Donna was maybe dating Chris.

I think I get the Justine thing. She seemed very self assured, intelligent and pretty talented, so I can see the appeal there though also looked a wee bit stinky at the time

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Did I hear the sound of my Menswe@r radar pinging? 🤣 i think Donna was maybe dating Chris.

I think I get the Justine thing. She seemed very self assured, intelligent and pretty talented, so I can see the appeal there though also looked a wee bit stinky at the time
Also with the Justine thing...I am sure I read that Brett Anderson said she was the poshest person he had ever met...but she had the brownest teeth he had ever seen. 😳

Yes Donna Matthews dated Chris Gentry for a while, I was so jealous.

• Haha