Brit Pop

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I heard an acoustic version of Parklife on the radio today, with Damon doing the Phil Daniels parts and the rest of the band adding shouty harmonies. I'd never heard that before.
We just finished watching “House of the Dragon” and every tine Phil Daniels pops up all I hear in my head is “Parklife”.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
No, his career highlight was the Britpop-era sitcom Sunnyside Farm, which had a theme tune by Blur and starred Mark Addy and Matt Lucas.

Reactions: 3
He is apparently a waiter in Bugsy Malone as well.

Does anyone else remember Damon Albarn trying to act in Face, with Ray Winstone and Phil Davis?

Reactions: 5
What a great thread! I was/am a huge fan of Suede, Supergrass, Super Furry Animals, Pulp, The Bluetones, The Verve, The Coral (perhaps a bit later?) And Starsailor were a favourite too.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
A
Ha, all your stories remind me of the time, I started to wear my Nike windbreaker like jacket, from a whole suit, to school, and my mum was really desperate and cried, because she was so conservative and middle class and couldn’t bare her teenage daughter dressing in working class clothes.
My first Britpop-shoes were Coxon-in-his-skater-era inspired I‘m afraid. Red Etnies, a very thick shoe, which looked horrendous on my wide and high feet.
I read the Oasis-biography by Paolo Hewitt religiously, where a band called blur was mentioned quite often, which made me curious, so I bought MLIR as first blur record (in 1999, mind you…). The others followed quickly, as my guilty conscience for Oasis was slowly overcame. 😇
I infected 4 of my closest friends, but otherwise we were quite alone late 90s, being Britpop-fans in Austria. I mean we probably were not, but we just didn’t know any other people. I’m born 1985, so we were a bit late to the party.
A Nike jacket isn’t working class, a no brand copy is. A Nike jacket is ‘street wear’. Certainly the case in the 90’s.😀

I saw it in the cinema, entirely for Damon 😅
All two lines before his character gets shot!
Trying to think of more films you could call Britpop movies. I think the resurgence of the cheeky Cockney gangster film was related to the whole Cool Britannia thing.

All two lines before his character gets shot!
Trying to think of more films you could call Britpop movies. I think the resurgence of the cheeky Cockney gangster film was related to the whole Cool Britannia thing.
Trainspotting was probably as Britpop as it gets.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
A

A Nike jacket isn’t working class, a no brand copy is. A Nike jacket is ‘street wear’. Certainly the case in the 90’s.😀
Go tell my mum. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Tell my mum too 🤣 I absolutely nagged mine for a Berghaus jacket and mine were absolutely skint but just saved for them as they were value for money but super dear then. I'm in my forties now and still have the waterproof outside bit (it is *snug*) 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
In „A life less ordinary“ there is this scene, in which Ewan blasts out an oasis-song really loudly. Might has been Round are Way. Sountrack-wise, The Beach is also very britpoppy.
Ewan McGregor was meant to star in The Beach but was replaced by Leo due to the success of Titanic. Ewan didn't talk to Danny Boyle for a long time after that.

Wasn't keen on the film itself, the book was much better. Especially the ending.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Trainspotting was probably as Britpop as it gets.
not made during the era but the show my mad fat diary is literally just britpop music. it’s about teenagers in the mid 90s. it’s genuinely a great show because of the story and how it deals with mental illness but the soundtrack is godly

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Tell my mum too 🤣 I absolutely nagged mine for a Berghaus jacket and mine were absolutely skint but just saved for them as they were value for money but super dear then. I'm in my forties now and still have the waterproof outside bit (it is *snug*) 🤣
back in the day (1995 / 1996) in North West of England it was:

berghaus if your parents were loaded
Helly Hansen if they weren’t rich weren’t poor
Sprayaway if you were a povvo

Sweatershop jumpers…less britpop and just for girls who were in to pop pop?

not made during the era but the show my mad fat diary is literally just britpop music. it’s about teenagers in the mid 90s. it’s genuinely a great show because of the story and how it deals with mental illness but the soundtrack is godly
Oh yes the Spotify playlist to MMFD I listened to for months ❤

Reactions: 2
back in the day (1995 / 1996) in North West of England it was:

berghaus if your parents were loaded
Helly Hansen if they weren’t rich weren’t poor
Sprayaway if you were a povvo

Sweatershop jumpers…less britpop and just for girls who were in to pop pop?
And now it’s Helly Hansen for adults who don’t want to be associated with The North Face🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6