Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheRockingReverend

And what would be great is for Shane Meadows to finish off his 'This is England' anthology with 1996 (perfect logical choice) as the sounds, fashions and sights of Britpop play out against that amazing Euro 96 summer - oh and so we may find out what happened to Combo.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I've only met one member of Blur, the drummer Dave Rowntree. He spoke at a conference for me on the subject of social housing a few years ago. I can't speak highly enough about the fella.
He currently has a Ukrainian family staying at his home in Godalming, Surrey. Admittedly he has the space, but what a lovely thing to do.

• Heart

digsydelilah

Chatty Member
Anyone remember Cast? Found the single guiding star in my old cd stash….Ah memories.
I loved Cast! I wish I had caught them live. I listen to their Mother Nature Calls album quite often, it's so beautiful. I bought tons of cds at that time and ended up selling or donating most of them apart from Oasis, Blur and Supergrass (SG whom I love, no regrets there), I should have kept the more singular, interesting stuff. A lot of packed, sweaty gigs, smoking, drinking, reading the music papers and magazines, watching and recording music tv, wild adventures where your feet didn't touch the ground for 48 hours...it was a great time, I look back and it was like I was another person. Happy I had the chance!

• Heart

Silverback

VIP Member
I saw dodgy at the Brixton academy. They were amazing.
I have such a soft spot for Dodgy ❤

The Britpop era was while I was at school and uni. There’s a photo of me somewhere in an original Oasis baby tee aged about 15. Started going to gigs a couple of years later, saw a lot of Primal Scream, Underworld, Manics, SFA, Blur, and Oasis at Wembley. Great times.

SFA were great when I saw them live- bouncing in the mosh pit to The Man Don’t Give a Fuck was a highlight. Pulp were fab too.

I loved SFA at the time but I think they were definitely of the time and I’d never listen to them now.

I’ve loved reading about everyone’s 90’s fashion! I had cords and Acupuncture trainers- remember those?!

Oh and by the way re Graham Coxon- he’s a total shit bag. Shagged young fans in his house while his wife and small child were out. Left his wife in America during covid and fucked off back to England alone. Left her with fuck all money and PTSD. She has photos on her insta of her with bruises which seem to be due to him.

• Wow
  • Angry

orpheus

It was so shitty of Damon to insinuate that he got addicted because she started doing it first. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions 🙄🙄

Reactions: 16

jazzmonster

Chatty Member
Man, I didn’t nearly get to see as many gigs as I should have done, but I feel so privileged to have seen Blur, Suede, the Manics, Radiohead, The Divine Comedy and some others before mobile phones were a thing.

• Heart

Peonyrose

VIP Member
Does anyone remember free cd’s being given away with magazines back in the 90’s? They usually had songs from the lesser known Britpop bands…that’s how I got to know the smaller bands. I vaguely remember one that had Elastica and Mansun on it. It’s probably still in my childhood bedroom, if my mother hasn’t thrown it out along with everything else I owned from that time.

Boogs

VIP Member
I did get my old dog a Parka that made her look like she should be back in the 90’s and mad for it (shit pic to crop out child)
IMG_6743.png

• Haha
  • Heart
I'm going to see Pulp next week and am v v excited as I only managed to see them post 90's. Blur would have been amazing too, am v jealous of that one.

I am also not ashamed to admit that my main Britpop regret is not seeing Menswe@r 🤣

• Heart

caremum

VIP Member
Dog man star holds up to the test of time. Jarvis I adore. I also love Divine Comedy. Music was so diverse I the 90s. I love it all

• Heart

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
What amazes me is how alternative music evolved so often, and so quickly in the 90s. Indie music was so different in the early 90 compared to the mid 90s, then again different in late 90s.

and what made it such an exciting time as a music lover was that simultaneously, the same thing was happening in dance music! so many new genres within the genre.

Reactions: 15

Carefree

VIP Member
Well he's just split with his partner of 25 years so you might be in with a chance!
He does live locally to me too... But the whole pocket rocket, possible junkie and neck tattoo makes it a no from me. (I know, he'll be devastated).

I once saw Divine Comedy at V Festival, in Chelmsford, and Neil covered Maneater by Nelly Futardo. He dedicated it to the crowd, with some chat about it being appropriate for an Essex crowd, and you could have heard a pin drop. I was almost wetting myself with laughter, mind 🤭

• Haha

chickhicks86

VIP Member
Well I've spent the last 14 pages reading about my Spotify time capsule (how does it know? :unsure: ). 16 year old me is much saddened by some of the tea that has been spilled in this thread, but some lovely memories too. What a time to be alive that era was!

I thought both Blur and Oasis were shite though.

• Haha

Boogs

VIP Member
Just in case anyone is tempted by Solovair boots I only ordered them on Thursday and they are here already.

They do feel stiff so I’m wearing them tied loosely with thick socks around the house to try and break them in. Excuse the mid yawn dog who clearly finds them boring.

IMG_6728.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha

GossipMongoose

VIP Member
When you think about it, it’s really distasteful that Popbitch have presented a story about statutory r*pe as if it‘s just another of their “nudge nudge, wink wink” stories.

It goes without saying that if true, the guy is the real sicko here, but it’s still really grim from Popbitch.
And used ‘green bananas’ as euphemism for a young black girl, given the dog whistle racist connotations. Not even dog whistle. It’s blatant.

Peonyrose

VIP Member
I just watched a video on britpopglory on instagram that had Damon Albarn as a guest presenter (remember them?) on TOTP introducing Oasis🤣He described them as ’five pretty boys from Manchester’ and Liam was shaking a sunflower behind Damon’s head🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
I'm watching Blur on BBC 2 and thinking about a meme I saw earlier that was something along the lines of the music you listen to at 14 during the crisis of teenage years, is the music you'll listen to forever.

I was 14 when I was introduced to Indie and Brit Pop by my boyfriend. Before that I was into Cliff Richard, Guy Mitchell and Right Said Fred (I was an odd child). It's definitely true that I still listen to all of the songs from that time and I feel enormous comfort from them. At times I can be transported back to that period in time. It's odd in a way, that I get so much happiness from it because I was quite severely depressed for a large part of the ensuing 12 months. I didn't realise what it was at the time of course. I think I've always found solace of some sort in music.

*I still listen to Cliff, Guy and RSF too though and I'm not sorry 😆.

• Heart

Boredofgrey

VIP Member
Argh the curse of the phones. I was plagued by some twat holding his phone in my eyeline at a gig recently so I waited till the last verse of the song and absolutely bellowed it out of tune (channelling the spirit of those women at The Bodguard in Manchester) at him. He won't be putting that on YouTube.
This is my party piece too…….and I’m truly tone deaf. People with phones at gigs get on my tits. You’ll never watch the video and no one on socials wants to hear a gig they’re not at……..

• Heart

Boogs

VIP Member
The bored/not cute dog ate a hole in the pocket of my waterproof coat today as there were treats inside. Free to a good home 🤨
IMG_6740.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 14