Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I’m not surprised about this. I try hard not to be sycophantic about anyone - especially royalty - but I help out with Caritas Westminster sometimes at their night shelters and feeding points for the local homeless community.

They work closely with The Passage, the homeless charity located in the shadow of Westminster Cathedral.

Two of the times I’ve been on duty Prince William has been there too, being comfortably ordered around by a matriarch like goddess of a West Indian lady who has apparently known Prince William since he was a teenager and gave him lots of kisses and pinched his cheeks.

I was too chicken/busy to say anything to him, however, he seemed to work hard and was lovely to the clients, most of whom seemed oblivious to who he was.

I’m sure lots of people do ‘a lot of great work for charidee and don’t like to talk about it,’ but one of the nights I was on I saw him asked to mop up an unfortunate and smelly ‘incident’ and he just got on with it. He also got ticked off by a clueless member of the public for ‘encouraging vagrancy’ by helping out and he gave them a right look. A sound person, I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Those kids sat through hours of stuff that had little interest to them.

Prince Louis did incredibly well IMO. I was half expecting Catherine or William to get a phone out for him to watch something tbh :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 39

kev1974

VIP Member
I decided not to watch the concert last night as it was the same boring lot as usual
Surely some classical music could have been featured or songs from musicals that were popular when the Queen was a youngster. She probably switched channels like me.
Who cares about the dreadful performances and song-butcherings when there was a Corgi in the Sky

THERE WAS A CORGI IN THE SKY!!!

:love::love:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I have felt this too about the whole thing. Not sure if it’s my age but a lot of the joy from 2013 seems missing.
I thought it was miles better. There was no need for Diana Ross when Shirley Bassey’s still knocking bangers out of the park. Rod Stewart and the leggy blonde (yawn) backing singers were cringe. Poor George Ezra. HOWEVER, the rest was pretty great and those projections/the drone show was incredible. Also, no Gary Barlow. There’s the win right there. No Gary Barlow.

Did it seem more joyful in 2012 (not 2013)? Probably, but the Jubilee was closely followed by the Olympics so we all had that to look forward to.

Also, this jubilee is tinged with sadness as we can all be pretty sure it will be the Queen’s last. I think there’s a sense of saying goodbye, as well as celebration.

I drank a bottle of M&S Jubilee strawberry liqueur yesterday at a party in our cul de sac yesterday and fell asleep in my neighbour’s (empty) hot tub. Doxxing myself, I know, but I’m having a lovely time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
I wonder if the Cambridge kids will be at the pageant tomorrow? It sounds great fun for the kids, but George & Charlotte will be knackered.

More so when you consider that if their brother is anything like my youngest he will be hugely narked off to not have been considered old enough to be allowed out out with his siblings tonight. Reckon he’ll be jumping on them at 5.30 am in revenge, letting off his loudest toys in their ears.

Hope their parents say ‘fuck it’ and pull an ‘unauthorised absence’ day from school for the older two on Monday. Those kids have been absolute troopers and deserve a day in their pyjamas, eating string cheese in front of the Disney Channel.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
The problem is he hasn't found anything which would generate enough income for the lifestyle they want.

I dunno perhaps RF should agree to fund them for another 2 years? Trouble is that could go on forever
Neither have I. Who knew I had anything in common with Prince Harry.

• Haha
  • Heart

Honeystar

VIP Member
Honestly I can’t believe the reaction some people have had to poor Louis. He’s just turned 4 and clearly has a lot of energy. I took my 5 year old niece to the cinema last week, we left after 20 minutes because she wouldn’t sit still and just couldn’t concentrate. We went at Christmas and she was good as gold. Kids have different moods and to be honest I was zoning off watching the parade, most kids in that situation would be handed an iPad to entertain them but imagine the uproar if Kate had done that! I think Charlotte is a classic “girly girl” and probably gets a bit frustrated having a boisterous little brother who takes a lot of attention, I was exactly the same with my brother as kids and I love him dearly now! If the kids had sat still for 2 hours everyone would be going “oh let them be kids they should be running around not sat stiff” sometimes you just cannot win.

Also, the people saying “if I’d have done that I’d have got a good slap” or “my kids know what will happen if they did that”….yikes we’re in 2022 I thought the days of scaring our kids into submission were over.

• Heart

Whatamadworld

Chatty Member
Seeing the queen at 96 makes me realise that I don't want to live that long even if it was possible to happen, which is doubtful. I'd be ecstatic with another 40 years and I'm currently 35.

Makes you realise how important it is to live life while young because old age is a bitch even for those with wealth and privilege.

Reactions: 31

MrsSlocombe

VIP Member
Those kids sat through hours of stuff that had little interest to them.

Prince Louis did incredibly well IMO. I was half expecting Catherine or William to get a phone out for him to watch something tbh :ROFLMAO:
I bet that Nanny Maria was on standby lol. Seriously though. Every single parent has been in situations where they'd really like their kid to behave perfectly, but instead what they've done is just act like a typical kid for their age. Most parents don't have millions of people watching them when that happens. If they look stressed by it, they are judged. If they had removed him, they would have been judged. If they had given him toys or snacks to help keep him quiet, they would have been judged. They smile, look happy, try not to show that they wish the situation wasn't happening, they are judged.

Reactions: 29

Chinese_whispers

VIP Member
I definately think the Queen is deteriorating mentally and physically.

Remember when she did the scene with Daniel Craig for the 2012 Olympics - completely straight/stern faced. She was also photographed during the opening ceremony looking totally bored and never seemed to crack a smile.

Contrast this with 10yrs later and the sketch with Paddington Bear - she's beaming and delivering a punchline. And then seems to joining in with Queen (the band)

This isn't the Queen I remember.
She’s deteriorating mentally because she did a sketch “with” a well loved, popular character and seemed to be singing along with a world famous band? Maybe she thought 2012s opening ceremony was shit 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28

Chinese_whispers

VIP Member
I dunno perhaps RF should agree to fund them for another 2 years? Trouble is that could go on forever
Why should they? He’s a 30-something year old father of two who inherited millions from his mother and Meghan I’m sure is well off too. If they can’t make it work that’s their problem.

regularvoltaire

I have autistic children. I DREAM of them behaving as well as Louis when they were his age! He was an absolute sweetheart, its gorgeous to see kids just being kids, whether that's George, Charlotte, Louis, Savannahs, any of them.

And yes, if we had seen Archie, and if he had acted like that, I would have laughed and thought it was lovely. It makes no difference who the kids parents are, if they're being daft and acting up like ALL OTHER KIDS, it's endearing.

For the record, all the people of twitter saying Louis should have been smacked, shame on them. Violence is never the answer to anything, especially a natural reaction to having to sit and endure an event designed for adults. Just because they were afraid of their parents growing up, doesn't mean its right.

Love seeing the royal children. ALL of them. Such a shame we didn't get a chance to see Lili and Archie. It would have been so nice to see them with their cousins.

• Heart

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Literally driving along Notting hill gate to get to KP where homeless people sleep in doorways with their sleeping bags.
Lives in a palace with empty rooms.
How many other people drive or walk past homeless people and have spare rooms at home? It's a bit of lazy comment to make.

As @hannah123 pointed out people give to food banks but still live their lives shopping at M&S and the like. No one is inviting starving families around for dinner.

As far as I'm concerned William is there to raise awareness not solve all the problems.,

• Heart
Reactions: 27

BonBon27

VIP Member
To be fair, she does have excellent comic timing 😃
She’s brilliant, I just love her! What an absolute legend.
I do feel this jubilee has been less of a massive celebration and more to honour her and give thanks, like a tribute and goodbye. Bless her, with all the will in the world she isn’t going to be around forever and 96 is a bloody good age! I wonder if there is a health issue they have kept private and whether she’s been determined to get through this event, and now might deteriorate. We’ll see I guess.

I can’t imagine too much of a celebration for Charles when it’s his coronation to be honest 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Boring Monday

VIP Member
What I find funny, is that Anne is basically the embodiment of the stiff upper lip. I think her type of people are great for the job but have problems translating well to others. Less in person but in the media circus.
Personally, I can deal with the stiffness and reserved behaviour much better than people telling me all about their every thought and emotion. That’s obviously subjective preference though.
I don’t think Anne could give 2 figs about the media circus. She never played that game at all and had absolutely no interest at all in being a clothes horse, she’s still wearing stuff now that first saw the light of day in the 1970’s. She does just the job and does it very well.

Really, she would have been the ideal person to mentor Harry, because she seemed to have carved out exactly what he said he wanted … public persona and private life. She managed to have a career as an Olympic Equestrian and was sports personality of the year all while being a working Royal, fighting off a kidnapper, keeping her children out the spotlight and her marriage out the tabloids. That’s some going.

(Didn’t she also say something like that it took her a good 10 years before she felt confident enough to take part in Save the Children’s debates because she had to understand how it worked so she had to do the spadework first?).

Reactions: 26