The Royal Family #15

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What I find funny, is that Anne is basically the embodiment of the stiff upper lip. I think her type of people are great for the job but have problems translating well to others. Less in person but in the media circus.
Personally, I can deal with the stiffness and reserved behaviour much better than people telling me all about their every thought and emotion. That’s obviously subjective preference though.

Reactions: 13
What I find funny, is that Anne is basically the embodiment of the stiff upper lip. I think her type of people are great for the job but have problems translating well to others. Less in person but in the media circus.
Personally, I can deal with the stiffness and reserved behaviour much better than people telling me all about their every thought and emotion. That’s obviously subjective preference though.
I'm very much like Anne which is probably why I like her. She is her fathers daughter.

There are people in world who just thrive on drama. I can't deal with that and over dramatic people.

Reactions: 17
I don’t think Anne could give 2 figs about the media circus. She never played that game at all and had absolutely no interest at all in being a clothes horse, she’s still wearing stuff now that first saw the light of day in the 1970’s. She does just the job and does it very well.

Really, she would have been the ideal person to mentor Harry, because she seemed to have carved out exactly what he said he wanted … public persona and private life. She managed to have a career as an Olympic Equestrian and was sports personality of the year all while being a working Royal, fighting off a kidnapper, keeping her children out the spotlight and her marriage out the tabloids. That’s some going.

(Didn’t she also say something like that it took her a good 10 years before she felt confident enough to take part in Save the Children’s debates because she had to understand how it worked so she had to do the spadework first?).

Reactions: 26
i think the pure fact that most of those alleged situations are retold with “I heard” and have no further evidence says it all. The RF has power but some people really over estimate things. If there are pictures they find a way to the surface. Harry and the costume and his balls in Vegas, Virginia and Andrew (and the original is nowhere to be found, still you find it if you search it), William and the girls on his skiing trip, Charles and Camilla’s phone leaks….. there is also really no evidence that the heirs get away with more. If that were the case we wouldn’t have seen the witch hunt and articles about Charles regarding Camilla and Wiliams alleged affair and so on. Not once did we get a complaint or statement.
The tabloids write what they like and they have their own logic as to what will sell. Is there pressure for certain angles or to crush certain stories? For sure. But those stories always find a way.
Maybe Wiliam and Charles are just a bit more careful around who they go crazy with and make sure no photos exist?
I can also believe that the royal institution tries a tad more to keep the heir out of trouble. I mean that’s only logic? In most companies if tit goes down it’s never the really important board and other big players that go - it’s only the expendables. The company would never get rid of the people it needs to survive no matter how crappy they are. Of course a family should work differently, but the Firm doesn’t.
H seems to have a massive problem with distinguishing the private and the professional realm and his position in both. I can see that it’s complicated for all as both are pretty interwoven and that the professional realm impacts the private one in a very unhealthy way. To step back would probably have been a good idea to untangle it a bit. Sadly he didn’t realise that certain perks are the goodie package for taking the bad stuff.
And I will say this- no one forced him to act as if his family was the bestest ever. The family she never had? Charles walking her down the isle? If things were already uncomfortable (as they alluded in the interview) he wasn’t forced to go along with the lie and certainly not to sell
it even further. H exposed himself the most. No one could have come up with certain things if he would have been more careful and thought twice (or asked actually smart people). They are all their own worst enemies.
This is something I have a problem with when believing Harry was consistently thrown under the bus. People had cameras at this party and managed to get a picture of Harry dressed as a Nazi but not a single person got one of William? Or in any of the other times where the RF have protected William? The press published stories of Charles wanting to be Camillas tampon but wouldn’t post William dressed in black face because the RF asked them not to, I struggle believing it, and idc how loyal of a friend someone is, everyone has a price and would sell those pictures to the press.

Reactions: 23
This is something I have a problem with when believing Harry was consistently thrown under the bus. People had cameras at this party and managed to get a picture of Harry dressed as a Nazi but not a single person got one of William? Or in any of the other times where the RF have protected William? The press published stories of Charles wanting to be Camillas tampon but wouldn’t post William dressed in black face because the RF asked them not to, I struggle believing it, and idc how loyal of a friend someone is, everyone has a price and would sell those pictures to the press.
I completely agree with this. If the press had a juicy story on William then they'd go for it. If the Cambridges then refused to work with that paper again they'd look very petty and would draw more attention to the original story. I can well believe that there's deals done behind the scenes - like promote me doing this and I'll give you this interview or these pictures but I don't think that the press would hold back on a really good exclusive.
Also, Harry was more popular than William until his marriage - partly due to his 'one of the lads' persona - so I doubt that William's PR team were actively working against him. The Nazi pictures or the Vegas pictures didn't appear to do him much damage at the time.

Reactions: 11
I don’t think Anne could give 2 figs about the media circus. She never played that game at all and had absolutely no interest at all in being a clothes horse, she’s still wearing stuff now that first saw the light of day in the 1970’s. She does just the job and does it very well.

Really, she would have been the ideal person to mentor Harry, because she seemed to have carved out exactly what he said he wanted … public persona and private life. She managed to have a career as an Olympic Equestrian and was sports personality of the year all while being a working Royal, fighting off a kidnapper, keeping her children out the spotlight and her marriage out the tabloids. That’s some going.

(Didn’t she also say something like that it took her a good 10 years before she felt confident enough to take part in Save the Children’s debates because she had to understand how it worked so she had to do the spadework first?).
I know people who have contact with Anne though her work with one of her charities. They describe her as well briefed and knowledgeable about the subject she's talking about. Many years ago, she attended a function for the charity I worked for. Despite being told by her lady in waiting she was over her time and needed to leave, she made sure to speak to everyone who had attended. She seemed quite genuine.

Ps as part of this function, I got my photo taken with Anne. My mum was well chuffed and it felt like she took it with her to every bingo hall in Glasgow!!!

Reactions: 24
I completely agree with this. If the press had a juicy story on William then they'd go for it. If the Cambridges then refused to work with that paper again they'd look very petty and would draw more attention to the original story. I can well believe that there's deals done behind the scenes - like promote me doing this and I'll give you this interview or these pictures but I don't think that the press would hold back on a really good exclusive.
Also, Harry was more popular than William until his marriage - partly due to his 'one of the lads' persona - so I doubt that William's PR team were actively working against him. The Nazi pictures or the Vegas pictures didn't appear to do him much damage at the time.
Exactly, it’s the same with the cheating rumours. People really think the if the press had evidence of it that they’d be satisfied and happy to report “Meghan’s neighbours don’t like her” in exchange for not printing that another future king and the child of Diana, the unlucky in love peoples princess, has cheated on his wife and the mother of his 3 children. C’mon now

Reactions: 11
I can’t see a way the cheating stories aren’t true, i felt massively disappointed by William at the time but what’s gone on has gone on and clearly they’ve decided to stay together so it’s in the past.

I won’t be surprised if old ginger nuts and his batshit wife try to bring it up at some point though.

It’s crazy that William and Charles are even having to have conversations about still needing to deal with Andrew, he’s supposed to already be out of the picture what part of that doesn’t he understand.

Reactions: 1
Exactly, it’s the same with the cheating rumours. People really think the if the press had evidence of it that they’d be satisfied and happy to report “Meghan’s neighbours don’t like her” in exchange for not printing that another future king and the child of Diana, the unlucky in love peoples princess, has cheated on his wife and the mother of his 3 children. C’mon now
Harry and Meghan deserve some of the flak they (even a LOT of it!).

However, Harry has DEFINITELY been thrown under the bus. This has always happened to the spare but this is far nastier. Things were OK when Harry knew his place as joker brother but we’re always going to turn sour when he brought a wife onto the scene. Kate had some negative press but the Meghan stuff (whatever we think of her) is really quite disturbing.

Harry is spoilt and didn’t handle it well but it must have been devastating to see stories constantly leaked about the woman he loves.

It’s all SO dysfunctional.

Harry can’t be compared with Princess Anne - she is Princess Royale, would have been offered more protection and is a different character anyway. Agree she could have mentored but they don’t seem to be that type of family.

The puff pieces on William approaching his 40th are🤢 Even the disastrous Caribbean tour not his fault in any way. He is a saint and Harry the weak devil! Even footage of William actually interacting with one of his children other than George trotted out! It’s all this constant PR spin that makes me sick of them.

As for the whole Early Years thing….

Reactions: 14
I can’t see a way the cheating stories aren’t true, i felt massively disappointed by William at the time but what’s gone on has gone on and clearly they’ve decided to stay together so it’s in the past.

I won’t be surprised if old ginger nuts and his batshit wife try to bring it up at some point though.

It’s crazy that William and Charles are even having to have conversations about still needing to deal with Andrew, he’s supposed to already be out of the picture what part of that doesn’t he understand.
I don’t think things have changed terribly much with the media in that respect since the world and his wife knew that Edward was romancing Mrs Simpson … except the people back in the UK due to her being completely unreported and cut out of the pictures they printed.

Charles and Camilla were a touch different because Diana was hellbent on everyone knowing and made sure of it … but how long had it been trundling along before she went nuclear? Once she opened the floodgates it was open season, but before that not so much.

William and Kate managed to take all the kids away to Jordan in the summer with no one knowing anything about it until they dropped a couple of photos.

I wouldn’t like to say one way or the other … but just using the it wasn’t in the paper’s reasoning doesn’t really fly either.

(the other thing to remember is that there is a vested interest by more than one party in having the monarch in a stable, faithful relationship. They are going to be Head of The Church and Defender of the Faith. Charles has barely managed to hang on by his fingertips, and it still gets trotted out as a reason why he should be skipped in the line of succession … having a successor in the same boat could be seen by some as problematical).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Harry and Meghan deserve some of the flak they (even a LOT of it!).

However, Harry has DEFINITELY been thrown under the bus. This has always happened to the spare but this is far nastier. Things were OK when Harry knew his place as joker brother but we’re always going to turn sour when he brought a wife onto the scene. Kate had some negative press but the Meghan stuff (whatever we think of her) is really quite disturbing.

Harry is spoilt and didn’t handle it well but it must have been devastating to see stories constantly leaked about the woman he loves.

It’s all SO dysfunctional.

Harry can’t be compared with Princess Anne - she is Princess Royale, would have been offered more protection and is a different character anyway. Agree she could have mentored but they don’t seem to be that type of family.

The puff pieces on William approaching his 40th are🤢 Even the disastrous Caribbean tour not his fault in any way. He is a saint and Harry the weak devil! Even footage of William actually interacting with one of his children other than George trotted out! It’s all this constant PR spin that makes me sick of them.

As for the whole Early Years thing….
I completely agree with every word of this.
I think we all have to remember that this is a big game - the Royal family is made of competing press offices who all want their agendas front and centre for the members they represent. The RF is not a normal family in that regard.

KP were totally briefing against Harry and Meghan that whole year before they left for North America. It was so obvious; as soon as they left Britain, all the hearsay stories from anonymous sources suddenly vanished. Because KP didn't have access to them anymore.

H&M have no doubt made mistakes and I think it's obvious that M hasn't quite understood the very nebulous and fragile tensions that exist between the public and the RF, but the Palaces have absolutely stoked those misunderstandings for their own gain. Meghan outshone them all and they couldn't let that fly- she had to be stopped.

The William at 40 stories are hilarious. Basically, it boils down to this narrative:

He's not interested in being king but has become resigned to it.
Lots of courtiers have been scrabbling around trying to find a legacy project for him to be interested in. Climate Action? Elephants? Homeless people?
He has a very patient wife.
He hates Andrew and wants everyone to know how much of a dick his brother has been.

Reactions: 13
To be honest, it doesn’t really matter if we think Harry hasn’t been thrown under the bus … the thing that matters is that Harry does. It’s on record that he felt he had been hung out to dry after the Colonials and Natives/Nazi uniform party and that their relationship was strained at best for months afterwards. Whatever William was dressed as at that party … and he was there … has there been any pictures of it? If he was just in leggings and a pair of furry paws, why not?

and to be fair, if Harry was being used as a human shield … we wouldn’t know what he was shielding anyway

Reactions: 7
Other than the drug taking, being forced by his brother to dress up as a Nazi and the two occasions when he was caught out being a dirty racist. What other occasions were there where poor Harry considered himself sacrificed?
Sorry, completely off topic (and because I've not really posted before!)

I just had to say, I absolutely Love your username- I can well imagine Isa mopping up round Kensington Palace while lecturing Naveed about her 4th hand gossip about the Duke of Kent 🤩. I'm hearing your posts in her voice.

@Timelyreminder but we get TONS of hearsay stories about them? I would argue even more then before they left.
@Eugenie If using them to deflect, they did a really bad job in the beginning when they praised her as basically the second coming.

I do think H&M were in a very unfortunate position from the start. Just for the fact that they had another couple to compete with. Or rather because Kate was already there. Sadly the tabloids love to play the females against each other (if it’s just the sexist tabloids or if they follow a sexist audience’s preference or if it’s both is another question). M was always made out to be the villain for some time. Kate was too but there was no one to measure her against. And of course now Kate can do no wrong. Never could. Ignoring that she couldn’t do anything right some years ago.
Additionally M was build up so blatantly over the top. I wonder who came up with that tit of her “saving” the monarchy AND showing up the lazy and frumpy Duchess of Cambridge? The tabloids (as they were on a lazy W&K vs super cool, War Hero, relatable and easy going Harry trip) of H press corpse? The woman never stood a chance of consistently being all that was promised. If that was a calculated PR move it definitely did more harm than good. And it might brought W&K office into pushing against that. Or some sinister PR genius always banked on M failing this profile. Heck she moved countries, married into a complicated family and role, had to find her footing in a new culture that she had to represent all of a sudden, newlywed while they hadn’t spent that much time together and living together that is another ballgame in itself, quickly fell pregnant, her own family mostly a constant guarantee for trouble…. they really should have taken it easy for the first two to three years. So either they wanted to outshine the rest or were burned out. Who knows.
The press offices might brief against each other, but if so they all do and we never know what stories are actually leaked because of such quarrels and what are not.

Reactions: 7
I don’t think things have changed terribly much with the media in that respect since the world and his wife knew that Edward was romancing Mrs Simpson … except the people back in the UK due to her being completely unreported and cut out of the pictures they printed.

Charles and Camilla were a touch different because Diana was hellbent on everyone knowing and made sure of it … but how long had it been trundling along before she went nuclear? Once she opened the floodgates it was open season, but before that not so much.

William and Kate managed to take all the kids away to Jordan in the summer with no one knowing anything about it until they dropped a couple of photos.

I wouldn’t like to say one way or the other … but just using the it wasn’t in the paper’s reasoning doesn’t really fly either.

(the other thing to remember is that there is a vested interest by more than one party in having the monarch in a stable, faithful relationship. They are going to be Head of The Church and Defender of the Faith. Charles has barely managed to hang on by his fingertips, and it still gets trotted out as a reason why he should be skipped in the line of succession … having a successor in the same boat could be seen by some as problematical).
You do realise the whole reason the Church of England was created was because King Henry VIII had had an affair with Anne Boleyn and the Pope refused him a divorce from devout Roman Catholic Queen Catherine of Aragon? Indeed, both Charles and William have been more faithful than our current PM even if the rumours about William are true and given Charles' affair with Camilla, let alone half the Presidents of France and the USA

Reactions: 6
You do realise the whole reason the Church of England was created was because Henry VIII had had an affair with Anne Boleyn and the Pope refused him a divorce from devout Catholic Catherine of Aragon? Indeed, both Charles and William have been more faithful than our current PM even if the rumours are true, let alone half the Presidents of France and the USA
Of course I know that :D.
the Pope refused a divorce because the there had been a Papal dispensation annulling her marriage to Arthur to allow her to marry his brother, Henry … and as Henry wanted the divorce on the grounds that she had been married to his brother it a got a bit sticky all going on amist a whole host of religion upheaval and reformation going on across Europe (in fact Henry’s whole contention was that he hadn‘t committed adultery because they weren’t legally married in the first place, due to the whole widow of brother situation)

but anyway, that’s all irrelevant. What goes on in other countries is by the by and however profligate our PM is he isn’t going to inherit the title of Defender of the Faith and be the supreme ruler of the Church of England. With that, rightly or wrongly comes - to some people - a degree of responsibility and a requirement to stick to the ’rules’. Charles has barely got away with it by the skin of his teeth. A traditional family unit with traditional family values is needed to calm the horses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Of course I know that :D.
the Pope refused a divorce because the there had been a Papal dispensation annulling her marriage to Arthur to allow her to marry his brother, Henry … and as Henry wanted the divorce on the grounds that she had been married to his brother it a got a bit sticky all going on amist a whole host of religion upheaval and reformation going on across Europe (in fact Henry’s whole contention was that he hadn‘t committed adultery because they weren’t legally married in the first place, due to the whole widow of brother situation)

but anyway, that’s all irrelevant. What goes on in other countries is by the by and however profligate our PM is he isn’t going to inherit the title of Defender of the Faith and be the supreme ruler of the Church of England. With that, rightly or wrongly comes - to some people - a degree of responsibility and a requirement to stick to the ’rules’. Charles has barely got away with it by the skin of his teeth. A traditional family unit with traditional family values is needed to calm the horses.
Im not entirely sure what a traditional family with traditional family values actually is. But looking at the current royal family, which has gone through adultery, divorce, allegations of racism, a member of the family accused of having sexual relations with a trafficked woman, the head of the family paying off the trafficked woman, this family seem to be the very antithesis of morality and “family values”.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Im not entirely sure what a traditional family with traditional family values actually is. But looking at the current royal family, which has gone through adultery, divorce, allegations of racism, a member of the family accused of having sexual relations with a trafficked woman, the head of the family paying off the trafficked woman, this family seem to be the very antithesis of morality and “family values”.
Oh, absolutely.
So a nice, steady traditional family with no whisper of scandal are just the ticket for a steady hand on the tiller;)

Reactions: 2
You do realise the whole reason the Church of England was created was because King Henry VIII had had an affair with Anne Boleyn and the Pope refused him a divorce from devout Roman Catholic Queen Catherine of Aragon? Indeed, both Charles and William have been more faithful than our current PM even if the rumours about William are true and given Charles' affair with Camilla, let alone half the Presidents of France and the USA
And Charles' mother declined to attend his registry office do because it went against her religious beliefs

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.