The Royal Family #15

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I rewatched the Paddington sketch again and “happy jubilee and thank you for everything” set me off. It really is less of a celebration and more of a goodbye isn’t it.
It did seem like that, especially when they projected ‘thank you, ma’am’ on the palace walls.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I rewatched the Paddington sketch again and “happy jubilee and thank you for everything” set me off. It really is less of a celebration and more of a goodbye isn’t it.
It’s a living obit.
Most of the photos and footage from this weekend will be hastily being tacked onto an up to date actual obit by the BBC.

Reactions: 8
I agree with the general consensus - it was sad to see the Queen on the balcony. Could possibly be the last time we see her up there. Her signature looked more wobbly than usual on the statement she's just released too.

The monarchy doesn't mean much to me, but the Queen is iconic really. In the UK, her image has surrounded every single living person's life on a daily basis, on stamps, on coins and banknotes, on TV, and her name adorns all manner of public buildings. I imagine she is also one of the things that people from other countries would most associate with the UK, such is her longevity.

It was good to see such a huge turnout on The Mall. I will be sad when she goes.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Although I thoroughly enjoyed the Jubilee and in my opinion it was a fitting tribute to The Queen I do understand if future generations might think a pared down Monarchy may be more fitting for the current times.
I think this is very much what will happen. I don’t think we’re ready for what an effect it will have on this country when the queen dies, she’s all most of us have ever known and she’s held in high regard by many generations. I think the balcony being working royals on Thursday was a sign that the family is going to be pared down. Charles has already said that’s what he wants. I hope him and William can make something sustainable and appropriate to the times between them. It’d be a shame, in my opinion, to lose the Royal family completely but it can’t carry on as it is with all the residences they have etc etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I am another who recommends The Crown Jewels programme with Clive Myrie. The story of the Koh-i-Noor diamond was interesting and rather sad.

Reactions: 3
In another thread someone wrote that feminists hate Catherine cause she devoted herself to husband and kids.But Catherine is not your average housewife, she is married into a family that is the epitome of privilege.
Exactly. It’s not like she’s flitting about the home all day waiting for him to come home with his pipe and slippers and dinner on the table. She’s holding a public role. I personally love seeing how she presents herself so immaculately and essentially regally as she is going to be the Queen Consort one day. It gives women someone better to look up to than those like the Kardashians who court controversy and drama. I would also love to know who does Kate’s botox 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
He told me that growing up in the post war period he felt the disparity between his family and the lives of the Royals very acutely. He is still alive but he won't watch Royal events.
I saw a post earlier today on reddit about a family having to hear about the Jubilee celebrations or seeing the events while they were making hard choices to under eat or spend so their kids could have food for the next few days. It seemed like a massive bait post to get an argument started, but you know for a fact that there's people out there having to choose very carefully how to spend their money or what to eat everyday while the BBC gushes about a family who has lived a life of pure privilege

I think the British press have this agreement not to publish photos of royal children going about their day to days lives though hence the posed birthday/first day at school snaps so they have some
There's a possibility that a similar agreement is in place for Archie and Lilibet atm tbf. I'm surprised that there have been no leaked images or anything, I imagine they'd be worth a whole lot and there are probably some people camping out trying to grab a snap or two of the kids

Reactions: 4
The people we saw on the balcony today are the people we will see on the balcony in future. Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and their children. That’s it.

Reactions: 13
I don’t think we’re ready for what an effect it will have on this country when the queen dies
When I was watching the arrivals for the service of Thanksgiving and Charles and Camilla were coming in, one of the presenters said something along the lines of ‘here is the future of the monarchy’ and I did feel a tinge of sadness because the future of the monarchy, what will represent Britain, will be an old man and woman.
I get that the story everyone parrots is that monarchy is meant to be steadfast, they are meant to be reliable, etc. But we are replacing one of the most iconic women with a 73+year old man. It’s a massive downgrade. But I also feel that with William too. They don’t have the charm or the respect that The Queen can command. They are just boring blokes with thinning hair.
I’m not even a royalist, but the idea of losing the Queen and being stuck with those two is rather sad. It’s like when they knock down a marvellous, beautifully built building and replace with with some modern tat.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
When I was watching the arrivals for the service of Thanksgiving and Charles and Camilla were coming in, one of the presenters said something along the lines of ‘here is the future of the monarchy’ and I did feel a tinge of sadness because the future of the monarchy, what will represent Britain, will be an old man and woman.
I get that the story everyone parrots is that monarchy is meant to be steadfast, they are meant to be reliable, etc. But we are replacing one of the most iconic women with a 73+year old man. It’s a massive downgrade. But I also feel that with William too. They don’t have the charm or the respect that The Queen can command. They are just boring blokes with thinning hair.
I’m not even a royalist, but the idea of losing the Queen and being stuck with those two is rather sad. It’s like when they knock down a marvellous, beautifully built building and replace with with some modern tat.
That’s an hereditary position, isn’t it. You don’t get to chose, you git what your given.

Reactions: 3
So I was watching David Starkey being interviewed about 2 years ago. It was very interesting because what everyone views as The Queens brilliant strategic absolutely no politics ever stance, he viewed very differently and thought she should have got more involved in the politics of her times, albeit judiciously. However I think this would have been disastrous. She would have been pilloried and I think it would have caused a constitutional crisis
I think Charles will view his role very differently and that will take a lot of getting used to after 70 years of being non partisan.

Reactions: 5
Didn't know he said that. Yeah, that's a ridiculous thing to say really. Surely Zara must be bringing in a fair bit of moola.
Well, they live in a house on the Gatcombe Estate of Anne’s (which strangely no one ever wants to see the rent book for or know the details of). They have sponsorship deals with the likes of Landrover and Rolex, Zara has a string of championship horses at her disposal, he used to - might still be? - a brand ambassador for an online betting company, he’s the director of a company that furloughed staff in the pandemic, his kids have The Queen as great granny and the Princess Royal as Granny. I think he was worrying unnecessarily.

Reactions: 15
I think Anne, Tim, Edward and Sophie will be there as well.
No they won’t. Charles plans to completely scale back the monarchy more in line with the European royal houses, it will be him, Camilla and the Cambridges. That is it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think the last few days will have highlighted to Harry what a mistake he’s made. His kids are growing up in a $14m prison- they clearly don’t go out to play dates/parks/shops etc as they would have been papped by now. So the ‘normal life’ he craved for them doesn’t really exist.

Meanwhile, the Cambridge kids demonstrated this week that they have a close relationship with their cousins and other family - there was a natural familiarity that can’t be faked by children. We know that W&C trade photos at key events for relative privacy the rest of the time- their life isn’t normal and never will be but at least they get to spend their pocket money at Smiggle.
Not sure that's true. James Corden said his kids had play dates with Harry's, and the adults went out for a meal after which never got papped. Just because something didn't get pictured it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.