Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
I know the Dan stans are going to shout at me for this but anyone else getting red flags that he found her? Why is this reminding me of Ian Huntley so much?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 49

Jmx

Chatty Member
Is anyone getting manic vibes in this thread? Interesting but a bit cray cray.

Reactions: 36

Lovely

Chatty Member
I would like to participate in this discussion (and I'm sure others would too), but the thread is really being dominated by someone who has an unhealthy/borderline manic obsession with the case and who has clearly already made up their mind about what has happened. It doesn't really feel like there is space here for other views and it's actually getting a bit weird and disturbing even to follow it without posting.

Reactions: 29

Narc ahoy

I’m sure talking about missing people in the past tense is something that’s given other killers away before too - again can’t remember who though.
Yes, a lot of them do it. There's a fascinating science called statement analysis where they analyse truthful vs untruthful language, and the priorities of the person speaking, among other things. According to statement analysis it is stressful for the brain to lie and the truth usually leaks out in some way. Speaking in the past tense about someone who's not supposed to be dead is a major tell, but it's well-known enough that a lot of murderers try hard not to do this.

In this quote from an interviewing denying the police's claims that their relationship may not have been as happy as it seemed, he refers to her in the past tense, but gets away with it because he's referring to a specific time period (just before she went missing), which of course is in the past. But everything he says has that past tense knows-she-is-dead feel to it:

“We spoke every day, the time apart worked as we expected and we were very joyful when we spoke.
We were missing each other.
The hike she went missing on was to be her last hike before driving back.
Our last conversation was totally loving and all smiles. She was so happy and we were excited to see each other."

I have underlined 9 words that are in past tense, and bolded two sections that have an air of finality about them. That is a lot of past tense and finality for a short passage.

Another thing is the principle of protesting too much. DC is very, very very eager for people to believe that they were in a state of loving bliss. He is saying too many words. In statement analysis, saying too many words weakens the statement.

A well known example is when Victoria Beckham said about David, "I truly believe I have the most faithful husband that I could hope for", instead of just saying "I have a faithful husband".

DC has said, they were "very" "joyful". They were "missing each other". Their conversation was "totally" "loving" and "all smiles". She was "so" "happy" and they were "excited" to see each other. That's 9 words/phrases in one short passage that are intended to persuade the listener that they were blissfully happy. (Qualifying extra words like 'very', 'totally' and 'so' count as their own, as we are counting extra words added to persuade, rather than counting words that mean love, happiness etc).

Why is DC so, so desperate to persuade that they were perfectly happy? It's not realistic for any relationship to be so happy, especially so soon after a short break from each other. It's not even relevant to finding her, and if any unhappiness is relevant, an innocent partner would be open-minded enough to let the police persue it. An innocent person would be delighted at the possibility that his missing partner might have left of her own accord, rather than coming to harm.

His need to persuade about their happiness could be because he wants to deflect attention away from his relationship with her. Its also worth noting that people tend to talk excessively positively about their recently dead loved ones, so there could also be an element of that.

The next section of the interview (which I've linked below, I don't want to quote it all), he was entirely talking about himself, and how cooperative he is being with the police, seemingly offended by descriptions of him being "quizzed" by them. He needed to pre-emptively persuade the reader that he is a innocent and the police aren't interested in him. It also seems like he thinks the members of public who are suspicious about him are stupid, and are getting their impression of police investigations from the TV. It shows contempt for people who doubt him, and his sense of superiority.

He also said “My only goal is to help them do what they need to do as quickly as possible”, with 'them' being the police. He couldn't bring himself to say "my only goal is to find Esther". He's admitting that his only goal is for this to be over as soon as possible.

He didn't mention wanting to find Esther, or how distraught he is at all.

It is in stark contrast to her mum's statement. Read it all here , I don't want to make this post too long.

His other weird statement is "I’m broken. Shattered to report that my beloved Esther, the person who taught me how to feel, is missing."

1) His first priority is to talk about himself and his feelings.
2) He drops the pronoun before 'shattered', weakening commitment to the following statement. ie, he's not really shattered.
3) He doesn't he's shattered that she's missing, only shattered to report that she is missing. ie, what is paining him is having to tell everyone.
4) He talks about Esther in reference to himself, and what she meant to him and did for him. He is very self-absorbed.
5) Describing her as "the person who taught me how to feel" is past-tense, and has the feel of the common bereavement behaviour of talking (in the past tense) about positive qualities of a dead person.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

sassmaster3000

Chatty Member
I think we can all agree that @Johara was slightly too invested, to an unhealthy degree. Bit bizarre that their only other contributions to tattle were a few bits about Madeline Mccan and another thread about cheating on partners.
However, If Dan was intelligent enough to pull this off and make it seem like an accident, I doubt he would be stupid enough to join an online forum and engage with it, especially with how advanced cyber security etc is these days.
Don’t think it was Dan, but someone who was way too heavily invested in the case. Paying for a private psychic was the nail in the coffin for me. (Also bizarre that they haven’t popped up since the remains story).
Strange folk about I guess! 🤷🏼

• Wow
Reactions: 26

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
It really rubs me the wrong way when people who are in the news because of tragedy hire PR companies and act like celebrities.

The first time I saw this happen was with the McCann case, and what I think of them is probably something I should not print.

I know we all respond to grief and attention in different ways but I find it downright bizarre and it instantly makes me lose sympathy for people. Just seems so narcissists.
I think a lot of us think things about the McCanns that are probably unprintable.

Reactions: 26

reCAPTCHA

VIP Member
He’s bored of watching the investigation stall and fucking loves the attention so has lost patience with them and ‘found’ her himself.

The authorities know they don’t have sufficient evidence to implicate him at this stage, so are hoping that by giving him some figurative rope, he’ll hang himself with it.

If he strangled her (most likely?) there won’t be any evidence left to explain cause of death so he can confidently think he’s gotten away with it. Finding the body will encourage a new wave of attention and focus on him, which he will be absolutely craving. It will make him more arrogant though and likely to trip himself up somehow.

He’s a horrible control freak and a fucking psychopath in my opinion. Can’t help himself; staying in the limelight and basking in being an important person vis- a vis the crime. One can only hope that these very traits of self-importance and attention seeking will be his downfall.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

reCAPTCHA

VIP Member
By miraculously finding her body.
I agree. He’s lost his patience with the investigation and is craving the attention and spotlight on him by her body being found. This desire for attention, and the anger that still remains from whatever triggered him to kill her, is making him take unnecessary risks (‘finding’ her when he’s known where she was long ago), but he can’t help himself in my opinion.

It’s actually a good thing that he seems to crave the attention, and believes himself to be 10 steps ahead of them; that’s what will catch him out in the end. If he had kept his head down and not constantly made himself front and centre he might have got away with it. But then Ian Huntley couldn’t help himself either......

He’s so fucking pleased with himself that he got away with it, but for people like him it’s almost meaningless unless other people are aware of his brilliance. It will be a relief for him when he can finally shout it to the world, but of course that relief will come with the price of being caught and punished.

He’ll be caught; it will just take time.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

reCAPTCHA

VIP Member
When did Mr. Colegate hire the PR Company ? I find this absolutely bonkers - if I had a loved one lost on a mountain the LAST thing I would do is spend my time looking for a PR Company to hire !

Somebody mentioned Ian Huntley and they are right, it does have similarities, Huntley imposed himself on every part of the investigation just like this.

I want to see any evidence that the Police have said Mr. Colegate is in the clear - because otherwise I don’t see how he is not a ‘person of interest’.
To be fair sometimes it’s a way to protect yourself from media intrusion. PR companies might approach people to offer their services, when that person is literally being deluged from media and press from around the world. Unless you’ve been the victim of press intrusion it’s difficult to understand quite how vile and underhand they can be. They will ‘doorstep‘ you relentlessly, your friends, colleagues, anyone who might know you. Journalists can be horrendous in their pursuit of a story and sometimes to direct everything via a PR agency is an effective way of getting them to stop all the dishonest shit they try to pull on inexperienced people, as once they know you are represented they will often stop all the underhand shit because they know they won’t get away with it. I have a little experience in this area via an old PR job and I’ve ‘protected’ individuals by representing them if that makes sense. Often a PR companies objective is to keep individuals OUT of something (often completely innocent people!) as much as it is getting publicity so from that perspective I understand him
, and her parents, having instructed them.

That said, this guy is guilty as sin in my eyes lol.....I just meant to add some context really. Not everyone who instructs a PR firm has something to hide! Often they’re just your run of the mill person - who has no experience of having the media all over them like a fucking rash for months on end - and just need help and advice.

I worked with an 18 yr old and his family once. The boy had had sex with his teacher when he was younger, but by the time it all came into the press via her teaching regularity body, he was an adult and the media were fucking awful, hounding him and his family to try and get him to ‘tell their side of their story’. They were desperate for ‘horny boy had sex with sexy older teacher’ story, but that really hadn’t been the case (he had in fact been quite a vulnerable young lad with his own personal issues), but they had their angle and they were offering him all sorts of cash for a story and quotes etc.

Unfortunately I had to break it to them that despite the journalists promises, he had no guarantees over the headline or the subsequent angle of the piece. No-one would come out of it looking pretty, and he would be even less likely to move on and have a successful future. He wanted to move on and although tempted by the cash, didn’t want to ruin his life by having his name out there in print, but they wouldn’t take no for an answer and they were offering some decent sum as at one stage. Once we were appointed they directed all enquires to us and hey presto we knew exactly the language to use with the journalists (and what parts of their own journalistic code to hold them to account for!).They backed the fuck off once they were threatened with us approaching their own regulatory body for their breaches of their own bloody ethics with a family that didn’t know any better.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Let’s be frank, the reason he’s a suspect is pure statistics. It is something like two British women every week die at the hands of their partner or former partner. Suspecting him is not surmising guilt without any evidence, it’s just being realistic.

Even if she befell a tragic accident or her death came at the hands of a stranger, if there’s not enough evidence to draw a firm conclusion then the boyfriend will always be in the frame.

And, side note, if there’s anyone (I don’t mean this thread, I just mean generally in society) who doesn’t like that, then they need to do more to stop so many women being murdered by men - both the ones they do and don’t know. There is *so much* that could be done.

End rant! (Sorry have just seen so many ‘let’s give him the benefit of the doubt until otherwise’ chat everywhere about this case and others and it winds me up).

And I would not put it past him or someone connected to scour Internet forums for mentions of her name and join in 🤷‍♀️

Final point - I was staggered to read that there are THREE THOUSAND unidentified bodies found in France every YEAR. A lot in the mountain regions I’m guessing. Seems if you wanted to do away with someone that’s a good place to do so. Chilling.

• Wow
Reactions: 21

ChloeSophia

Everyone can comment, if you dont like what's written then keep scrolling. Its a fascinating situation and the analysis on here is what keeps me following it.
👏 I am a lurker mostly and appreciate the comments being presented here of different people's opinions and experiences and knowledge. I'm not sure why people wouldn't comment just because someone else may post a lot or have a different opinion. I'd personally be sad to see someone stop posting just because they felt the had to due to other people posting what I feel to be passive aggressive comments. Everyone is welcome to post on an open forum and whilst we may not all agree it is not anyone's place to make anyone else feel unwelcome.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

NightCircus

Is anyone following this story? It's all very troubling.

I sense the Mail are doing that thing they do where they are sitting on something much bigger but can't say (yet?) so have posted what seems to be a rather random and inconsequential piece about Esther "looking sad" (is it that easy to tell when someone is wearing a face mask?) in a shop for a few minutes.

Feel terrible for those who know her, they will be going through hell. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 20

AriaAria

I only comment on this thread & I'm new to this site. I came here because I was so frustrated at the Dan fawning that's going on over on Websleuths. I had been following the case over there for months until someone there mentioned this site. Then I moved here. I don't agree with a lot of what's said here, but that's ok, at least you CAN share different opinions here and that's the key. You're not allowed to even mention Dan's suspicious behaviour or his anomalies over there, yet ALL of it forms the story. You can't just cherry pick parts of the story and leave out the rest because it's "victim blaming". Dan had a massive part in this too, whether he was directly involved or not, as he is the one providing the information. The sheer fact he had them concentrating their search in the wrong area (whether by accident or by design) in and of itself could have cost her her life. What if she was laying there alive for a few days with broken legs? He also didn't call for help soon enough. Again, oversight or by design? Then you have him finding the body when the search teams searched that area twice. Another massive red flag. If these points cannot be discussed, then what is the point as you are discussing half a case? And that's before we even mention any of the other red flags. I'm fed up with Websleuths and how they fawn all over these partners. They were fawning all over Caroline Crouch's husband as well, and we all know what happened there. I get that allowing discussion of partners can get very nasty when maybe they are totally innocent, I get the sensationalism. But more often than not it IS a family member, so there's a fine line. My personal opinion on this case is this - I don't know. It could easily have been both - an accident or foul play. We don't have enough information. We don't even know where exactly she fell. We don't know why her phone didn't ping anymore. We don't know if she died later on the 22nd or if it was the next day. If it was the next day, we don't know where she slept that night. We don't know why she was up a mountain that seems impossible to climb (IF indeed that was where she was, which we don't even know). We literally know nothing. What we DO know is that Dan has acted suspiciously since the get-go, and all of that forms a part of this story, whether he was directly involved or not. That's my two cents for what it's worth.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

Johnsmith18845

I really hope this young lady is found soon , it’s very strange that after traveling around the world together with her boyfriend in a van for the last 6 years , she goes missing while they are on a break and temporarily separated, as another member posted the boyfriends Instagram writings seem to me to be filled with anger and hate ,, I’m getting very weird vibes from the boyfriend to be completely honest

The fact that the police have turned it into a criminal investigation speaks volumes

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 19