Missing Blogger Esther Dingley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just reading a report again -so when she met Ballarin she outlined her plans and they were different to what they had been previously - in that Ballarin appeared to suggest she was considering crossing the Pyrenees into France.
She said she was going to French town of Bagneres de Luchon and mentioned the city of Toulouse.

So what prompted the change of plan? - was it because she had been informed that she would be getting a visitor or that someone was on their way to Luchon? Which then leads to her meeting on the 22nd causing her to climb the mountain at a specific time.
Why had she changed her plans from what they were originally? This chance meeting with Ballarin maybe very useful in that we know she had changed plans for some reason.... had she been informed of something unexpected?? (report below)

Missing Esther Dingley's secrets, by the last man to see her alive - Dope Albums
The last person to see missing hiker Esther Dingley (left) alive Jose Antonio Ballarin (right) said she discussed her route with him – and it was different from the one she was believed to have been planning
There, around 10.30am on Saturday, November 21, she set off up the mountain path from a spot known as Plan de l’Estany.

It was the day before the Oxford graduate was last seen in the Pyrenees.

Speaking exclusively to the Mail this week, Mr Ballarin said Esther discussed her route with him – and it was different from the one she was believed to have been planning.

When she went missing, she was thought to have been in the middle of a hike of several days, taking a circular route from Port de la Glere to Port de Venasque via Pico Salvaguardia.

Having set off from Benasque that Saturday morning, Esther was believed to be planning to spend Sunday night at the Refuge de Venasque before looping back to Port de la Glere and Benasque.

But she had previously changed her routes to get around icy tracks or to avoid bad weather and in her conversation with Mr Ballarin – conducted in French because she spoke no Spanish and he no English – she appeared to suggest she was considering crossing the Pyrenees into France.

She said she was going to French town of Bagneres de Luchon and mentioned the city of Toulouse.

Further down the report it states:
" Esther’s conversation with Mr Ballarin raises the possibility that she might have radically changed her plans at the last minute, perhaps explaining why there has been no sign of her despite extensive searches before winter blizzards set in last week. "

Why would she radically change plans -sounds to me like there is a missing factor which caused this change.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
IF one of these people is a PD here's a brief pattern I experienced 1sthand.

- 2 wks after meeting "let's get away from your family & friends. Go on holiday to xyz. Your sister is a psychic vampire"

- 4 wks after meeting. "Let's get married here on holiday like in The English Patient in the sand dunes"

- NO re wedding. Followed by violent tantrum by six foot 4 character in the airport. The ONLY public display ever. All tantrums conducted in private otherwise

- Daily: you don't love me. (Was an orphan adopted so pity play). Major tantrums daily followed by sweetness & spoiling.

- PTSD & chronic fatigue grew to the point nerves were shot.

- further attempts post holiday. "Let's go live in Thailand. Let's go look at engagement rings."

- I knew nothing about these disorders. I feared he was bipolar or on drugs.

- he would break down sobbing if I wanted to go to a book club or lock the doors if I wanted to go outside to get my stuck cat out of a tree. The tiniest hint of independence. (Highly respected foreign journalist & 6 foot 4, had travelled to over 30 countries.. very good looking ie popular, hugely charming with ALL.)

- travel theme is prevalent

- they grant you independence when they have no other option eg you'll leave if you don't get fresh air

- their acting skills are Oscar worthy. The public get told how much they care for/adore their partner

- only the partner witnesses the 4yr old inside these people

- they discourage or sabotage partner's careers while the partner is in their clutches

- they suck up to partner's friends & family so that the entire support network become their fans! And would never believe what they do privately

NOT surprised ED father never met the guy till years later. Dads get fooled too but less easily!

On all blogs etc ED is the one to reassure about her feelings for him.

It's the "you don't love me" blackmail. So she overcompensates.

Just reading a report again -so when she met Ballarin she outlined her plans and they were different to what they had been previously - in that Ballarin appeared to suggest she was considering crossing the Pyrenees into France.

So what prompted the change of plan? - was it because she had been informed that she would be getting a visitor or that someone was on their way to Luchon? Which then leads to her meeting on the 22nd causing her to climb the mountain at a specific time.
Why had she changed her plans from what they were originally? This chance meeting with Ballarin maybe very useful in that we know she had changed plans for some reason.... had she been informed of something unexpected?? (report below)

Missing Esther Dingley's secrets, by the last man to see her alive - Dope Albums
The last person to see missing hiker Esther Dingley (left) alive Jose Antonio Ballarin (right) said she discussed her route with him – and it was different from the one she was believed to have been planning
There, around 10.30am on Saturday, November 21, she set off up the mountain path from a spot known as Plan de l’Estany.

It was the day before the Oxford graduate was last seen in the Pyrenees.

Speaking exclusively to the Mail this week, Mr Ballarin said Esther discussed her route with him – and it was different from the one she was believed to have been planning.

When she went missing, she was thought to have been in the middle of a hike of several days, taking a circular route from Port de la Glere to Port de Venasque via Pico Salvaguardia.

Having set off from Benasque that Saturday morning, Esther was believed to be planning to spend Sunday night at the Refuge de Venasque before looping back to Port de la Glere and Benasque.

But she had previously changed her routes to get around icy tracks or to avoid bad weather and in her conversation with Mr Ballarin – conducted in French because she spoke no Spanish and he no English – she appeared to suggest she was considering crossing the Pyrenees into France.

Further down the report it states:
" Esther’s conversation with Mr Ballarin raises the possibility that she might have radically changed her plans at the last minute, perhaps explaining why there has been no sign of her despite extensive searches before winter blizzards set in last week. "

Why would she radically change plans -sounds to me like there is a missing factor which caused this change.
Hypothesis only because ED may have fallen off a cliff in the dark or into a lake so that dogs could not detect her scent at all. So odd they could not scent her tracks forward...

ED is filled with hope (the curse of the rollercoaster life with a PD) as PD persuades her she is loved and missed and to please forgive any bad words or behaviour during lockdown.

Note while being apart for a month ED told BBC in interview in late November "we are so happy now".

So so happy now. Finally. After all these years.

To be continued.

HYPOTHESIS CONTINUED

Just theory based on the sudden Luchon plans as per Peggy's post:

Practicalities go out the window with PDs. Ultra spontaneous, with grand hope-inspiring gestures of remorse.

ED's camper is in Spain so she should go to Venasque to collect it.
It's also getting dark & she shouldn't hike so late but her PD has finally seen the light - or some nice guy she met on her hike has told her how special she is and he can't stop thinking about her.

She's so starved for romance. After all, DC published a book in June 2020 in which he wrote all traces of romance disappeared. Well, that was 2013 he referred to. So 7 yrs later ED is emotionally deprived.

HYPOTHESIS CONTINUED

So PD or New Guy ask her to meet them on the mountain.

How romantic.

Possibly they made the grand romantic plans on the 21st as that is the day she excitedly writes about Luchon.

Even tagging DC and stating "Maybe I can see you!!" as she shows the view to Luchon from the peak.

Odd, as the view does not reach to Arreau where he lives.

But DC is a very fit long distance runner as he says about himself, so possibly he had gone for a long run to Luchon?

It's only 41 minutes by car from Arreau to Luchon. So if one runs perhaps it takes them 2hrs or so?

Either way, New Guy is also somewhere in the background. Possibly he lifted her spirits, especially as she noted the rainbow that appeared the day they met - the 19th.

PDs are ultra possessive BUT also very prone to simultaneously stacking up alternative love interests.

The rainbow post timing is interesting.

Either a PD got enraged at fears of abandonment or New Guy made a very strong impression on a romantically deprived woman.

So let's just say from the 19th of November trouble loomed.

The Rainbow Day.

Then on the 20th ED apparently remained in her camper all day and night, according to DC.

Two days later she hikes up the mountain very late in hiker best practice - at 3pm.

She is possibly not thinking clearly ie distracted emotionally because she's craving fruit. She has not packed well in terms of glucose or liquid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
HYPOTHESIS CONTINUED

Emotionally wrapped up in thought and suffering from PTSD possibly (which leads to blood sugar imbalances as adrenal fatigue is a foregone conclusion with PTSD). Note Facebook video in which she says she left home without phone or money once.

Note the 20th November is highly unusual. She was posting & hiking daily as a regular pattern.

Yet she stayed in the camper all day and night?

Side issue but pertinent.

Perhaps if ED had become codependent after living in an erratic relationship for many years, compounded by covid lockdown & even the 8 week joint hike... during 2020, she was hoping her rainbow post & silence on the 20th would provoke longed for change in the PD?

That's common. Takes 2 to tango in "erratic relationships".

Anyway, hypothetically, a man is coming to meet her. From the Luchon side.

She gets to the top & has a Whatsapp CALL with DC.

After the call ends her phone flight mode is activated and all trace of her vanishes ito data & GPS.

* it is possible per the article posted yesterday to install an app that lets you use your Whatsapp account on a 2nd phone. The author explains how at the end.

So hypothetically someone could call a person on Whatsapp using another sim card and phone. And be standing 10m away from their beloved, waiting to surprise them.

Very romantic.

OR, while DC ends the call another suitor has arranged to meet her on the mountain. This person waits for ED to end the call and says HI. And all smiles, ED walks off with Mr Rainbow to some part of the mountain he's told her she has to see...

But Mr Rainbow would have had to carry her the whole route because the experienced search dogs could not find her tracks!

So either Mr Rainbow knocked her unconscious, then dragged her clothing all over the mountain path to confuse which direction she went in... so the dogs would walk round and round in circles...

Or someone who owns dogs, loves dogs and understands how to confuse them in terms of tracking scent, used alternative easier ways.

Eg on Animal Communication courses they teach you to sprinkle urine or other trackable stuff to leave a trail for animals to follow.

Something easier than dragging her clothes in different directions.

Strands of hair is feasible for example.

I'm stopping here.

The inability of dogs to track her is pivotal to answering what happened to her.

It would be a very fit, athletic man who could bundle her up into a sack or something, OFF the ground, plus carry her grey pack and get down the mountain.

Not impossible. But someone very strong and fit. Because it takes 5hrs to get from the Pic de Sauvegarde to Luchon.

It would be easier to bundle her into a sack then dispose of her in a dog-unfriendly spot on the mountain.

Having killed the scentable tracks for her movements. Gotten her off her feet.

Ps. By Dog-unfriendly I mean a rocky crevicey part of the mountain. Google Earth I'm sure makes it possible to find such areas from one's couch, prior to ever hiking there.

She was literally swept off her feet.

Or fell off a cliff or into water. So dogs could not trace her.

She certainly did not walk further down the mountain.

Because the dogs cannot trace her.

The dogs tell us a HUGE amount.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
Thanks for your thoughts Johara... so interesting.

Yes 20th Nov unusual ...I can imagine a scenario such as a very upsetting phone argument causing her to mope about and wonder how to resolve her problems. Maybe her posting about the kindly fellow hiker has caused a major upset/ rage. Then another call later asking for a meet-up so that they can both make up.

maybe she is asked not to mention this on social media due to the house sitting.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just so everyone knows, your pets can track you via your tiny skin cells dropping off your body as you walk.

Their noses are WAY more powerful than ours.

Not just your pets. Any animal given your clothing gets your "scent" as in what your body cells smell like.

Cells. So your hair, your skin etc.

Yes 20th Nov unusual ...I can imagine a scenario such as a very upsetting phone argument causing her to mope about and wonder how to resolve her problems. Maybe her posting about the kindly fellow hiker has caused a major upset/ rage. Then another call later asking for a meet-up so that they can both make up.

maybe she is asked not to mention this on social media due to the house sitting.
Yes.

Timing.

19th Mr Rainbow

20th ED curls up all day & night in camper apparently.

21st ED excitedly & romantically? Says "Maybe I can see you!!" Tagging DC on Luchon view

22nd ED vanishes after Whatsapp call with DC at 4pm

Just to reiterate, not only must ED's feet be off the ground...

She should make no movement whatsoever.

She had to be put into a thickly covered sack so that her body cells - teeeny tiny things - would not fall to the ground.

Then transported to a suitably hidden spot.

Or thrown from a cliff.

Or thrown into a lake.

Or Aliens took her off in a UFO. NOT.

Point is off the ground. Into a sack that is tightly woven so body cells can't filter through.

I'm sorry for the emotions any of this may cause. I'm feeling very sombre. I had only realised the significance of the dogs in the past 24hrs.

I've paid animal experts to help me locate a missing pet. That's where I learned this stuff about leaving trails for traumatised animals to come home ie if they were stolen/chased away by bad people & moved to another area of the city.

Experts teach you all this about animal skills. It's quite a mindblowing field.

Once it all fits together it really knocks one.

I'm certain the police have reviewed that same tight timeline in a very sober way.

And the dogs.

And that is why they are meeting next week face to face for the 1st time. French & Spanish.

To strategise where to search on the mountain in unscentable dog-unfriendly places.

What a task.

They know there is foul play. They made it a criminal case.

DC said so on Monday in the statement.

That's what everyone forgets!

The cops made it a criminal investigation.

Because of the dogs.

You should remind the people on WS that this is a Criminal Investigation. I.e foul play.

The cops say so.

Peggy,

And tell them there is NO WAY that ED walked from Pic de Sauvegarde anywhere.

Not a step beyond her identified last location.

Because the dogs cannot trace her further movements.

Before snow fell.

Foul Play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Just so everyone knows, your pets can track you via your tiny skin cells dropping off your body as you walk.

Their noses are WAY more powerful than ours.

Not just your pets. Any animal given your clothing gets your "scent" as in what your body cells smell like.

Cells. So your hair, your skin etc.

Yes.

Timing.

19th Mr Rainbow

20th ED curls up all day & night in camper apparently.

21st ED excitedly & romantically? Says "Maybe I can see you!!" Tagging DC on Luchon view

22nd ED vanishes after Whatsapp call with DC at 4pm

Just to reiterate, not only must ED's feet be off the ground...

She should make no movement whatsoever.

She had to be put into a thickly covered sack so that her body cells - teeeny tiny things - would not fall to the ground.

Then transported to a suitably hidden spot.

Or thrown from a cliff.

Or thrown into a lake.

Or Aliens took her off in a UFO. NOT.

Point is off the ground. Into a sack that is tightly woven so body cells can't filter through.

I'm sorry for the emotions any of this may cause. I'm feeling very sombre. I had only realised the significance of the dogs in the past 24hrs.

I've paid animal experts to help me locate a missing pet. That's where I learned this stuff about leaving trails for traumatised animals to come home ie if they were stolen/chased away by bad people & moved to another area of the city.

Experts teach you all this about animal skills. It's quite a mindblowing field.

Once it all fits together it really knocks one.

I'm certain the police have reviewed that same tight timeline in a very sober way.

And the dogs.

And that is why they are meeting next week face to face for the 1st time. French & Spanish.

To strategise where to search on the mountain in unscentable dog-unfriendly places.

What a task.

They know there is foul play. They made it a criminal case.

DC said so on Monday in the statement.

That's what everyone forgets!

The cops made it a criminal investigation.

Because of the dogs.

You should remind the people on WS that this is a Criminal Investigation. I.e foul play.

The cops say so.

Peggy,

And tell them there is NO WAY that ED walked from Pic de Sauvegarde anywhere.

Not a step beyond her identified last location.

Because the dogs cannot trace her further movements.

Before snow fell.

Foul Play.
This is getting more ridiculous by the day 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 17
Is anyone getting manic vibes in this thread? Interesting but a bit cray cray.

Reactions: 36
I would like to participate in this discussion (and I'm sure others would too), but the thread is really being dominated by someone who has an unhealthy/borderline manic obsession with the case and who has clearly already made up their mind about what has happened. It doesn't really feel like there is space here for other views and it's actually getting a bit weird and disturbing even to follow it without posting.

Reactions: 29
From BBC's Science Focus:

"Tracking dogs follow the scent trail of a particular individual, which is mostly skin cells because they are heavy enough to fall to the ground and mark the route."

"Air-scenting dogs ... will find any human that’s not their own handler.
They’re trained to find a human within a large area when there isn’t an initial point to pick up a trail from.

Air scenting dogs... follow volatile and aerosolised particles that can be carried several miles in the air.

These particles comprise a mixture of natural human secretions such as sweat, body odour and pheromones, as well as artificial smells from deodorant, perfume, make-up and clothing.

They work by following the ‘scent cone’ that spreads from the search target, on the wind. But scents will also cling to undergrowth as the target brushes past, which can sometimes even allow dogs to find targets that are downwind of them.

I would like to participate in this discussion (and I'm sure others would too), but the thread is really being dominated by someone who has an unhealthy/borderline manic obsession with the case and who has clearly already made up their mind about what has happened. It doesn't really feel like there is space here for other views and it's actually getting a bit weird and disturbing even to follow it without posting.
I’d like to hear your views?

Reactions: 12
One point I'd like to raise re the dogs, by the way I am no expert, is that they would be given the scent to follow, so someones, I suppose ideally dirty, clothes. Did they get these from her camper van or were they given them by someone?

Everyone can comment, if you dont like what's written then keep scrolling. Its a fascinating situation and the analysis on here is what keeps me following it.

Reactions: 15
Everyone can comment, if you dont like what's written then keep scrolling. Its a fascinating situation and the analysis on here is what keeps me following it.
👏 I am a lurker mostly and appreciate the comments being presented here of different people's opinions and experiences and knowledge. I'm not sure why people wouldn't comment just because someone else may post a lot or have a different opinion. I'd personally be sad to see someone stop posting just because they felt the had to due to other people posting what I feel to be passive aggressive comments. Everyone is welcome to post on an open forum and whilst we may not all agree it is not anyone's place to make anyone else feel unwelcome.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I have followed this case right from the start and immediately something didn’t smell right about this story, it’s got more than a touch of the of a well know Portuguese case about it. It started with the massive coincidence that the very day that an interview about them was published was the last day Esther was seen (or heard from). So after 6 years and just about to pack in the nomadic life (I have seen this somewhere but it may be msm rubbish) she disappears just as they have BBC publicity.

It was swiftly followed up, 28th Nov, by Dan’s “ I'm broken. Shattered to report that my beloved Esther, the person who taught me how to feel, is missing.” Now I know there will be many who say people react differently but really, for me, this was way too much, distraught, sick with fear, yes but not broken and shattered, that’s what happens at then end when you know what has become of her. If he was broken and shattered how would he recover if she turned up the next day?

Dan followed this up with more bizarre behaviour, on the 1st dec (facebook) “I'm going to do some more walking myself now before the sun goes down”, sounds like he’s on an enjoyable holiday, surely he meant “going to do some more frantic searching”. By the way he seemed to have time to compose facebook posts whilst his beloved was missing, what was the point, no one reading it was going to help, the rescue services were already heavily involved. If it was me I would have spent every waking hour searching. He also said in this post “I've been told that the story has received a lot of attention in the media though I've not had chance to look myself.” Yeah right!

Later on Dec 1st (again facebook) “She was so utterly happy and joyful when we last spoke, I'd do anything to see her face and hold her right now.” Again a little touch of the Portuguese case and further would he have wanted to see her face etc if she hadn’t been so utterly happy....?

On Dec 2nd (facebook) in the evening he states “Now that this is a formal police investigation I've been asked to let any future updates and comments come out via formal channels, which makes complete sense to me. “ This is of course after his BBC breakfast appearance, again not sure what the point of this was other than publicity, not sure it went down that well though, see next and later a comparison with the LBT Global statement. By the way during all this time when he was broken and shattered (although that really only seem to last for the first facebook posting) he had time to look through facebook and remove comments that he didn’t like, there weren’t many but there were a few negative ones asking him awkward questions, the posters were told to “go away” by the other “nice” posters but still Dan (or someone else) had the time and inclination to remove them, if they are not true leave them there, you’ve got better things to do with your time. Another bizarre thing happened in among these facebook comments, his dad said he was coming out to be with him, he shouldn’t face this (whatever this is) by himself, he put that on facebook! wouldn’t most dads call them and speak to them about this?

In his Dec 2nd BBC breakfast interview, which he asked for, he says “then I’d like to get that message out that it’s a possibility and that she may still come home.”. Why does he need to get that message out, if he doesn’t get it out will she not come home? it doesn’t make much sense to me. Remember as well that he asked for this interview and wasn’t confronted with questioning he didn’t expect, so he should have had a sensible message to get over (if indeed one was needed). Then he says “she was clearly compliant with local regulations “, who cares? If it was me I’d happily pay the fine to get my beloved back, it’s bizarre, trying to defend something that no-one really cares about (okay a few French did ask why was she up there during confinement). He says “Um I’ve spent most of the last 4 days walking” not searching? It also appears that during this “walking” he did not “walk” with the rescue services, very odd, I’m actually surprised they allowed him to do that, what if he fell off something? I suppose it’s possible that they don’t have the right to stop him but still, very odd. When it was said by the interviewer “Esther messaged you via WhatsApp the social media messaging um app on the 22nd......” he made no comment, he did not say yes or correct it to be a real conversation. This crops up again later (LBT Global statement). Some of the rest of this interview I’ll cover with the LBT Global statement but clearly the stand outs in the interview are his use of the past tense “...but she was doing what she absolutely loved to do,...” and “and I loved her for it” quickly corrected to “ I love her for it” and “I’ve never seen her as happy as she has been the past few weeks”, wow, the happiest he has ever seen her is when she wasn’t with him, that doesn’t sound too good and finally (for the moment) he says “ I’m convinced that she isn’t up there” again I personally find this odd, statistically the odds of a person “missing” on a mountain are that they are on the mountain.

On to the LBT Global statement; The statement appears to be made by Dan and Esther’s mother, there is no mention of her dad who she allegedly communicated her plans to (it’s not totally clear how or exactly when but the way it was presented (in msm) was that it was the 22nd). Why have they not got a statement from him with the details she gave him? Her mother says “We communicated several times every day.” yet at least 3 days passed before any alarm was raised (assuming that the alarm was raised towards the end of the 25th, it is not made clear exactly how and when the alarm was raised). If it’s true that they communicated several times a day ( I have no reason to doubt the mother) then the mother would have known what she was doing and would surely expect communication the morning of the 23rd (after a night out on a mountain). “The pair have been deeply upset at suggestions that Esther may have simply gone off in search of a ‘new life’. Daniel says:” In this case Dan speaks on behalf of the mother, I can see why he would be deeply upset but the mother, okay it’s not ideal but she would surely support her daughter’s decision.
“We spoke every day, the time apart worked as we expected, and we were very joyful when we spoke. We were missing each other. The hike she went missing on was to be her last hike before driving back. Our last conversation was totally loving and all smiles. She was so happy, and we were excited to see each other.” I take it this is from Dan, they spoke every day but in the BBC breakfast interview “it wasn’t unknown that it would be one or two days before I heard from her”, there’s quite a difference between those 2 statements. If they were “missing each other” why didn’t she pack it in and go home?
“Why the police who spoke to a journalist implied “things weren’t as happy as they looked” baffles me..” Who cares, the aim is to find her alive and well.
“During the first six days I spoke every day with both police search teams to coordinate my own hiking activities” Hiking activities! what’s he trying to say, while the SAR looked for her he went on a hike! It’s bizarre use of language especially when you’ve had time to think about it (and had help from LBT?)
“My only goal is to help them do what they need to do as quickly as possible.” For a man who appears to be well educated (by most standards) his use of the English language is very, very odd. Surely his “only goal” is to find Esther alive and well and all others things are stages along the way.
He can do 80 days in the wilderness but then needs to relax in a house due to health issues!
“Esther is an experienced mountain hiker.” without going into loads of details this does not appear to be true, firstly going off alone, followed by wearing “camo” gear, not having a PLB (or similar), not having extra phone batteries, not linked to a tracking system to show exactly where she was.... the list is endless. However, they can’t have it both ways, either she was experienced and would therefore follow her plan to the letter or report changes (and would follow “code” of signing in to refuges etc) or she wasn’t and therefore Dan is making things up and all bets are off as to what she may have done.
“...several multiday walks. She always let me know when she was setting off and when she expected to be back” That doesn’t sound to me like someone who was in regular, daily contact.

“Esther specified her route from the summit we spoke on” Did they speak in the real sense of the word? it’s very unclear what that communication was and what was said without even getting into “the last photo”. The “missing” page for Esther on LBT says “She messaged her partner from the top of Pic de Sauvegarde” so which was it and exactly what was “said”?
“I know she wouldn't have had a phone signal again on Sunday afternoon/evening, but she would have had a signal very soon after setting off the next day”. However, before this statement he said on BBC breakfast “Now I’ve since been in the area and found that the signal is actually quite good in a lot of the places she might have been” So again the question is asked, which is it? There was also a report attributed to the police that she turned to airplane mode to conserve her battery, this never gets mentioned by Dan. I’ve also seen it said by the police that the signal in the area was good. If she had a battery problem, as an “experienced” hiker she should have abandoned the hike and gone back to civilisation, the mountain will always be there (well for the foreseeable future) and there is always another day.

According to facebook Esther was out everyday for ages before this event and then suddenly on the 20th she has a day in the camper van and someone posts pictures of their dogs (which I believe have been in the UK since the summer) getting xmas presents!

I have no reason to doubt the sighting on the 21st or on the 22nd (but I do wonder what she did on the night of the 21st), since she seemed to be coming up the trail on the 22nd I take it she spent the night in the camper van or elsewhere in the town but that’s a bit fuzzy, there are many that think the 22nd was a continuation of the hike on the 21st.

I think the LBT Global statement raised more questions than it answered.

I don’t have the answer to what has happened to her but here are a few possibilities (I’m sure there are others):

Esther has had an accident, I don’t go for this for a variety of reasons but given that she was “experienced”, fit, on a known, not difficult, short route in open terrain heading for the refuge, an accident leaving no trace is imho unlikely.
Esther has committed suicide. I don’t go for this, she has been in contact with mum and dad, they report nothing unusual and she would have to do something which leaves no trace.
Esther encountered a third party who has committed a serious criminal act against her, again I don’t go for this, who would go up a mountain to do that? they have also left no trace
Esther has disappeared of her own accord without telling Dan. Does her mum know which is why she didn’t raise the alarm?
Esther has disappeared after telling Dan she was leaving him. Dan has reported her missing because it’s his best chance of finding her.
Esther has disappeared with Dan’s help and knowledge for publicity. The longer this goes on the less likely it seems, they don’t need to do it that long for the publicity, they will be facing serious charges, they have put pressure on their parents whether they know about it or not.

Sorry, I’ve tried to stick to accredited facts and statements but it may have got a bit rambling.

Reactions: 17
Yes I really want to hear everyone’s views... because time and time again people’s comments can throw a new light on things.

I hadn’t thought anything much about the dogs until now. I know something about scent tracking as have 2 spaniels and they had training with a police dog handler. But I had thought that the snow in the peaks would have hampered these searches...

Reactions: 7
Yes I really want to hear everyone’s views... because time and time again people’s comments can throw a new light on things.

I hadn’t thought anything much about the dogs until now. I know something about scent tracking as have 2 spaniels and they had training with a police dog handler. But I had thought that the snow in the peaks would have hampered these searches...
Hi, so for finding a living person as opposed to a specific smell (blood, cadaver) do they have to be given an item with the required scent on it?

I have followed this case right from the start and immediately something didn’t smell right about this story, it’s got more than a touch of the of a well know Portuguese case about it. It started with the massive coincidence that the very day that an interview about them was published was the last day Esther was seen (or heard from). So after 6 years and just about to pack in the nomadic life (I have seen this somewhere but it may be msm rubbish) she disappears just as they have BBC publicity.

It was swiftly followed up, 28th Nov, by Dan’s “ I'm broken. Shattered to report that my beloved Esther, the person who taught me how to feel, is missing.” Now I know there will be many who say people react differently but really, for me, this was way too much, distraught, sick with fear, yes but not broken and shattered, that’s what happens at then end when you know what has become of her. If he was broken and shattered how would he recover if she turned up the next day?

Dan followed this up with more bizarre behaviour, on the 1st dec (facebook) “I'm going to do some more walking myself now before the sun goes down”, sounds like he’s on an enjoyable holiday, surely he meant “going to do some more frantic searching”. By the way he seemed to have time to compose facebook posts whilst his beloved was missing, what was the point, no one reading it was going to help, the rescue services were already heavily involved. If it was me I would have spent every waking hour searching. He also said in this post “I've been told that the story has received a lot of attention in the media though I've not had chance to look myself.” Yeah right!

Later on Dec 1st (again facebook) “She was so utterly happy and joyful when we last spoke, I'd do anything to see her face and hold her right now.” Again a little touch of the Portuguese case and further would he have wanted to see her face etc if she hadn’t been so utterly happy....?

On Dec 2nd (facebook) in the evening he states “Now that this is a formal police investigation I've been asked to let any future updates and comments come out via formal channels, which makes complete sense to me. “ This is of course after his BBC breakfast appearance, again not sure what the point of this was other than publicity, not sure it went down that well though, see next and later a comparison with the LBT Global statement. By the way during all this time when he was broken and shattered (although that really only seem to last for the first facebook posting) he had time to look through facebook and remove comments that he didn’t like, there weren’t many but there were a few negative ones asking him awkward questions, the posters were told to “go away” by the other “nice” posters but still Dan (or someone else) had the time and inclination to remove them, if they are not true leave them there, you’ve got better things to do with your time. Another bizarre thing happened in among these facebook comments, his dad said he was coming out to be with him, he shouldn’t face this (whatever this is) by himself, he put that on facebook! wouldn’t most dads call them and speak to them about this?

In his Dec 2nd BBC breakfast interview, which he asked for, he says “then I’d like to get that message out that it’s a possibility and that she may still come home.”. Why does he need to get that message out, if he doesn’t get it out will she not come home? it doesn’t make much sense to me. Remember as well that he asked for this interview and wasn’t confronted with questioning he didn’t expect, so he should have had a sensible message to get over (if indeed one was needed). Then he says “she was clearly compliant with local regulations “, who cares? If it was me I’d happily pay the fine to get my beloved back, it’s bizarre, trying to defend something that no-one really cares about (okay a few French did ask why was she up there during confinement). He says “Um I’ve spent most of the last 4 days walking” not searching? It also appears that during this “walking” he did not “walk” with the rescue services, very odd, I’m actually surprised they allowed him to do that, what if he fell off something? I suppose it’s possible that they don’t have the right to stop him but still, very odd. When it was said by the interviewer “Esther messaged you via WhatsApp the social media messaging um app on the 22nd......” he made no comment, he did not say yes or correct it to be a real conversation. This crops up again later (LBT Global statement). Some of the rest of this interview I’ll cover with the LBT Global statement but clearly the stand outs in the interview are his use of the past tense “...but she was doing what she absolutely loved to do,...” and “and I loved her for it” quickly corrected to “ I love her for it” and “I’ve never seen her as happy as she has been the past few weeks”, wow, the happiest he has ever seen her is when she wasn’t with him, that doesn’t sound too good and finally (for the moment) he says “ I’m convinced that she isn’t up there” again I personally find this odd, statistically the odds of a person “missing” on a mountain are that they are on the mountain.

On to the LBT Global statement; The statement appears to be made by Dan and Esther’s mother, there is no mention of her dad who she allegedly communicated her plans to (it’s not totally clear how or exactly when but the way it was presented (in msm) was that it was the 22nd). Why have they not got a statement from him with the details she gave him? Her mother says “We communicated several times every day.” yet at least 3 days passed before any alarm was raised (assuming that the alarm was raised towards the end of the 25th, it is not made clear exactly how and when the alarm was raised). If it’s true that they communicated several times a day ( I have no reason to doubt the mother) then the mother would have known what she was doing and would surely expect communication the morning of the 23rd (after a night out on a mountain). “The pair have been deeply upset at suggestions that Esther may have simply gone off in search of a ‘new life’. Daniel says:” In this case Dan speaks on behalf of the mother, I can see why he would be deeply upset but the mother, okay it’s not ideal but she would surely support her daughter’s decision.
“We spoke every day, the time apart worked as we expected, and we were very joyful when we spoke. We were missing each other. The hike she went missing on was to be her last hike before driving back. Our last conversation was totally loving and all smiles. She was so happy, and we were excited to see each other.” I take it this is from Dan, they spoke every day but in the BBC breakfast interview “it wasn’t unknown that it would be one or two days before I heard from her”, there’s quite a difference between those 2 statements. If they were “missing each other” why didn’t she pack it in and go home?
“Why the police who spoke to a journalist implied “things weren’t as happy as they looked” baffles me..” Who cares, the aim is to find her alive and well.
“During the first six days I spoke every day with both police search teams to coordinate my own hiking activities” Hiking activities! what’s he trying to say, while the SAR looked for her he went on a hike! It’s bizarre use of language especially when you’ve had time to think about it (and had help from LBT?)
“My only goal is to help them do what they need to do as quickly as possible.” For a man who appears to be well educated (by most standards) his use of the English language is very, very odd. Surely his “only goal” is to find Esther alive and well and all others things are stages along the way.
He can do 80 days in the wilderness but then needs to relax in a house due to health issues!
“Esther is an experienced mountain hiker.” without going into loads of details this does not appear to be true, firstly going off alone, followed by wearing “camo” gear, not having a PLB (or similar), not having extra phone batteries, not linked to a tracking system to show exactly where she was.... the list is endless. However, they can’t have it both ways, either she was experienced and would therefore follow her plan to the letter or report changes (and would follow “code” of signing in to refuges etc) or she wasn’t and therefore Dan is making things up and all bets are off as to what she may have done.
“...several multiday walks. She always let me know when she was setting off and when she expected to be back” That doesn’t sound to me like someone who was in regular, daily contact.

“Esther specified her route from the summit we spoke on” Did they speak in the real sense of the word? it’s very unclear what that communication was and what was said without even getting into “the last photo”. The “missing” page for Esther on LBT says “She messaged her partner from the top of Pic de Sauvegarde” so which was it and exactly what was “said”?
“I know she wouldn't have had a phone signal again on Sunday afternoon/evening, but she would have had a signal very soon after setting off the next day”. However, before this statement he said on BBC breakfast “Now I’ve since been in the area and found that the signal is actually quite good in a lot of the places she might have been” So again the question is asked, which is it? There was also a report attributed to the police that she turned to airplane mode to conserve her battery, this never gets mentioned by Dan. I’ve also seen it said by the police that the signal in the area was good. If she had a battery problem, as an “experienced” hiker she should have abandoned the hike and gone back to civilisation, the mountain will always be there (well for the foreseeable future) and there is always another day.

According to facebook Esther was out everyday for ages before this event and then suddenly on the 20th she has a day in the camper van and someone posts pictures of their dogs (which I believe have been in the UK since the summer) getting xmas presents!

I have no reason to doubt the sighting on the 21st or on the 22nd (but I do wonder what she did on the night of the 21st), since she seemed to be coming up the trail on the 22nd I take it she spent the night in the camper van or elsewhere in the town but that’s a bit fuzzy, there are many that think the 22nd was a continuation of the hike on the 21st.

I think the LBT Global statement raised more questions than it answered.

I don’t have the answer to what has happened to her but here are a few possibilities (I’m sure there are others):

Esther has had an accident, I don’t go for this for a variety of reasons but given that she was “experienced”, fit, on a known, not difficult, short route in open terrain heading for the refuge, an accident leaving no trace is imho unlikely.
Esther has committed suicide. I don’t go for this, she has been in contact with mum and dad, they report nothing unusual and she would have to do something which leaves no trace.
Esther encountered a third party who has committed a serious criminal act against her, again I don’t go for this, who would go up a mountain to do that? they have also left no trace
Esther has disappeared of her own accord without telling Dan. Does her mum know which is why she didn’t raise the alarm?
Esther has disappeared after telling Dan she was leaving him. Dan has reported her missing because it’s his best chance of finding her.
Esther has disappeared with Dan’s help and knowledge for publicity. The longer this goes on the less likely it seems, they don’t need to do it that long for the publicity, they will be facing serious charges, they have put pressure on their parents whether they know about it or not.

Sorry, I’ve tried to stick to accredited facts and statements but it may have got a bit rambling.
You’ve covered loads Palmer55 and so many of the things you mention are things that I’ve felt odd. Particularly the stuff he has said...
A lot of observers have said this case seems fish 🐟 y and things only seem fishy when people behave in ways that don’t seem fitting with their situation.
Just thinking about my son who sometimes doesn’t get home when I expect him too... I get anxious ... and in my anxiety I worry about what might have happened and start saying we should go out looking... I don’t say.. what a great and lovely boy he is and he taught me so much about this and that. He is effectively missing so anxiety kicks in and all I am concerned about is locating him! A poor example I know but.....

Hi, so for finding a living person as opposed to a specific smell (blood, cadaver) do they have to be given an item with the required scent on it?
In my experience yes a dog is trained in search and rescue to find the scent of a missing person .. they are given something that will carry the scent e.g a piece of clothing, glove, hair and etc. Then they are trained to go find that scent usually tracking a trail. Once scent located they should give a signal e. G sit / bark snd then get reward.

Blood and cadaver dogs usually work in a team... one goes in first to find blood ( blood has a particular scent) then once blood located the cadave dog scent in. So each dog is taught to find a partic scent. All blood has a particular scent and all cadavers have a partic generic scent. Living person has a particular scent to that person so need an item of clothing.
when I enter my house my dog only knows it’s me because he sniffs my leg. He can’t recognise my face.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
PeggyHenry " when I enter my house my dog only knows it’s me because he sniffs my leg. He can’t recognise my face. "

I had a large, guarding type breed many years ago and washed all my clothes in a new, smell removing washing powder. My dog didn't recognise me after and even approached me growling, I stayed calm and spoke to him but he remained suspicious. When I got my leather jacket out (obviously not washed) to take him for a walk, he grabbed it, guarded it and didn't want to let me have it. I stopped using said jacket and gradually things returned to normal. It was a bit of an eye opener.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.