Missing Blogger Esther Dingley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Same for me. It’s not a case of ‘not liking the sound of him’ or anything like that. I find it utterly bizarre given everything we know about him and how he’s behaving that anyone can be totally convinced he’s had nothing to do with it. I wish it weren’t so, but I have no doubt unfortunately.
The red flags are not just oddities, they are giveaways. You don't just "find" a body that search and rescue cannot find. Same as you don't hire PR firms, same as you don't conduct "your own search" at the very beginning. His arrogance is astounding. I'm sure they know it's him, same as Amaral knew immediately there had been foul play with Madeleine. I just hope they can prove it and that Esther gets justice.

I agree. My worry is it's such a complex case, involving a foreign citizen and seems to straddle two countries that neither of the police forces will investigate as thoroughly as they need to. In my opinion, that's why he chose that spot too.
Very good point about the spot he chose. We can only hope someone in the police there really wants to nail him for this.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Too many red flags here I'm afraid. He reminds me of that recent case in Greece where the husband had murdered the wife but pretended it was burglars - it was so obvious from the beginning that the husband had done it, and the same is true (for me) with this case. From the very get go Dan said he "loved" her (past tense). And then it was just one red flag after another. They will nail him for it. Will just take them some time. They already know it was murder as they have said it publicly now. He has totally messed up here by "finding" the body, so they will get him. Here's the recent photo of him. It was behind the subscribe thingy in The Times, but available on google if you search the full title of the article & then look in images. StMarysMead on Websleuths worked it all out ages ago but they kept shutting her up over there. Can't stand Websleuths!
Thanks for posting that photo, I couldn't find it.
I really, truly hope the police get to the bottom of what happens, there does seem to be a lot more to it.

Reactions: 3
Same for me. It’s not a case of ‘not liking the sound of him’ or anything like that. I find it utterly bizarre given everything we know about him and how he’s behaving that anyone can be totally convinced he’s had nothing to do with it. I wish it weren’t so, but I have no doubt unfortunately.
I think believers vs doubters will always be a thing because idealists reject viewing romantic partners (and often parent-child scenarios eg Mccanns) as containing so much evil.

It's not about intelligence. It threatens a world view and an identity.

There's another Mccann situation now with Summer Wells. Same thing transpiring.

The red flags are not just oddities, they are giveaways. You don't just "find" a body that search and rescue cannot find. Same as you don't hire PR firms, same as you don't conduct "your own search" at the very beginning. His arrogance is astounding. I'm sure they know it's him, same as Amaral knew immediately there had been foul play with Madeleine. I just hope they can prove it and that Esther gets justice.

Very good point about the spot he chose. We can only hope someone in the police there really wants to nail him for this.
Pineapple raised a very acute point earlier that went over my head until I reread the PR-led news article.

Dan was leading the charge of "it's a murder" long ago yet now that the body is found suddenly he & PR charity go against the police and start claiming it's an accident.

Incredibly odd behaviour.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
I personally reckon the police are reeling him in somewhat.. but they’re playing the long game knowing he’ll come unstuck

Reactions: 16
When did Mr. Colegate hire the PR Company ? I find this absolutely bonkers - if I had a loved one lost on a mountain the LAST thing I would do is spend my time looking for a PR Company to hire !

Somebody mentioned Ian Huntley and they are right, it does have similarities, Huntley imposed himself on every part of the investigation just like this.

I want to see any evidence that the Police have said Mr. Colegate is in the clear - because otherwise I don’t see how he is not a ‘person of interest’.

Reactions: 14
When did Mr. Colegate hire the PR Company ? I find this absolutely bonkers - if I had a loved one lost on a mountain the LAST thing I would do is spend my time looking for a PR Company to hire !

Somebody mentioned Ian Huntley and they are right, it does have similarities, Huntley imposed himself on every part of the investigation just like this.

I want to see any evidence that the Police have said Mr. Colegate is in the clear - because otherwise I don’t see how he is not a ‘person of interest’.
To be fair sometimes it’s a way to protect yourself from media intrusion. PR companies might approach people to offer their services, when that person is literally being deluged from media and press from around the world. Unless you’ve been the victim of press intrusion it’s difficult to understand quite how vile and underhand they can be. They will ‘doorstep‘ you relentlessly, your friends, colleagues, anyone who might know you. Journalists can be horrendous in their pursuit of a story and sometimes to direct everything via a PR agency is an effective way of getting them to stop all the dishonest tit they try to pull on inexperienced people, as once they know you are represented they will often stop all the underhand tit because they know they won’t get away with it. I have a little experience in this area via an old PR job and I’ve ‘protected’ individuals by representing them if that makes sense. Often a PR companies objective is to keep individuals OUT of something (often completely innocent people!) as much as it is getting publicity so from that perspective I understand him
, and her parents, having instructed them.

That said, this guy is guilty as sin in my eyes lol.....I just meant to add some context really. Not everyone who instructs a PR firm has something to hide! Often they’re just your run of the mill person - who has no experience of having the media all over them like a bleeping rash for months on end - and just need help and advice.

I worked with an 18 yr old and his family once. The boy had had sex with his teacher when he was younger, but by the time it all came into the press via her teaching regularity body, he was an adult and the media were bleeping awful, hounding him and his family to try and get him to ‘tell their side of their story’. They were desperate for ‘horny boy had sex with sexy older teacher’ story, but that really hadn’t been the case (he had in fact been quite a vulnerable young lad with his own personal issues), but they had their angle and they were offering him all sorts of cash for a story and quotes etc.

Unfortunately I had to break it to them that despite the journalists promises, he had no guarantees over the headline or the subsequent angle of the piece. No-one would come out of it looking pretty, and he would be even less likely to move on and have a successful future. He wanted to move on and although tempted by the cash, didn’t want to ruin his life by having his name out there in print, but they wouldn’t take no for an answer and they were offering some decent sum as at one stage. Once we were appointed they directed all enquires to us and hey presto we knew exactly the language to use with the journalists (and what parts of their own journalistic code to hold them to account for!).They backed the duck off once they were threatened with us approaching their own regulatory body for their breaches of their own bloody ethics with a family that didn’t know any better.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
This is the report of what the police are saying - so while it might be Dan (or another murderer I guess) it looks like an accident is higher on their list.

"the public prosecutor at Saint Gaudens where the search operation has been run, said Dingley’s body had been found high in the mountain, leading credence to the hypothesis that her death had been an accident.

“It’s not the kind of place you just come across. It is high in the mountains and difficult to access,” he said. “I have just spoken to the gendarmes who are carrying out the investigation and they tell me that their inquiries lead them to believe strongly, even almost exclusively, that it was an accident.”"

Like I say, I don't know but I do feel an accident is more likely, and while controlling partners do murder, it's not always - I just hate to jump to conclusions, where someone might always be suspected no matter what the evidence shows.

Reactions: 2
To be fair sometimes it’s a way to protect yourself from media intrusion. PR companies might approach people to offer their services, when that person is literally being deluged from media and press from around the world. Unless you’ve been the victim of press intrusion it’s difficult to understand quite how vile and underhand they can be. They will ‘doorstep‘ you relentlessly, your friends, colleagues, anyone who might know you. Journalists can be horrendous in their pursuit of a story and sometimes to direct everything via a PR agency is an effective way of getting them to stop all the dishonest tit they try to pull on inexperienced people, as once they know you are represented they will often stop all the underhand tit because they know they won’t get away with it. I have a little experience in this area via an old PR job and I’ve ‘protected’ individuals by representing them if that makes sense. Often a PR companies objective is to keep individuals OUT of something (often completely innocent people!) as much as it is getting publicity so from that perspective I understand him
, and her parents, having instructed them.

That said, this guy is guilty as sin in my eyes lol.....I just meant to add some context really. Not everyone who instructs a PR firm has something to hide! Often they’re just your run of the mill person - who has no experience of having the media all over them like a bleeping rash for months on end - and just need help and advice.

I worked with an 18 yr old and his family once. The boy had had sex with his teacher when he was younger, but by the time it all came into the press via her teaching regularity body, he was an adult and the media were bleeping awful, hounding him and his family to try and get him to ‘tell their side of their story’. They were desperate for ‘horny boy had sex with sexy older teacher’ story, but that really hadn’t been the case (he had in fact been quite a vulnerable young lad with his own personal issues), but they had their angle and they were offering him all sorts of cash for a story and quotes etc.

Unfortunately I had to break it to them that despite the journalists promises, he had no guarantees over the headline or the subsequent angle of the piece. No-one would come out of it looking pretty, and he would be even less likely to move on and have a successful future. He wanted to move on and although tempted by the cash, didn’t want to ruin his life by having his name out there in print, but they wouldn’t take no for an answer and they were offering some decent sum as at one stage. Once we were appointed they directed all enquires to us and hey presto we knew exactly the language to use with the journalists (and what parts of their own journalistic code to hold them to account for!).They backed the duck off once they were threatened with us approaching their own regulatory body for their breaches of their own bloody ethics with a family that didn’t know any better.
OK, thanks for your insight, perhaps it was necessary.
Still, why such a PR firm would allow Mr. Colegate to effectively call Ms. Laura Adomaityte a liar when she said that Ms.Dingley was having big doubts about the relationship is a mystery…

I still think the case is likely to be closed as an accident because I don’t think they’ll have enough evidence even if they suspect something else.

This is the report of what the police are saying - so while it might be Dan (or another murderer I guess) it looks like an accident is higher on their list.

"the public prosecutor at Saint Gaudens where the search operation has been run, said Dingley’s body had been found high in the mountain, leading credence to the hypothesis that her death had been an accident.

“It’s not the kind of place you just come across. It is high in the mountains and difficult to access,” he said. “I have just spoken to the gendarmes who are carrying out the investigation and they tell me that their inquiries lead them to believe strongly, even almost exclusively, that it was an accident.”"

Like I say, I don't know but I do feel an accident is more likely, and while controlling partners do murder, it's not always - I just hate to jump to conclusions, where someone might always be suspected no matter what the evidence shows.
There's another article quoting the head of the French investigation (he rules the whole Occitane area vs just Gaudens, think his name is Christophe or similar) and he says very different stuff to the Gaudens guy.

You raise a great point that's hugely on my mind with the Summer Wells case too.

I understand some people wanting to treat suspicious boyfriends or parents respectfully - to not hurt their feelings etc.

At the same time why do they not accord the same respect to experts in child homicide or partner homicide who have spent their lives dealing with these crimes?

It is admittedly as arrogant for me to say I believe the Mccanns/Wells/Dan are lying as it is for their defenders to attack experienced FBI statement analysts who point out their fishy behaviour.

We're all arrogant about our beliefs/hunches etc whatever side of the fence one is on.

It's so ironic.

OK, thanks for your insight, perhaps it was necessary.
Still, why such a PR firm would allow Mr. Colegate to effectively call Ms. Laura Adomaityte a liar when she said that Ms.Dingley was having big doubts about the relationship is a mystery…

I still think the case is likely to be closed as an accident because I don’t think they’ll have enough evidence even if they suspect something else.
Forensics will rule. That's why we'll get answers.

Dem bones.

Last edited:
  • Heart
LB Trust Global provides “overseas crisis support” and has charity status - so not a media liaison/PR agency per se but that must be part of their remit if the statement was issued on the newswires. It would be interesting to know what the financial arrangement is.

https://www.lbt.global/about-us

• Heart
Reactions: 4
LB Trust Global provides “overseas crisis support” and has charity status - so not a media liaison/PR agency per se but that must be part of their remit if the statement was issued on the newswires. It would be interesting to know what the financial arrangement is.

https://www.lbt.global/about-us
High profile cases keep LBT "relevant" (public perception really) so they get donations from the public.

Which is not to say they do anything useful ....

Dan is skint so book sales are very important.

Reactions: 2
I’ve only heard bits of this story on the radio and the fact her body has now been found and the investigation has changed to Murder.

I watch a lot of real life crime programmes and as we know you are more likely to be murdered by someone you know than a total stranger, if this case is indeed murder. There is so much that needs looking into, ie how long the bones have been there, if they were moved, any marks on the bones showing trauma etc. Even with today’s forensic marvels sometimes it takes years to come up with a solution to a crime and sometimes they’re left unsolved.

Reactions: 5
The French cops have always stated that E & D's relationship was not good.

They know more than we do.

I'd say Dan's first big error was to attack the cops for stating that.

A. R. R. O. G. A. N. C. E.
In Dan's world view he owns the narrative not the inferior cops.

That's why he rejected joining the official search party in 2020.

And why he had to "outsmart" them by 'finding the body'.

He is 'above' them. He was 'above Esther'. He's a full on narc.

Healthy people do not behave with such arrogance.

Reactions: 10

The word ‘ almost exclusively‘ seems as definitive as they would get to be honest. Fair enough.

If you look at a map of the area, the border between Spain and France joins the Pic du Sav with Port du Glera and is marked with a dotted line. It looks like a great ridge walk, but it is not a path! The terrain is very difficult and dangerous to walk. I do wonder if she mistook it for a marked route and attempted to walk it in order to cut short the loop she had planned.

Reactions: 1
If my partner was missing (heaven forbid) I wouldn't be searching for their body months later. Surely that's hurrendously traumatic and not something you would want to be met with? I also wouldn't hire a PR agency.

Reactions: 6
It's a weird one. I spent a year living in St Gaudens when I was a student in the 90s. I also grew up -and still live- on the edge of the Cairngorms. Anyone who has spent any time in the Pyrenees can see how easily an accident can happen and for a body not to be found for a long time. And that does happen here in Scotland too.
On the other hand there are just too many other strange aspects to this case (or what parts we know of it) that don't smell right. I can only assume the professionals know more than they're letting on and hope that it will all come out in the end.

Reactions: 11
I just hope they get him for it. Esther seemed like a genuinely lovely person, and he does not and he's a terrible actor.

It's so sad that she died. I wish it was an accident but there are far too many red flags to reasonably think it was.
The post mortem results will be interesting. Fingers crossed there is strong evidence. I'm glad her family get to bury her, but another family has been robbed of their loved one because of some heartless, attention craving psychopath.

Reactions: 7
Isn't it a coincidence that Dan found the body and equipment, when the SAR teams could not? Sounds fishy to me. Those 3 missing days and Esthers' phone will hold all the clues to whether this was a tragic accident or a pre-planned murder of a woman trying to get away from a control freak. I still shiver at the "mutual loathing" comment Dan used. Did Esther end the relationship and was trying to find a way out, but Dan found her before she could get away? Awaiting the forensic investigations......

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.