Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Johara

Psychology:

Today when I was searching for the BBC clip I landed on his Twitter page...

All the tweets are about his birth defect. Incontinence.

My impression: the tweeter is very angry. The world must know what he suffered as a school kid with this health issue.

1. He holds great anger (Tweets show this & he wrote about loathing her in his 2020 book).

2. Living with incontinence & not asking for help at school means as a boy he had to think very strategically about logistics. He must be a great planner as an adult

3. He is accustomed to living with shame. It must be 2nd nature to "wear a mask".

4. He feels he suffered unjustly so his empathy for others is probably low

5. ED wrote about how he encouraged her to push through her boundaries - we have boundaries for a reason. Safety. Comfort. Healthy survival. They are to be respected and left standing, not eroded.

6. Add in the control freakery examples: she wants a sunny holiday but he decides it will be a Winter one. He elects himself public spokesperson for the police investigations on Facebook till they tell him to quit it. He writes a book sharing their most private dirty laundry with the world (what woman would enjoy that! She had no say clearly)

7. He writes a poem about "craving you when you are far away but not wanting to be near you when you return". Classic push-pull behaviour of personality disorders. Cruel avoidant intimacy phobes.

Put it all together and we have a Covert character. Capable of ruthlessness. ED may not have originally been a codependent personality but anyone living with a Covert narc for 18 years has to adapt in order to stay.

* This is my opinion only. My observations. I could be wrong.

Exactly my point- maybe the boyfriend can’t prove where he was?
Yes.

There is a train from Toulouse to Luchon that takes 3hrs. Toulouse is 100 miles from Arreau his village according to the Daily Mail.

Logistically he could have witnesses see him in the morning and even up till 1pm but get to ED in 3-4hrs, do his thing and return before midnight.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

Damita

Even if he truly had nothing to do with it, his way of going about things with media companies, the generally arrogant behaviour, and now making pronouncements on what happened rather than let the appropriate investigation and law enforcement agencies do it, is extremely unlikeable
It really rubs me the wrong way when people who are in the news because of tragedy hire PR companies and act like celebrities.

The first time I saw this happen was with the McCann case, and what I think of them is probably something I should not print.

I know we all respond to grief and attention in different ways but I find it downright bizarre and it instantly makes me lose sympathy for people. Just seems so narcissists.

• Heart

AriaAria

Too many red flags here I'm afraid. He reminds me of that recent case in Greece where the husband had murdered the wife but pretended it was burglars - it was so obvious from the beginning that the husband had done it, and the same is true (for me) with this case. From the very get go Dan said he "loved" her (past tense). And then it was just one red flag after another. They will nail him for it. Will just take them some time. They already know it was murder as they have said it publicly now. He has totally messed up here by "finding" the body, so they will get him. Here's the recent photo of him. It was behind the subscribe thingy in The Times, but available on google if you search the full title of the article & then look in images. StMarysMead on Websleuths worked it all out ages ago but they kept shutting her up over there. Can't stand Websleuths!

Attachments

petitspois

VIP Member
I think I'll always think he did it to be honest. He is a bright guy and is doing all the 'right' things in terms of making it look like it's not him - keeping the story in the news, doubting whether it was an accident, etc...

I just feel there's something controlling and off about him.

There is something not quite right about it! And yes the comment about their lives not being as happy as they seemed on social media - but couldn’t you say that for most people...?!

the weirdest thing of all to me is that 1) the bbc article got published on the day she disappeared?? (Or just before) seems too strange to be a coincidence and 2) why did she go off hiking by herself so often? Seems odd that her partner never went with her.

• Sad
Reactions: 17

AriaAria

Dan just posted this on Facebook:

Dear Friends,

I expect some of you will have seen some of the recent statements made by the French authorities overseeing the investigation into Esther's death. Myself and Esther's mum visited the lead investigator in Toulouse this morning and they provided us with all the information they have at this time. It is, of course, up to them now to release that information once it is formally confirmed.

The purpose of this post is simply to express my, and the rest of the family's, continued gratitude and admiration for the work done by all of the various police teams that have been involved on both sides of the border -since day one of the search - both of the search and rescue units and both of the investigative teams.

I simply don't have the vocabulary to fully express how challenging these past months have been, but I am certain that without the support, courage and determination of the individuals assigned to lead this case and their team members, those difficulties would have been significantly increased.

We've thanked everyone in person already, but I wanted to say it publicly. Having experienced first hand how hard it was to find answers, I honestly don't think they could have done more. The only difference between me and them was that I only had a single task, while they continued to rescue others as well. They are heroes.

Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts.

Is it just me, but this rubs me the wrong way. I get that he is thanking those who helped, but it's so "happy". I'm also quite shocked that this is the first thing he addresses now that the news has come out. How about addressing Esther? The girl he failed to alert the authorities on for 3 days. Shouldn't she come first? Couldn't he have tagged a paragraph of gratitude on to the end of a lovely obituary for Esther? Tell us all the wonderful things about her, tell us of his absolute devastation over these past months and esp the past few weeks. The cynic in me thinks he's mightily happy the authorities have classed this as an accident and he's very "grateful" for that. Sorry everyone, but I'm very cross & upset about this. Esther deserved far better. RIP & fly high sweet girl.

• Sad

palmer85

I have followed this case right from the start and immediately something didn’t smell right about this story, it’s got more than a touch of the of a well know Portuguese case about it. It started with the massive coincidence that the very day that an interview about them was published was the last day Esther was seen (or heard from). So after 6 years and just about to pack in the nomadic life (I have seen this somewhere but it may be msm rubbish) she disappears just as they have BBC publicity.

It was swiftly followed up, 28th Nov, by Dan’s “ I'm broken. Shattered to report that my beloved Esther, the person who taught me how to feel, is missing.” Now I know there will be many who say people react differently but really, for me, this was way too much, distraught, sick with fear, yes but not broken and shattered, that’s what happens at then end when you know what has become of her. If he was broken and shattered how would he recover if she turned up the next day?

Dan followed this up with more bizarre behaviour, on the 1st dec (facebook) “I'm going to do some more walking myself now before the sun goes down”, sounds like he’s on an enjoyable holiday, surely he meant “going to do some more frantic searching”. By the way he seemed to have time to compose facebook posts whilst his beloved was missing, what was the point, no one reading it was going to help, the rescue services were already heavily involved. If it was me I would have spent every waking hour searching. He also said in this post “I've been told that the story has received a lot of attention in the media though I've not had chance to look myself.” Yeah right!

Later on Dec 1st (again facebook) “She was so utterly happy and joyful when we last spoke, I'd do anything to see her face and hold her right now.” Again a little touch of the Portuguese case and further would he have wanted to see her face etc if she hadn’t been so utterly happy....?

On Dec 2nd (facebook) in the evening he states “Now that this is a formal police investigation I've been asked to let any future updates and comments come out via formal channels, which makes complete sense to me. “ This is of course after his BBC breakfast appearance, again not sure what the point of this was other than publicity, not sure it went down that well though, see next and later a comparison with the LBT Global statement. By the way during all this time when he was broken and shattered (although that really only seem to last for the first facebook posting) he had time to look through facebook and remove comments that he didn’t like, there weren’t many but there were a few negative ones asking him awkward questions, the posters were told to “go away” by the other “nice” posters but still Dan (or someone else) had the time and inclination to remove them, if they are not true leave them there, you’ve got better things to do with your time. Another bizarre thing happened in among these facebook comments, his dad said he was coming out to be with him, he shouldn’t face this (whatever this is) by himself, he put that on facebook! wouldn’t most dads call them and speak to them about this?

In his Dec 2nd BBC breakfast interview, which he asked for, he says “then I’d like to get that message out that it’s a possibility and that she may still come home.”. Why does he need to get that message out, if he doesn’t get it out will she not come home? it doesn’t make much sense to me. Remember as well that he asked for this interview and wasn’t confronted with questioning he didn’t expect, so he should have had a sensible message to get over (if indeed one was needed). Then he says “she was clearly compliant with local regulations “, who cares? If it was me I’d happily pay the fine to get my beloved back, it’s bizarre, trying to defend something that no-one really cares about (okay a few French did ask why was she up there during confinement). He says “Um I’ve spent most of the last 4 days walking” not searching? It also appears that during this “walking” he did not “walk” with the rescue services, very odd, I’m actually surprised they allowed him to do that, what if he fell off something? I suppose it’s possible that they don’t have the right to stop him but still, very odd. When it was said by the interviewer “Esther messaged you via WhatsApp the social media messaging um app on the 22nd......” he made no comment, he did not say yes or correct it to be a real conversation. This crops up again later (LBT Global statement). Some of the rest of this interview I’ll cover with the LBT Global statement but clearly the stand outs in the interview are his use of the past tense “...but she was doing what she absolutely loved to do,...” and “and I loved her for it” quickly corrected to “ I love her for it” and “I’ve never seen her as happy as she has been the past few weeks”, wow, the happiest he has ever seen her is when she wasn’t with him, that doesn’t sound too good and finally (for the moment) he says “ I’m convinced that she isn’t up there” again I personally find this odd, statistically the odds of a person “missing” on a mountain are that they are on the mountain.

On to the LBT Global statement; The statement appears to be made by Dan and Esther’s mother, there is no mention of her dad who she allegedly communicated her plans to (it’s not totally clear how or exactly when but the way it was presented (in msm) was that it was the 22nd). Why have they not got a statement from him with the details she gave him? Her mother says “We communicated several times every day.” yet at least 3 days passed before any alarm was raised (assuming that the alarm was raised towards the end of the 25th, it is not made clear exactly how and when the alarm was raised). If it’s true that they communicated several times a day ( I have no reason to doubt the mother) then the mother would have known what she was doing and would surely expect communication the morning of the 23rd (after a night out on a mountain). “The pair have been deeply upset at suggestions that Esther may have simply gone off in search of a ‘new life’. Daniel says:” In this case Dan speaks on behalf of the mother, I can see why he would be deeply upset but the mother, okay it’s not ideal but she would surely support her daughter’s decision.
“We spoke every day, the time apart worked as we expected, and we were very joyful when we spoke. We were missing each other. The hike she went missing on was to be her last hike before driving back. Our last conversation was totally loving and all smiles. She was so happy, and we were excited to see each other.” I take it this is from Dan, they spoke every day but in the BBC breakfast interview “it wasn’t unknown that it would be one or two days before I heard from her”, there’s quite a difference between those 2 statements. If they were “missing each other” why didn’t she pack it in and go home?
“Why the police who spoke to a journalist implied “things weren’t as happy as they looked” baffles me..” Who cares, the aim is to find her alive and well.
“During the first six days I spoke every day with both police search teams to coordinate my own hiking activities” Hiking activities! what’s he trying to say, while the SAR looked for her he went on a hike! It’s bizarre use of language especially when you’ve had time to think about it (and had help from LBT?)
“My only goal is to help them do what they need to do as quickly as possible.” For a man who appears to be well educated (by most standards) his use of the English language is very, very odd. Surely his “only goal” is to find Esther alive and well and all others things are stages along the way.
He can do 80 days in the wilderness but then needs to relax in a house due to health issues!
“Esther is an experienced mountain hiker.” without going into loads of details this does not appear to be true, firstly going off alone, followed by wearing “camo” gear, not having a PLB (or similar), not having extra phone batteries, not linked to a tracking system to show exactly where she was.... the list is endless. However, they can’t have it both ways, either she was experienced and would therefore follow her plan to the letter or report changes (and would follow “code” of signing in to refuges etc) or she wasn’t and therefore Dan is making things up and all bets are off as to what she may have done.
“...several multiday walks. She always let me know when she was setting off and when she expected to be back” That doesn’t sound to me like someone who was in regular, daily contact.

“Esther specified her route from the summit we spoke on” Did they speak in the real sense of the word? it’s very unclear what that communication was and what was said without even getting into “the last photo”. The “missing” page for Esther on LBT says “She messaged her partner from the top of Pic de Sauvegarde” so which was it and exactly what was “said”?
“I know she wouldn't have had a phone signal again on Sunday afternoon/evening, but she would have had a signal very soon after setting off the next day”. However, before this statement he said on BBC breakfast “Now I’ve since been in the area and found that the signal is actually quite good in a lot of the places she might have been” So again the question is asked, which is it? There was also a report attributed to the police that she turned to airplane mode to conserve her battery, this never gets mentioned by Dan. I’ve also seen it said by the police that the signal in the area was good. If she had a battery problem, as an “experienced” hiker she should have abandoned the hike and gone back to civilisation, the mountain will always be there (well for the foreseeable future) and there is always another day.

According to facebook Esther was out everyday for ages before this event and then suddenly on the 20th she has a day in the camper van and someone posts pictures of their dogs (which I believe have been in the UK since the summer) getting xmas presents!

I have no reason to doubt the sighting on the 21st or on the 22nd (but I do wonder what she did on the night of the 21st), since she seemed to be coming up the trail on the 22nd I take it she spent the night in the camper van or elsewhere in the town but that’s a bit fuzzy, there are many that think the 22nd was a continuation of the hike on the 21st.

I think the LBT Global statement raised more questions than it answered.

I don’t have the answer to what has happened to her but here are a few possibilities (I’m sure there are others):

Esther has had an accident, I don’t go for this for a variety of reasons but given that she was “experienced”, fit, on a known, not difficult, short route in open terrain heading for the refuge, an accident leaving no trace is imho unlikely.
Esther has committed suicide. I don’t go for this, she has been in contact with mum and dad, they report nothing unusual and she would have to do something which leaves no trace.
Esther encountered a third party who has committed a serious criminal act against her, again I don’t go for this, who would go up a mountain to do that? they have also left no trace
Esther has disappeared of her own accord without telling Dan. Does her mum know which is why she didn’t raise the alarm?
Esther has disappeared after telling Dan she was leaving him. Dan has reported her missing because it’s his best chance of finding her.
Esther has disappeared with Dan’s help and knowledge for publicity. The longer this goes on the less likely it seems, they don’t need to do it that long for the publicity, they will be facing serious charges, they have put pressure on their parents whether they know about it or not.

Sorry, I’ve tried to stick to accredited facts and statements but it may have got a bit rambling.

sickofsm

Long time lurker here.....
I've read through the thread and don't see this being mentioned, sorry if I've missed it and I'm repeating things. But does anybody else find it very strange that the couple's website is practically at a stand still, and there is absolutely no mention of Esther's disappearance? Surely the partner should be utilising any media space and spreading the word of her disappearance? I find that very odd. No body close to this woman seems to be doing much to keep her name in people's mouths....

Very traditional

VIP Member
Men often move on quickly, I’ve seen it happen a lot on Instagram after women have shared their cancer journey and sadly died.
This is very true, a lot of men simply can't be without a woman. My sister in law is currently in a 10 month relationship with a widower who's wife died less than 18 months ago 🤷‍♀️ A distant relative lost his wife (mother to his 20yr old daughter) to an aneurism in March 2019 and was living with and engaged to "to love of his life" by December 2019, he couldn't understand why his daughter was so upset but it all.

• Sad
  • Wow

Lovely

Chatty Member
Men often move on quickly, I’ve seen it happen a lot on Instagram after women have shared their cancer journey and sadly died.
I used to follow the BBC presenter Rachael Bland, who sadly died of cancer. Her husband moved on very quickly with a woman who looks just like Rachael and has also got himself a nice radio/Instagram side gig (even though it was Rachael who spent 20 years building a broadcasting career) out of being a 'cancer husband' where he gets constantly fawned over by women for being such an amazing guy. :sick:

(Sorry to go off-topic!)

• Sad
  • Sick

Tilly3

VIP Member
Just so everyone knows, your pets can track you via your tiny skin cells dropping off your body as you walk.

Their noses are WAY more powerful than ours.

Not just your pets. Any animal given your clothing gets your "scent" as in what your body cells smell like.

Cells. So your hair, your skin etc.

Yes.

Timing.

19th Mr Rainbow

20th ED curls up all day & night in camper apparently.

21st ED excitedly & romantically? Says "Maybe I can see you!!" Tagging DC on Luchon view

22nd ED vanishes after Whatsapp call with DC at 4pm

Just to reiterate, not only must ED's feet be off the ground...

She should make no movement whatsoever.

She had to be put into a thickly covered sack so that her body cells - teeeny tiny things - would not fall to the ground.

Then transported to a suitably hidden spot.

Or thrown from a cliff.

Or thrown into a lake.

Or Aliens took her off in a UFO. NOT.

Point is off the ground. Into a sack that is tightly woven so body cells can't filter through.

I'm sorry for the emotions any of this may cause. I'm feeling very sombre. I had only realised the significance of the dogs in the past 24hrs.

I've paid animal experts to help me locate a missing pet. That's where I learned this stuff about leaving trails for traumatised animals to come home ie if they were stolen/chased away by bad people & moved to another area of the city.

Experts teach you all this about animal skills. It's quite a mindblowing field.

Once it all fits together it really knocks one.

I'm certain the police have reviewed that same tight timeline in a very sober way.

And the dogs.

And that is why they are meeting next week face to face for the 1st time. French & Spanish.

To strategise where to search on the mountain in unscentable dog-unfriendly places.

What a task.

They know there is foul play. They made it a criminal case.

DC said so on Monday in the statement.

That's what everyone forgets!

The cops made it a criminal investigation.

Because of the dogs.

You should remind the people on WS that this is a Criminal Investigation. I.e foul play.

The cops say so.

Peggy,

And tell them there is NO WAY that ED walked from Pic de Sauvegarde anywhere.

Not a step beyond her identified last location.

Because the dogs cannot trace her further movements.

Before snow fell.

Foul Play.
This is getting more ridiculous by the day 🤦‍♀️

Long time lurker here.....
I've read through the thread and don't see this being mentioned, sorry if I've missed it and I'm repeating things. But does anybody else find it very strange that the couple's website is practically at a stand still, and there is absolutely no mention of Esther's disappearance? Surely the partner should be utilising any media space and spreading the word of her disappearance? I find that very odd. No body close to this woman seems to be doing much to keep her name in people's mouths....
That’s because she’s at a woman’s refuge in Spain. The refuge is not allowed to divulge the names of women who seek their safety. That’s why it’s gone quite. They family have been informed though, hence no need to keep it in the public domain.

• Wow

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Huge coincidence that right at the time when the needle swings towards it being suspicious (foul play) due to the fact that no equipment/clothing has been found, results in…. her clothing and equipment being found. And how is this information released? Dan putting out a statement via an agency saying this means it’s now highly likely an accident. Ok.

• Sad

AriaAria

Same for me. It’s not a case of ‘not liking the sound of him’ or anything like that. I find it utterly bizarre given everything we know about him and how he’s behaving that anyone can be totally convinced he’s had nothing to do with it. I wish it weren’t so, but I have no doubt unfortunately.
The red flags are not just oddities, they are giveaways. You don't just "find" a body that search and rescue cannot find. Same as you don't hire PR firms, same as you don't conduct "your own search" at the very beginning. His arrogance is astounding. I'm sure they know it's him, same as Amaral knew immediately there had been foul play with Madeleine. I just hope they can prove it and that Esther gets justice.

I agree. My worry is it's such a complex case, involving a foreign citizen and seems to straddle two countries that neither of the police forces will investigate as thoroughly as they need to. In my opinion, that's why he chose that spot too.
Very good point about the spot he chose. We can only hope someone in the police there really wants to nail him for this.

• Heart

Lovely

Chatty Member
The unfortunate reality is that Dan will probably move on quickly and have another woman in his life pretty soon. He will probably do long, gushing interviews about how she 'saved' him from despair, he never expected to find love again, etc. Men like him are extremely predictable.