Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

stopthescams

Chatty Member
People like Monroe - who rightfully got fired from L’Oreal for saying all white people were racist have played a part in creating conditions where CE feel genuinely hard done by for what’s known in the real world as ‘business’.
Same goes for Ash Sarkar. They created this monster. You reap what u sow
Nah sorry this not okay. Munroe was talking about institutional racism and how white people in general have upheld this. This is true. If you interpreted that to her as meaning every single individual white person is a racist then that’s on you but that’s not what she was saying. She absolutely did not deserve to be fired especially when there’s white people who do say genuinely racist things and don’t get the same treatment.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

Guccigal

Chatty Member
I’m not on anyone’s side and don’t agree with SFs behaviour as another black woman, but some of the comments on here from people that are clearly white make for an uncomfortable read

I feel a few white people are using this situation to air out negative feelings/criticisms they’ve held in, but haven’t had the space to voice due to fear of being attacked and are now using the fact that other Black people have berated SF as a hall pass to do the same and share some out of pocket statements and opinions

yes, no one is above reproach regardless of race - but it’s important to still remember your place in certain conversations and how you address things. Just wanted to leave that here

• Heart
Reactions: 34

lemonpeach

firstly i can see that youre on the lydia millen thread saying that her KNEES annoy you EVEN THOUGH you think she has an eating disorder?! imagine coming online to make fun of another womans body who you suspect of suffering with an ED and then coming onto this thread on your high horse.

secondly have you actually read what these people are saying on twitter? its really not about them ‘saving’florence given. in fact i imagine none of them particularly care for her.what theyre talking about is their own issues with Chidera and her behaviour which is what people do when someones in the news. if someone has shown you questionable behaviour and you think theyre behaving questionably right now then of course youre going to say something.

also its disingenuous to say the accusations about chidera stealing from sex workers is about ‘saggy boobs’. its about way more than that maybe have a look at what those people have said also.

at the end of the day this is a gossip site where people come to vent their opinions just like you have done on other threads. if you feel so strongly about chidera then start a rave thread or maybe just dont read this one? we are all allowed to have different opinions but coming on here like that isnt about to persuade people to see things differently.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

korma

Ugh I though that person was telling SF to let it go! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Coconuts isn't a racist term tho

But I don't doubt that the publisher at the very least will send a cease and desist if they haven't already.
Accusing them of left if defamatory/libellous right?
Coconut is racist lol. You wouldn't call a white person a coconut. Same with "oreo", "banana" etc. Anything that accuses someone of being "white on the inside" is hella racist bc it assumes black people (or whatever race you're talking about) have to fit a certain stereotype and that traits such as bookishness, introversion, cleverness, quietness or being well-spoken can only be "white traits". Do you see how grim that is?

Whoa - new twist...CE is now saying she’s “queer” but she doesn’t use her “queerness” as a method of branding. Also CE has trademarked “comrade” so all you folks out there using that word - pay up comrades because CE the proletariat needs some luxury goods! And FFS Flossie - send the cease and desist and put us out of our misery!!!!
This raised my eyebrows as SO much of Chidera's work has talked about being a straight woman. This is literally the first time she's mentioned being queer and it's only so she can weaponise it against Floss. Like, good for her if she's had a queer awakening, but could she really have come out in a more sus way honestly 😂😂 also if she was actually queer she'd understand how big of a deal representation is for queer kids surrounded by homophobic families and maybe see the value in Florence talking about queerness rather than accusing her of "sprinkling queer" on Chidera's work? If I'm giving the absolute benefit of the doubt then maybe Chidera is just at the very beginning of her journey with queerness and doesn't understand all these perspectives - but that means she should stfu, learn from her queer elders in the community, and not instantly try and weaponise her queerness to prove a point and tear another woman down. I almost expected a "ner-ner" at the end of that post it was so childish.

And lol the USSR called, Chidera, they wanna sue for the use of the word comrade xxx

ETA - So she's just admitted to making £27,060 (literally the entire cost of my fuckin degree) in less than a month off this Skillshare thing, and she's STILL asking white people who are skint enough to have to wait til payday, to send her their spare cash so she can enjoy "luxury essentials". Fuck this disgusting neolib bellend, honestly. How dare she even come near the word "comrade", her behaviour is not comradely at all. So greedy and moneygrabbing from people less fortunate than herself.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

trixytrips

I actually feel kind of bad for Florence.

If she writes a book, she’s plagiarising. If she doesn’t, it’s white silence.

If she talks about white feminism, she’s ignoring marginalised communities. If she talks about intersectional feminism, she’s hogging the mic.

if she asks poc to comment, she’s making black women do her labour. If she does her research and writes about it, she should pass the mic.

If she draws white characters, it isn’t diverse. If she draws black women, it’s “digital blackface”.

The girl has her problems but she seems willing to learn and I know it isn’t trendy to say but I thought her book was a good intro to intersectional feminism. Would have loved to read when I was 20

Reactions: 30

trixytrips

@champagnemami99 what you said was racist. I didn’t call you a racist - I don’t know you so how could I? Everyone has the capacity to say racist things.

If you can’t take the time to consider what people from other cultures are telling you about your actions, you will find yourself consistently saying racist things.

• Heart
Reactions: 30

trixytrips

@champagnemami99 I understand you weren’t familiar with the phrase which is why I politely informed you of it’s Nigerian meaning.

You then decided to double-down on the word “vulgar” even after you had received the explanation. That’s when it became racist. When you had the knowledge that this phrase is popularly used by Nigerians and still decided to call it vulgar.

You can’t really use the excuse “I’m English, I find it vulgar” - because I’m English too. I learned the phrase the same way you did - by someone explaining it. I didn’t say “ew” or “that’s vulgar”. I simply showed my respect for the culture and accepted it.

Tired of having the way we speak in Nigeria called “vulgar”. We’re just adapting a language (that we didn’t even want to speak) to fit our culture, and now it’s part of our culture. Please respect that.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

trixytrips

You brought colonisation, race and cultures into it, I didn’t.
My comment that, in my culture (raised in UK), talking about necks and throats sounds vulgar is a valid opinion.
I’m also English. I’ve been raised here my entire life so I can speak on behalf of English people too. It is racist because it’s a Nigerian phrase. I explained that politely and you still insist on calling it vulgar. I understand at initial glance the phrase looks harsh to you but once I explained, you can learn and move on.

Of course I have to bring colonisation into it. We wouldn’t be speaking English in Nigeria if it wasn’t for the fact. And to call the Nigerian phrases we have coined from the English language “vulgar” is a form of microaggression and elitism.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

korma

In these times of uncertainty, I hope no one is leaving themselves short this month to fund her "top tier essentials". It's really bothering me that some of these women who feel guilted into paying her money might be low paid, working class women.
100%, so many of the people messaging her mention having to wait for payday or sending her literally all of their disposable income, it's actually disgusting that she's rinsing people less economically well-off than herself, not intersectional at all. She bangs on about race but has nothing to say about where she fits into the class system other than she was raised in Peckham. But Chidera would NEVER admit to her own privilege because her entire worldview depends on victimhood.

(Double post soz) I can't remember which of Chidera's billions of essays on her story I saw this on (think it was one of the WhatsApp messages with Munroe), but she said something along the lines of how Florence had stolen her ideas and "sprinkled queer on it".

That really fucking rubbed me up the wrong way. Being queer is often traumatic and constitutes an almost entirely different life experience, worldview, and relationship with yourself and others around you - for many being queer is one of (if not THE) most defining features of their life and it's not just some trifling thing people say about themselves to make themselves sound interesting or edgy. You can't just "sprinkle queer" on something, it's not an addition, it's an IDENTITY - e.g. a lesbian book is a lesbian book, not a book with lesbianism sprinkled on top. "Queer" literally means unusual, strange, different from the accepted norms, it refers to something altogether and fundamentally apart from the default, straight, cis world most people inhabit - Chidera really let her cishet privilege get the better of her when she acted like queerness is something you could "sprinkle on" to feminism. No hun, queer feminism is its own respected and established field and you clearly don't have the first clue about it.

But Chidera will 100% never do the work to engage with queer theory or be an effective ally to us, because she's only interested in identity politics when it benefits her.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27

Guccigal

Chatty Member
I saw my post asking about migrant parents angered you. I genuinely didn't understand the relevance here of migrant parents being more discouraging of this career path than other parents. I guess what I was trying to get at is that it's such a new "career" that has only surfaced in the last few years, I can imagine the majority of parents would be horrified by their children choosing it as their career goal and it's not something that is exclusive to migrant parents. This is how I would feel if any of our kids decided their aim in life was to become an influencer. It's too shallow and flash in the pan, it's easily lost, you're so easily vilified (see this whole thread), it usually happens WAY too quickly, often way too young, or not at all and then they feel like a failure. I've seen the desperation of influencers clamouring to keep themselves in the limelight doing all manner of weird shit to stay relevant, I wouldn't want that for my child. I would much rather they stay in education and get a proper career.

It was immediately brought to my attention that I was wrong and migrant parents are a whole different ball game/more complex, which I am absolutely fine with being corrected on. Apologies if my comment angered you or anyone else.
I wish there was a disagree button as the angry button always feels too harsh. Didn’t mean to make it feel like an attack x

I’ll speak from an African perspective but a lot our parents gave up A LOT to come to the UK and build a life. Like literally left everything behind, and often alone or with their children, to join the rest of the diaspora in the UK that had done the same. They then worked very hard to assimilate often in the face of racism and discrimination. A lot of people don’t know that a lot of ethnic Uber drivers, nurses, cleaners etc actually have degrees back home and would’ve been considered “well-off” in their home countries. But they leave that behind along with their pride to give their kids a better chance at succeeding or to chase success.

So when you do your best to raise your child the best way you can and they mess about at school or want to pursue a career that has its risks, it’s scary and some parents often feel the child isn’t taking into consideration what they’ve sacrificed to secure their future.

So it just goes a lot deeper than “not understanding” what an influencer is and there’s a lot to unpack on the generational, historical and cultural differences that 1st gen black-Brits have to navigate with their parents.

Hope that makes sense

• Heart
Reactions: 27

bunnyblue

I agree that it was a bit odd to call those sayings vulgar, there are plenty of western / english sayings that by the same measure could be called vulgar, like: break a leg, by the skin of your teeth, kill two birds with one stone, more than one way to skin a cat, etc

I don’t think sayings referring to necks like that are that much more vulgar than many others, isn’t “wind your neck in” a western thing?

Reactions: 26

elttat

whewwwwwww - it's curtains for slummy!

munroe didn't lie at all and I totally commend her for speaking up x

• Heart
Reactions: 25

lemonpeach

As other people have said, Slumflower has raised some fair points (eg issues in the publishing industry) or at least points where you can see her logic even if you don’t agree with her. But now she is just saying the most outlandish shit in a way that undermines her own argument and her points get lost in the noise of her saying things that are absolutely ridiculous.

She very much seems to think of herself as being above criticism or accountability, including when it is entirely diplomatic and constructive, even when it’s said to her by other black women.

from all the stuff she shares on her stories of her DMs, the majority of the people hyping her up and feeding into her, are young white women/girls who are eagerly using this as an opportunity to show they’ve been “doing the work” on anti-racism, and can now demonstrate how not racist they are cause they sent money to Slumflower on PayPal. They now feel like they can give themselves a pat on the back for choosing not to side with the white woman in this situation, without looking at it objectively and seeing that the issue probably lies with publishers signing off on repetitive content because their ultimate interest is money and not feminism.

• Heart

lemonpeach

also the post it notes thing has got on my tits. I could read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and mark each time one of them talked about friendship, wizards or magic, it doesn’t make them the fucking same 😂

• Heart
  • Haha

Guccigal

Chatty Member
Yes, i said this AFTER being informed that this is a common expression in Nigerian culture. I pulled up the dictionary definition to show you WHY I used the word as a response to talk of throats and necks.

If you read my above post, I have said that I have not and would not use that descriptor after being told of its Nigerian influence. I re-quoted what i said afterwards, not calling it vulgar again.
Why are you finding it so hard to just say you “didn’t know what she meant but thanks for explaining, sorry if I sounded offensive”. Some real weird comments and sentiments in this thread ngl

• Heart

lemonpeach

To be fair to Munroe as well, we’ve all had that friend who’s been ranting to us about something and we don’t even agree with them but we are just like ‘yeah totally you’re so right’ just to make them feel better or cause they’d start arguing with you if you disagree 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 24