Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Crumpet41

VIP Member
I agree but I don't think screaming at white women is the way to go about deescalating a situation. It's only going to make it worse.
I want to know who she is referring to ( or what platform at least) in the latest tweets she posted in the early hours of today.

Reactions: 1

holymacaroni

Fatpheebs: *starts campaign about stopping the online abuse which lead her to attempt suicide*

Also fatpheebs: *fans the flames of an online dispute she knows nothing about, contributing to a massive pile-on against the accused person and endangering their mental health*
*sends her followers after black and trans individuals who are also not involved with the situation, where they spew racist and transphobic abuse at said individuals, endangering THEIR mental health*
*fosters online abuse against others*
*apologises and asks not to be sent.... online abuse*

You couldn't make it up 😂 yet more examples of why this individualistic Instagram model of learning about liberation movements through individuals with no experience or expertise - individuals with nothing more than a smartphone and an internet connection - is toxic and helps no-one learn anything.
oh my, I missed that part. What did she actually do? Does anyone have screenshots?

Riri4

For once impressed by Aja.

necause of the way Chidera has framed the discussion, any white person publicly defending Florence or at the very least not bashing her personally for what’s going on will be labelled a white supremacist. So unfortunately anyone coming out against Chidera has to be a person of colour despite the fact that doing so publicly will be more risky for them in terms of future support and paid opportunities than it would a white person. Chidera created that mess.
Aja is a Black woman.

champagnemami99

Chatty Member
@champagnemami99 I understand you weren’t familiar with the phrase which is why I politely informed you of it’s Nigerian meaning.

You then decided to double-down on the word “vulgar” even after you had received the explanation. That’s when it became racist. When you had the knowledge that this phrase is popularly used by Nigerians and still decided to call it vulgar.

You can’t really use the excuse “I’m English, I find it vulgar” - because I’m English too. I learned the phrase the same way you did - by someone explaining it. I didn’t say “ew” or “that’s vulgar”. I simply showed my respect for the culture and accepted it.

Tired of having the way we speak in Nigeria called “vulgar”. We’re just adapting a language (that we didn’t even want to speak) to fit our culture, and now it’s part of our culture. Please respect that.
I think you have wrongly assumed that I am attacking you or indeed Nigerian culture, by using a negative descriptor about a, which I now know, is a popular expression in Nigerian culture.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with expressing an opinion about something. All the posts are there, we were saying theslumflower has made reference to throats and necks consistently throughout her campaign, I used the word 'vulgar' as this is a word people use when someone makes explicit reference to bodily functions, that is MY understanding, that is my schema of thought, NOT anything to do with Nigeria and its culture.

I did not 'double-down', I simply reminded you of the simple phrase I used to remind you that I am NOT attacking culture or being racist? Yes, I agree if I used the word 'vulgar' to respond to something explicitly outlined as Nigerian, then yes that is offensive and perhaps I wouldn't have the best intention, but that is not the case.

Done fighting and attacking me yet?

Crumpet41

VIP Member
BMM were absolutely not public shaming anyone... The donation wreaks of a PR stunt to me and I would've rejected it too for that very reason.

I don't believe that CE should get monetary compensation as she claims, but given what we know about power dynamics in publishing, she absolutely could've been better supported by DB. What that support looked like isn't for me to say

But arguably she is? She could have just said that she'd donated to a select few charities and not stated which or said it was a private matter?
Does this mean she has posted about donating to a few charities then? I won’t have seen this as I stopped following her ( i think) just before all this started to unfold late last year. I assumed she had donated but then hadn’t shared this information with anyone but this had only come to light because BMM had specifically addressed it.

Crumpet41

VIP Member
Has anyone seen Aja’s stories this morning? She’s going for Chidera now and although I’m really pleased to see more vocal public voices against Chidera the personal cost that these people will pay is totally unfair. They shouldn’t have to be the one’s who have to call Chidera in but I don’t know who she will listen to now to be honest.

When my mother worked in mental health, her clients would often come up to her when we were out shopping and just blurt out their mental health problems to her. I would have to run away as quickly as I could so that my mother could speak to them with some kind of client privacy (even though we were always in a public environment). They had no filter or no concerns that this was her personal time. My mother would do her best to try and keep the conversation light and then when in work, contact them again.
Social media these days is reminding me of these times because people are just blurting out things in public that they should be doing in a safe, controlled environment. It’s dangerous and it will impact on the mental health of others.
Are they the ones she has posted an hour ago? Or have I missed some?

champagnemami99

Chatty Member
I didn’t tag you in my post.

What that sentence was referring to was instances where people are digging in too deep, beyond anything that’s actually worth critiquing. It’s been said before by far more articulate ppl in this thread that at points it feels like ppl just kicking CE for the sake of it, rather than critiquing all that’s gone on? There’s a difference between saying her book is shit (see: chick pea/pee) and saying she’s vulgar for using a Nigerian turn of phrase & then refusing to back down when a black woman is kindly taking the time to educate you.

If you lot are happy behaving like that then go for it but other contributors who want a nice thread pls be aware you can mute ppl like this on Tattle, it should be a safe space for everyone to goss if they wish x
You did not tag me but you have spoken directly about my comments? Lol contradictory much?

I did NOT say "she's vulgar for using Nigerian turn of phrase" DO NOT TWIST MY WORDS. My words are above, the posts are there. Need I explain once more? I used the word vulgar as it relates to, in my schema of thought, to bodily functions, that is ALL, nothing more.

You have said that I "refused to back down" lool, please refer to my comment (post 839) that "Yes, I agree if I used the word 'vulgar' to respond to something explicitly outlined as Nigerian, then yes it is offensive and perhaps I wouldn't have the best intention, but that is not the case"

I also literally said, "didn’t know what she meant but thanks for explaining, sorry if I sounded offensive, it was not my intention."

Last edited:

stopthescams

Chatty Member
Black people* - Cameron's family specifically benefitted from enslaved Black people. Soz but I hate seing people used BAME when they mean Black

It's also not a "trend that started in the USA" - there's actually a whole movement dedicated to seeking reparations in the UK too. The Green Party agreed to support campaigns for reparations at their party conference last year. Do people really forget that the UK played major role in slaveryry?? Like we literally have statues and memorials to slave owners all over this country reminding us of it...

Also bit presumptive to say that "if you're a British African woman you have no business demanding reparations" - you don't know people's lineage.

I say all that to say, I don't agree with CE claiming financial reparations in this case.
There is ofc other reparations that could be more suitable... reparations isn't just about money. Shame CE didn't think about that lol
This is it!

champagnemami99

Chatty Member
I think if someone from a country that colonised your country called the way you speak “vulgar”, you would find that a bit elitist and feel bad. I’m Nigerian
You brought colonisation, race and cultures into it, I didn’t.
My comment that, in my culture (raised in UK), talking about necks and throats sounds vulgar is a valid opinion.

champagnemami99

Chatty Member
When you’re quoting dictionary definitions, you’re really on the back foot. Also omitting the first part of the definition “lacking sophistication or good taste” to go for the secondary and less common usage is quite shady. You also probably saw the side bar definition of vulgarity which is “the quality of being common, coarse, or unrefined”. Come on, no need to derail when you could’ve said “thanks for the context”.

Back on the stories today as hard as ever! No cease and desist yet then it seems.
Yes, i said this AFTER being informed that this is a common expression in Nigerian culture. I pulled up the dictionary definition to show you WHY I used the word as a response to talk of throats and necks.

If you read my above post, I have said that I have not and would not use that descriptor after being told of its Nigerian influence. I re-quoted what i said afterwards, not calling it vulgar again.

champagnemami99

Chatty Member
Agreed, for new users pls know you can click a username and click mute to not see contributions you don’t want to. I don’t like the idea of tattle becoming a place for white women (like me cos I’m sure I’ll be accused of being CE lol) to shit on every part of a black woman with absolutely no reproach? Black contributors should be allowed to feel safe here too.
Are you actually serious lol?! Did you just accuse me and call me a “white woman shitting on every part of a black woman?!”. I’m in shock. Read my comments and tell me again that that is fully warranted?!

@trixytrips do you believe this to be the case?