Chidera Eggerue aka The Slumflower

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This doesn’t sound like she is telling people anything new at all. Just putting this into laymen’s terms if anything.
Whilst also leaving out a lot of the important discussion points and nuance!

Reactions: 5
I have mixed feelings about Aja. I find her quite difficult to follow and agree about the ranting being tiresome. On the positive side I follow her on patroen and the stuff she posts is informative and I think it’s worth paying for as she shares different content to what she posts on SM. I have learned quite a lot about sustainable fashion and some of the shady practices which if im honest I wouldn’t have bothered to look for. On the downside I also find her to be somewhat abrasive and a white person hater ( which is conflicting given she is married to a white man). I try to understand her rants from her perspective and I accept she probably does need to have boundaries to protect herself from racist comments.

I have thought about unfollowing her on and off since I started following her last year but tbh I carry on following her because she makes me address my own lack of boundaries which tbh I hadn’t ever considered as well how I think about topics.
I agree with a lot of what you've said. Maybe because she puts all her informative stuff behind a paywall and chooses to use her public space for venting her anger, it's difficult to see value in what she's doing. Aja is a very angry (understandable), toxic AF (not understanable) black woman. She literally attacks people and incites pile-ons. It kind of negates the "good" she's doing with holding brand's accountable for their lack of ethics when she's engaging in bejaviour that harms others.

Reactions: 6
Surely the whole point of writing a book is to add something new to the argument? Or is that just me?😂
It's a tricky one I think because on the one hand I see a lot of value in "recreating the wheel" in a different style for younger generations like teens just starting out in feminist concepts and ideas about equality.

But having said that I don't think it could be argued that Chidera's content is strictly for teens as some of it can be pretty mature content not necessarily suitable for every 14-16 year old.

Influencer books in general are designed to be bought, and sales driven, predominantly by the audience they already have and her audience probably is about as well acquainted with the concepts Chidera speaks about as she is herself so what value would they get from buying that book that they wouldn't already get from her insta and twitter?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
No words for this, I think Chidera is totally delusional. She has plenty of her own privileges?
how is someone allowed to be so anti white on the internet please?!
Someone raised a point above about why should she be in receipt of reparations when she nor her bloodline were impacted by slavery.

Doesn’t she currently have lots of white people guilt buying her book and virtue signalling her - is this not enough of a bankroll for her? She’s proving munroe’s unhand tone that this is a money drive.

I wonder if Octopus and Gleam will start pulling her book and her publications based on her problematic behaviour? Are the legally allowed to do that since they probably own the rights to it?

Reactions: 7
Someone raised a point above about why should she be in receipt of reparations when she nor her bloodline were impacted by slavery.

Doesn’t she currently have lots of white people guilt buying her book and virtue signalling her - is this not enough of a bankroll for her? She’s proving munroe’s unhand tone that this is a money drive.

I wonder if Octopus and Gleam will start pulling her book and her publications based on her problematic behaviour? Are the legally allowed to do that since they probably own the rights to it?
I imagine that (if they're smart/ well-advised) there will be a clause in her contract allowing them to pull out if she behaves unreasonably or brings them into disrepute or if there are exceptional circumstances. But I don't think it's likely, I think she's probably more profitable than ever to them right now, at least in the short term while white people are still guilt-buying her book in droves and Karening the managers of their local bookstores into stocking her work.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Am I reading this right - she's gained 42k on insta in the last 30 days?
Yes you are reading this right. So it makes sense for her to carry on calling out FG and DB doesn’t it. The stats are available on social blade (just need to type her IG name in).

Reactions: 9
Well damn! Silent support for her is strong I guess.

maybe she won’t relent until she has the larger following since before all this Florence had nearly 200k on her. Florence has lost like12k

she might have to shell out for some book reviews though on Amazon she’s lagging there

Yes you are reading this right. So it makes sense for her to carry on calling out FG and DB doesn’t it. The stats are available on social blade (just need to type her IG name in).
Lmao this just further reinforces what a PR stunt/ cash grab this is. At the expense of another woman. Nice.

Reactions: 11
Lmao this just further reinforces what a PR stunt/ cash grab this is. At the expense of another woman. Nice.
What’s worse ( to me) is that she is also capitalising on the BLM movement by saying it’s white supremacy to blame ( and I’m not saying it’s not played a part in this. It definatley has but not in the way that is being portrayed by CE).

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What’s worse ( to me) is that she is also capitalising on the BLM movement by saying it’s white supremacy to blame ( and I’m not saying it’s not played a part in this. It definatley has but not in the way that is being portrayed by CE).
She is not a voice to listen to honestly. I do not appreciate the anti-white direction she has taken, I really do not appreciate people villainising ALL white people because of history. I as a white young woman am not responsible for any injustice, so please allow me to support the movement through spreading awarenesss, donating and education. I feel no white person will be in Chideras good books.

As other people have said, Slumflower has raised some fair points (eg issues in the publishing industry) or at least points where you can see her logic even if you don’t agree with her. But now she is just saying the most outlandish tit in a way that undermines her own argument and her points get lost in the noise of her saying things that are absolutely ridiculous.

She very much seems to think of herself as being above criticism or accountability, including when it is entirely diplomatic and constructive, even when it’s said to her by other black women.

from all the stuff she shares on her stories of her DMs, the majority of the people hyping her up and feeding into her, are young white women/girls who are eagerly using this as an opportunity to show they’ve been “doing the work” on anti-racism, and can now demonstrate how not racist they are cause they sent money to Slumflower on PayPal. They now feel like they can give themselves a pat on the back for choosing not to side with the white woman in this situation, without looking at it objectively and seeing that the issue probably lies with publishers signing off on repetitive content because their ultimate interest is money and not feminism.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
She is not a voice to listen to honestly. I do not appreciate the anti-white direction she has taken, I really do not appreciate people villainising ALL white people because of history. I as a white young woman am not responsible for any injustice, so please allow me to support the movement through spreading awarenesss, donating and education. I feel no white person will be in Chideras good books.
Black or white - it seems no one is in Chideras good books at the moment.

As other people have said, Slumflower has raised some fair points (eg issues in the publishing industry) or at least points where you can see her logic even if you don’t agree with her. But now she is just saying the most outlandish tit in a way that undermines her own argument and her points get lost in the noise of her saying things that are absolutely ridiculous.

She very much seems to think of herself as being above criticism or accountability, including when it is entirely diplomatic and constructive, even when it’s said to her by other black women.

from all the stuff she shares on her stories of her DMs, the majority of the people hyping her up and feeding into her, are young white women/girls who are eagerly using this as an opportunity to show they’ve been “doing the work” on anti-racism, and can now demonstrate how not racist they are cause they sent money to Slumflower on PayPal. They now feel like they can give themselves a pat on the back for choosing not to side with the white woman in this situation, without looking at it objectively and seeing that the issue probably lies with publishers signing off on repetitive content because their ultimate interest is money and not feminism.
👏🏼👏🏼 This! I was firstly trying to listen with a critical ear not knowing a lot about the publishing industry. It took a major turn when she started asking for reparations for me.

She seems to be lashing out at all people who dare challenge her view, which I find incredibly bigoted and wrong. It was interesting to see the social blade stats - I do believe it’s the drama that’s attracted those new followers but I’m sure that will be egging her on even more.

• Heart
👏🏼👏🏼 This! I was firstly trying to listen with a critical ear not knowing a lot about the publishing industry. It took a major turn when she started asking for reparations for me.
Agreed, at first I was interested in the business with Diving Bell and her claims of plagiarism but I felt that it quickly transpired that a lot of her claims were baseless. In some respects I get that there are similarities between their content but as many have pointed out, I feel that’s down to the fact that they’re both surface level introductions to feminist ideas. I don’t agree with her claims that Florence’s design/style of her book is the same as Chidera’s because to me Florence’s book exactly aligns with the style and branding that Florence has always had. I don’t know why people act like Chidera is the first to use pink and orange? I feel like if you took all the feminist influencer type of books that have been released in the last few years then you could definitely find similarities in all of them for the same reasons?

I agree about the reparations thing so much. Initially she had a valid point about how little she makes from each book sale (which is a commonality across publishing in general) but then when she started encouraging people to send her the full price of a book to her PayPal, I found it hard to empathise with her. I don’t feel like her followers should be responsible for compensating her for the issues surrounding royalties in book sales. As a woman that’s clearly earning more than the majority of her followers, I feel like using her platform to encourage people to make donations to charities/organisations that help to fight issues of racial injustice would’ve been a far better route to go down.

Her demanding 100% of WDOYP book royalties is one of the most ridiculous things she’s ever said. lots of people have valid criticisms about Florence Given, but in spite of that, I don’t feel that she owes Slumflower a penny.

• Heart
Black or white - it seems no one is in Chideras good books at the moment.
Or ever has been. She started out being anti-black man, it grew into anti men in general and when she was sending everyone dms she was reminding the lighter skinned women that she was darker than them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.