Chidera Eggerue aka The Slumflower

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I completely get your point with this especially as her book has now been incorporated in to lots of syllabus’ but it is not common practice to reference in a popular book so I don’t think she should have criticised for not having done it. She was never writing for an academic audience and so just mentioning where she got her ideas from is pretty good/standard. I don’t think in WATTBA there were any mentions to where she got her ideas from though...
Yes, because they were all her own incredibly unique and forward thinking ideas remember!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I completely get your point with this especially as her book has now been incorporated in to lots of syllabus’ but it is not common practice to reference in a popular book so I don’t think she should have criticised for not having done it. She was never writing for an academic audience and so just mentioning where she got her ideas from is pretty good/standard. I don’t think in WATTBA there were any mentions to where she got her ideas from though...
you’re totally right...it wasn’t supposed to be an academic book. I think I’ve just had it drilled into me that when writing on a subject like this that has so much history and so many important key voices, it’s important to document and appropriately reference everything. Footnotes and the traditional Harvard referencing system would look odd, but she could have done it in an quirky, aesthetically pleasing way.
As much as I disagree with SF about the way she’s attacking FG online so relentlessly, I stand with her on the fact that she wasn’t appropriately credited. I wouldn’t be happy if my words had been used without quote marks etc. However, SF needs to STFU and pursue it LEGALLY.
As much as I love SF’s books, I’m tiring of the ‘white folk’ generalising on her Insta. Her page is becoming less and less inclusive by the minute.

Reactions: 2
It seems recently as though feminism should be so intersectional to the point that it is no longer just for women, but at the same time to reward only the self.

Reactions: 9
I’m not on anyone’s side and don’t agree with SFs behaviour as another black woman, but some of the comments on here from people that are clearly white make for an uncomfortable read

I feel a few white people are using this situation to air out negative feelings/criticisms they’ve held in, but haven’t had the space to voice due to fear of being attacked and are now using the fact that other Black people have berated SF as a hall pass to do the same and share some out of pocket statements and opinions

yes, no one is above reproach regardless of race - but it’s important to still remember your place in certain conversations and how you address things. Just wanted to leave that here

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I’m not on anyone’s side and don’t agree with SFs behaviour as another black woman, but some of the comments on here from people that are clearly white make for an uncomfortable read

I feel a few white people are using this situation to air out negative feelings/criticisms they’ve held in, but haven’t had the space to voice due to fear of being attacked and are now using the fact that other Black people have berated SF as a hall pass to do the same and share some out of pocket statements and opinions

yes, no one is above reproach regardless of race - but it’s important to still remember your place in certain conversations and how you address things. Just wanted to leave that here
Thank you so much! It’s what I was thinking and feeling but couldn’t word correctly but you are spot on

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I saw my post asking about migrant parents angered you. I genuinely didn't understand the relevance here of migrant parents being more discouraging of this career path than other parents. I guess what I was trying to get at is that it's such a new "career" that has only surfaced in the last few years, I can imagine the majority of parents would be horrified by their children choosing it as their career goal and it's not something that is exclusive to migrant parents. This is how I would feel if any of our kids decided their aim in life was to become an influencer. It's too shallow and flash in the pan, it's easily lost, you're so easily vilified (see this whole thread), it usually happens WAY too quickly, often way too young, or not at all and then they feel like a failure. I've seen the desperation of influencers clamouring to keep themselves in the limelight doing all manner of weird tit to stay relevant, I wouldn't want that for my child. I would much rather they stay in education and get a proper career.

It was immediately brought to my attention that I was wrong and migrant parents are a whole different ball game/more complex, which I am absolutely fine with being corrected on. Apologies if my comment angered you or anyone else.

Reactions: 5
I saw my post asking about migrant parents angered you. I genuinely didn't understand the relevance here of migrant parents being more discouraging of this career path than other parents. I guess what I was trying to get at is that it's such a new "career" that has only surfaced in the last few years, I can imagine the majority of parents would be horrified by their children choosing it as their career goal and it's not something that is exclusive to migrant parents. This is how I would feel if any of our kids decided their aim in life was to become an influencer. It's too shallow and flash in the pan, it's easily lost, you're so easily vilified (see this whole thread), it usually happens WAY too quickly, often way too young, or not at all and then they feel like a failure. I've seen the desperation of influencers clamouring to keep themselves in the limelight doing all manner of weird tit to stay relevant, I wouldn't want that for my child. I would much rather they stay in education and get a proper career.

It was immediately brought to my attention that I was wrong and migrant parents are a whole different ball game/more complex, which I am absolutely fine with being corrected on. Apologies if my comment angered you or anyone else.
I wish there was a disagree button as the angry button always feels too harsh. Didn’t mean to make it feel like an attack x

I’ll speak from an African perspective but a lot our parents gave up A LOT to come to the UK and build a life. Like literally left everything behind, and often alone or with their children, to join the rest of the diaspora in the UK that had done the same. They then worked very hard to assimilate often in the face of racism and discrimination. A lot of people don’t know that a lot of ethnic Uber drivers, nurses, cleaners etc actually have degrees back home and would’ve been considered “well-off” in their home countries. But they leave that behind along with their pride to give their kids a better chance at succeeding or to chase success.

So when you do your best to raise your child the best way you can and they mess about at school or want to pursue a career that has its risks, it’s scary and some parents often feel the child isn’t taking into consideration what they’ve sacrificed to secure their future.

So it just goes a lot deeper than “not understanding” what an influencer is and there’s a lot to unpack on the generational, historical and cultural differences that 1st gen black-Brits have to navigate with their parents.

Hope that makes sense

• Heart
Reactions: 27
So out of sheer curiosity, and I dug out my old copy of What A Time To Be Alone and got a copy of Women Don’t Owe You Pretty and they’re not really similar at all. I just wanted to see it for myself. First of all it actually seems like florence has made a lot more effort in terms of writing / text where as WATTBA is more readable in an hour or so. Florence has always used the Willy Wonka font and art work style so not sure what she’s ~copied~ there. I can’t comment on Chideras latest book as I never got it though. But the original book and florences are different but florence does credit Chidera as inspiration a lot.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Is there a thread discussing both sides of the argument?

Interesting to see Florence is back posting on the main feed this morning. Wonder what the tea is. People are 'welcoming' her back..

Reactions: 1
Is there a thread discussing both sides of the argument?

Interesting to see Florence is back posting on the main feed this morning. Wonder what the tea is. People are 'welcoming' her back..
Florence has a thread too if you want to talk about her there? It's a bit slower than this one for obvious reasons.

Reactions: 7
chidera has gone sooooo quiet recently 🥴🥴🥴 wondering if something legal speakin has gone on behind closed doors

Reactions: 12
wondering if something legal speakin has gone on behind closed doors
Yes! I thought the same thing. FG is openly flaunting her return - like she went on some planned retreat or sabbatical - and now she’s BAAACCCKKK - rested and ready to dance around in her pants to 70s tunes again as if nothing happened. Would she feel so bold if something legal had not happened behind the scenes? Or is she just like duck it - the world needs my Farrah Fawcett hair/wicker chair pout pose again and I do not care about any back talk? SF has been quiet for around 24 hours but who knows if she’s just re-loading that Instagram stories ammo? 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Interesting! Florence is back and her story an hour ago shows her opening her book and pointing out how one of her illustrations looks like her today. Seems an interesting coincidence that she’s just back and leafing through the book is one of the first stories she’s done. Makes me think a cease and desist has finally come through?

Reactions: 10
Get your screenshotssssssss

Feel like a little bit of shade is being thrown with the focus on book pages about life imitating art (like she's saying Chidera based her hairstyle on Florence's drawing and not the other way around, as Chidera had accused) and women not needing to tear each other down.

Positive comments from some of the other influencers mentioned in this thread, too.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m not even the biggest Florence fan but this is making me die 😂😂
Chidera has been VERY quiet - has there been a cease and desist/harassment order placed

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I’m not even the biggest Florence fan but this is making me die 😂😂
Chidera has been VERY quiet - has there been a cease and desist/harassment order placed
It seems weird that Chidera is now only posting screen shots of paypal donations and supportive DMs, no commentary added.
Interesting 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I gave up with the #keepingupwithchideraandflorence +extras drama.

Every time I blinked something happened. As you’ve all said very interesting she’s gone quiet!

It’s only a matter of time till her stories are popping off again 💥 Let’s get our popcorn ready folks 🍿

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.