Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Marylou

VIP Member
I hit my target of 80/80 on Friday night and definitely didn't get fireworks or confetti. Decided to give them to myself anyway lol 😆 🎊 👏 💐 🥳

I posted on the wrong book thread yesterday but wanted to share my achievement with fellow book lovers.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Smca53

VIP Member
.. and probably more 99p deals and lying to ourselves about not buying any more books 🙂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Has anyone read the Beartown series? I've just started the third one - The Winners. It's been a long time since I've read the other two, but loved them. I'm hoping to get out of my reading slump. I haven't really loved a book in a long time & have read far less books than usual this year.
Did you know smoke signals appear outside my house whenever someone mentions Beartown on this thread. Fun fact.

Same thing happens with Shuggie Bain.

However yes absolutely adored Beartown, could talk about it for days. I found Us Against You arguably better than Beartown.

I have my copy of The Winners but havent started it yet. Im v apprehensive and nervous. I dont want to ruin what is essentially one of my favourite books ever written.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16

queenamber

VIP Member
I've decided to go on a book buying ban for 2023 and I may have to mute this thread 😥🤣

Got so many amazing books to come next year but I need to reign it in. I have about 120 unread physical books. And probably the same on my Kindle.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16

LittleBluebird

VIP Member
Hi all! I’m back, kind of. I’m not reading/finishing physical books since it’s very difficult to get through. I read about 3 pages at a time, but im listening to a lot of audio books and will keep doing so. They help pass the time dying breastfeeding and this solo newborn stage thing.

im currently on Billy Summers, about halfway.
So far I’ve listened to:
The Plot ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Small town, big magic ⭐
and then there were none ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The lamplighters ⭐⭐⭐
Vladimir ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Before the coffee gets cold ⭐⭐⭐
The last thing he told me ⭐⭐
the institute ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Being sucked into the Colleen Hoover train - are her books as good as people seem to think? 🖤
I think this is subjective in how you look at it.

She sold more books than the Bible last year (IIRC from an article I saw) so if that is encouraging more people to read then I cannot fault it.

Her books arent always the best for my tastes, Ugly Love has the horrific line about a babys big balls 🥴 however Verity is good and I also enjoyed Regretting You.

I always say in this thread nothing good can come from book snobbery, if you dont like it, dont read it. I know there are a lot of opinions floating around about #Booktok but I saw something that said more books are being bought as a result of it and how amazing is that?

Carapop

VIP Member
I have just finished this and I cannot articulate how much I loved it. Absolutely stunning a story and beautifully written and with such incredibly crafted characters I’m entirely bereft it’s over.
1670006267675.jpeg

• Heart

Sarah123456789

Chatty Member
Well my boyf has put up my bookcase today and I have filled it with my TBR piles and I could not be happier! I keep looking at it 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 14

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Thats fair 😁 not everyone likes the same thing. The style of writing is very strange and not much happens.

I can imagine plot driven readers would find it useless.
True! And this is the only thread where we can disagree with each other and not have 49 pages of attack!

I am reading The Nothing Man and am really enjoying it, it is a Prime Reading book.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I decided to read my unread books before getting any new ones. So that's Pachinko, The Goldfinch and a non-fiction book about Palestine. The first two are long so it should take a while.
I would probably die before I could manage this 🥲

However this is one of my irrational fears when picking a new book. What about all the books I'll never read when I die.

• Haha

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I am on a book buying ban. I received 23 books from my Instagram birthday book club, 13 books from my husband and 31 from extended family. We exchange books instead of greetings cards, Jeff Bezoes selling some books for £4ish, by the time you are paid for a card and a stamp that is £4.

Anyway, book buying ban. 🫣

• Wow
  • Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Shuggie Bain is 99p. I repeat Shuggie Bain is 99p.

99p deals

School for Good Mothers
The Golden Couple
The Flatshare
Ready Player One
An American Marriage
The Snowman
The Paris Apartment

If you like Romance. Flock the first in the Ravenhood series is 99p aswell.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
I haven’t posted on this group before but I’ve read every post since lockdown and enjoyed all your recommendations! So thank you for allowing me to silently follow :) I’m lucky enough to be on a very long awaited holiday for half term (after so many lockdown cancellations )with my family at the moment and I can’t for the life of me find a book I can get into! I’ve tried 3 books over the past 3 days and nothing is sticking. I need it to be an audio book, so I can be sitting on the sun lounger and still keeping an eye on the kids in the swimming pool. I generally sit with one airpod in one ear, the other free listening and keeping guard! Can anyone help with a good book recommendation? I love psychological thriller type books, or murder mystery. I just finished the Anna Lou-Weatherly series (which is on audible plus) and I enjoyed KL Slater, both authors I really enjoyed. Thank you so much and thank you again to the avid posters who recommended so many books, I have enjoyed so many of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 13