Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

vanilla cupcakes

VIP Member
1473FF5A-1D6E-4FC0-ACB1-643F0A6B8044.jpeg

I’ve had some amazing reads this month! Asking For It especially has been one I’ve thought about a lot since finishing. I’d recommend any of these! (I’m including A Little Life because I’m 93% through and not letting it take up half my month and not be included🤣 - hoping to finish it tonight)

Reactions: 10

Marylou

VIP Member
I’ve hit a bit of a slump with my reading this month. In September I was insatiable and got through 12 books but this month I’ve only managed 2 with another 2 false starts (read about 10% and then thought I wasn’t in the mood for that book at that time).

My highlights for September were;
The Curfew - T.M Logan 5/5
Beartown - Fredrik Backman 5/5
Only the Stains Remain - Ross Jeffrey 5/5

I’m now stuck at a point where I don’t know what I want to read. This week I’ve tried Dry Hard by Nick Spalding (who I usually love) and The Quarry Girls by Jess Lourey but neither have hit the spot. I’ll return to both once I’m out of this funk but for now I have zero idea what I want to read. Here is a selection of my TBR but if anyone wants to recommend Any books that will grip me in from page 1 and get me back to reading I’d really appreciate it!
View attachment 1657164
Layla is enough to put you off reading forever so if you're in a slump I'd avoid.

• Haha
  • Wow

Sarah123456789

Chatty Member
I’ve been to the library today ( I love the library!) and picked up Hostage by Clare MacKintosh - so far, so good! Got a Beth O’Leary one, she wrote Flat Share which I enjoyed so 🤞 and ordered The Herd after hearing about it here!

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
I thought The Stroke of Winter sounded good so got that one, not sure if I want a second but the selection this month seems better than usual? Can't wait to not read this and delete it in a year's time.

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
On Bookstagram chat, I've found it seems to be declining in favour of Book Tok. And the idea of posting content on Book Tok puts me off doing anything really. I tried having a go at Bookstagram (not influencer status mind) but the amount of work involved was a right PITA. I genuinely think you need to have a great deal of free time on your hands to make a go of it.
I would agree. Very aesthetic and taking good shots and the time to constantly engage with your page, other pages.

It makes me sad Booktok is more popular than Bookstagram because I feel there is less discussion with tik tok about the actual books and stories themselves.

lokp0009

VIP Member
Haven’t posted for a wee while but what I’ve read since I did

1. Me and White Supremacy - found this quite an uncomfortable read but I suppose it’s supposed to be that way and got me thinking a lot

2. The Last Thing I Remember by Deborah Bee - Meh. 2 stars. Not written very well and the plot was a bit thin. Unlikeable characters.

3. Postcards at Christmas - 2 stars only because it’s a short and there wasn’t enough to get to know the characters.

4. The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot - loved this book. 4 stars. Was wonderfully written, likeable characters, emotional.

5. The Little Wedding Shop by the Sea - one where I’m trying to get through my KU books. 3 stars. Nothing special, basic and predictable plot, but I did enjoy it.

6. The Paper Palace - this was a book club read. Didn’t love it. No likeable characters and the timeline was all over the place. That bloody ending too!

7. Impostor by LJ Ross - bit torn over this one. I read it in one sitting as I was desperate to know the outcome but some of it felt a bit rushed and there were a few plot holes that weren’t tied up.

Think the only one I would recommend is The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot.

My next KU read is Making Faces by Amy Harmon, hoping it’s a good one!

Elle

VIP Member
I'm reading Circe. Nearly finished now. Absolutely love it. What a brilliant read. Would highly recommend if you're looking for something a bit different but beautifully written.

• Heart

Carapop

VIP Member
Depressed and spendy is the most dangerous combination for any bank balance! When I most need a cuddle, I am most likely to impulse buy. It’s self reliance gone awry. @Caffeine Fiend sending warmth your way

cherrymoon

Chatty Member
I’ve just finished reading The Ex Hex, rated it 3.5 stars. I would’ve given it the full 5 stars had it not been for the predictable romance plot and some sentences running too long. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. It was heartwarming and comical in places and an easy read.

Elle

VIP Member
IMHO there are some great 99p deals this month BUT I am not letting myself buy anymore books until I actually read some of the many, many unread books on my Kindle and shelf.

For those who are interested and might want to purchase, these are the books that are on my TBR that I WOULD have bought for 99p this month....God, I'm so tempted:

-The Love Hypothesis
-Clap When you Land
-Bunny
-Every Summer After (wasn't on my TBR but looks really good and now is)
-Snowflake

And one for the Fredrik Backman lovers: Us Against You is 99p

Please let me know if you've already read any of these or you're buying them now so I can live vicariously through you.

rachelpixiedust

I'm already purusing the Works website, I have Covid and feeling rancid so it's feet up and looking at books I don't need!

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Always thankful for this thread. I’ve read some great reads that have been recommended here

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I'm reading Trespasses but it's going so slowly, does it get more interesting in the second half? 😅 Struggling with the punctuation and don't really like the characters. The vibe is very depressing to me
Hmm Id say its a slow burn overall. It is depressing 😅 all my 5 star books are very depressing.

• Haha
  • Heart

ScoutFinch

I’ve gone for The Stroke of Winter and The Quarry Girls for first reads.

I’m also really enjoying making the little monthly wrap up pictures 😅 As I usually read on my kindle I never really notice the covers on my books but I am now. I’m only 5 books away from hitting my annual goal of 100!
000F974A-E323-4A6F-9894-1B6345DC317E.jpeg

Reactions: 8

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Im hyped up that people are reading Beartown. I could talk about it for days wont be a shock to those here, I'm obsessed.

I read the first 30% and was absolutely confused. I didnt get the hype, it was boring and just going nowhere then BANG.

I have really grown to love Backmans style of writing. He expertly creates characters and executes them wonderfully.

It was this time a year ago I read it for the first time.

• Heart
Reactions: 8