Books #12 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just started reading Oh William! and I didn't realise it was the third in a trilogy. Is it ok as a standalone (as I'm enjoying it) or should I go back and read the first two books?

Reactions: 2
I keep saying this. I could give up my day job..

If I had enough time Id like to start a Bookstagram but I barely have time to do what needs doing. Nevermind additional things.

Also does anyone know if any of the supermarkets have Tomorrow, and Tomorrow and Tomorrow in?

I want it, I dont usually like hardbacks but its beautiful so I want it and its been on my list a while.
I bought tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow in Waterstones, I can’t imagine it being in a supermarket tbh. It’s really good so far but I’ve had to pause it as reading To Paradise by Hanya Yanagihara from the library and it’s 700 pages 🥲

Reactions: 1
I've just started reading Oh William! and I didn't realise it was the third in a trilogy. Is it ok as a standalone (as I'm enjoying it) or should I go back and read the first two books?
You can read it as a standalone book. I'd recommended reading the other two too and read them in order, if you do. She's a great writer.

• Heart
You can read it as a standalone book. I'd recommended reading the other two too and read them in order, if you do. She's a great writer.
Yup, works on its own and lots of cross references throughout all books between each. I read the first three in sequence and then tried a totally different book and deeply resented it for not having Lucy Barton in it, even though it wasn’t even written by Strout 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Just finished first day of spring. Not something I’d typically pick up but saw it recommended a few times here. Loved it. Was very impressed.

On Bookstagram chat, I've found it seems to be declining in favour of Book Tok. And the idea of posting content on Book Tok puts me off doing anything really. I tried having a go at Bookstagram (not influencer status mind) but the amount of work involved was a right PITA. I genuinely think you need to have a great deal of free time on your hands to make a go of it.

Reactions: 6
On Bookstagram chat, I've found it seems to be declining in favour of Book Tok. And the idea of posting content on Book Tok puts me off doing anything really. I tried having a go at Bookstagram (not influencer status mind) but the amount of work involved was a right PITA. I genuinely think you need to have a great deal of free time on your hands to make a go of it.
I would agree. Very aesthetic and taking good shots and the time to constantly engage with your page, other pages.

It makes me sad Booktok is more popular than Bookstagram because I feel there is less discussion with tik tok about the actual books and stories themselves.

Reactions: 9
It makes me sad Booktok is more popular than Bookstagram because I feel there is less discussion with tik tok about the actual books and stories themselves.
Yes I would agree there. Most Book Tok accounts that pop up for me are mainly people talking about what happens in the book OR one sentence reviews (which I prefer sometimes to be honest!). There also seems to be more of a cancel culture on BookTok. I am all for critiquing problematic books, their contents and their authors, but there's little room for debate or dialogue on the old clock face app. Things get blown out of proportion*very quickly* there (which isn't just restricted to BookTok).

Reactions: 4
I prefer Instagram as a platform anyway. I've never liked TikTok. It's the first social media site to make me feel old. 😂 Suppose I just prefer in-depth reviews to short videos.

Reactions: 8
Has anyone read The Dutch House? Finished it today and while it was very readable, I thought it was a little overhyped.

Just finished first day of spring. Not something I’d typically pick up but saw it recommended a few times here. Loved it. Was very impressed.
One of the best books I’ve read this year and definitely in my top 5. I couldn’t stop thinking about it for weeks. I couldn’t pick up another book until I’d moved on mentally

• Heart
Has anyone read The Dutch House? Finished it today and while it was very readable, I thought it was a little overhyped.
read it last year and HATED IT!! Never understood why it was so hyped? all that angst and drama over a house! the main character was a whiney witch and I hated him more with each passing page 🤣

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
read it last year and HATED IT!! Never understood why it was so hyped? all that angst and drama over a house! the main character was a whiney witch and I hated him more with each passing page 🤣
this was my feeling too 🤣

i did think it was beautifully written and very readable but, gosh, i wanted to lean in and give both him and sister a shake.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
this was my feeling too 🤣

i did think it was beautifully written and very readable but, gosh, i wanted to lean in and give both him and sister a shake.
Oh I’m so glad I’m not the only one! It’s quite a long book but I felt like nothing really happened over the course of 300+ pages? Some characters were totally unnecessary and I did not understand the plot line about their mother at all. I guess it’s just not my cup of tea, I like my books with all the drama and suffering! I read Patchett’s Truth and Beauty earlier this year and loved it, funny how different this novel is.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Hi, hello, new to this thread *waves*

So I've just finished Bunny by Mona Awad and I can't decide if I loved it or hated it! I feel compelled to talk to somebody about this book but not entirely sure what to say 🤣 anyone else read it?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Oh I’m so glad I’m not the only one! It’s quite a long book but I felt like nothing really happened over the course of 300+ pages? Some characters were totally unnecessary and I did not understand the plot line about their mother at all. I guess it’s just not my cup of tea, I like my books with all the drama and suffering! I read Patchett’s Truth and Beauty earlier this year and loved it, funny how different this novel is.
I’ve read a few Ann Patchett books and The Dutch House was probably my least favourite. She definitely writes more character driven books than big exciting plots, which is fine unless you really don’t like the characters! Bel Canto is a much better book than The Dutch House IMO. I’ve also just this week finished Commonwealth which was slow to start (could just have been me being too busy to give it enough time) but really enjoyable by the end.

• Heart
Well my boyf has put up my bookcase today and I have filled it with my TBR piles and I could not be happier! I keep looking at it 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Finished Am I Guilty? by Jackie Kabler last night (it’s on Kindle Unlimited), really enjoyed it, raced through it and even though the ending was one I’d considered, there were so many possibilities that it wasn’t like I’d guessed the obvious ending.

It was however about a baby that dies after being left in a car on a really hot day, and the book I read before that was The Herd by Emily Edwards (the Tattle book club book), which is about the anti-vax movement and focuses on the effect on vulnerable kids, so I think I need something next that’s not about children 🤦‍♀️
I loved this book! It was so gripping!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.