Books #12 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
PSA: Vladimir is 99p today if anyone wants to purchase. I bought Nightcrawling yesterday, thanks for the rec.

Actually feeling a bit overwhelmed by how many books are on my Kindle now. You would think that would make me stop buying them for a while...apparently not.
Thank you for this PSA - have just bought Vladimir 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm reading at the moment. I'm about 30% through and very underwhelmed.

The blurb sounded amazing and booktok have been raving about it. But I am yet to see the greatness.
Ditto! I kept slogging through it hoping to like it more than I did.

the teagirl of hummingbird lane really gripped me at the beginning however i’m finding it hard to stay gripped into, and I know its kind of in the title but there is a lot of pointless information about tea. 60% of what i have read is just tea tea tea.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Well I finished Uprooted by Naomi Novik. It kept me interested the whole way through and it's long (400+ pages). Not sure I liked it as much as The Bear and the Nightingale, but if you enjoyed one book I imagine you'd like the other. It has an Eastern European/Russian setting (I think it's meant to be Poland - everything sounded Russian to me lol), a similar fairytale plot, dark magical woods, quite creepy.

Think I need something more down to earth for my next read. It was giving me weird dreams. Last night I had one where pigeons filled the house and I had to lock the bedroom door to keep the pigeons out. Brrr...no more of those, thanks! 😅

Reactions: 1
How are you finding it so far?
I am loving it. Best of the 3 is my opinion so far. I'm at chapter 52
It's very similar to Beartown with a slow build up, few new characters who are a good addition and good drip feeding of what's to come 💔

Worth the wait!

• Heart
Has anyone read Vladimir? I almost purchased but stopped myself. I’d be easily influenced!
Yes! I think I gave it 4 stars but would move it down to 3 after a week or so. I really enjoyed it & would recommend it.

ETA: im 1/3 of the way through fairy tale by Stephen king and finding it a bit of a slog. Nothing is happening and what is happening isn’t really gripping me. Anyone here read it?

Gawd-knows-how-many number of threads ago I said I was reading Donna Tartt's The Secret History ... well I finally finished it 😅

I really didn't get on with it. I found it tedious. It read like a vanity project. The characters were insufferable. I kept thinking to myself that A Little Life is far superior to TSH. Sorry to all those TSH lovers.

I am, however, reading The Goldfinch and enjoying it very much.

My other recent reads were:
Francis Quinn's The Smallest Man which I loved.
Cilka's Journey I had to DNF.
56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard I thought was an ok read.
The Palace Papers by Tina Brown I've been enjoying royal family books this year.

Reactions: 5
I am loving it. Best of the 3 is my opinion so far. I'm at chapter 52
It's very similar to Beartown with a slow build up, few new characters who are a good addition and good drip feeding of what's to come 💔

Worth the wait!
I'm at chapter 42 and enjoying it too, though I am impatient for some of the original characters to appear more but also sense I'm going to be in tears by the end! I was a bit irritated when I first realised new characters had been added but am enjoying their stories so happy that I was wrong about that!

Love Bobo and Ana the most so far.

@Caffeine Fiend did you start it yet or saving it? Interested to hear how you get on with it too :giggle:

Last edited:
  • Heart
Gawd-knows-how-many number of threads ago I said I was reading Donna Tartt's The Secret History ... well I finally finished it 😅

I really didn't get on with it. I found it tedious. It read like a vanity project. The characters were insufferable. I kept thinking to myself that A Little Life is far superior to TSH. Sorry to all those TSH lovers.

I am, however, reading The Goldfinch and enjoying it very much.

My other recent reads were:
Francis Quinn's The Smallest Man which I loved.
Cilka's Journey I had to DNF.
56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard I thought was an ok read.
The Palace Papers by Tina Brown I've been enjoying royal family books this year.
I didn’t hate The Secret History but it was another one of those for me that I’d seen so much hype about over the years that it was never going to live up to expectations! I read The Goldfinch quite a few years ago now but definitely remember enjoying it more than TSH.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm at chapter 42 and enjoying it too, though I am impatient for some of the original characters to appear more but also sense I'm going to be in tears by the end! I was a bit irritated when I first realised new characters had been added but am enjoying their stories so happy that I was wrong about that!

@Caffeine Fiend did you start it yet or saving it? Interested to hear how you get on with it too :giggle:
i hugely preferred the goldfinch to the secret history - the goldfinch is one of my favourite books ever.

i’ve owned bear town for quite some time (as a big ice hockey fan it was recommended to me) - this thread is inspiring me to bump it up my reading list.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I havent no. Im off work for a week in a few weeks. I think I'll start it then.

i hugely preferred the goldfinch to the secret history - the goldfinch is one of my favourite books ever.

i’ve owned bear town for quite some time (as a big ice hockey fan it was recommended to me) - this thread is inspiring me to bump it up my reading list.
You will love it. I just know you will. 🥺

• Heart
I’m currently reading Beartown on holiday. I’m up to chapter 20. It’s definitely a building up book, but it’s really good. I’m really enjoying the hockey talk, very cleverly intertwined I feel.

• Heart
In the middle of a reading slump. Everything I pick up just isn't keeping me interested and so I DNF them. I always feel guilty or have FOMO when I DNF although I'm trying to keep the mindset that reading is fun for me so why waste time on a book that I'm not enjoying? Currently reading True Tales of The Supernatural in the UK by Tina Vantyler. It was on KU. Enjoying it so far, I read the first one too. They're short ghost stories so they're keeping my attention, which is a good sign! Really want to start a book and be unable to put it down.

Reactions: 6
Im hyped up that people are reading Beartown. I could talk about it for days wont be a shock to those here, I'm obsessed.

I read the first 30% and was absolutely confused. I didnt get the hype, it was boring and just going nowhere then BANG.

I have really grown to love Backmans style of writing. He expertly creates characters and executes them wonderfully.

It was this time a year ago I read it for the first time.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Thats fair 😁 not everyone likes the same thing. The style of writing is very strange and not much happens.

I can imagine plot driven readers would find it useless.
True! And this is the only thread where we can disagree with each other and not have 49 pages of attack!

I am reading The Nothing Man and am really enjoying it, it is a Prime Reading book.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.