Books #12 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just finished listening to The Last Housewife by Ashley Winstead. This book was wild! (not in a good way) The depiction of violence against women was appalling. However, if you’re into dark books about sex cults, it might be worth your time.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
I've just finished Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel. I always enjoy reading her books so I am glad this one did not let me down. I'm going to have a look for my next read later. I seem to be getting back into my reading craze. To think last year I read 70 books but this year has only been 16 so far. I hope I can get back into it for my own sanity.

Reactions: 5
I have gone through and either read all the recently recommended books or they just didn't interest me, but I am back in hospital with only my Kindle for company. Does anyone have any other suggestions for recentish books before I lose my mind to boredom? I will read anything but no romance or sci fi.
Sorry to hear that you're back in hospital, really hope you're recovery will be swift and you're home soon. Have you read any of Karen Swan's books? She tells a great story, bit of a love interest in every book but I don't consider them romance by any means. I think a good detective series would certainly help with boredom. Carla Kovach, Carol Wyer and D.S. Butler are firm favourites of mine, mind you I wasn't impressed with D.S. Butler's Detective Jack Mc something or other. I struggled through the first one and didn't even consider downloading the rest.

Nora Roberts also has trilogies or independent books, sometimes she tends to over do the romance though.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve only just found this thread! Love a good read! I’ve just been away and couldn’t put down Clare Macintosh’s The Last Party. Love anything by her. But I also devoured The Paper Palace by Mirander Cowely Heller. So so good!

Reactions: 8
I’ve only just found this thread! Love a good read! I’ve just been away and couldn’t put down Clare Macintosh’s The Last Party. Love anything by her. But I also devoured The Paper Palace by Mirander Cowely Heller. So so good!
We read The Paper Palace for our book club a few months ago (different thread) but you should join in!

Reactions: 2
We read The Paper Palace for our book club a few months ago (different thread) but you should join in!
Ooh yes! What’s the thread called?

Haven’t posted for a wee while but what I’ve read since I did

1. Me and White Supremacy - found this quite an uncomfortable read but I suppose it’s supposed to be that way and got me thinking a lot

2. The Last Thing I Remember by Deborah Bee - Meh. 2 stars. Not written very well and the plot was a bit thin. Unlikeable characters.

3. Postcards at Christmas - 2 stars only because it’s a short and there wasn’t enough to get to know the characters.

4. The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot - loved this book. 4 stars. Was wonderfully written, likeable characters, emotional.

5. The Little Wedding Shop by the Sea - one where I’m trying to get through my KU books. 3 stars. Nothing special, basic and predictable plot, but I did enjoy it.

6. The Paper Palace - this was a book club read. Didn’t love it. No likeable characters and the timeline was all over the place. That bloody ending too!

7. Impostor by LJ Ross - bit torn over this one. I read it in one sitting as I was desperate to know the outcome but some of it felt a bit rushed and there were a few plot holes that weren’t tied up.

Think the only one I would recommend is The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot.

My next KU read is Making Faces by Amy Harmon, hoping it’s a good one!
I loved Lenni and Margot too!

Reactions: 1
Reactions: 4
Ooh so the paper palace wasn’t popular 😂 I really liked it but do agree the ending was weird!!
Next on my (toppling!) pile is Lessons in Chemisty, any thoughts?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Ooh so the paper palace wasn’t popular 😂 I really liked it but do agree the ending was weird!!
Lessons in chemistry was another tattle book club pick 😊

Ooooh this has reminded me to check out the Book Club thread. Has a new book been nominated for November?

loved lessons in chemistry - one of my favourite reads of the year so far 💙 and i loved the paper palace until the final ten pages!

• Heart
Started Luckiest Girl Alive yesterday afternoon, stayed up until i finished it. I thought it was a great read.

Trigger warning though, as i think its not for everyone

loved lessons in chemistry - one of my favourite reads of the year so far 💙 and i loved the paper palace until the final ten pages!
Yes same!! I couldn’t put it down but ending was disappointing. Ooh I’ll look forward to LIC then. Remembered I was 3/4 way through another I need to finish - can’t even think of title, something similar to Sliding Doors showing how different decisions made change the course of your life? It’s ok…!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.