Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sitkx

VIP Member
Why is it always the privileged influencers that never worked a day in their life that post stuff like this? The holier than thou “Oh y’all hate Monday’s? Well I happen to like them 😌”. Yeah, that’s cause you never not once had to start a 5 day work week on a Monday, doll. Your Monday consists of getting a manicure and reading for 10 hours.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50

Smca53

VIP Member
Looks like the supposed friend of Jess’ close uni friend that posted was a fake after all - what possesses people to do that?! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

hannah123

VIP Member
In fairness to her about being happy, since leaving uni her auntie passed away with cancer, her father and step family moved to America and her mother was diagnosed with cancer, on top of everyone else’s unhappiness/anxiety of being in lockdown for most of the year. If we’re going to say she’s young to have a baby, I imagine that’s a lot for a young person to deal with.

Promise I have criticised her in the past in this thread, just never understood the argument she should go get a job, because most jobs are bloody awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

palmer

Chatty Member
This is frustrating. I am 100% not choosing to miss the point. 100% not. Can you please explain the key point that you think I am missing in a few sentences?
I'm personally of the opinion that when one comes across a situation which, in their view, reflects a fundamental failure in the way our society works, they should raise it and talk about it rather than choose to "switch off" and ignore under the pretext that "we live in a capitalist society and that's not about to change so just accept it and don't complain." In my view, the situation that we are describing here does reflect a deep failure. The fact that people like Jess are able to sit in their multi-million pound home week after week, month after month, and put in zero work, while others --literally in the same city-- are killing themselves at work and still struggling to make ends meet...IS NOT okay and should not be accepted as a fatality. Economic inequality is a serious issue and it is rising, including in London where Jess lives. It's become increasingly obvious now given the pandemic/recession we're currently going through. The fact that people make money (a disgusting amount of it) off of plastering this obscene lifestyle online for people to watch is frankly not a trivial thing and I believe we should all ask ourselves what it means, what it reflects, the consequences it could have, etc. It is harmful whether you personally feel the effect of it or not. Just because a 'job' exists doesn't make it morally right and doesn't mean we shouldn't question or even criticize the value it adds to society. Just like many people criticize finance jobs for other reasons (for example).

You ask, "Why don’t people choose to compare themselves to those who are worse off?" -- to me the answer is simple. If we were to ignore people who are better off and instead systematically compare ourselves to people who are 'worse off,' that would lead us to accept less-than-ideal conditions and never strive for the improvement of our own conditions. I personally believe in leveling upwards rather than leveling downwards. Isn't the ultimate goal that we improve our societies overtime, that everyone's living conditions improve? If you just keep telling yourself "yeah my situation is shitty but people in other countries have it even worse, so I'm not going to complain about any of the things I'm going through" then how is that sort of mentality going to help improve the situation of generations after you who will be going through similar issues? That's a very narrow way to look at things and actually doesn't help anything or anyone long term. Saying "that's just life" doesn't help anybody. Well, yeah, it helps the people who are already in extremely privileged positions, people like Jess!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

getawaywithit

VIP Member
She and her boyfriend haven’t even moved out of her parents house lol. If this were a girl who was not very rich and white and pretty the comments everywhere would be far more judgmental and scathing.

Reactions: 39

Imah

Chatty Member
In my head Jess is still only about 17/18 so her having a baby is just odd to me lol.

Happy for her though! Just never really a direction I believe she’d take

Reactions: 37

consumerism makes u free

But most people
I hope your careers will pick up like mine has and that you will be able to get your foot between the door (but who knows what the economy does?), and that you will get to a point where you realise that we are better off than them. It’s nice to not have to worry about money. But it’s also nice to have to earn your own money.
I realize you didnt intend it poorly but that is some patronizing stuff, that is borderline spiritual bypassing, and neglects the reality of the world for many of us. Hard work doesn't ensure 'happiness' anymore than being born into wealth does. And it doesnt ensure financial security obviously. But being born into wealth does (generally) ensure financial security and financial insecurity is arguably the number one killer in the world. Its not just 'nice' not to have to worry about money, its almost everything. And if someone doesnt know that or believe that, its because theyve never really had to worry.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Don't get me wrong, I used to love Jess' content. However, I feel like over the past few years I've gradually been falling out of love with influencer content in general.

(Some background on myself to make this make sense) so being a post grad in London, struggling to find that inital grad job and working in a restaurant in the interim while struggling to pay extortionate London rent prices - it does gall seeing someone you follow receive numerous designer items for free and go on many expensive holidays etc.

Obviously this is incredibly whiny and self pitying, everyone has their own struggles and there are obviously people out there who have much worse struggles to contend with. And obviously, none of this is directly Jess' or any other influencers 'fault.' They get free stuff as PR.

I use influencer content as a kind of escape and a way to wind down after my day. I've been watching influencers since I was a teenager, before the term 'Influencer' was even a thing. Watching vloggers used to feel warm and familiar, these were people like me, who I could relate to. However my feeling towards influencer content has been changing recently as I've realised that it's become increasingly more sinister over the years. There seems to be such a disparity of wealth between myself and the people I used to be able to relate to and it's chilling to realise that what I used to see as some lighthearted entertainment has become more about trying to sell me a lifestyle which seems so unattainable instead.

Again, I understand this is an incredibly cynical viewpoint to take. Influencer marketing exists for a reason and understandably its up to us to self regulate if we're uncomfortable with the content we're consuming.

However. The thing that got to me the most about Jess' videos recently (and the reason I'm even on here in the first place) is one of her recent Vlogtober videos (from Oct 21st). It begins with her having a 'planning day' which she stops at quarter past 4 to read a book. She mentions going out to take a picture, but then puts it off because she's 'not feeling inspired.' The next day she starts off by saying 'nothing urgent needs to happen' so she spent the morning finishing her book. She then goes out to buy an expensive table. The next day she's out at Kew gardens. The next day is Thursday and she's in bed talking about how she wants to do a botany course?? Then the next day arrives. It's Friday - she's done NO work???? All week. Initially I had to turn the video off at this point it enraged me so much.

I don't usually feel so strongly about stuff like this but boy this video REALLY got to me. This girl OWNS a house in London. She bought a HOUSE. Surely to earn that kind of money to be able to do that you'd need to work pretty hard right??? Apparently not.

I understand her work might have seen a bit of a lapse recently due to Covid but still. Again, I understand she's going through personal family struggles as well for which I completely sympathise. But there hasn't been a single ounce of work completed so far from what I can see.

It's so frustrating for those watching, doing their 9-5 who would LOVE for the chance to go out to Kew gardens in the middle of the day, or have a nap, or read a book whenever they feel like it. But oh yeah. That's not how having a job works is it.

Back to the video, so it's Friday and Jess happily announces 'yesterday I spent most of the day reading' she at least has the self awareness to do a guilty chuckle at the end of the sentence. So what's she up to today I hear you ask? 'Zak and I are going to head into John Lewis.' Right. She then comes home to complain about how John Lewis was 'very uninspiring' 😅ffs.

She then goes off on a tangent about how lazy and unproductive her week has been. 'I feel like there's so much I could have got done which I didn't do. But it's Friday, so I'm not going to start doing anything now.' Fantastic. Not sure my boss would buy it if I tried to tell her that to be honest.

She then goes on to talk about how these weeks happen and she's trying to be gentle and easy on herself. And I get that. I really do. But it just doesn't seem like she's attempted to do anything whatsoever. How can you literally not work for a whole week??

She then goes on to say that she's going to try and give herself a kick up the ass next week and to 'foster some inspiration.' Which sounds like a good idea.

I hate how bitter this is coming across but it's just so difficult. I would LOVE to have the job she has. It's just so insulting to see someone in her incredibly privileged position who does not seem to acknowledge it in the slightest.

Idk, this has been a long rant. Let me know your thoughts pls.

• Heart
Reactions: 35

beanpie

Urgh.

She lives of her parents money, got the best education money could buy, supported through uni, then a masters, was taken on amazing educatonial holidays and repays that investment by doing sweet fa all day - she is a lazy parasite leeching off others hard work.

She gives nothing back to society or to her viewers and will continue to be a leech as long as she can, she should be working as an able bodied adult, contributing to society in some way. A job that might not be for monetary gains but to help her community or to help the arts that she claims to love.
Can you really not see that?
I find her lazy attitude absolutely disgusting, her parents must be shocked and saddened that all of their time and all of their hard work to educate her has led to this apathy. How can you not follow that train if thought and only come back with you must be jEaLoUs.
Seriously?
Disguised and disappointed - yes. This woman had a lot of potential and so many privileges and opportunities not available to the majority and chooses to rot away in a bathtub with a paperback.

Amelia liana also has filthy rich parents but churns out the cheesy cheery content on a fairly regular basis, even does the odd bit of charity work to give back. Jess could have done a podcast om books, apparently a passion of hers, but instead plops for half arsed book reviews heavily comprised of stealing other people's reviews off goodreads. Just like stealing a degree by paying others to write essays for you.
Do the work yourself.

I do know a little of AU healthcare, not as much as you will living there but it is veryyyyy different to UK healthcare, especially now. Individuals in the UK simply cannot choose any health treatment here, maybe in theory but the reality is different. Advantages of paying through the nose for a private birth is seeing the same consultant throughout and having them (hopefully) at the c section. They will helpfully guide you to a c section, it's more convenient for them as they won't be dragged back into hospital at 3am, and as a bonus they can charge more for it! I am angry at the huge gap betwen private and public healthcare yes. All of us in the UK should be horrified at the lack of investment in it, we will probably all use it at some point.

Lastly moving forward you might consider writing 'people' who give birth, to be properly inclusive.

Rolls eye. For Pete's sake we can say WOMEN who give birth. Stop with the erasure of women and facts please. I understand that there are non binary people and transgender men that give birth, but for goodness sake we are allowed to say women who give birth. This is beginning to get ridiculous.
Urgh.

She lives of her parents money, got the best education money could buy, supported through uni, then a masters, was taken on amazing educatonial holidays and repays that investment by doing sweet fa all day - she is a lazy parasite leeching off others hard work.

She gives nothing back to society or to her viewers and will continue to be a leech as long as she can, she should be working as an able bodied adult, contributing to society in some way. A job that might not be for monetary gains but to help her community or to help the arts that she claims to love.
Can you really not see that?
I find her lazy attitude absolutely disgusting, her parents must be shocked and saddened that all of their time and all of their hard work to educate her has led to this apathy. How can you not follow that train if thought and only come back with you must be jEaLoUs.
Seriously?
Disguised and disappointed - yes. This woman had a lot of potential and so many privileges and opportunities not available to the majority and chooses to rot away in a bathtub with a paperback.

Amelia liana also has filthy rich parents but churns out the cheesy cheery content on a fairly regular basis, even does the odd bit of charity work to give back. Jess could have done a podcast om books, apparently a passion of hers, but instead plops for half arsed book reviews heavily comprised of stealing other people's reviews off goodreads. Just like stealing a degree by paying others to write essays for you.
Do the work yourself.

I do know a little of AU healthcare, not as much as you will living there but it is veryyyyy different to UK healthcare, especially now. Individuals in the UK simply cannot choose any health treatment here, maybe in theory but the reality is different. Advantages of paying through the nose for a private birth is seeing the same consultant throughout and having them (hopefully) at the c section. They will helpfully guide you to a c section, it's more convenient for them as they won't be dragged back into hospital at 3am, and as a bonus they can charge more for it! I am angry at the huge gap betwen private and public healthcare yes. All of us in the UK should be horrified at the lack of investment in it, we will probably all use it at some point.

Lastly moving forward you might consider writing 'people' who give birth, to be properly inclusive.

Thanks my loves, if anyone read this.
Rolls eyes and inhales. We can say WOMEN who give birth. Stop with the erasure of women and facts please. I understand that there are non binary and trans men that give birth, but for goodness sake we are allowed to say women who give birth. This is ridiculous.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

getawaywithit

VIP Member
To be honest I don't really see the issue there. They traveled by car and probably haven't been around anyone else since her mom is sick. I would get it if other people were living at the farm or if family visited them there, but it's supposedly just them.
The problem when it comes to adherence to broad public health directives is that everyone thinks they can be the exception— e.g., yes others should stay home but we are only travelling by car and have all our essentials, etc. Before you know it, hundreds of families are claiming the same thing... that their situation allows it but hopefully everyone else obeys the rule. Once you say ‘well okay if you promise it’s straight there and no stops!’ then everyone is doing it and invariably many are making quick stops and whatnot.

In reality, it’s rarely the case that all those who say they ‘saw no one and went straight there’ actually did so. As such, unfortunately in these situations the rule is just that the law applies to everyone even if you think you’ll be fine.

And even looking at their situation, they have one pregnant woman and one with a serious illness. If anything were to go slightly amiss of course they’d seek medical attention ASAP which means immediate spread to local health facilities, brought from London.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

palmer

Chatty Member
Don't get me wrong, I used to love Jess' content. However, I feel like over the past few years I've gradually been falling out of love with influencer content in general.

(Some background on myself to make this make sense) so being a post grad in London, struggling to find that inital grad job and working in a restaurant in the interim while struggling to pay extortionate London rent prices - it does gall seeing someone you follow receive numerous designer items for free and go on many expensive holidays etc.

Obviously this is incredibly whiny and self pitying, everyone has their own struggles and there are obviously people out there who have much worse struggles to contend with. And obviously, none of this is directly Jess' or any other influencers 'fault.' They get free stuff as PR.

I use influencer content as a kind of escape and a way to wind down after my day. I've been watching influencers since I was a teenager, before the term 'Influencer' was even a thing. Watching vloggers used to feel warm and familiar, these were people like me, who I could relate to. However my feeling towards influencer content has been changing recently as I've realised that it's become increasingly more sinister over the years. There seems to be such a disparity of wealth between myself and the people I used to be able to relate to and it's chilling to realise that what I used to see as some lighthearted entertainment has become more about trying to sell me a lifestyle which seems so unattainable instead.

Again, I understand this is an incredibly cynical viewpoint to take. Influencer marketing exists for a reason and understandably its up to us to self regulate if we're uncomfortable with the content we're consuming.

However. The thing that got to me the most about Jess' videos recently (and the reason I'm even on here in the first place) is one of her recent Vlogtober videos (from Oct 21st). It begins with her having a 'planning day' which she stops at quarter past 4 to read a book. She mentions going out to take a picture, but then puts it off because she's 'not feeling inspired.' The next day she starts off by saying 'nothing urgent needs to happen' so she spent the morning finishing her book. She then goes out to buy an expensive table. The next day she's out at Kew gardens. The next day is Thursday and she's in bed talking about how she wants to do a botany course?? Then the next day arrives. It's Friday - she's done NO work???? All week. Initially I had to turn the video off at this point it enraged me so much.

I don't usually feel so strongly about stuff like this but boy this video REALLY got to me. This girl OWNS a house in London. She bought a HOUSE. Surely to earn that kind of money to be able to do that you'd need to work pretty hard right??? Apparently not.

I understand her work might have seen a bit of a lapse recently due to Covid but still. Again, I understand she's going through personal family struggles as well for which I completely sympathise. But there hasn't been a single ounce of work completed so far from what I can see.

It's so frustrating for those watching, doing their 9-5 who would LOVE for the chance to go out to Kew gardens in the middle of the day, or have a nap, or read a book whenever they feel like it. But oh yeah. That's not how having a job works is it.

Back to the video, so it's Friday and Jess happily announces 'yesterday I spent most of the day reading' she at least has the self awareness to do a guilty chuckle at the end of the sentence. So what's she up to today I hear you ask? 'Zak and I are going to head into John Lewis.' Right. She then comes home to complain about how John Lewis was 'very uninspiring' 😅ffs.

She then goes off on a tangent about how lazy and unproductive her week has been. 'I feel like there's so much I could have got done which I didn't do. But it's Friday, so I'm not going to start doing anything now.' Fantastic. Not sure my boss would buy it if I tried to tell her that to be honest.

She then goes on to talk about how these weeks happen and she's trying to be gentle and easy on herself. And I get that. I really do. But it just doesn't seem like she's attempted to do anything whatsoever. How can you literally not work for a whole week??

She then goes on to say that she's going to try and give herself a kick up the ass next week and to 'foster some inspiration.' Which sounds like a good idea.

I hate how bitter this is coming across but it's just so difficult. I would LOVE to have the job she has. It's just so insulting to see someone in her incredibly privileged position who does not seem to acknowledge it in the slightest.

Idk, this has been a long rant. Let me know your thoughts pls.
Your feelings are 100% valid and you don't need to apologize or justify yourself for them. I think what you touched on is the reason many of us are even on these forums tbh. When you said: "There seems to be such a disparity of wealth between myself and the people I used to be able to relate to and it's chilling to realise that what I used to see as some lighthearted entertainment has become more about trying to sell me a lifestyle which seems so unattainable instead." -- this statement deadass sums it all up. I know how you feel. I started watching these Youtubers back when I was a teenager living at home with my parents -- I was seeking company and at the time it was just them talking to a webcam in their bedroom. They were relatable. Just girls around my age talking about things I could easily connect with. Now 10 years later, I'm an adult living in a foreign country paying for my own rent, bills, and a mountain of student debt, and it seems like they couldn't even begin to grasp any of the challenges I have to face on a daily basis. They no longer talk about or show anything I could possibly identify with. Our lives, struggles, and concerns could not be any more opposite. In a way, they're the embodiment of social injustice. They are working the least, yet earning the most. Getting maximum profits (insanely high paychecks, plus a neverending flow of gifts, plus all the time in the world) while the rest of us get nothing at all (low wages, zero freebies, 45+ hour weeks and no free time). How could they possibly be enjoyable to watch for people like us? Especially when the gap didn't seem as huge back when we started watching them--we literally watched as the gap between us and them grew bigger and bigger over the years. Why would I enjoy watching a girl whose parents are multi-millionaires as she sits in her West London house not doing any work for weeks in a row, when I come back to my tiny flat exhausted after a 10 hour work day and haven't taken a day off in months? Naturally it won't make me feel good. I don't think you're being bitter at all. I think people like Jess are just unconsciously highlighting how unfair this society is. Back in the day there were no PR gifts, no PR trips, no sponsored instagram posts, and most of them were posting videos alongside their day-to-day job or activities (such as uni). The dynamic is, unfortunately, completely different now. It's sickening really--there shouldn't be such insane disparities between people's wealth levels/lifestyles. You mentioned "Self-regulating" and it's also not as easy as it sounds right (it's the old influencer disclaimer: "if you dislike me or my content you can just click off!") ...we GREW UP watching these people and clearly our feelings were MUCH different at the beginning than they are now. When you have followed someone for years, feel like you've grown to know them pretty closely, have kind of developed a habit of watching them...it's not that easy to just click off and ignore what's happening right before your eyes. The familiarity is there. It's all the more sickening when you start realizing what this has turned into and the effect that it's now having on you. Unlike celebrities (whom people follow for escapism), influencers are people that were initially sold to us as "people just like us." They were sold to us as "relatable." It's not so easy to turn a blind eye now that they have become just like celebrities.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

jjeett

Chatty Member
God if it is just weight gain and she's not pregnant at all we've been absolutely savage

• Haha
Reactions: 30

doodlebug

VIP Member
Slightly off topic but do you know what I miss about old school YouTube? Genuine collective hauls of girls who had gone shopping and just wanted to show what they got. (Jess had great hauls back in the day!) Now the only hauls are sponsored - or a huge load of clothing bought because it’s trendy and most of it will be returned as it was bought solely for content. (Like how everyone was doing Zara hauls recently)

Reactions: 29

Smca53

VIP Member
She reminds me so much of the main character, Will, in About A Boy.... in particular, this quote:

”Full hours can be a little bit intimidating and most activities take about half an hour. Taking a bath: one unit, watching Countdown: one unit, web-based research: two units, exercising: three units, having my hair carefully disheveled: four units. It’s amazing how the day fills up, and I often wonder, to be absolutely honest, if I’d ever have time for a job. How do people cram them in?”

• Haha

Chocolate2008

VIP Member
The vast vast majority of people who give birth are women. I don’t think anyone who refers to women giving birth is anti trans & it’s completely OTT to suggest so & suggest that every time we talk about giving birth we have to ensure we use the word people.

Im 100% not anti trans in any way. I’m 100% accept that there are people born in wrong body. However, there are people who do not share this view. In my view nitpicking about language increases polarisation. Further, starting to refer to women under the umbrella of people who have a cervix risks dehumanising women. Women fought for rights for a long, long time.

If no offence is meant, let’s not take offence.
Women and trans men give birth. Jess is a woman this thread is about Jess & there was a reference to women such as Jess giving birth. It doesn’t mean that trans men don’t also give birth.

• Heart

ECH

VIP Member
A C section is major surgery, it has nothing to do with being 'too posh to push'. It's a personal choice and it's none of our business how or why she chooses to give birth.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Smca53

VIP Member
I dunno why so many people are obsessed with Jess doing more and how her life isn’t “fulfilling” enough.
Let’s face it, she earns 10 times more than she would in any job her degree could get her.
she gets to do whatever she wants, a bit of styling, a bit of photography, shoot look books with zak and shop for a living. She bought a huge beautiful house and is doing probably a 2/300k renovation right now and can set her own schedule and spend the whole day reading if she wants to. She also has time to support her mum and drive her to all her appointments during her cancer treatment.

I dunno why you all think she would be more fulfilled doing a low paid 9-5. Sounds like she has the perfect set up for her interests and is lucky that she and Zak will be able to spend a lot of time with the baby in its early years.
I think this entirely misses the point. No one is suggesting she should do a low paid 9-5. The point is that she does... nothing. She thinks reading all day is a genuinely busy day. She seems to want some kind of purpose in her - at present, directionless - life. Whether that’s a low paid, high paid, or voluntary role, it doesn’t matter. She just seems to have a gaping hole in her life post-education sitting around achieving nothing at all. I think a lot of people here want that for her because she has the opportunities open to her and she always seemed to want to achieve something, before it all dwindled down to nothing.

• Heart
Reactions: 27