Sunbeamsjess

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Now that Zak edits her videos, I don't know why she's so late with her uploads? What's the excuse? Is she that lazy that she can't make herself discuss books for an hour, something she supposedly loves doing?

Reactions: 7
Well according to her IG post it's because it requires more brainpower than she's had access to... not like she did a 4-year undergrad and then a Master's or anything that possibly requires a lot of brainpower

But seriously it just reinforces the fact she's depressed at the moment

Reactions: 14
But most people

I realize you didnt intend it poorly but that is some patronizing stuff, that is borderline spiritual bypassing, and neglects the reality of the world for many of us. Hard work doesn't ensure 'happiness' anymore than being born into wealth does. And it doesnt ensure financial security obviously. But being born into wealth does (generally) ensure financial security and financial insecurity is arguably the number one killer in the world. Its not just 'nice' not to have to worry about money, its almost everything. And if someone doesnt know that or believe that, its because theyve never really had to worry.
Preface: I just love your posts @consumerism makes u free. They're always so spot-on.

I get OP's point but the way the post was worded sounded super condescending and pretentious to me. I have a well-paying job and high earning potential, I'm not worried about my future per se -- but this doesn't stop me from having an understanding of what would be the position of the vast majority of people who watch Youtube videos and follow these influencers. Most people will never ever get close to earning half of the income earned by the Youtubers they watch, despite working 10x more and harder than them. And that is deeply unfair and wrong. Even if they get to a comfortable enough position in their lives, they will never attain the type of comfort that Jess has -- they'll never get as much free time to spend on themselves and their loved-ones, they'll never get to own as much as she does, they'll never get as much freedom as she has because they'll be reliant on their jobs at the end of the day.

I'm obviously not envious of Jess' awful mental health and lack of purpose. I do think most of these influencers will never be truly happy or fulfilled, because their lives are so vapid and meaningless. For this reason I would not trade my life with theirs (otherwise I would have started posting videos on Youtube by now). I'm happy that I have a job that actually adds something to society, I'm happy that I get to pay for my own tit, and I'm even happier when I do get to spoil my family and friends -- yes, all these things feel good. It's satisfying and gives you motivation to get up every morning. But I still see the deep injustice that's going on here.

My previous post was meant to encompass influencers in general, so it doesn't matter much that Jess in particular comes from extreme wealth via her family. But even then, the points do circle back. The fact that her life likely wouldn't be any different had she not been a Youtuber doesn't really make it any better, if anything it's worse. She displays an obscene amount of wealth and absurd lifestyle for people to watch, and for her to get all these extra privileges on top of that (PR gifts and whatnot) is frankly an insult and again shows what's wrong with this society. People like Jess who had family money to begin with were able to start posting videos about hauls/makeup, even when they weren't getting any income from it, because they already had money in the family bank to invest in this tit, and then from there they got to turn this into a 'career' which gets them even more money and privileges. (and in Jess' case, she even got to turn it into a career for her significant other as well!!!)

Even in the midst of a global pandemic and recession, influencers continue to post affiliate links every day for tit most people cannot afford--they continue to show just how little they are contributing while the rest of us are losing our jobs, perhaps worried about our parents' jobs, etc. It's just disgusting and if you are able to distance yourself from it because you happen to be in a comfortable position yourself, that's great for you! But think of all the people who never will have access to even your level of comfort (let alone the kind of level influencers like Jess have). For most people it's not just about waiting for their career to 'pick up', because many career paths do not even have a high earning potential anyway (no matter how many years you are in it / how advanced you are in your career). They already know that even at the peak of their career they still wouldn't be able to afford half the tit influencers do. They already know they might never be able to buy a house.

The fact that Jess has all that she has and doesn't even try to do something valuable with it is despicable, if you ask me. Has she ever done anything for charity? Has she ever donated her time to a cause or used her platform to elevate voices? Has she ever truly acknowledged her privilege and shown any type of understanding of wealth inequality? Has she ever shown any level of awareness regarding the position her viewers might be in / the type of lifestyle her viewers have? The most she's ever done was to stop posting What I Got For Xmas videos and that's just not nearly enough as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
hit the freaking nail on the head.

the reality is, most of us, most people in the world will never reach the level of wealth / financial security / assets that jess and these other youtubers have. it's sickening tbh, especially because it's sold to us as something that we should be able to do / afford with our regular jobs, or that this level of wealth and consumerism is something normal or even attainable. when in reality it's not.

Your feelings are 100% valid and you don't need to apologize or justify yourself for them. I think what you touched on is the reason many of us are even on these forums tbh. When you said: "There seems to be such a disparity of wealth between myself and the people I used to be able to relate to and it's chilling to realise that what I used to see as some lighthearted entertainment has become more about trying to sell me a lifestyle which seems so unattainable instead." -- this statement deadass sums it all up. I know how you feel. I started watching these Youtubers back when I was a teenager living at home with my parents -- I was seeking company and at the time it was just them talking to a webcam in their bedroom. They were relatable. Just girls around my age talking about things I could easily connect with. Now 10 years later, I'm an adult living in a foreign country paying for my own rent, bills, and a mountain of student debt, and it seems like they couldn't even begin to grasp any of the challenges I have to face on a daily basis. They no longer talk about or show anything I could possibly identify with. Our lives, struggles, and concerns could not be any more opposite. In a way, they're the embodiment of social injustice. They are working the least, yet earning the most. Getting maximum profits (insanely high paychecks, plus a neverending flow of gifts, plus all the time in the world) while the rest of us get nothing at all (low wages, zero freebies, 45+ hour weeks and no free time). How could they possibly be enjoyable to watch for people like us? Especially when the gap didn't seem as huge back when we started watching them--we literally watched as the gap between us and them grew bigger and bigger over the years. Why would I enjoy watching a girl whose parents are multi-millionaires as she sits in her West London house not doing any work for weeks in a row, when I come back to my tiny flat exhausted after a 10 hour work day and haven't taken a day off in months? Naturally it won't make me feel good. I don't think you're being bitter at all. I think people like Jess are just unconsciously highlighting how unfair this society is. Back in the day there were no PR gifts, no PR trips, no sponsored instagram posts, and most of them were posting videos alongside their day-to-day job or activities (such as uni). The dynamic is, unfortunately, completely different now. It's sickening really--there shouldn't be such insane disparities between people's wealth levels/lifestyles. You mentioned "Self-regulating" and it's also not as easy as it sounds right (it's the old influencer disclaimer: "if you dislike me or my content you can just click off!") ...we GREW UP watching these people and clearly our feelings were MUCH different at the beginning than they are now. When you have followed someone for years, feel like you've grown to know them pretty closely, have kind of developed a habit of watching them...it's not that easy to just click off and ignore what's happening right before your eyes. The familiarity is there. It's all the more sickening when you start realizing what this has turned into and the effect that it's now having on you. Unlike celebrities (whom people follow for escapism), influencers are people that were initially sold to us as "people just like us." They were sold to us as "relatable." It's not so easy to turn a blind eye now that they have become just like celebrities.

Reactions: 5
I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks the future is for influencers? I've seen people say on Tattle that they think the 'job' will die out because followers are getting fed up with it. Personally, I can only see it getting bigger.

Reactions: 6
I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks the future is for influencers? I've seen people say on Tattle that they think the 'job' will die out because followers are getting fed up with it. Personally, I can only see it getting bigger.
I agree that the ‘influencer’ market will grow, but it will also evolve. I think YouTube influencers are dying out - but insta / TikTok ads are where the money is.

Like any industry, you’ve got to adapt and change as it grows and develops. I can see a lot of ‘old school’ YouTubers not bothering, or not being able to translate their following to other platforms.

Reactions: 12
I’m a bit baffled by some posts. We live in a capitalist society & Jess was born into money.

Influencers work in marketing & they will continue to market stuff. For many it has evolved from a hobby into a career & they have made plenty of money from that.

I watch influencers the way I watch Made in Chelsea it’s bubblegum for the brain.

Hard work does not guarantee success & many are born much richer than others will ever be but that has always been the case.

If you are reading this from a Western country you have won the lottery already compared to many in slums elsewhere no matter how poor or in debt you are by Western standards.

Those who compare themselves to Jess are making the choice to do so. Jess isn’t the girl next door & she never was unlike some influencers. If this makes you feel bad stop watching her.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Well that's a rather invalidating and reductive summary that sort of misses the forest for trees. People were making broader points but alright.
Personally I wouldn’t choose to use such cartoons when debating a point with someone, seems like a cheap shot & a fish for likes.

I don’t disagree with several of the points made about Jess’ apparent unwillingness to do pretty much anything.

I am quite baffled by anyone who claims they feel compelled to compare themselves to her. Choosing to compare yourself to anyone is a choice. Why don’t the same people choose to compare themselves to those who are worse off?

Jess’ mum may well have terminal cancer, money doesn’t buy everything.

Reactions: 4
I am quite baffled by anyone who claims they feel compelled to compare themselves to her. Choosing to compare yourself to anyone is a choice. Why don’t the same people choose to compare themselves to those who are worse off?
Actually there’s very good evidence that shows social media is quite harmful for people’s mental health (young girls/adolescents in particular) exactly because they are comparing themselves to an unattainable ideal or lifestyle. So it’s clearly not as simple as “choosing” not to compare yourself. That’s great if you’re able to distance yourself and use social media/follow influencers without being susceptible to the negative effects, but it’s very shortsighted to expect others to be able to do the same and quite patronising to be judgmental of people who do struggle with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
reread @palmer et al's posts on this. literally touches on this point specifically lmfao.

Those who compare themselves to Jess are making the choice to do so. Jess isn’t the girl next door & she never was unlike some influencers. If this makes you feel bad stop watching her.

Reactions: 2
Actually there’s very good evidence that shows social media is quite harmful for people’s mental health (young girls/adolescents in particular) exactly because they are comparing themselves to an unattainable ideal or lifestyle. So it’s clearly not as simple as “choosing” not to compare yourself. That’s great if you’re able to distance yourself and use social media/follow influencers without being susceptible to the negative effects, but it’s very shortsighted to expect others to be able to do the same and quite patronising to be judgmental of people who do struggle with it.
Ive no doubt that social media is potentially very harmful if you are a vulnerable teenager or in a vulnerable place mentally.
I don’t understand why someone Jess’ age chooses to follow her & then gives out about her unattainable lifestyle because of how it makes them feel.

Reactions: 2
Ive no doubt that social media is potentially very harmful if you are a vulnerable teenager or in a vulnerable place mentally.
I don’t understand why someone Jess’ age chooses to follow her & then gives out about her unattainable lifestyle because of how it makes them feel.
youre clearly still missing the bigger picture then.

Reactions: 11
reread @palmer et al's posts on this. literally touches on this point specifically lmfao.
I have reread it. If on the one hand you don’t want to switch off from certain influencers because of how long you have watched them but on the other you realise what influencing has evolved into decide between the two.

Jess specifically was never the girl next door unless you live in a very nice part of London.

I don’t consider myself in any way superior to anybody & I’m not trying to patronise anybody. I have switched off from certain influencers when their content changed. I don’t hate watch anybody although I’ll happily have a peek if there is gossip.

Jess is rich with or without YouTube, exceptionally rich. So she doesn’t have to work ten hours a day while most do. But that’s just life.

youre clearly still missing the bigger picture then.
Could you explain your point to me please?

Reactions: 3
Could you explain your point to me please?
IMO you are choosing to miss the point as it has been explained, at length, by several users and I don’t think speaking down to anyone on here is going to lead to a positive or constructive conversation.

I’d rather get back to Jess, personally!

Reactions: 8
IMO you are choosing to miss the point as it has been explained, at length, by several users and I don’t think speaking down to anyone on here is going to lead to a positive or constructive conversation.

I’d rather get back to Jess, personally!
This is frustrating. I am 100% not choosing to miss the point. 100% not. Can you please explain the key point that you think I am missing in a few sentences?

Hi, pretty sure it's me you're trying to call out here so thought I'd respond and maybe clarify some things for you. I've been watching Jess for about 10 years now. Over that time I've shared experiences with her, moving out, going to uni etc and for a time our lives felt very similar. I've since graduated and got a job. She's since graduated and done a masters, now from as much as I can tell 'influencing' is her full time job. Which is fantastic, it's super impressive that she's managed to grow her audience and make a living from something which was once a hobby. This is essentially the ideal 'dream' for many many people.

What I take issue with is the fact that I work my ass off 9-5 doing a job I don't really like, but I have to do it because like everyone else, I need money to pay my rent, bills etc. I'm also highly aware of how privileged I am do be doing this job in the first place. I have a good salary and job security which is more than most right now and I'm extremely grateful for it.

I used to watch someone like Jess and be able to relate to what she was doing, uni work etc. It's why I watched her as I felt that we were similar in some ways. She was someone who motivated and inspired me to work harder.

Now I sit down to watch her video at the end of my working week and I see someone who has managed to buy a house in the most expensive city in the UK and yet her 'week of work' shows her doing absolutely nothing???

I'm sorry but I fail to see how anyone can not feel at least a little put off by this. I know that if I don't like it I should stop watching her. Which is exactly what I've done. However, how many more of these people am I going to have to stop watching because they glorify a lifestyle which is unattainable for a large percentage of the population?

I've never been on one of these forums before I watched this video. I clearly feel very strongly about this because it is grossly unfair and clearly a lot of people on here feel the same. If it doesn't affect you then brilliant. But as someone else pointed out in another post, it does feel like you're missing the forest for the trees here.

*edit, I have no problem with influencers, as long as they work hard!! Like everyone else has to.

Reactions: 22
Also, I would like to add to the above post. I really dont think I would want to have Jess' life. She has no direction, no ambition and no dedication to anything it seems. Even reading and reviewing, things she loved to do, seem like a chore for her now. Or should I say requires too much "brain power" right now. She's gone to the point of no return, once you lose all meaning in life, its very hard to get back in to the swing of things. Most people have that push for money and surviving but all her basic needs are met and always will be. She has everything she wants so she has nothing to aspire too. Education was clearly her be all and end all. She doesn't have the motivation, drive or resilience to handle a PHD and I cant see her doing much else.

if I was a millionaire, I would still do my day job. I LOVE what I do. I love making a difference and shaping the next generation and duck yeah, having that level of wealth would make my life easier but it wouldn't fulfil me. Jess seems to hop from one thing to another and still she's aimless. With her level of money, she could do SO much with her influencing career as she already has the capital behind her. I know she doesnt like to be referred to as an influencer but thats what she is. Her taste in books doesn't appeal to me greatly but her fashion sense does and even now, I feel like I watch it and I can afford to buy the same pieces she buys but I believe my money is better spent on other things so I lose interest. Thats my only gripe about Jess is that she has no drive or direction and doesnt seem to want find any either. Its the pure laziness for me. She could do SO much. She could open her own indie publishing house, she could be an editor, she can proof read books etc.

Reactions: 8
This is frustrating. I am 100% not choosing to miss the point. 100% not. Can you please explain the key point that you think I am missing in a few sentences?
I'm personally of the opinion that when one comes across a situation which, in their view, reflects a fundamental failure in the way our society works, they should raise it and talk about it rather than choose to "switch off" and ignore under the pretext that "we live in a capitalist society and that's not about to change so just accept it and don't complain." In my view, the situation that we are describing here does reflect a deep failure. The fact that people like Jess are able to sit in their multi-million pound home week after week, month after month, and put in zero work, while others --literally in the same city-- are killing themselves at work and still struggling to make ends meet...IS NOT okay and should not be accepted as a fatality. Economic inequality is a serious issue and it is rising, including in London where Jess lives. It's become increasingly obvious now given the pandemic/recession we're currently going through. The fact that people make money (a disgusting amount of it) off of plastering this obscene lifestyle online for people to watch is frankly not a trivial thing and I believe we should all ask ourselves what it means, what it reflects, the consequences it could have, etc. It is harmful whether you personally feel the effect of it or not. Just because a 'job' exists doesn't make it morally right and doesn't mean we shouldn't question or even criticize the value it adds to society. Just like many people criticize finance jobs for other reasons (for example).

You ask, "Why don’t people choose to compare themselves to those who are worse off?" -- to me the answer is simple. If we were to ignore people who are better off and instead systematically compare ourselves to people who are 'worse off,' that would lead us to accept less-than-ideal conditions and never strive for the improvement of our own conditions. I personally believe in leveling upwards rather than leveling downwards. Isn't the ultimate goal that we improve our societies overtime, that everyone's living conditions improve? If you just keep telling yourself "yeah my situation is crappy but people in other countries have it even worse, so I'm not going to complain about any of the things I'm going through" then how is that sort of mentality going to help improve the situation of generations after you who will be going through similar issues? That's a very narrow way to look at things and actually doesn't help anything or anyone long term. Saying "that's just life" doesn't help anybody. Well, yeah, it helps the people who are already in extremely privileged positions, people like Jess!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.