Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Flumps

VIP Member
Did her 'assistant' even exist?
Settle in kids, I'm going to tell you a story from my life, that this Kickstarter thing reminds me of, but I have been wary about sharing because it (a) it's something I don't much like to talk about and (b) sounds like a JM style story, because I have a life that would make the scriptwriters of EastEnders shake their heads and claim to be a bit too farfetched. However, it is entirely true.

Several years ago I met a man on online dating. We got on very well and discovered we had several things in common. We'd both had cancer, mine was v early stage and surgically treated, but his was very severe, stomach, and he had several ops, radio and chemo and was at one point told that it was incurable, but he had amazingly gone into remission just after that. The story of how he had recovered was very dramatic and gory. He also had an interesting job in the media. I liked him very much. He was funny and clever and held a room when he told a story. We dated for a while, it was nice, he would tell me funny stories about his job, his previous life, all incredibly detailed and funny. We moved in together, he would work, go out to work, come home, deal in camera equipment online, all sorts of strings to his bow, but there was never any money. Then there were cracks, strange things with his family, odd raging outbursts when challenged on anything, compared to his normal genial persona and these gradual inconsistencies in what he said vs what he did. One day, there was a violent outburst beyond anything else, and I asked him to leave (after over 3 years of being together). It was like a switch had flipped and he became full of cold rage, and he was a big man, and it was very scary. He left, and then I found out all sorts of things. I posted something on the socials that demonstrated we had broken up (not a direct thing, but a post that made it clear) and two of his exes contacted me...

He'd never had cancer. He'd never done any of the things he said he'd done. He was unemployable because of his ego. He lived off them for years like he lived off me. And most of all, he was being chased by 100s of people on the internet because he'd been an expert in a form of collecting and had sold fakes (he'd inexpertly produced) of something that people will pay A LOT of money for. He owed thousands and thousands of pounds. I found a forum where people talked about him. He would come on and tell stories of his ill health, his (at the time) partner's ill health. He had multiple email addresses set up in the names of his family and friends that he would email from making excuses for him, because he was allegedly in hospital. The tone of all that was that these people who were owed money were horrible, awful people for nagging him, and making *him* feel bad, and he was the victim in all this. It was awful, and in retrospect terrifying, and SO SO reminiscent of some stuff talked about here.

My salutary tale ends here.

Edited to add: the scars I saw from surgery on his stomach were self-inflicted. Not sure how I missed that bit.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 57

NP

VIP Member
Thread title suggestion.

Jack Monroe #9 - 200 curries in her repertoire, but they all look like vomit in a mason jar

• Haha
Reactions: 55
I am confused by one thing though - many of the foods which are called ‘fancy’ are literally other culture’s staple foods. E.g. miso is the equivalent of stock in Japan ( May have used wrong metaphor but it’s used loads and is not remotely fancy in Japan). It just feels a bit wrong in 2020, in a country with multiple ethnicities to be acting as though it’s really strange foreign foodstuffs on mainstream media. Especially when most supermarkets now stock it, and cooking shows have dealt with it since the 90s. Possibly in the aisles people don’t go up but I live in a small market town in East of England and all our supermarkets stock variations of this stuff including my really small local sainsburys. She isn’t that old so grew up after the food explosion took place in the late 90s.

• Heart
Reactions: 51

blurstoftimes

VIP Member
When Jack asks about 'nurturing healthy relationships' Matt is making the exact face I pull when I'm in a meeting and I think my colleague's idea is the most moronic thing i've ever heard but I'm too polite to say anything...

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 2.53.48 pm.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
Tattlers Matt liked my insta comment. Don’t to out myself by posting. It was a subtle dig.
I am vibrating 😂😂😂😂 Matt I love you!!!! Marry me 😂🥰😂

TBH I think he likes everyone’s post but I’m ignoring that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44

Saturn.

Chatty Member
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
She's like those twats at uni who pretend they're working class. No you're just a bit skint, but really you're not. If your first thought with a bit of money is to Burberry, then I don't believe your narrative. Surely you'd be looking for stability. First thing I got was decent shoes, because when you're poor, you get into the false economy of cheap shoes. Then it was underwear, because it had seen better days. Buying fancy, expensive stuff (especially for spite) was so far down the list. And how the fuck can you justify £5kish on jackets but not have house insurance. It's ludicrous.
She's got such a chip about not owning her house, maybe if you didn't spunk your money on shite you'd have a chance. It's not like you're on a 0 hour contract trying to save!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 42

Okab15

I hope that she thinks a bit more about replying to people like Gem after the comments she wrote today. Gem was clear in saying it had happened to others.

What I don’t get, and think JM really needs to work on, is her response to critique. I’m a teacher and I get feedback, comments, complaints from:
- Ofsted once every 3-4 years (not necessarily specific to me, but my performance involved somewhere)
- our school improvement partner, a head from another school, who visits twice a year
- my head, who line manages me as part of performance management
- colleagues as part of professional development things where we peer observe
- teaching assistants in my classroom as we chat about what worked and what didn’t
- parents - everything from lovely cards and comments, to backhanded compliments, to them being annoyed about something informally to written complaints
- children (I liked x teacher better, you have a moustache, your sunglasses make you look modern, this is boring/ fun, why is your face red?)

I wanted to list it in full as so much of my work is about feedback when I think about it properly.

I don’t get why JM so surprised that there will be feedback on social media. In all lines of work, there will be critiquing, a need to improve, someone showing you how to do something better, suggestions from people who do know better and those who don’t. Lots of comments from fans (although I agree, apart from Naomi, who is actually making this stuff?) giving positive comments and a few saying the show doesn’t quite work.

Over and out. That’s been building up over a few days 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

Sooverthat

Chatty Member
I've decided that the positives from watching Daily Kitchen the past few weeks are:

1. Evolving crush on Matt. Each day I find something else about him that I fancy. I'm gonna start watching Saturday kitchen and tell my husband it's 'research'

2. Nigella is dreamy. Girl crush. There I said it. Her eyelashes, her waist, her perfect lip gloss, her mellow tones, her carefully chosen words that make nearly everything she does sexy. (Like jack- I'm gonna curl my hair put on a fitted top and just pretend for 5 minutes I can be like nigella too)

3. My cooking isn't shit. Thanks to Jack I can confirm I feed our family well! With flavour! Utilising ingredients! On a budget. Boom.

4. This Tattle family thread has SAVED me many many times throughout the day from the chaos that is my house right now with 4 kids climbing the walls. It's been a much needed escape. Laughing out loud. Giggling to myself. And boosted my creativity to find something to entertain everyone so I can tune in and watch while checking in with my fellow Tattlers.

5. I love Matt.

• Heart
  • Haha

Nottonightbabe

VIP Member
Just wanted to wade in on the cultural appropriation thing. I'm a minority, Romany Gypsy, and it's not food with us but fashion. That olde worlde romanticised view of gypsies that makes its way into gypsy skirts, tops, earrings and so forth. Honestly, I think it's a nice thing. Does it bother me that people are profiting from it, or swanning around in their gypsy skirt when outside of that they couldn't give a flying fuck about us or our culture? Nah, bigger things in life to get my knickers in a twist over. What does grate on me though are the Jack types, those that crusade on our behalf, screaming cultural appropriation, white privilege (I also have issue with that being bandied about so casually as well but that's another tale) etc. No, just no. Pipe down, wash the sand out of your vaginas and concentrate on your own lives.

• Heart
  • Haha

PennyLoafer

Chatty Member
No, Naomi. No. Your mistress deceives you. This is *not* a brilliant idea. What you see is a perfectly acceptable taco filling. If you add it to macaroni cheese, you no longer have a taco filling and you no longer have macaroni cheese. You have a mound of hot vomit and a punishing bout of indigestion in the offing. Remember plasticine? If you mix all the different coloured strips together, you don't get a rainbow; you get a sad grey ball.

Capture.JPG

• Haha
  • Sick

LemonBean

Longtime lurker... These threads are giving me life! 🤣

Missed the the live show this morning so only just catching up, but is JM seriously making an dal in front of Shivi and Dr Rangan??? You know she only planned to talk about Ramadan because Nadiya was coming on the show and she wants to prove she's cultured. The nerve! It makes my (Indian) blood boil...

Edited to add that this is just my opinion, in case of court action 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40

LucyPeach

I’m new here. Saw people talking about Tattle on Mumsnet and haven’t looked back. Have loved reading all these threads.

Anyway saw this on Twitter. Is it one of you? 😁
634F48A1-CC3E-4ECD-8F82-68CB46700B73.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40