Jack Monroe #8 Grates meats, deletes tweets and when she denies it we've got the receipts.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How wasteful with your beetroot when there is beetroot not-hummus to be made. <shakes head sadly>

Agree with on the dal, though dal makhani I always think of as the fanciest of the dals. But my fav is so simple too, red lentils, butter, an onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, a dried red chilli, tumeric and salt. Something magic happens when you cook it and it's so delicious. I just have it with rice, whatever pickle and yoghurt. That one is from Manju Mahli's 'Brit Spice' which is a tremendous book for cheap Indian eats.
Oh yes always with something pickled! Love pickled carrots at the moment. Makhani dal is delicious but it is definitely the fanciest of all dals! Gizzi Erksine's recipe is incredible but not for those who are nervous of deliciously fattening things like double cream..

God if I had my own cooking show I could talk for hours! Its not fair! And I'm still not over hummus without tahini

• Heart
Reactions: 4
God if I had my own cooking show I could talk for hours! Its not fair! And I'm still not over hummus without tahini
It is one of the things that baffles me about JM. I *LOVE* talking about food with other people who love talking about food, I can't help it, and people's ideas spark things off in my head, or remind me of things and I get all oversharey about them. All and... and... and... and...
I don't get that feel from her at all.

Reactions: 14
A few of my thoughts.
- my husband is a great cook and when she put the coconut milk in the daal he said it looked like a high quality one (I wouldn’t know). How different to a few episodes ago when she was chatting about using half a tin for economic reasons. Sme with loads of butter - butter is lovely but a more expensive ingredient.
- someone on twitter calling her out on using said coconut milk - “we never put coconut milk in” etc. So interesting in light of JO comments. As someone said before, if it’s a tribute or a dish in the style of another, you need to say that more clearly and acknowledge that isn’t what is normally done.
- finding the St George comments very funny. She’s definitely not responding to as much as before. Can you imagine the pickle she’d get into over these?
- finding comments like “how else can I heat up my food if I don’t have a microwave” very amusing too.
- lots more blender use as well - but a few days ago, didn’t use one and spoke about why. She’s really selling out on her USP if you can call it that in my opinion.
Jacks USP is basically shot to tit because she's trying too hard to be something to everyone instead of focusing on her core demographic and playing to her strengths.
First piece of advice she needs to heed; get the duck off our TV screens and stick to your blog love!

Reactions: 15
It is one of the things that baffles me about JM. I *LOVE* talking about food with other people who love talking about food, I can't help it, and people's ideas spark things off in my head, or remind me of things and I get all oversharey about them. All and... and... and... and...
I don't get that feel from her at all.
She loves being a food writer because sharing her disgusting, miserable recipes is a way for her to talk endlessly about how poor she is and how terrible her life is and further her victimhood agenda. Food and cooking should be joy and escapism! She'd landed into an amazing position for all the wrong reasons and for that reason I dislike her

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I'm glad I didn't watch this live, think I may have exploded! I'm having to pause and take deep breaths...

She hasn't explained that she's using butter as a replacement for ghee, which isn't as rich as butter. Masala is the name we give the spice blend, not the sauce, rather the word curry would be a closer equivalent to sauce/gravy 🙄

I'm also pretty sure I clocked Shivi rolling her eyes during JM's segment, around the time she mentioned serving dal at a Wedding breakfast 😂 I feel you, Shivi!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Does anyone have the number for the hummus police? Someone should be prepping for their own court case.

judge.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 21
apology? Have I missed something?
I think it’s on the first couple of pages of this thread about the Twitter apology to one of the posters. It was evidently forced as it came 20 hours after the post was made with her tagged in it, straight after the show.

Reactions: 5
apology? Have I missed something?

She issued an apology of sorts to 'Gem' on Twitter for unknowingly setting the hounds on her. I think 'TV' Jack who likes the limelight and is fighting for some form of future role has taken over from 'Twitter' Jack who wouldn't be told by anyone what she could and couldn't write. Just an opinion ….. m'lud.

Reactions: 18
Looks lovely, but I meant to say yesterday, I've been making this for years. It's ..... a Jamie Oliver recipe! https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/broccoli-anchovy-orecchiette/
I made a version of it before too. But I cooked the broccoli in with the pasta and added it into a pan with the innards of a sausage, garlic and chilli. Without the chilli, it was a toddler fave made with orzo.
All these chefs are big copy cats.
Although, given Jane if from the river cafe JO might have been ‘inspired’ by her.

Reactions: 6
Just wanted to wade in on the cultural appropriation thing. I'm a minority, Romany Gypsy, and it's not food with us but fashion. That olde worlde romanticised view of gypsies that makes its way into gypsy skirts, tops, earrings and so forth. Honestly, I think it's a nice thing. Does it bother me that people are profiting from it, or swanning around in their gypsy skirt when outside of that they couldn't give a flying duck about us or our culture? Nah, bigger things in life to get my knickers in a twist over. What does grate on me though are the Jack types, those that crusade on our behalf, screaming cultural appropriation, white privilege (I also have issue with that being bandied about so casually as well but that's another tale) etc. No, just no. Pipe down, wash the sand out of your vaginas and concentrate on your own lives.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
imagine the party at his house on Friday afternoon
Afternoon = however long it takes him to get home from the studio in Clapham 😂

The pasta is from that weird and wonderful place, the Aldi middle aisle. I think I picked it up about 6 months ago and that’s me only just using it. Was about £1.50

Found this in my dry spice drawer. I think Jack could benefit from it.
Amazing I miss Aldi ( especially the middle aisle) the one nearest me would be like an hour walk hope it was amazing and that you cooked it in the microwave 😂

Reactions: 5
My takeaway from todays show, which again has nothing to do with the show really, is how many ways there are to spell dal. Dal, daal, dhal, dahl, dail. Who knew? Surprised Jack didn't chuck that in with her curry facts.
Ive never seen “dail” before! And “dahl” is a misspelling of “dhal” and influenced by Roald, I think 😄

But on a more serious note, it’s because words are translated from other languages into English phonetically and with no standardised spelling. You get it with South Asian surnames a lot too. Choudhury, for example, is a quite common surname, but TONS of different spellings - all manner of different vowels, sometimes a “w”...

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Just wanted to wade in on the cultural appropriation thing. I'm a minority, Romany Gypsy, and it's not food with us but fashion. That olde worlde romanticised view of gypsies that makes its way into gypsy skirts, tops, earrings and so forth. Honestly, I think it's a nice thing. Does it bother me that people are profiting from it, or swanning around in their gypsy skirt when outside of that they couldn't give a flying duck about us or our culture? Nah, bigger things in life to get my knickers in a twist over. What does grate on me though are the Jack types, those that crusade on our behalf, screaming cultural appropriation, white privilege (I also have issue with that being bandied about so casually as well but that's another tale) etc. No, just no. Pipe down, wash the sand out of your vaginas and concentrate on your own lives.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Re vanilla sugar, it is sold on a wide scale in little sachets in Germany. It's a very common and cheap ingredient for baking. By comparison it's quite pricey in the UK.

Has anyone looked at Jack's mum's twitter? It seems that she uses it as a platform for complaining. I find that interesting.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.