Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Loving this new thread and currently reading all of your tips.

Mines are:

1. I buy quality home items. I used to buy a lot on economy stores but noticed that my home looked like a .99 cent store so I got rid of almost everything and started from almost 0. Nice curtains are really a game changer, white-creamy-graish colors only. Cotton/linen quality.

2. Avoid plastic at all cost. Wood, stainless steel, straw baskets, and glass only; specially in the kitchen.

3. I keep my kitchen clean specially the trash can. A good clean everyday to avoid nasty smells.

4. I have real plants around the house because I read they help a lot with air/oxygen quality at home.

5. I change my bed every 5 days but sometimes it takes 7 days. No more than this because you can feel a dirty bed.

6. Velvet hangers in the closet.

7. I try my best to clean the floors every 3 days if not, weekly is ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

AnnRKey

Chatty Member
I clean & tidy every day. It's definitely part of my stay sane routine. I think the key to having a lovely house is making sure you keep on top of all the little jobs so they don't turn into massive jobs. My house isn't "glamourous" because I myself am not glamourous... I am a bit of a grungy hippy and that's the vibe of my house too. It is clutter free and organised and yes I have no pets nor kids. My house is definitely a home... it is lived in and I like to find unusual accessories from charity shops, car boot sales and from travelling. I also tend to go for neutral colours on the walls so I can mix up the curtains/cushions regularly, meaning you feel like you've got house makeover relatively cheaply.

I love the Method products, you can often find them at significantly reduced prices, e.g. last lot of floor cleaner I bought was only £1 a bottle compared to £4.40 normally. The rhubarb one smells amaaaaaaaaaaazing.

If you want to save space on detergent stuff, I recommend Smol products. It comes through your letterbox and the fabric conditioner and cleaning sprays smell lovely too. They are really effective and quite economical.

Steam cleaners are great for keeping on top of floors, tiles and windows. If I am needing motivated to do some cleaning I crank up the tunes and get stuck in. Before you know it, you actually look forward to the tasks... or maybe I am a weirdo!!

• Heart
Reactions: 20

curiouserandcuriouser2022

Got guests coming tomorrow! (Unusual for me lol) what things make you go wow or at least "this is nice" when you walk through someone's door? I've got fresh wax melts at the ready, gonna have another vacuum just before bed, poof up sofa cushions. Probably sound real petty but I really like it when people say my house is nice.
Enjoy your guests tomorrow! I love when I go to someone’s house and they make me tea in a teapot (rather than teabags in cups!). It makes me feel really welcome and like they want me to stay for longer than a single cup of tea! I also really appreciate if nice cups are used and maybe a matching jug and side plates for cakes/pastries. And I love when my cup is scalded with boiling water before the tea is served! I have a set of lovely white linen napkins that I take out when visitors arrive. It’s hilarious the number of guests who literally gasp with admiration at how pristine and clean the napkins are, but then refuse to use them for fear of making a mess! I appreciate a nice clean hand towel in the guest WC as well!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19

If i told you …

VIP Member
Love this thread! I de clutter regularly- if I want to buy something I always question if I want to dust it. Usually I don’t!

My style is minimalist- white with a couple of accent colours which feed through the house. Lots of plants and candles too, and I find mirrors throw the light around and make a room look bigger.

Any tips on keeping a hallway clear? I have a bad habit of throwing my shoes off at the front door. I have a shoe rack and box but I’m still in the habit and it looks awful!
I had this made for our everyday shoes. It certainly makes us put them away each time we enter the house and take our shoes off. Hope this helps x

Attachments

• Heart

Dont swipe up!

VIP Member
Open windows every morning to air rooms out
But to be honest mine are always open come rain and shine
I just like the fresh air and noise of the window open instead of feeling shut up

Change bedding once a week
Maybe twice in summer and can hang out to dry

Hoover everyday
I have dyson cordless so easy to just lift off charge point and whizz around
Once a month I get Hetty out and do a big deep clean so to speak

Wash floors everyday !
I have to as I have white tiles all downstairs apart from the front room
Big mistake getting white!
Have grey laminate in front room but back door to garden which I hate
I use my shark steam mop and twice a week hands and knees with floor wipes to get in all the corners and knooks!

Wipe toilets everyday
Toilet wipes that are flushable and then toilet cleaner around the bowl

Clean the bathroom weekly deep clean and little wipe overs during the week and the floor

Dishwasher goes on every other day
Glasses I just wash up as I go with my dishmatic as they are what gets used the most!

Obviously empty bin when full

Washing I do everyday depending on what needs doing most the lights or darks

Hoover upstairs everyday too
Polish once a week upstairs
Every other day downstairs

Agree with velvet hangers

Regular sort out of cupboards
Clutter free cupboards and drawers etc means clutter free mind I find! 😂

Tidy as I go
Always put washing away the same day

Kitchen sides cleaned every morning then after each meal prep

Oven cleaned every six months
Kettle de-scaled once a month
Microwave cleaned inside as and when any splatter occurs
Dishwasher put on a clean cycle every month
Same for washing machine
Hoover cleaned and took apart hair pulled from roller etc every month
My motto is ‘don’t forget to clean the things that clean for you ‘ ❤
Fridge cleaned once a month

Lastly always tidy up before bed
Nothing worse then coming downstairs to mess and clutter
When my girls were younger always laid there uniforms out every night with underwear socks etc
These are just some of the things that help keep me sane as I have bad OCD
It’s not alway fun living with me but we appreciate it when we get lovely compliments when we have workmen friends and family etc over

Tidy house
Tidy mind ❤

Edited to add
Fresh flowers every week
Lillies are the best for looks and the smell literally scents my whole house
Cut the pollen out

Last edited:
  • Heart

Lola UK

VIP Member
A tip that works amazingly for me is if I cba to clean up, say if the time is 6.53pm for example, I tell myself to clean/tidy until just 7pm and it motivates me because it’s only 7 mins lol, I alwaaays end up doing more because I’m in the groove and the hardest part is starting lol just how my brain works x
I do this sometimes! Another thing I do is put a good podcast on. It’s actually quite relaxing turning your brain off, listening to a podcast and pottering around. I normally get quite a lot done and actually enjoy it!

I'm very glad for this thread, I have depressive moods and I know that a messy space can make it worse, so I'm keen to read everyone's tips. I do my best, but some days are easier than others. Something that helps a room look cosier are standing lamps (I have one that stands in the corner and it makes for a nice atmosphere and a room feel snuggly)
I understand this, I also feel anxious when the house isn’t in order. I feel a lot calmer when it’s cleaner and not cluttered!

• Heart

Gymhoned

VIP Member
I have some crappy tips but they help me.

Always leave your bathroom window open even just a crack. Stops damp and just generally dries stuff out.
Buy bumper packs of toilet roll in one go as cheaper and so annoying buying it constsntly.

Same with washing up liq. Buy huge bottle and use a tiny amount each time. Goes a long way.

When pouring oil for cooking use a cap full from the bottle. Its a good measure for most things, salads, frying and roasting rather than using unnecessary amounts.

Always keep spare tea towels and large old bath towels for unexpected floods.

And finally...headache sufferers..get the dentist to fit you a teeth guard. Miraculous cure!!!

• Heart

Lalla

VIP Member
Thank you!

i cannot watch anything or read anything or listen to anything. I usually spend all my spare time with books but my brain feels broken. I read the same paragraph a dozen times before giving up. This place is the only source of distraction that can seem to hold my attention. I think because there is just such variety in subject matter and there’s no plot to follow and I’m so tired of all the constant small talk in hospital whereas here there is no demand on me to contribute in any way. Tattle is a community service. Naysayers be damned.
Also thinking of you and your mum ❤

I am guilty of saving things 'for best' which never get used, or being overly frugal. In my mind I'm still a child who grew up in a low income family, then a broke student, then a hard up single parent. I've had a decent income for the last 15 years but it's a hard habit to shake. I went round 3 shops today for bin bags because I wouldn't pay £1 for 25 🤦‍♀️

I'm trying to get better at lighting my candles, and generally using things. This reminds me I bought new crockery 2 years ago and haven't used it (we have everyday white plates, then special china for Christmas, and then I bought a 'nice everyday' set. And haven't used it. Am using it tomorrow!)

• Heart

Pinhead Larry

Chatty Member
I spent half of yesterday painting my living room dark blue (F&B stiffkey blue in case anyone is interested!) and I’m now shopping online for some kind of copper or gold lamp.

Would anyone be interested in a home decor thread?
love that colour! I chose sofas in a similar tone and went for f&b off white on the walls and gold and copper coloured accessories

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Beyondthebrink

I am super late to the party but I bought some magic erasers from Home Bargains on a whim yesterday and I cannot believe how good they are. For something so cheap, it brought me a lot of satisfaction. I managed to get rid of loads of marks from my doors/doorframes/walls/skirting boards etc. Once I got started, I couldn't stop!!

• Heart

Codiaeum

VIP Member
I've come to the conclusion that vacuums must be designed by bald men who never tested the thing in a household with longhaired people and pets and therefore have zero understanding how fast the brushes develop a mighty tangle of hair and how annoying it is to clean.
We're two longhairs at home and while both of us wear hour hair in a ponytail or bun most of the time, the robovac still sports a wig after two to three months. And I don't even let it run in the bathroom before gathering the hair there with a cheap squeegee first! Good thing my boyfriend likes looking after everything technical, so he can deal with the mess.

• Haha

shadowcat5

VIP Member
Love this thread.

mine is to keep cleaning products upstairs as well as downstairs. I don’t use much. Only anti bac, window cleaner, elbow grease and bleach. so I keep one lot upstairs and one lot downstairs. It sounds like a lot but I find that having it upstairs feels less like a clean cause I can just pull them out and whiz round quick as and when.

after hoovering I spray some carpet freshener to make it smell nice

Bleach the toilet every night.

a spare pack of anti bac wipes. Terrible for the environment but they are handy for when I can’t be bothered and need to do a quick wipe over.

keep cupboards organised by food group. So my carbs (pasta etc) are kept together, pulses at kept together etc. i also organise tins front to back so all the chopped tomatoes go behind each other and then beans will go on top so that everything is visible.

disinfect the kitchen every night, tidy and do dishes. There is nothing more satisfying than coming downstairs to a nice kitchen. Don’t start your day with a chore lol!

also no shoes in the house.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

xbxbx

Chatty Member
Thank you so much for this thread!! I can’t really think of any specific tips I have. I always change my scents based upon the seasons, if that counts? I’m a sucker for candles and diffusers so always have something to fit the season. Autumn/Winter is my absolute favourite with all the deep, ‘manly’ notes and a little bit of spiced apple around Christmas.

I’m looking to cut back on cleaning products though. As I’m such a fool for a nice scent I find that I buy stuff I don’t need or use and end up with cupboards full of wasted products. Can anyone recommend any multi purpose products that will help me cut back? Ideally I’d like to have one, under the sink sized basket filled with all the cleaning products I need. I live in a 2 bed flat alone so don’t need a massive amount anyway. Currently I have one basket purely for Zoflora and maybe 2-3 other baskets for things like glass spray, disinfectant, oven cleaner etc. I’m embarrassed at how excessive it actually is but I blame lockdown and the whole Mrs Hinch hype of 2020💀

Its_Me

VIP Member
Take the rubbish out! I take mine out everyday even if it’s not totally full. I hate it when I’m in peoples houses and their bin is literally overflowing, and in summer it stinks. I just feel it’s a nice ritual at the end of the day to remove all the rubbish from the house and start fresh the next day.

And I polish everything after cleaning so there’s no water marks on taps and surfaces.

I do this sometimes! Another thing I do is put a good podcast on. It’s actually quite relaxing turning your brain off, listening to a podcast and pottering around. I normally get quite a lot done and actually enjoy it!

I understand this, I also feel anxious when the house isn’t in order. I feel a lot calmer when it’s cleaner and not cluttered!
I listened to your podcast you recommended while I was folding the washing the other day 😊 makes it feel less mundane

Last edited:
  • Heart