Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Got guests coming tomorrow! (Unusual for me lol) what things make you go wow or at least "this is nice" when you walk through someone's door? I've got fresh wax melts at the ready, gonna have another vacuum just before bed, poof up sofa cushions. Probably sound real petty but I really like it when people say my house is nice.
Fresh flowers always look and smell lovely!
Lighting is really important too, when I had friends round last week they looked in my living room (which is only lit by lamps with warm glow bulbs) and said how cosy it looked*
Candles are good too to cast a nice warm light

(*this is probably also because of the contrast... I have 10 spotlights in my hall ceiling, when I switch those lights on it's like a bloody runway! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ )

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Fresh flowers always look and smell lovely!
Lighting is really important too, when I had friends round last week they looked in my living room (which is only lit by lamps with warm glow bulbs) and said how cosy it looked*
Candles are good too to cast a nice warm light

(*this is probably also because of the contrast... I have 10 spotlights in my hall ceiling, when I switch those lights on it's like a bloody runway! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ )
Re your spotlights, ikea do smart bulbs for them and you can get ones that change between 3 white settings, and they also have full colour ones now. Additionally, you can dim them through. They were one of the best investments for us.

Reactions: 1
Got guests coming tomorrow! (Unusual for me lol) what things make you go wow or at least "this is nice" when you walk through someone's door? I've got fresh wax melts at the ready, gonna have another vacuum just before bed, poof up sofa cushions. Probably sound real petty but I really like it when people say my house is nice.
Enjoy your guests tomorrow! I love when I go to someone’s house and they make me tea in a teapot (rather than teabags in cups!). It makes me feel really welcome and like they want me to stay for longer than a single cup of tea! I also really appreciate if nice cups are used and maybe a matching jug and side plates for cakes/pastries. And I love when my cup is scalded with boiling water before the tea is served! I have a set of lovely white linen napkins that I take out when visitors arrive. It’s hilarious the number of guests who literally gasp with admiration at how pristine and clean the napkins are, but then refuse to use them for fear of making a mess! I appreciate a nice clean hand towel in the guest WC as well!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
I would agree with the previous posters on this. If you are getting fresh flowers maybe try to get something a bit different that catches the eye. I find that visitors always comment on fresh flowers.
With regards to the drinks, if you aren't going for tea or coffees and want to offer something stronger, find out their tipple beforehand and set up a wee table in the corner if you have room with gin, tonic, soda water, cut lime for example.
One thing guests also love is if you remember something about their dietary requirements, eg I always get soya milk for my friend who is diary free to put in her tea and another friend doesn't like any chocolate traybakes/cake.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Enjoy your guests tomorrow! I love when I go to someone’s house and they make me tea in a teapot (rather than teabags in cups!). It makes me feel really welcome and like they want me to stay for longer than a single cup of tea! I also really appreciate if nice cups are used and maybe a matching jug and side plates for cakes/pastries. And I love when my cup is scalded with boiling water before the tea is served! I have a set of lovely white linen napkins that I take out when visitors arrive. It’s hilarious the number of guests who literally gasp with admiration at how pristine and clean the napkins are, but then refuse to use them for fear of making a mess! I appreciate a nice clean hand towel in the guest WC as well!
Thank you! I'm gonna grab some French fancies and little nibbles 1st thing. I don't drink tea myself but I'll have a cup ready and waiting. Its not often I get to show anyone my house so want it at its best lol.

I would agree with the previous posters on this. If you are getting fresh flowers maybe try to get something a bit different that catches the eye. I find that visitors always comment on fresh flowers.
With regards to the drinks, if you aren't going for tea or coffees and want to offer something stronger, find out their tipple beforehand and set up a wee table in the corner if you have room with gin, tonic, soda water, cut lime for example.
One thing guests also love is if you remember something about their dietary requirements, eg I always get soya milk for my friend who is diary free to put in her tea and another friend doesn't like any chocolate traybakes/cake.
I was considering getting some fresh flowers in actually! Bright or light is the question? I'm lucky I live near a big asda so can go grab a few bits before they get here.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I would have fresh flowers, lit candle or a nice diffuser, slippers waiting at the door (if you do that?), ambient lighting on and some nice music playing in the background. And I always clean the bathroom before we have friends over (fresh towel and I like if it smells of cleaning products haha).

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I love it when people say this, we've put in so much work into our house and I am very house proud. I hope your visit goes well.

I always think, clear and bright entrance and then a soft cosy lounge is lovely. No clutter, a nice fresh reed diffuser, window open. Have the kettle ready and I always do a tea pot and have it all ready but I am sad like that.

I am hosting my own wedding at my house next week, I am already stressing about the house and garden. I have taken a week extra off work to get ready (plus all the usual wedding/honeymoon prep). I'm itching to get started but also do not want to start too early and have to redo some areas.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
following on from the diffuser chat - spotted these in b&m today! a complete oliver bonas dupe for half the price

1661964651335.png
1661964702341.png

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Reporting back that the Henry hoover is the best hoover ever! He dealt with all the pet hair like it was nothing and the suction is insane. My son likes doing the hoovering as well as the hoover has a smiley face!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I love it when people say this, we've put in so much work into our house and I am very house proud. I hope your visit goes well.

I always think, clear and bright entrance and then a soft cosy lounge is lovely. No clutter, a nice fresh reed diffuser, window open. Have the kettle ready and I always do a tea pot and have it all ready but I am sad like that.

I am hosting my own wedding at my house next week, I am already stressing about the house and garden. I have taken a week extra off work to get ready (plus all the usual wedding/honeymoon prep). I'm itching to get started but also do not want to start too early and have to redo some areas.
Wow - you're doing your wedding at your house?! I love this idea. Hope everything goes well.
Any tips so far?

Reactions: 4
My tip for a glam home, is have a colour theme for each room. Less is more IMO, I'm not a fan of the supper cluttered Boho look (see allegra mcevedy) also, match things if possible. So for example my kettle, toaster, bread bin, tea coffee sugar canisters are all matching. I think it makes it look more pulled together.

Reactions: 11
I love the term "house-proud"! I never heard of it before, but it describes very well the feeling I have when I show people my flat and they comment that it looks nice, etc. Will adopt that term ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don't know if this counts as glamorous (!) but I have a new favourite general cleaner/ spray, Astonish pomegranate and raspberry, only £1 and has a really lovely smell to it.

Reactions: 11
Any good plug ins??
Sick of the febreze ones now and I can just never smell them
And candles that make the whole house smell?

Don't @ me, but I never quite got the whole scented candles, plugs, sticks, etc thing :censored: I hate the part of Ikea where they have all those candles and need to leave fast, it makes my throat scratch. And anytime I sniff a candle I can't stand it. Am I missing out by striving to make my home smell like "nothing"?

Reactions: 5
Don't @ me, but I never quite got the whole scented candles, plugs, sticks, etc thing :censored: I hate the part of Ikea where they have all those candles and need to leave fast, it makes my throat scratch. And anytime I sniff a candle I can't stand it. Am I missing out by striving to make my home smell like "nothing"?
If you don't like it then you don't like it. A lot of people like how these things make the house smell but as long as your house doesn't smell bad then no reason to make it uncomfortable for yourself. I like it but don't use plug ins and limit the use of candles cause I have cats and it's not good for them

Reactions: 10
Wow - you're doing your wedding at your house?! I love this idea. Hope everything goes well.
Any tips so far?
Thank you. Well the reception anyway, it’s more of a party.

I have everything prepared in boxes in my garage - glasses, cutlery, decorations etc. I’ve gone wooden and plastic so it can be thrown away rather than piles of dirty stuff everywhere.

It’s in the garden so it’s easy to keep tidy and clear up. Signs and labels for the food, toilet, garden games. I’ve bought ash trays for the few smokers. Lots of fairy lights and citronella candles. Buffet food and self serve drinks table.

I’ll let you know how it all goes!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Thank you. Well the reception anyway, it’s more of a party.

I have everything prepared in boxes in my garage - glasses, cutlery, decorations etc. I’ve gone wooden and plastic so it can be thrown away rather than piles of dirty stuff everywhere.

It’s in the garden so it’s easy to keep tidy and clear up. Signs and labels for the food, toilet, garden games. I’ve bought ash trays for the few smokers. Lots of fairy lights and citronella candles. Buffet food and self serve drinks table.

I’ll let you know how it all goes!
Congratulations!! 🍾 I can't wait to hear how it goes x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.