Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Loved this too! Thanks for sharing.

(The inevitable happened this weekend - I did too much housework and now I’m knackered. Zzzzz… )
The Organised Mum Method that someone suggested above she has a system where you do it throughout the week and have the weekends to yourself, this is all well and good, but if you procrastinate like me it’s easier said than done! 😂

Reactions: 7
When I bought my oven from Currys I got the monthly cover.. Included in that is a yearly valet but an engineer told me they don’t openly advertise it. You can book it online

• Heart
The Organised Mum Method that someone suggested above she has a system where you do it throughout the week and have the weekends to yourself, this is all well and good, but if you procrastinate like me it’s easier said than done! 😂
Yep, same. It's the procrastination!

The Flylady method has a specific day for tackling the things you've procrastinated about, but that requires more self-disciple than I think I can muster 😂

Can you tell I've thoroughly researched methods and strategies for getting tit done.... As a way of avoiding getting any tit done at all 🤣🤣

The other one I like is Unfuck Your Habitat - less of a regime and more of a strategy? See also: the Pomodoro Technique.

If I could start a new thread I'd be posting like, "Daily Anti-Procrastination Accountability Thread" so that I and hopefully others could post their tasks for the day in the morning and let everyone know how they're doing by the end of the day. I do so much better if someone else knows what I should have been doing!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Yep, same. It's the procrastination!

The Flylady method has a specific day for tackling the things you've procrastinated about, but that requires more self-disciple than I think I can muster 😂

Can you tell I've thoroughly researched methods and strategies for getting tit done.... As a way of avoiding getting any tit done at all 🤣🤣

The other one I like is Unfuck Your Habitat - less of a regime and more of a strategy? See also: the Pomodoro Technique.

If I could start a new thread I'd be posting like, "Daily Anti-Procrastination Accountability Thread" so that I and hopefully others could post their tasks for the day in the morning and let everyone know how they're doing by the end of the day. I do so much better if someone else knows what I should have been doing!
OMG I’ve read Flylady - sink! And I’ve got the book Unfuck your Habitat (yet to read it) and sorry I couldn’t get on with the tomato 🍅 Pomodoro habit! Name a book on productivity/cleaning I’ve either read it or heard about it. I know exactly what my game is….. by reading these books it’s almost as if I’m convincing myself that I’m doing it! 🙈

I will see if I can start a thread! And keep you informed 👍🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 6
OMG I’ve read Flylady - sink! And I’ve got the book Unfuck your Habitat (yet to read it) and sorry I couldn’t get on with the tomato 🍅 Pomodoro habit! Name a book on productivity/cleaning I’ve either read it or heard about it. I know exactly what my game is….. by reading these books it’s almost as if I’m convincing myself that I’m doing it! 🙈

I will see if I can start a thread! And keep you informed 👍🏼
Omg incredible - I'm not alone in my strategy-research strategy 🤣🖤

Confession: I too own the UFYH book (years old!) and I too have not read it!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Omg incredible - I'm not alone in my strategy-research strategy 🤣🖤

Confession: I too own the UFYH book (years old!) and I too have not read it!
So I’ve startled a thread and found my procrastinating twin flame! 🤣

Maybe we could set a goal to have it read by end of Sept? Just an idea ☺ All fellow procrastinators welcome.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Loving this new thread and currently reading all of your tips.

Mines are:

1. I buy quality home items. I used to buy a lot on economy stores but noticed that my home looked like a .99 cent store so I got rid of almost everything and started from almost 0. Nice curtains are really a game changer, white-creamy-graish colors only. Cotton/linen quality.

2. Avoid plastic at all cost. Wood, stainless steel, straw baskets, and glass only; specially in the kitchen.

3. I keep my kitchen clean specially the trash can. A good clean everyday to avoid nasty smells.

4. I have real plants around the house because I read they help a lot with air/oxygen quality at home.

5. I change my bed every 5 days but sometimes it takes 7 days. No more than this because you can feel a dirty bed.

6. Velvet hangers in the closet.

7. I try my best to clean the floors every 3 days if not, weekly is ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
So I’ve startled a thread and found my procrastinating twin flame! 🤣

Maybe we could set a goal to have it read by end of Sept? Just an idea ☺ All fellow procrastinators welcome.

Anti-Procrastination Bookclub?! I'm in!

Book report due at the end of September 😉👍

• Haha
Reactions: 2
5. I change my bed every 5 days but sometimes it takes 7 days. No more than this because you can feel a dirty bed.
I was going to ask how often everyone changes their bedding as I know some people think once a week is too much! Mine gets done once a week and in summer or if needs be I’ll do a second change.

I was going to ask how often everyone changes their bedding as I know some people think once a week is too much! Mine gets done once a week and in summer or if needs be I’ll do a second change.
I read an article about this once, it’s meant to be once a week if you’re in a couple and once a fortnight if you’re single but the average is a lot longer 🤢 definitely at least once a week for us and more if it’s hot

Reactions: 9
My worst nightmare is dating someone for a while, eventually going to their place for the first time, and their bed is unmade and dirty.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
My worst nightmare is dating someone for a while, eventually going to their place for the first time, and their bed is unmade and dirty.
My ex used to change the sheets every time I came to stay, and every couple of days when I was there.

When I wasn't there, he didn't change them. Not so bad when I visited every 2-3 weeks. Less good when in the first lockdown I didn't go there for 3 months 🤣🤦‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
My ex used to change the sheets every time I came to stay, and every couple of days when I was there.

When I wasn't there, he didn't change them. Not so bad when I visited every 2-3 weeks. Less good when in the first lockdown I didn't go there for 3 months 🤣🤦‍♀️
I’m glad you said he’s your ex.

Open windows every morning to air rooms out
But to be honest mine are always open come rain and shine
I just like the fresh air and noise of the window open instead of feeling shut up

Change bedding once a week
Maybe twice in summer and can hang out to dry

Hoover everyday
I have dyson cordless so easy to just lift off charge point and whizz around
Once a month I get Hetty out and do a big deep clean so to speak

Wash floors everyday !
I have to as I have white tiles all downstairs apart from the front room
Big mistake getting white!
Have grey laminate in front room but back door to garden which I hate
I use my shark steam mop and twice a week hands and knees with floor wipes to get in all the corners and knooks!

Wipe toilets everyday
Toilet wipes that are flushable and then toilet cleaner around the bowl

Clean the bathroom weekly deep clean and little wipe overs during the week and the floor

Dishwasher goes on every other day
Glasses I just wash up as I go with my dishmatic as they are what gets used the most!

Obviously empty bin when full

Washing I do everyday depending on what needs doing most the lights or darks

Hoover upstairs everyday too
Polish once a week upstairs
Every other day downstairs

Agree with velvet hangers

Regular sort out of cupboards
Clutter free cupboards and drawers etc means clutter free mind I find! 😂

Tidy as I go
Always put washing away the same day

Kitchen sides cleaned every morning then after each meal prep

Oven cleaned every six months
Kettle de-scaled once a month
Microwave cleaned inside as and when any splatter occurs
Dishwasher put on a clean cycle every month
Same for washing machine
Hoover cleaned and took apart hair pulled from roller etc every month
My motto is ‘don’t forget to clean the things that clean for you ‘ ❤
Fridge cleaned once a month

Lastly always tidy up before bed
Nothing worse then coming downstairs to mess and clutter
When my girls were younger always laid there uniforms out every night with underwear socks etc
These are just some of the things that help keep me sane as I have bad OCD
It’s not alway fun living with me but we appreciate it when we get lovely compliments when we have workmen friends and family etc over

Tidy house
Tidy mind ❤

Edited to add
Fresh flowers every week
Lillies are the best for looks and the smell literally scents my whole house
Cut the pollen out

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I'm another advocate of velvet hangers. A few years ago I threw out all the crappy plastic and wire hangers and replaced them with velvet ones.
Now all my clothes hang nicely and fit in the wardrobe much better.

Reactions: 16
keep seeing the ~drill a hole in your plastic bin and use the hoover to suction the bin bag to the inside~ trick on instagram but have yet to try it!

keep seeing the ~drill a hole in your plastic bin and use the hoover to suction the bin bag to the inside~ trick on instagram but have yet to try it!
Why would you drill a hole in it? If your bag leaks, or you want to stand some disinfectant in it for a bit, it'll just go everywhere? I'm confused 😂

Reactions: 11
What is even the purpose?
I’m guessing that if you put the bag on the bin and then put a vacuum over the hole the bin bag gets sucked down into the bin but I don’t really see the point of it? It’s not like bin bags don’t just stay in the bin already when you shake them out and put them there. I suppose it might help if you have a really narrow, awkward bin but is getting the bag into any bin really that much of a struggle? This feels like one of those weird ‘5-minute crafts’ click-baity type things that doesn’t really have a practical point.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.