Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StillLucilleBluth

VIP Member
My worst nightmare is dating someone for a while, eventually going to their place for the first time, and their bed is unmade and dirty.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

Moor123

LOVING this thread, things that help me are:
- Steam mop with ironing water in to stop any limescale
- Wilko floor wipes - white and blue packet, I use them everywhere!
- Making bed first thing, nothing better than coming out of the bathroom and the bed being made, its a really positive mental health tool as well.
- Opening windows and doors to get air in, makes such a difference
- Carpets cleaned annually, especially hallway, I may even change to 6 monthly if I can get a good deal
- Cleaning bathroom as I go but do floors weekly
- Harpic limescale tablets that you put down the toilet once a week - gamechanger!
- decluttering - half the time its 'mess' rather than dirt
- radiator covers etc finish a room, you can get decent 2nd hand ones

• Heart

Moongirl69

VIP Member
My home isn't glamorous but I like it clean and organised.
I do a big clean 1x weekly then it's easier to keep on top of the rest of the time.
Make my bed as soon as I get up but turn it down so it airs during the day.
Clean kitchen/bathroom surfaces daily and tidy up before bed.
Air the house with windows open (even in winter but only for an hour or so)
Have a regular declutter.
The Sunday Stylist on YouTube has great tips; my favourite is the simplest
"don't put it down, put it away".
It's also good to set a timer for eg 15 mins to do a job I've been putting off like cleaning out a cupboard. Put some music on and it flies in!

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Got guests coming tomorrow! (Unusual for me lol) what things make you go wow or at least "this is nice" when you walk through someone's door? I've got fresh wax melts at the ready, gonna have another vacuum just before bed, poof up sofa cushions. Probably sound real petty but I really like it when people say my house is nice.
I love it when people say this, we've put in so much work into our house and I am very house proud. I hope your visit goes well.

I always think, clear and bright entrance and then a soft cosy lounge is lovely. No clutter, a nice fresh reed diffuser, window open. Have the kettle ready and I always do a tea pot and have it all ready but I am sad like that.

I am hosting my own wedding at my house next week, I am already stressing about the house and garden. I have taken a week extra off work to get ready (plus all the usual wedding/honeymoon prep). I'm itching to get started but also do not want to start too early and have to redo some areas.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

pommynoir

VIP Member
Can anyone help me get rid of london limescale on my shower screen?
Washing up liquid and white vinegar. Sometimes I just use washing up liquid and water. I put it in one of those things where you can fill the handle with soap and the sponge is on the end for ease and use it to clean my bath / sink too they come up sparkling!

Also little tip - do not use pink stuff paste on screen or near the hinges on the screen it eroded mine before and caused the whole screen to fall off and smash over the bathroom

• Wow
  • Heart

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I'm another advocate of velvet hangers. A few years ago I threw out all the crappy plastic and wire hangers and replaced them with velvet ones.
Now all my clothes hang nicely and fit in the wardrobe much better.

Silverback

VIP Member
Reporting back that the Henry hoover is the best hoover ever! He dealt with all the pet hair like it was nothing and the suction is insane. My son likes doing the hoovering as well as the hoover has a smiley face!

• Heart

harveydean

VIP Member
Love this thread! I de clutter regularly- if I want to buy something I always question if I want to dust it. Usually I don’t!

My style is minimalist- white with a couple of accent colours which feed through the house. Lots of plants and candles too, and I find mirrors throw the light around and make a room look bigger.

Any tips on keeping a hallway clear? I have a bad habit of throwing my shoes off at the front door. I have a shoe rack and box but I’m still in the habit and it looks awful!

• Heart

CatCafe234

VIP Member
Guys, run don’t walk to “mountainrugcleaning” on IG - guy cleaning filthy rugs and it’s sooo satisfying!
Over lockdown, I developed a bit of an addiction to rug, car and swimming pool cleaning videos, and also videos of people jet-washing driveways and stuff. There’s just something so satisfying about watching something really filthy get cleaned really well.

Reactions: 15

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
appreciating all these tips as i'm moving out soon! into a studio apartment so not as easy to shut things away but i'm hoping will give me more of a reason to keep on top of things. i've picked a few things up from my mum though that might be helpful:
  • using smol products (surface spray, dishwasher tabs etc) are eco friendly and take up so much less space in the cupboard.
  • putting self adhesive hooks on the inside of cupboard doors to help stay organised / give things a home. the peg bag lives under our sink.
  • ingredient prep instead of meal prep. still saves time but means i'm not bored of exactly the same thing for days in a row.
  • using an electric steam diffuser with fragrance oils over a candle or reed diffuser. i feel like the scent travels better and it's more cost effective. i feel like i'm giving away a proper secret but on craftovator they sell designer inspired oils like the white company, neom, jo malone etc and popular perfumes. less than £2 each for 10ml and cheaper in larger sizes. they do zoflora scents if you want the variety without a cupboard full too, and have all the kit needed for reed diffuser making!

Last edited:
  • Heart

CatCafe234

VIP Member
No I keep buying it, forgetting I don’t love it. It doesn’t seem to clean my floors very well. I had a stage where I was a wee bit obsessed with Fabulosa but we won’t go into that will we @Lucyxxxx 😂😂

Yesterday I added a bit of fairy to my mop bucket and it had my floors gleaming, not sure how good it is for the laminate though. (Rented apartment I’ll worry about that later).
Zoflora isn’t a detergent so it doesn’t clean - it just disinfects but for most users it won’t even do that effectively because so few people seem to know about contact time, you can’t just spray and wipe. You generally have to leave a disinfectant on a surface for a few minutes to get proper disinfection.

I use washing up liquid for cleaning and degreasing in the kitchen and find it ok, you’re more likely to damage laminate by having your mop too wet rather than using a squirt of washing up liquid (although most laminate in rented houses is paper thin so landlords get what they deserve, imho). Washing up liquid usually degreases really well so you might find the floors get a bit slick just because they’re so grease-free, but it’s not like they don’t get messed up again relatively quickly …

As for Fabulosa, I don’t like it 🤢 I’ve tried a few as it’s so cheap and readily available but to me all of the disinfectants have a real undertone of public lavatory. I’d rather use the original Dettol. Also I think if you want your house to smell like Rainbow Drops or Parma Violets then there’s something not right with you 😜

• Haha
  • Heart

oksobasically

This my favourite zoflora! Often find it in poundworld/poundland!
I also love this one (and can’t stand any other lol)
This thread has truly inspired me to make changes to enjoy my home more, I’ve probably done more cleaning and clearing since this thread started than the rest of 2022 put together! ❤

Its_Me

VIP Member
What's the point of having one then 😂😂
Because she doesn’t follow us around the house tidying up after everyone, making beds every morning, wiping down the kitchen sides after use, poofing cushions, putting clothes away, putting bleach down the toilets every night, emptying dishwasher every day it’s fucking non stop man and I like a clean and tidy house. I’m very grateful for her and she does a lot of the big jobs for me but there’s always something to do 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart

Its_Me

VIP Member
I’ve got a little tip thats not so much about a glamorous home but you’ll especially appreciate it you’ve got nice plates or cutlery. Silicone spatula to scrape your plates before you wash up or pop in the dishwasher. It gets any scraps clean off so saves clogging and doesn’t scratch your plates or cutlery.

• Heart

whoareyouu

VIP Member
I’ll just say something re our tendencies to save things for the perfect occasion etc

my granny died with a mink coat in her wardrobe that was entirely moth eaten. She never felt worthy of wearing it. Felt it would be wasted on her. And instead it disintegrated. Wouldn’t it have been better off being worn to death?!

or my mum who is in intensive care right now fighting for her life, and I saw tonight that she has shoes with tags still on, that she didn’t want to wear until she’d fully worn out her near destroyed current pair.

no ”thing” is so precious that we should protect it to out-live us
Thinking of you and your Mum. Life is the special occasion, wear the item and light that candle :)

• Heart