Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can all of you share any tips you have about how to make your home smell amazing? I want people to walk in and their first thought to be 'it smells lovely in here'
Essential oil diffuser, one of the plug in ones. And good quality oils. I've a selection of them ranging from very cheap to ones more expensive and the cheap ones don't work as well.

Reactions: 2
Essential oil diffuser, one of the plug in ones. And good quality oils. I've a selection of them ranging from very cheap to ones more expensive and the cheap ones don't work as well.
If you can find any that are worthwhile and don't cost more than my house give me the heads up please 🙏

Reactions: 2
oh I’ll share two of my tips.

1. I am a total snob for fairy liquid, the only thing that’s ever come close imo is Lidls own brand washing up liquid in a silver coloured bottle. I always have a spare spray bottle that I squirt fairy soap into and then water down just enough that it won’t clog the spray bottle. I don’t have a dishwasher so I spritz the washing up before I wash rather than keep applying it to the sponge or filling up the sink. If I’ve cooked and I want to eat before washing up it breaks everything down whilst I have my meal and saves the whole “soaking” pots/pans/trays drama. It also stops the flies from gathering and speeds up my washing time. I run a half sink of water so I can change it if I need to, wet the sponge and I can just start scrubbing, dip in the water or run under the tap, onto the drying rack. Bonus tip: fairy water kills wasps.edited to add: I literally spray everything as soon as it’s sitting waiting to be washed, i can’t stand scrubbing dried on food, dried on milk to glasses etc it stops all the drama of cleaning all that off

2. the secret to good whites is soaking them, powder detergent and bleach tablets. Bleach tablets don’t smell as strong as toilet bleach and you can’t tell after you’ve washed them. Get a nice big bucket (I have an old big mayonnaise tub from a restaurant) measure out the powder - you don’t need as much as you think double check the amount for the brand you buy. Chuck that and two bleach tablets in the bucket and fill with warm water, dunk all your whites in. I sacrificed a spare potato masher to stirr everything through so I don’t get everything all over my hands (it’ll dry your hands out) and then leave it for a few hours, you can leave it overnight. Drain the water and then put it on a hot wash, same again just detergent and bleach tablets with some fabric softener and smelly beads. You will have some sparkling whites!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Loving all the tips 🤩 I’m going to try the whites one tomorrow!

Also, thank you to whoever recommended black harpic toilet bleach and an old knife to scrape limescale! My toilet is sparkling again ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I spent most of my 4 days off last week gutting my house from top to bottom.
It was so therapeutic. Ive got my candles going in the evening now that it's darker and it feels so cosy.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Does anyone have advice on painting radiators please? I’m very tempted to paint mine in an attempt to freshen up my home, but saw someone mention on this thread that it can be tricky, Thanks!!

Reactions: 1
Does anyone have advice on painting radiators please? I’m very tempted to paint mine in an attempt to freshen up my home, but saw someone mention on this thread that it can be tricky, Thanks!!
Give them a good clean, buy the correct paint. If you are changing colours, the first coat doesn't look great but they the second it looks great.

Reactions: 5
Not tricky at all. Just buy eggshell paint as it stays white longer. Gloss will turn yellow. Unless you are painting a completely different collour

Reactions: 6
It’s not tricky at all just take your time and make sure to run paint brush horizontally along the bottom of the radiator when your finished to catch any drips/stop them from forming

has anyone got any tips for cleaning velvet sofa cushion covers? I’ve let my brother and his mate stay the night and just been told the mate has been sick on my floor, and whilst there is no sick on the sofa it smells a bit like it in the cushions 🙃

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Sad
has anyone got any tips for cleaning velvet sofa cushion covers? I’ve let my brother and his mate stay the night and just been told the mate has been sick on my floor, and whilst there is no sick on the sofa it smells a bit like it in the cushions 🙃
I saw a hack to use glass cleaner on delicate sofa fabrics (I have that microfibre suede) and it worked on mine, maybe do a spot test somewhere inconspicuous first and if it works then hooray!
I'd be really pissed off at the brother though, have they made any attempt to clean it up?

Reactions: 7
tip: get bro and bro’s mate to pay for a professional clean!!!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Thank you both! I got there and they’d actually done a really good job of cleaning and it didn’t smell like sick. They’ve brought a fabric cleaner for me and a new sheet because there was sick on the old one and offered to pay for a clean. I’ll try the glass cleaner for general cleans tho that sounds good

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thank you both! I got there and they’d actually done a really good job of cleaning and it didn’t smell like sick. They’ve brought a fabric cleaner for me and a new sheet because there was sick on the old one and offered to pay for a clean. I’ll try the glass cleaner for general cleans tho that sounds good
Glad to hear it wasn't just left for you to deal with as often happens in these scenarios!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.