Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you tried Blue harpic?
I have, and Domestos Zero (which I prefer for loos etc) and it makes a slight improvement but doesnt get rid completely. Or certainly not when I do it!

It's not appallingly bad (I saw a house near here for sale and the shower screen was white with scale! It's nowhere near that) but it is irritating. The curse of being a perfectionist is that I'm disappointed constantly in everything.

It's like my window vacuum. It's good, but I still seem to end up with 'lines' in the windows. Or watermarks (from the hard water). And then I just get disappointed by the fact none of it looks perfect!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have some crappy tips but they help me.

Always leave your bathroom window open even just a crack. Stops damp and just generally dries stuff out.
Buy bumper packs of toilet roll in one go as cheaper and so annoying buying it constsntly.

Same with washing up liq. Buy huge bottle and use a tiny amount each time. Goes a long way.

When pouring oil for cooking use a cap full from the bottle. Its a good measure for most things, salads, frying and roasting rather than using unnecessary amounts.

Always keep spare tea towels and large old bath towels for unexpected floods.

And finally...headache sufferers..get the dentist to fit you a teeth guard. Miraculous cure!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
My 19 year old sister has moved into her second rented place. Still trying to figure things out 🤪 . She doesn't have any teaspoons yet and only one cup.

How many towels does someone really need? I'm trying to just do two of everything for her. Bed sheets, quilt cover, pillowcase pairs. My usual is one in the wash/ drying + one in use. Is this okay? Am I being too stingy?

Reactions: 6
My 19 year old sister has moved into her second rented place. Still trying to figure things out 🤪 . She doesn't have any teaspoons yet and only one cup.

How many towels does someone really need? I'm trying to just do two of everything for her. Bed sheets, quilt cover, pillowcases pairs. My usual is one in the wash/ drying + one in use. Is this okay?
I’d say so. When I was at uni I’d have quite a few hand/smaller towels and just a couple of big ones. I’d use the small ones to dry off after a shower then put it round my hair then wrap up in the big one when I was 90% dry. I’d frequently wash the little ones, the big ones would hardly get wet so last a few showers.
Saves on trying to dry big towels without a tumble dryer or much space.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

How many towels does someone really need? I'm trying to just do two of everything for her. Bed sheets, quilt cover, pillowcases pairs. My usual is one in the wash/ drying + one in use. Is this okay?
My sister is married… will only buy two of everything cos it’s only her and her hubby. She buys expensive stuff as well so maybe she’s into something.

I have two sets of everything and put them into storage bags. So weekly I’ll swop all the bedding and towels over.

Use something like this

In each bag put:
Pillowcases
Duvet cover
Sheet
Blanket
Bath sheet
Bath towel
Hand towel x 2
Tea towels x 2

Just makes it easier for her. Maybe have a smaller bag with some spares inside just incase someone stays etc.

Maybe a caddy with cleaning products. Wilko and home bargains seem to be the cheapest. Speaking of wilko their towels are lovely. Also if she’s into fake tan etc go with dark colours for towels like black, navy, dark green etc.

Best of luck to her in her flat! X

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Thank you for the replies! Never thought to store everything together instead of random drawers and that really does make it a lot easier .

• Heart
Thank you for the replies! Never thought to store everything together instead of random drawers and that really does make it a lot easier .
Honestly it really makes it much easier. Also put a bath mat into each bag. Can’t remember if that was on my list

It can be quiet fun as well. I also either put lenor unstoppable or fairy scent booster beads in organza bags. Drop them into the bags as well to keep them fresh.

Also put the organza bags with thr scent beads into cushions and hang behind curtains just to make everywhere smell fresh. Info keep them away from heat like the radiators as well.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My rug is white fur and has a few stains on it from drinks we had the other week - does anyone have any tips on how to clean? I was thinking to steep it in the bath. Any other tips?

My rug is white fur and has a few stains on it from drinks we had the other week - does anyone have any tips on how to clean? I was thinking to steep it in the bath. Any other tips?
Apparently shaving foam is supposed to help. I’ve not tried it myself though

Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any recommendations for super fluffy nice quality (but not white company price) towels? I’ve seen a fair few influencers recommending ‘Hampton & Astley’ but I never believe anything they recommend 😂

• Heart
Does anyone have any recommendations for super fluffy nice quality (but not white company price) towels? I’ve seen a fair few influencers recommending ‘Hampton & Astley’ but I never believe anything they recommend 😂
I've got some Egyptian cotton ones from I think Next. Not really pricey. Lovely and soft and fluffy.

Mine are from primark and I prefer them to my white company ones. Cheap enough that if you don’t like them you can use them for spares 😂💖

the only things I love from the white company are the mini perfumes which I keep in my handbag and I got some pyjamas from them on a flight which were SO cozy I took them with me like the knacker I am 😂😂

Lots of people recommended Primark towels, I bought some Christy white towels that were seconds, 5 years later they are still like new despite regularly having makeup and fake tan on them.

Reactions: 4
I second Christy towels. Ive had some bath sheets for 14 years! TK Maxx sometimes has them.
Primark ones are good too.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.