Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a diptyque mini candle in the scent “roses” and the smell was soooo incredibly strong. I really want to get more and try some new scents! Has anyone tried “Oud”? It sounds lovely
I had the Baies and wasn't keen on the smell even though that one is one of the most popular ones. Best thing to do (if you can) is pop into a SpackNK and have a smell of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had the Baies and wasn't keen on the smell even though that one is one of the most popular ones. Best thing to do (if you can) is pop into a SpackNK and have a smell of them.
The same thing happened to me, but with jo malone pomegranate noir 😂 I hated it lol. Peony and blush suede however 😍😍😍

I’m not keen on Baies either, but Feu de Bois is an incredible scent for Autumn and Winter!! It’s woody and smoky so might not be to everyone’s taste but I love it, would defo rebuy.

Reactions: 1
Ideas for a small front garden? Child friendly?
Some clusters of pots, get the kids to plant bulbs now and they'll bloom in Spring
Poundstretchers do nice pots that hang over fences etc for about £1 each, and you can get packets of bulbs/seeds in there too.
Keep an eye on your local facebook marketplace at this time of year for people having clear outs of unwanted furniture etc. Garden centres are already selling off furniture, chimineas and fire-pits but you'll still get plenty of use out of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I haven't read the entire thread yet (it's awesome though) but I've started using dishwashing liquid on my shower screens and it's amazing! I tried the dishwasher tablet on the oven door glass 'hack' and it was a massive fail. I've got the Bissell cross wave as my entire house is almost tiled (I live in Australia in an older style house) and i have started to add a drop of cleaning vinegar to the tank with hot water instead of buying the expensive solution.

I'm originally from England so I love reading about all the products you guys are using even though I can't buy most of them here! Thinking about trying Zoflora but it's really exxy here :(

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm originally from England so I love reading about all the products you guys are using even though I can't buy most of them here! Thinking about trying Zoflora but it's really exxy here :(
To be fair, Zoflora has got really expensive here too (probably not as dear as it is for you, but still …) I’m not an obsessive and don’t do any of the daft stuff you see online - like pouring it on a sanitary towel and sticking it to the back of a radiator or burning it in an oil burner - but I do like it for disinfecting. Not too long ago, you could buy it direct from Thornton and Ross and it was quite economical to buy a dozen or so bottles at a time. Now you can’t do that, it’s shot up massively in price, there’s loads of fancy products like sprays, aerosols and wipes and the range of scents has reduced a lot. It seems like such a mis-step given how popular it’s become.

Reactions: 7
To be fair, Zoflora has got really expensive here too (probably not as dear as it is for you, but still …) I’m not an obsessive and don’t do any of the daft stuff you see online - like pouring it on a sanitary towel and sticking it to the back of a radiator or burning it in an oil burner - but I do like it for disinfecting. Not too long ago, you could buy it direct from Thornton and Ross and it was quite economical to buy a dozen or so bottles at a time. Now you can’t do that, it’s shot up massively in price, there’s loads of fancy products like sprays, aerosols and wipes and the range of scents has reduced a lot. It seems like such a mis-step given how popular it’s become.
So after commenting on this thread I actually found Zoflora in my local Woolworths (which unfortunately isn't the same as the Woolworths we remember and love from England, it's just one of the big 3 supermarkets over here). It cost me almost 6 dollars which I actually didn't think was too bad. I'm looking forward to trying it. I've been using a product over here called Diggers Lavender metho which smells amazing and the smell lingers for days, which costs 6 bucks for 1 bottle so if the Zoflora is comparable I will defo switch! We have a store over here called The Reject Shop which started stocking Tesco products last year and I think the pure novelty of buying it suckered me in, but they seem to have stopped selling the entire range now :( it's funny what you miss from home. I would kill to have a browse down the cleaning aisle in sainsburys or asda!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t buy it anymore because of our cats but can’t you get zaflora in the poundshop anymore? They used to stock loads.

I haven't read the entire thread yet (it's awesome though) but I've started using dishwashing liquid on my shower screens and it's amazing! I tried the dishwasher tablet on the oven door glass 'hack' and it was a massive fail. I've got the Bissell cross wave as my entire house is almost tiled (I live in Australia in an older style house) and i have started to add a drop of cleaning vinegar to the tank with hot water instead of buying the expensive solution.

What part of australia are you in? I know a few shops in Victoria that sell zoflora and other English bits as decent prices x

Same, I don't see the hype and too strong for me. I like light airy scents myself. Nothing overpowering.
I like some of the scents but some are revolting. When you use it correctly and really dilute it then it’s generally not that strong (although some of the scents are truly vile …) but some people online use truly insane amounts of neat Zoflora in really inappropriate ways which is very, very strange.

Reactions: 7
Am I the only person who doesn't like zoflora?
No I keep buying it, forgetting I don’t love it. It doesn’t seem to clean my floors very well. I had a stage where I was a wee bit obsessed with Fabulosa but we won’t go into that will we @Lucyxxxx 😂😂

Yesterday I added a bit of fairy to my mop bucket and it had my floors gleaming, not sure how good it is for the laminate though. (Rented apartment I’ll worry about that later).

• Haha
Reactions: 8
No I keep buying it, forgetting I don’t love it. It doesn’t seem to clean my floors very well. I had a stage where I was a wee bit obsessed with Fabulosa but we won’t go into that will we @Lucyxxxx 😂😂

Yesterday I added a bit of fairy to my mop bucket and it had my floors gleaming, not sure how good it is for the laminate though. (Rented apartment I’ll worry about that later).
tit how could I forget your Fabulosa incident 😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1

Zoflora isn’t a detergent so it doesn’t clean - it just disinfects but for most users it won’t even do that effectively because so few people seem to know about contact time, you can’t just spray and wipe. You generally have to leave a disinfectant on a surface for a few minutes to get proper disinfection.

I use washing up liquid for cleaning and degreasing in the kitchen and find it ok, you’re more likely to damage laminate by having your mop too wet rather than using a squirt of washing up liquid (although most laminate in rented houses is paper thin so landlords get what they deserve, imho). Washing up liquid usually degreases really well so you might find the floors get a bit slick just because they’re so grease-free, but it’s not like they don’t get messed up again relatively quickly …

As for Fabulosa, I don’t like it 🤢 I’ve tried a few as it’s so cheap and readily available but to me all of the disinfectants have a real undertone of public lavatory. I’d rather use the original Dettol. Also I think if you want your house to smell like Rainbow Drops or Parma Violets then there’s something not right with you 😜

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Zoflora isn’t a detergent so it doesn’t clean - it just disinfects but for most users it won’t even do that effectively because so few people seem to know about contact time, you can’t just spray and wipe. You generally have to leave a disinfectant on a surface for a few minutes to get proper disinfection.
I never knew this! I only use it for my floors and down the sinks but I will definitely change now. Thank you!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.