Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Dirtyhorseshoes

VIP Member
The murder of Joanna Yates by her neighbour. I just found the whole thing heartbreaking especially as her body was found on Xmas day by dog walkers. Her parents and boyfriend remained so dignified and stoic throughout the whole ordeal and then there was the poor landlord who was getting the finger pointed at him because 'he looked the type' 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 21

Onthehop

VIP Member
In the run up to Christmas, a woman fell while getting the Christmas decorations from the loft. She died in front of her husband and children.

It was quite a few years ago now but I always think of that poor woman and her family at this time of year. Heartbreaking.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

Cloak

VIP Member
In the last few years I think, there was a woman staying alone in a holiday home. She woke up in the middle of the night to go to the loo, then for reasons unknown, maybe it was dark and she was a bit disorientated, instead of going back to bed she ended up in some sort of airing/storage cupboard and got locked inside it, the door handle broke off. There was evidence of her clawing at the wall to try and get out, I think they found her a week after. Horrific

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 20

Patsy Stone

Chatty Member
I really need to stop reading these before I go to bed 😩

One that has stuck with me was Christopher Foster. Not far from my hometown. He shot his wife and daughter at home after returning from a friends BBQ. He even killed all their horses and dogs. They lived in a gated mansion and when he shot them he placed a horse box in front of their gated entrance and blew out the tyres so that no one could enter to try and help. He then set the whole place on fire and shot himself. Think it came out afterwards he was in a huge amount of debt so decided they should all die rather than stop having their lavish lifestyle. How anyone could kill their family and pets I just can’t comprehend

• Sad
  • Wow

hiya_hun

VIP Member
the story of a woman in her 30s leaving her house with her boxer dog inside and didn't go back for months. The body of the dog was found only because the neighbours reported a smell. The dog would of died over two painful weeks!! it had been so starving all the mop buckets and bowls had been upturned where the dog had been desperately trying to get food and water.

Still knocks me sick to this day!!! Will never forget it!

I think the woman might of been a solicitor too !!

• Sad
  • Angry

AnderbeauJohnson

VIP Member
I remember the 7/7 bombings too, I was working in Liverpool at the time - did they not announce just earlier that day/week that we had won the Olympic bid for 2012? That morning on Radio 1 they kept saying there had been an outrage on the tube, but they kept saying that often you started to get suspicious. Again, the internet was just not at our disposal then, as it is now!
I was still living at home and my mum was watching Sky News and told me that there was an 'incident on the tube' but that it was 'fine' because it was just a power outage so nobody would be hurt before everything became clearer. I also remember the horrible ticker tape that they had to have going of things such as 'mum, I'm safe, Becky M' because mobile signals were totally jammed.

I remember there was one guy who managed to phone his mum to say that he'd survived the explosion at Edgware Road and that he was safe and he was going to get the bus instead, only to die in the explosion in Tavistock Square

• Sad

User name taken

VIP Member
The killing of Breck Bednar in 2014 has always stuck with me. He was 14 years old and into gaming, he was groomed online by a 19 year old computer engineer, who after talking online for a few months, met up and Breck was raped and murdered. I have three teenage boys who are into gaming and I grill them quite a bit when they are cagey about who they are meeting (cagey because it's a girl).

The other one was the murder of Katie Rackliff in 1992, I was 18 at the time. She was walking home from a nightclub in Camberley called Ragamuffins which I used to go to at the same time. She was found stabbed to death and her genitalia had been mutilated. They were looking for a man that had been seen at the time, in all the pubs and clubs in the area they had pictures if this guy. Four years later they caught the killer, Sharon Carr, who was 12 at the time of the murder, she is Britain's youngest female killer.

• Wow
  • Sad

roobs21

I don’t remember the full details of this story but I remember reading about it not long after I’d had my own baby 6 years ago and I had nightmares about it for weeks. Nearly every time I drifted off I would wake up covered in sweat and panic about it…the thought of how much the baby in the story would have suffered.

This happened in America but there were two or three kids, one of which was a baby and the other(s?) very young. I think the kids were being looked after by a relative who popped out to get dinner. The elder child (who I think was still very young) decided to try and help the baby warm up by putting the poor thing in the oven and then couldn’t get it out as the oven was too hot. It still horrifies me to this day.

• Wow
  • Sad

Giggling Squid

VIP Member
Corrie McKeague is another one I wonder about. Did he end up in the tip? Did he even get in the bin? Such a strange one, disappearing from a dead end

Reactions: 19

avabella

VIP Member
In the lead up to Christmas, I always think about the lady who was stabbed to death whilst at work on the shop floor in Aldi in Skipton. It was a few days before Christmas and she had a young daughter
You've just reminded me of the incident in Glasgow where the bin lorry lost control and went into the crowds of Christmas shoppers. I'm almost sure there was a mother and daughter both killed.

• Sad
Rachel Nickell's murder in 1992.

Michael Ryan in Hungerford was so shocking as mass shootings just don't happen here.

That sick f*ck Mick Philpott who killed his kids in a house fire. Seeing their little faces in a photo montage was so upsetting. They had their whole lives ahead of them and he killed them for the insurance money.

• Sad

Lalala17

This is quite a recent one but it haunted me. Dad, 2 children and the family dog were killed in front of the mum by a drunk driver when they were out walking in the late district. I have 2 children and the thought of going on a day out and coming home alone is just too much to bare. I think of her often and hope she is doing ok. :(

• Sad
  • Heart

Lanavalentine

VIP Member
This thread makes for sad reading, but I’m also touched at how many of us think about so many victims regularly. It’s weirdly nice to think that so many people care about the victims of terrible crimes, and their families, many years after the media coverage stops.

For me, pretty much all stories that stayed with me have been mentioned already. I think sometimes when you’re around the age of the victim/s or you have something in common with them, or your family does, it just hits home a lot more, especially cases you first heard about in childhood.

James Bulger was the first big case I can remember, because it prompted my mum to give my siblings and I a huge talk on staying safe when out and about with her. I remember she went back to using reins (no judgement - it was the early 90s and she had a lot of kids to supervise!) on my younger brother when we were in town for a while. I can remember her being visibly upset by it all - it had such a huge impact on her, which in turn impacted me.

Similarly, Dunblane had a big impact on me because we talked about it a lot at school. I was in year 6 and I remember we had a big assembly about it, generally a lot of children were really fearful and we had to have a lot of assurance.

Another one was Stephen Lawrence, because I think as a white person that was one of my first understanding of racism at some level. I remember asking my mum a lot of questions about the case and asking to read all the news articles in my grandparent’s papers.

In more recent years, I think about Grace Milane a lot. She was murdered by a man who claimed it was consensual rough sex gone too far. I followed the changes in law around the “rough sex defence” with a lot of anger and grief for Grace and the other women who’s murderers got away with their crimes due to this defence. Just horrible.

• Heart

AlanBanan

VIP Member
9/11. My husband and I had just flown to the US for the holiday of a lifetime.
We woke up in our hotel, and put on the news. First thing we heard was that all flights to and from the US are cancelled. Scary.
We found an Internet cafe and contacted work and friends and said we were ok.
We had been due to be in New York that weekend, but I had changed our flights last minute.
Otherwise we would have been flying out of New York that morning.
I hadn't told our friends and family, they all thought we were on one of those flights.
I just recall my BIL crying down the phone, thinking we were dead....
9/11 was terrifying. My uncle lives in Queens and was working in a bar near the towers and when it happened my mam was trying to get him to answer the phone to see if he was alright and what was going on and when he answered he said there was bodies just dropping like balloons. He wasn’t the better for it for months and had a problem with drink because of it.

• Sad
  • Heart

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
The London bombings in 2007 will always stay with me. I was in a lesson at secondary school, and the news started to spread around. I was so so scared, because I was sure my Dad was at work in Westminster. I remember ringing and ringing his mobile and the house phone, only to have woken him up because he was in fact on night shift. The relief I felt was unreal, but as was the sadness I felt for all those who lost a loved one.
My friend was working in London at the time and the bus in Tavistock Square was the one she got to work every morning.

That morning her alarm didn't go off and she slept in.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
A more recent story I often find myself thinking is of Nora Quoirin who disappeared and subsequently died in the Malaysian jungle in 2019. It was such an awful story and I’m still convinced she went out there on her own and wasn’t seen by anyone before she was found dead. I’m positive there’s more to the story that has either been covered up or missed by poor investigative practices.

• Sad

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Ciaran Morris, 2 week old premature baby who died after his pram was struck by a car .
Such a tragic and upsetting story.

• Sad