Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

areuboredyet

the death of Conrad Roy. aka the 'texting suicide case'. his girlfriend was convicted of his manslaughter after sending texts encouraging him to commit suicide (knowing he was struggling with depression & anxiety.) on their final phone call she ordered Conrad to get back into his truck, which was filling with carbon monoxide, after he got out saying he was scared to go ahead with it.
my heart shattered for the poor boy after reading the messages she sent. such a cruel human. she was released from prison last year after serving only 11 months.

also fell down a rabbit hole on Annette Herfkens after seeing this video! the sole survivor of a plane crash in the Vietnamese jungle, 1992. her fiance who surprised her with the trip died on impact, and she spent 8 days alone, surrounded by bodies, and seriously injured before being rescued. she survived on rainwater collected in sponges from the planes insulation.
in 2006 she revisited the crash site and met her rescuers. she also learnt that a helicopter was sent out to rescue her, but that too crashed into the jungle killing all 8 onboard..
i can't even begin to imagine how she felt, and what she saw during that week. such a powerful & inspiring woman.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16

Raininvain

VIP Member
Gareth Williams. He was a mathematician for GCHQ who was on secondment to MI6. He was found zipped up in a bag padlocked from the outside.

I think it was eventually concluded that from a police investigation it was an accident even though the coroner said it was virtually impossible for him to have locked himself inside the bag. I think it has also been suggested that there was Russian interference.
When this was going on, someone got a yoga expert, a man of the same build to try and lock himself in the same bag from the inside. He couldn't do it. Obviously Gareth was murdered, I don't know how anyone could say it was an accident.

Hopping12

One that stuck with me happened in 2011. A local man (I use the term loosely) beat his one month old baby in what they called “a murderous attack”. Poor little mite was left with fractured ribs and a punctured lung, all because the baby weed on him.

My baby was a couple of days younger than the baby in question. And him and his wife were in the same anti-natal class as me, and I remember how odd he was then and his wife was really embarrassed by him. He would ask the most bizarre inappropriate questions to the midwife.... like catching the baby With goal keeper gloves... and how far it would land if it fell out and he had to Catch it.

We felt physically sick when we found out. The local community was like a lynch mob and there was riots outside the house he was hiding in after.

• Sad
  • Sick

Wightgirl

VIP Member
James Bulger. I wish I’d never read the details of the case. Makes me feel sick and upset every time a story pops up about one of those evil bastards.

• Sad

thaliamay

Chatty Member
One that sticks with me is the bin lorry crashing into & killing people, in George Square (Glasgow) it was 2 or 3 days before Christmas. To read of the families of the victims was devastating what they were facing at such a time of year.
I initially felt sorry for the driver until finding out he shouldn't have been working in the first place, he hadn't declared issues which mightve prevented what happened.

lizzolyn

VIP Member

An irish woman named Sherry Campbell choked on a piece of meat and died late at night after her parents went to bed, she was only 29 and an only child, her poor parents found her in the kitchen in the early hours of the morning. I remember stumbling across this story a few years ago and always remembering it because I have a fear of choking.

I'm quite a fast eater and sometimes would have very small choking incidents until one time I was home alone eating something and then it getting stuck; I remember dashing round frantically and running into the backyard to get my neighbours help feeling I was going to pass out at any moment when I managed to hock the piece of food up. From then on I've always been careful to chew my food and not to take massive bites.

You hardly hear people dying this way but it's coming across stories like this make you reevaluate even something as small as how you chew and eat your food.

• Sad

Herefortheteeeee

A few years ago there was a family who were killed in an arson attack in Manchester a few days before Christmas. The mum survived but had terrible inquiries and in was in hospital for months, I don’t think she even attended their funerals. It was so awful and for some reason I couldn’t get them out of my head for ages afterwards.
I think the mother passed away. She will be with her babies now. I truly believe that.

I remember that. It was harrowing thinking of her having to deal with that
I don’t think she ever woke up so didn’t have to, thank goodness. As a mother, that is honestly my worst nightmare.

• Heart
  • Sad

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
The release of Nelson Mandela from prison after 27 year captivity. It happened in 1990 3 years before I was born, but it captivated my home country of South Africa for a generation

Then of course there was 9/11. I was 8 and at school learning maths when the teacher was called away, and we were all led into the assembly room to watch the shocking events as they unfolded - a bit of hard for 8 year olds but still memorable

• Wow
  • Sad

HelloStereo

VIP Member
Gareth Williams. He was a mathematician for GCHQ who was on secondment to MI6. He was found zipped up in a bag padlocked from the outside.

I think it was eventually concluded that from a police investigation it was an accident even though the coroner said it was virtually impossible for him to have locked himself inside the bag. I think it has also been suggested that there was Russian interference.

• Wow
Reactions: 15

lemonlime

VIP Member
Death of Princess Diana. The pictures of the crushed car remains clear as day in my mind.

• Sad

eggbutty

The one where 4 people sadly died on the Thunder River Rapids ride at Dreamworld Australia. It was in 2015/ 16 I think.

Their raft flipped over when it hit a stationary one on the conveyor belt. They were thrown out onto the belt, 2 got crushed by the mechanism and 2 drowned.
What makes it worse is the children managed to get out and witnessed their parents die 😢

• Sad
  • Wow

Emmadale

VIP Member
I think I speak for many others when I say how the case of poor little Arthur will stay with many for a long time. I tried to avoid the details but sometimes couldn’t. The details and the tragedy just got worse and worse. That poor little boy. RIEP Arthur 💙💙💙💙💙💙

• Heart

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
I think the mother passed away. She will be with her babies now. I truly believe that.

I don’t think she ever woke up so didn’t have to, thank goodness. As a mother, that is honestly my worst nightmare.
If its the case I'm thinking of sadly she did wake but succumbed to her injuries about a year later I think

• Sad

I’mThankyou_

VIP Member
The stories that have always stuck with me..

Sally Clarke, she was found guilty of the death of her two sons, which later transpired both her sons actually passed away from SIDS. She worked for the same firm as my Auntie and I remember us following the story as a family, she's never really left my mind, when I had my first son I would think of her often as I anxiously checked on my baby several times throughout the night.

7/7 Bombings, I was at the orthodontist having my braces tightened and the news alert came over the radio and we were all just frozen still.

Manchester Arena Attacks will always haunt me, not only because I'm a Mancunian but I was working the burns ICU unit at the receiving hospital that week & the sights will never leave me.
Along with the Walkden house fire, it was a pleasure to be able to take care of not only Michelle but her family too and support them as they navigated the evil that tore apart their family. I think of them often & hope they continue to navigate their grief as graciously as they have done.

• Heart
  • Sad

FoksiOska

VIP Member
The death of PC Andrew Harper a couple of years ago and particularly the cause of his death 😞 it just makes me so sick and so angry especially seeing the faces of the three gutter rat oxygen thieves who caused it. He had such a kind looking face and was the same age as me. And then when it was announced that he was only married a few weeks before that. I remember looking at his wedding photos in the news and finding it so unbelievably sad that he would be killed just a few weeks later 😥

Also, the winter cherry fire in Keremovo, Russia in 2018. The fire started in a soft play area in a building which had been converted from a soviet era factory to a shopping and leisure mall. Due to the materials in the soft play it quickly spread and I remember seeing footage of the soft play being engulfed in seconds, bouncy castles exploding etc. It was during a school holiday I think so the majority of deaths were kids and parents 😔 one man lost his whole family. There was also a cinema full of kids on an upper floor - they had no chance. Kids were calling parents to say good bye ☹Due to the layout of the building, and the refurbishment from factory to leisure, meant it had awful fire safety standards apparently. At least 60 died but they reckon it was many more than that and that the final number was a cover up by Russian authorities...

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow

totallytaz

Chatty Member
The story of Ken Bigley, Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong who were kidnapped and subsequently beheaded by Al Qaeda.

I remember crying when the first captives were killed. The captives seemed to be keeping Ken going and I was hopeful he would be rescued by forces or a deal would be struck, but he was killed about three weeks later.

I was in my early teens and really shocked by the cruelty of it all.

• Sad

D_Wills

VIP Member
With the hot weather recently I was reminded of the father who forgot to drop his toddler off to nursery in the morning and locked the child in the car all day when he went to work, to come back later and the child had died in the hot car. I tried to Google to share a link and I can not believe how many times this has happened! Quite a few different articles about it happening various times 😮

• Sad
  • Wow

Solemnia

I’m can’t remember if it was mentioned already but the Irish girl who was murdered horrifically in Glasgow a few years ago, Karen Buckley. Just on a night out and completely random 😔 I was about the same age at the time and it really resonated with me and my friends. Her fathers statement was heartbreaking. It’s amazing how certain stories stay with you x

• Sad