Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I always wondered if any of the Grenfell residents had any suspicion of a fire as it broke out but dismissed it . Like could they smell burning but think it was outside/ someone burning food ?

Did any alarms go off? The first thought when an alarm goes off , is that it is a nuisance, not that anything is wrong .
They were told to stay in their homes by the fire fighters.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Another case that has stayed with me throughout the years was the murder of Nicola Furlong, an Irish student who was murdered after a night out in Japan a few years ago. If I remember correctly her drink was spiked and she was murdered in a hotel 😭her family did an interview on Irish TV after it which was absolutely heartbreaking 💔

• Sad
Reactions: 4
India Chipchase. She had been in a bar that I used to drink in frequently, lost track of her friends and was refused reentry by the bouncers cause she was too drunk. What happened next was just awful.
Also I don’t remember dunblane as I was very young but I remember my mum picking me up from school, picking me up and hugging me for ages and when I asked why she said that something bad had happened at a school and some mummy’s weren’t going to be hugging their children that night 💔

• Sad
Reactions: 10
A more recent story I often find myself thinking is of Nora Quoirin who disappeared and subsequently died in the Malaysian jungle in 2019. It was such an awful story and I’m still convinced she went out there on her own and wasn’t seen by anyone before she was found dead. I’m positive there’s more to the story that has either been covered up or missed by poor investigative practices.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
A more recent story I often find myself thinking is of Nora Quoirin who disappeared and subsequently died in the Malaysian jungle in 2019. It was such an awful story and I’m still convinced she went out there on her own and wasn’t seen by anyone before she was found dead. I’m positive there’s more to the story that has either been covered up or missed by poor investigative practices.
I'm still convinced that she was either murdered, or simply went off looking for adventure. She was autistic, so that could of been a contributing factor.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I followed this story when it was happening and I agree there’s just something that doesn’t quite add up for me!

Reactions: 6
Just realised one of my sentences was wrong earlier and totally changed what I meant. I intended to say “I’m still NOT convinced she went out there on her own and wasn’t seen by anyone”. Her parents were so convincing when they said she just wouldn’t have thought to nor been able to get out the window to get out but the authorities just completely ignored their thoughts and came up with their own story.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
The racially motivated murder of Kriss Donald. He was a 15 year old boy from Glasgow, picked out by a gang of men of Pakistani origin, purely because he was a “white Scottish boy.” They abducted him, drove him around for 200 miles and brutally tortured him, stabbed him multiple times before dousing him in petrol, setting his body alight, and leaving him to die in a ditch.
It will stay in my mind forever for so many reasons. It was close to home, Kriss was the same age as myself, just an innocent boy out with his friend. Also, the lack of national coverage over it at the time was shocking compared to other racially motivated killings.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
TW for gory details in child murders

The Baneheia case in Norway.

Two little girls aged 8 and 10 were brutally raped and murdered by two men in the woods. The things that were done to them were deemed too horrific to ever be shared with the public, but my mom was friends with the person who performed the autopsy. They told her one of the girls had all her intestines out and the other’s head was barely attached to her body.

I was 6 when this happened and I remember being downright traumatised. I always told my mom I loved her before going out to play after it happened, as I wanted that to be the last thing I said to her if someone killed me ://

Another interesting fact is that one of the perpetrators has maintained his innocence through all these years, and his case is now up for review. He’s been imprisoned since 2000. It actually looks like he’s innocent. It was a witch hunt way back when, but he was texting several messages throughout the time the murders were happening, and the cell tower that connected with his phone wasn’t the one near the crime scene. So he is probably innocent, I think. The court threw this evidence out and his best friend - whose DNA was found inside the girls - said he forced him to do it.

It’s a a very interesting and HORRIBLE case. I can’t listen to true crime stuff about it because it upsets me so much. I just want to wrap my arms around those little girls 💔

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Oh my goodness I just started watching (i don’t know why!) the Dunblane thing that was on last week as it’s close to the anniversary. It was just horrifically sad, I had to turn it off. My little boy is 3.5 so looks similar size to the kids photos they were showing and I just cannot even imagine what those parents have gone through...it’s made me want to go and get him out of bed and squeeze him tight.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Oh my goodness I just started watching (i don’t know why!) the Dunblane thing that was on last week as it’s close to the anniversary. It was just horrifically sad, I had to turn it off. My little boy is 3.5 so looks similar size to the kids photos they were showing and I just cannot even imagine what those parents have gone through...it’s made me want to go and get him out of bed and squeeze him tight.
I literally cried the whole way through it, especially seeing the footage of the parents at the time and hearing their stories. My son is in primary one and it is just your worst fear as a parent. 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I literally cried the whole way through it, especially seeing the footage of the parents at the time and hearing their stories. My son is in primary one and it is just your worst fear as a parent. 😢
I cried continuously through it too. Had to watch it in two sittings but it did feel quite uplifting when they managed to overturn government policy. It sort of gave a purpose to the grief in a strange sort of way.

I watched Lessons From a School Shooting: Notes From Dunblane yesterday on Netflix. It’s letters between the priest from Dunblane and the one from Sandy Hook in America and how they support each other knowing they’ve been through similar tragedies. It was quite interesting. I didn’t learn anything new about the situations but it felt very human.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The bit where they are all running to the school, and Victoria's mum's pure anguish grief caught on film did me in.

My daughter is 6 and the exact school year as those kids so really hit home.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
In 2007 in Omagh a Father Arthur McEhill started a housefire killing himself, his pregnant partner and 5 children oldest being 13 year olds ,youngest only 9 months old , the 13 year old caroline tried to ring for help and neighbour's tried to help them and Arthur looked out the window at the neighbours who had put a ladder by the window for a few seconds and walked away , Caroline was found with her phone still in her hand and in her other hand she had rosary beads I was heavily pregnant at the time of the fire and had just given birth at the time of the funerals it was heartbreaking i often think of the mum and children 💔

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
There's a few. The Hawe family murders is one. Basically a dad killed his wife, three sons and then himself because a secret of some sort that would ruin his reputation was about to be revealed. I think he was caught wanking at work - he was a school principal.

The other is the Buncrana drowning tragedy. A father, his two sons, his mum in law and her teenage daughter all died when their car when down a slip way into the water. A passerby managed to swim out to the car and save the only survivor - a baby girl. I think of their mum often, she lost her husband, sons, mother and sister that day. I can't imagine how you would get through that.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Ciaran Morris, 2 week old premature baby who died after his pram was struck by a car .
Such a tragic and upsetting story.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Ciaran Morris, 2 week old premature baby who died after his pram was struck by a car .
Absolutely heartbreaking 💔 it’s something that has always been in the back of my mind when I’ve been out walking with my babies in their prams. People who speed, drive without due care, etc make me rage.

Reactions: 14
That poor baby- and his poor parents. I read the story yesterday and thought about them so much.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
So many; but for some reason plane crashes, particularly where there are a lot of children aboard. I just can’t even think about it.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.