Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When I was a little girl a child died because they stood on the Christmas lights wire barefoot. I have always remembered this and now as a parent think about the poor family a lot.
A few years back there was a story about a little girl being awfully neglected. Her stepfather built a cage around her cot because she was a bad sleeper. She was the same age when she died as my daughter was when it went to trial (hope that makes sense) so it really struck a chord and stuck with me for weeks.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
The story that stays with me is: a couple and their two children were on a beach in Norfolk. The tide suddenly turned and the parents couldn’t get to their children who very sadly died.

I couldn’t get the thought of the parents out of my head having to return home without their children. And every morning waking up and trying to cope and come to terms with a different way of life.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
James Bulger. I grew up near where it happened, a bit later mind and it breaks my heart to think about. My heart goes out to the family.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 91
The zeebrugge ferry disastor. I was off school ill and remember watching the news with my mum all about the disastor. It was a ferry we'd used at times going back and forth from Germany (forces child). All of a sudden my mum screamed and burst out crying. They were interviewing a man on the TV who was my dad's best friend. He was on the ferry and had become separated from his wife and children. They told him on air that they were safe. I always remember feeling really scared because of how upset my mum was.

Lockerbie really stayed with me too. For years I had anxiety a plane would crash down where I lived.

Last edited:
  • Sad
A few years ago there was a family who were killed in an arson attack in Manchester a few days before Christmas. The mum survived but had terrible inquiries and in was in hospital for months, I don’t think she even attended their funerals. It was so awful and for some reason I couldn’t get them out of my head for ages afterwards.

• Sad
Reactions: 27
A few years ago there was a family who were killed in an arson attack in Manchester a few days before Christmas. The mum survived but had terrible inquiries and in was in hospital for months, I don’t think she even attended their funerals. It was so awful and for some reason I couldn’t get them out of my head for ages afterwards.
I remember that. It was harrowing thinking of her having to deal with that

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
The release of Nelson Mandela from prison after 27 year captivity. It happened in 1990 3 years before I was born, but it captivated my home country of South Africa for a generation

Then of course there was 9/11. I was 8 and at school learning maths when the teacher was called away, and we were all led into the assembly room to watch the shocking events as they unfolded - a bit of hard for 8 year olds but still memorable

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Hillsborough. I think I was about 10, my parents used to get the Daily Mirror and there was some really graphic photos of people crushed against the railings, I’m presuming they didn’t survive, I can still sort of picture their faces. It’s always made me a bit wary of crowds at gigs etc.

Also Jamie Bulger, I read a lot about the case and just found it so chilling what they did.

• Sad
Reactions: 38
All the well known ones, 9/11, London bombings, James Bulger..

Another one that sticks in my head is from about 20ish years ago when a nanny shook a child to death - I was young at the time and all I remember is the nanny was shown in court recreating the movement she did when she held the child, I believe her first name was Grace but I could be wrong and she received 15 years in jail. I’ve tried googling to follow up but can’t find anything.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Dunblane, I was in primary at the time and was petrified to go to school for a while as kept thinking someone will come into the school with a gun 😟

• Sad
  • Heart
Dunblane, I was in primary at the time and was petrified to go to school for a while as kept thinking someone will come into the school with a gun 😟
I lived near Dunblane and was the same age as the poor kids it happened to.

I don’t remember anything as I was too young but years later my mum told me the local news didn’t advise what school it happened at and all of the parents rushed to all of the schools.

I also found out later that Thomas Hamilton tried to get into my school posing as some kind of teacher but the headteacher turned him away.

• Wow
  • Sad
I can never forget the case of Daniel Pelka who was 6 and in the months leading up to his death he was severely beaten and starved by his mum and stepdad. He was so hungry he was caught stealing food from bins at school and apparently looked like a concentration camp victim, but nothing was done. Broke the heart reading about the case and I still get upset thinking about it now 😓

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 66
Death of Princess Diana. The pictures of the crushed car remains clear as day in my mind.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
All the well known ones, 9/11, London bombings, James Bulger..

Another one that sticks in my head is from about 20ish years ago when a nanny shook a child to death - I was young at the time and all I remember is the nanny was shown in court recreating the movement she did when she held the child, I believe her first name was Grace but I could be wrong and she received 15 years in jail. I’ve tried googling to follow up but can’t find anything.
The Louise Woodward nanny case happened around then too. 97/98 I think.

Reactions: 32
I remember returning home from school on the day the news broke about the ‘House of horrors’ with Fred and Rose West’s faces on the TV. I was around 15. I’ll never forget it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
There was a little girl who was killed by her mother (I think her name was Ayesha or something similar), We done something safeguarding training at work and they played a recording of her mum on the phone and you could hear the little girl crying for her mummy in the background.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.