Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Stories of kids killed by animals (dogs) have stayed with me - so heartbreaking.

Recently watched a programme (crimes that shook Britain) on how Lynn and Megan Russel died while walking home (with daughter/sister Josie who survived) from school.
How awful just going about your day picking your kids up and being murdered.

can’t imagine how Josie felt having grown up surviving that / loosing her little sister and Mum.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I remember the 7/7 bombings too, I was working in Liverpool at the time - did they not announce just earlier that day/week that we had won the Olympic bid for 2012? That morning on Radio 1 they kept saying there had been an outrage on the tube, but they kept saying that often you started to get suspicious. Again, the internet was just not at our disposal then, as it is now!
Yes, I remember a girl called Carrie died at the Aldgate bombing and she was really excited London had the Olympics, I seem to remember a picture where she'd written it on a wall they were decorating or something. Weird how some stuff sticks with you so clearly 💔

• Heart
There was a story years ago about a toddler accidentally drowning in the bath on Christmas Day. It’s always stuck with me, thinking of the poor mum who just turned her back for a minute (likely on a very busy but exciting and lovely day) and lost her child so quickly.

I often think about the mum and hope she’s ok. It’s such a traumatic thing but to happen on Christmas morning is just extra horrible.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
The murder of Joanna Yates by her neighbour. I just found the whole thing heartbreaking especially as her body was found on Xmas day by dog walkers. Her parents and boyfriend remained so dignified and stoic throughout the whole ordeal and then there was the poor landlord who was getting the finger pointed at him because 'he looked the type' 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 21
I remember the 7/7 bombings too, I was working in Liverpool at the time - did they not announce just earlier that day/week that we had won the Olympic bid for 2012? That morning on Radio 1 they kept saying there had been an outrage on the tube, but they kept saying that often you started to get suspicious. Again, the internet was just not at our disposal then, as it is now!
I was still living at home and my mum was watching Sky News and told me that there was an 'incident on the tube' but that it was 'fine' because it was just a power outage so nobody would be hurt before everything became clearer. I also remember the horrible ticker tape that they had to have going of things such as 'mum, I'm safe, Becky M' because mobile signals were totally jammed.

I remember there was one guy who managed to phone his mum to say that he'd survived the explosion at Edgware Road and that he was safe and he was going to get the bus instead, only to die in the explosion in Tavistock Square

• Sad
Reactions: 20
Autocorrect: should’ve said ‘Outage’

Reactions: 1
I know it’s recent but there is something not quite right with this case. I really wish I am wrong but there is something about her Husband that just feels odd. I can’t stop thinking about that poor woman and her baby 😥

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I know it’s recent but there is something not quite right with this case. I really wish I am wrong but there is something about her Husband that just feels odd. I can’t stop thinking about that poor woman and her baby 😥

I feel exactly the same. Why would they keep the husband alive? He could identify them.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I feel exactly the same. Why would they keep the husband alive? He could identify them.
He said it was because she kept screaming.

I know everyone deals with grief and trauma differently but his behavior is giving me he’s involved vibes. Perhaps I’ve watched too many crime docs but when I watch and read his interviews I’m getting the ick.

Reactions: 5
7/7. I remember where I was (I was away and someone told us) where it happened. Same with 9/11.

Reactions: 3
The killing of Breck Bednar in 2014 has always stuck with me. He was 14 years old and into gaming, he was groomed online by a 19 year old computer engineer, who after talking online for a few months, met up and Breck was raped and murdered. I have three teenage boys who are into gaming and I grill them quite a bit when they are cagey about who they are meeting (cagey because it's a girl).

The other one was the murder of Katie Rackliff in 1992, I was 18 at the time. She was walking home from a nightclub in Camberley called Ragamuffins which I used to go to at the same time. She was found stabbed to death and her genitalia had been mutilated. They were looking for a man that had been seen at the time, in all the pubs and clubs in the area they had pictures if this guy. Four years later they caught the killer, Sharon Carr, who was 12 at the time of the murder, she is Britain's youngest female killer.

• Wow
  • Sad

I 100% agree.

Reactions: 2
I don’t remember the full details of this story but I remember reading about it not long after I’d had my own baby 6 years ago and I had nightmares about it for weeks. Nearly every time I drifted off I would wake up covered in sweat and panic about it…the thought of how much the baby in the story would have suffered.

This happened in America but there were two or three kids, one of which was a baby and the other(s?) very young. I think the kids were being looked after by a relative who popped out to get dinner. The elder child (who I think was still very young) decided to try and help the baby warm up by putting the poor thing in the oven and then couldn’t get it out as the oven was too hot. It still horrifies me to this day.

• Wow
  • Sad

I know everyone deals with grief and trauma differently but his behavior is giving me he’s involved vibes. Perhaps I’ve watched too many crime docs but when I watch and read his interviews I’m getting the ick.
I’ve heard that the husband was strangled too. Passed out and they maybe thought he was dead ?

I don’t remember the full details of this story but I remember reading about it not long after I’d had my own baby 6 years ago and I had nightmares about it for weeks. Nearly every time I drifted off I would wake up covered in sweat and panic about it…the thought of how much the baby in the story would have suffered.

This happened in America but there were two or three kids, one of which was a baby and the other(s?) very young. I think the kids were being looked after by a relative who popped out to get dinner. The elder child (who I think was still very young) decided to try and help the baby warm up by putting the poor thing in the oven and then couldn’t get it out as the oven was too hot. It still horrifies me to this day.
Omg I just looked this up, it was twin three year olds that put the baby in the oven while the mother went to get pizza 😭 horrific

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
This one has stuck with me, I'm not sure if others remember it. Two Scandinavian girls beheaded in the Altas mountains in Morocco. There are videos (which I haven't seen, nor ever want to see) and I am sure I recall reading somewhere that it was sent to one of the Mothers. Absolutely horrific.

• Sad
  • Wow
The killing of Breck Bednar in 2014 has always stuck with me. He was 14 years old and into gaming, he was groomed online by a 19 year old computer engineer, who after talking online for a few months, met up and Breck was raped and murdered. I have three teenage boys who are into gaming and I grill them quite a bit when they are cagey about who they are meeting (cagey because it's a girl).
Breck’s murder has always stayed with me too. I think it was because my son was the same age as Breck, also into online gaming and looked very much like him too. There but for the grace of God...
What I found so sad about the case was that Breck’s mum realised her son was being groomed and pleaded with the police for some help but they did nothing.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

He comes across as so unemotional when speaking to the media.
Also when they checked the CCTV it was either not working or had been switched off...

I’ve been thinking this since the day it came out. I get a bad feeling about him.

I found the August Ames suicide a hard one, when you delve into it you can't help but feel it could have been avoided and things could have moved on, theres a really good podcast about it I'd highly recommend too called 'the last days of August'

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.