Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree, for a place as heavily surveilled as London, it’s ridiculous that someone can just vanish in such a central area. It makes my skin crawl. Really do hope she’s ok, but now on day 4, chances are the outlook is bleak.
I’ve been following this one really closely. Sarah is friend of friends and people I work with and although I don’t know her myself this hits very hard especially as I also live locally. Genuinely this could have been me or my friends so easily.

By all accounts (as they’ve now found her on CCTV past the common on Poynders rd) she likely took the main road route and didn’t walk across the middle of the common. That’s been the last sighting and shows she made it past the common. That road is a main one and is relatively busy usually (though I don’t know in lockdown if it’s quieter) and lit up so I can understand why she would have felt fine to walk it. I am also so confused how someone can just vanish into thin air in this day and age - they surely must find her or be able to see what’s happened?! Is London not covered in CCTV -i always thought so!

I feel like there is a lot of commentary a out the area being dangerous which I don’t think is necessarily true but one thing I’d say about the area is thah you can wander from a very gentrified road into one that is (for want of a better word) dodgy very quickly. I am hoping for the best but sadly imagining the worst. Her poor family - I can’t imagine the heart ache and worry - and watching ponds be dredged for your child must be unbearable.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I know there’s always been murders and maybe it’s because we see and read everything so quickly now but years ago if a someone got really badly into debt etc they killed them self (from the supposed shame) now they seem to take out the whole family as well , why???

sorry I don’t think I’ve asked the question very succinctly
It's all about control. They have lost control of everything and therefore feel like a failure. This is why they decide to take their own life but the one last thing they do have control over is how their family dies. So sad. I watched the documentary about Christopher Foster last night. It appears he was a very controlling man & he had to win at everything. From what I gather he didn't shoot himself & he chose to burn to death.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
It's all about control. They have lost control of everything and therefore feel like a failure. This is why they decide to take their own life but the one last thing they do have control over is how their family dies. So sad. I watched the documentary about Christopher Foster last night. It appears he was a very controlling man & he had to win at everything. From what I gather he didn't shoot himself & he chose to burn to death.
I understand that , I’m just wondering why the shift to killing everyone it just seems a newer phenomenon

Dunblane for me too

I was about 10 at the time and I will never forget the class picture that was in the papers

Breaks my heart

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Just got stuck down a long blackfish hole... I actually haven’t watched the documentary as I am quite strange and don’t like to watch things that are upsetting in terms of animals. Is it really bad or could I watch? Can’t believe the footage of that male trainer who got dragged under a few times and very nearly could’ve also died! Ashamed to admit I have been to sea world a number of times and loved it, but this was when I was a child many many years ago 😞

Reactions: 1
I just mentioned this on another thread but it definitely belongs here.

The 2008 murder of Moira Jones in Glasgow. This happened when I lived 4 or so streets away and it was terrifying seeing the incident command vehicle snd police presence.

Poor woman was feet away from her front door, overpowered and walked into Queens Park. There was she was raped, beaten and strangled and a park ranger found her early next morning. The horrible thing is people who were walking their dogs snd in their flats that overlooked the park testified they heard short but terrified screams. Couldn’t be sure if it was real or whatnot but sadly it’s thought to have been Moira. The piece of tit scum who did this fled back to Slovakia and they had to work to get him back to Scotland. Animal. 😡. I always felt for Moira’s family and her long term partner - she had a bicker with him that night and went back to her own flat, then she was attacked. Sadly, I do believe if it was not her, this animal would have killed some other unfortunate woman to cross his path.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

The 2008 murder of Moira Jones in Glasgow. This happened when I lived 4 or so streets away and it was terrifying seeing the incident command vehicle snd police presence.

Poor woman was feet away from her front door, overpowered and walked into Queens Park. There was she was raped, beaten and strangled and a park ranger found her early next morning. The horrible thing is people who were walking their dogs snd in their flats that overlooked the park testified they heard short but terrified screams. Couldn’t be sure if it was real or whatnot but sadly it’s thought to have been Moira. The piece of tit scum who did this fled back to Slovakia and they had to work to get him back to Scotland. Animal. 😡. I always felt for Moira’s family and her long term partner - she had a bicker with him that night and went back to her own flat, then she was attacked. Sadly, I do believe if it was not her, this animal would have killed some other unfortunate woman to cross his path.
Moira’s rape and murder really is such a tragedy. She seemed like such a vibrant, smart and fun person. I live in Glasgow and walk through Queen’s Park quite a lot. Whenever I’m there, I tend to think of her and her mum, Beatrice. The pain she’s endured, wow! And she is still so strong and campaigns for victims families and does charity work via Moira’s Fund. I hope that work brings her some peace.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Yeah @GiftedNotFree her death was just so horrendous. Her families strength and work since then is incredible. I take my hats off to them, not sure if I could have been so strong in their shoes.

Just got stuck down a long blackfish hole... I actually haven’t watched the documentary as I am quite strange and don’t like to watch things that are upsetting in terms of animals. Is it really bad or could I watch? Can’t believe the footage of that male trainer who got dragged under a few times and very nearly could’ve also died! Ashamed to admit I have been to sea world a number of times and loved it, but this was when I was a child many many years ago 😞
Blackfish doesn’t show anything graphically cruel to any of the whales. There are upsetting parts when they talk about how the whales were captured and when mothers were separated from their babies. It’s a great documentary so give it a go and see how you get on. You can always turn it off if you need to, but if you’ve been reading about it online there’s probably no/little new information to take in from the documentary.

The footage of the trainer being dragged under really is incredible. How he kept so calm during it all is mind blowing.

Reactions: 8
Moira’s rape and murder really is such a tragedy. She seemed like such a vibrant, smart and fun person. I live in Glasgow and walk through Queen’s Park quite a lot. Whenever I’m there, I tend to think of her and her mum, Beatrice. The pain she’s endured, wow! And she is still so strong and campaigns for victims families and does charity work via Moira’s Fund. I hope that work brings her some peace.
Oh god I just looked this up. That poor woman and her family. What a horrible way to die 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I can't watch anything with animal cruelty in as it gets stuck in my mind, there's an amazing website called DoestheDogDie.com. It has emotional spoilers/trigger warnings for most films/tv shows - its not just animals, it's anything from animal cruelty to child abuse to vomit to clowns. Amazing website, so glad I found it!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I can't handle anything with animal cruelty either ...

A couple more of mine: The deaths of two teenage girls who were hit by a train and killed because of a fault with a level crossing gate - somewhere in Essex IIRC. The father of one of the girls published a collection of diary entries and letters he'd written to his daughter after her death, they are heartbreaking

The "Hello Kitty" murder involving a woman who was dismembered and part of her remains were hidden inside a Hello Kitty toy. This was a huge case in Hong Kong where my family is from

Also the case of a man in Spain who fell off a hotel balcony and was killed whilst trying to use said balcony as a toilet. Deaths of tourists falling off balconies are common but given what he was doing at the time, it became the subject of a lot of discussion about the behaviour of British tourists

Reactions: 4
Oh god I just looked this up. That poor woman and her family. What a horrible way to die 😢
Yeah, it was awful. Moira Jones and Karen Buckley’s murders have long since bothered
me. Two women who moved here to Glasgow for work and study and sadly died here. It’s so heartbreaking as this type of crime (stranger murder) is so rare everywhere. 😢

I cannot stop following/reading about Sarah Everard. Hope her family get news today.

I lived in the area at the time and remember driving past, seeing the entire park tied off with police tape. For a while my boyfriend would make me phone him when I got off the bus after work and talk to him until I reached our front door.

There was a witness who walked past Moira and her attacker en route to the park but didn't contact the police until an appeal was put out. I suspect he still lives with that guilt.

Her poor family and long term partner. The strength it must have taken to keep going through the aftermath. I believe there's a foundation set up in her name too.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I lived in the area at the time and remember driving past, seeing the entire park tied off with police tape. For a while my boyfriend would make me phone him when I got off the bus after work and talk to him until I reached our front door.

There was a witness who walked past Moira and her attacker en route to the park but didn't contact the police until an appeal was put out. I suspect he still lives with that guilt.

Her poor family and long term partner. The strength it must have taken to keep going through the aftermath. I believe there's a foundation set up in her name too.
There is, it was setup by her parents and is called The Moira Fund. They do amazing work.

There’s a BBC documentary called “The Dark Shadow of Murder”. It profiles Moira’s mum Bea reading her diary entries from when Moira was murdered and covers their charity work.

It’s devastating and I cried pretty much the whole way through, but it’s ultimately uplifting when you think of the positives that can come after such tragedy.

Reactions: 2
I can't handle anything with animal cruelty either ...

A couple more of mine: The deaths of two teenage girls who were hit by a train and killed because of a fault with a level crossing gate - somewhere in Essex IIRC. The father of one of the girls published a collection of diary entries and letters he'd written to his daughter after her death, they are heartbreaking.
Their names were Charlie and Olivia. I remember this so vividly because I was about the same age, but also very loosely connected to them because a family friend’s daughter was dating the older sibling of one of the girls. I never met them or anything but it really stuck with me because of the effect on our friend & the similarity in ages.

• Heart
One that really sticks out for me was the murder of Sarah Payne. I was only young at the time and it made me so aware of how evil people can be. That poor family. She was playing innocently with her siblings and went off in a little huff as kids do, and her brother was literally just seconds out of sight from her before that absolute horror of a man snatched her. I read her mums book and it was heartbreaking 💔

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.