Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One I remember from years ago (think it was maybe 2005? or 2006?) was (TRIGGER WARNING for drunk driving + child death) an American family who was coming back from a wedding in a limo, and a drunk driver crashed into them. I think the limo driver and one other person in the car instantly died due to the severity of the crash (it hit them head on), and the little girl was killed and decapitated by her seatbelt. :( Bloody awful and I'm glad the guy who did it is still rotting in prison.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
The documentary about the Swedish twins was "Madness In The Fast Lane". I remember it sticking with me as well as it was just so bizarre, and as mentioned took a tragic twist with one of them murdering a local man who'd tried to help her before she attacked another man and was running up the street hitting herself with a hammer.

The whole thing just sounds fictitious.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Does anyone remember the abduction of Stephanie Slater? I remember hearing about it from my mum & auntie when I got a bit older. She released a book detailing her abduction. She sadly passed away a few years ago, it always gets to me when people survive these horrific ordeals to then pass early in other circumstances.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
The Aberfan disaster.
The murder of a 3 year little boy at the hands of his mother and her partner who I'm ashamed to say, I called my friends at some point in my life. I think about him constantly.
9/11, the tsunami and the Tunisian murders on the beach.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
A car crash in rural Australia where they weren’t discovered until the next day. 2 of the 3 friends died from the crash and the 3rd took his own life in the time between the crash and their discovery.
It’s disrespectful morbid curiosity but I often wonder about that 3rd guy. Was he blaming himself and the guilt was too much, out there over night with the bodies of his friends? Was he in pain and scared he wouldn’t be discovered? Could he not stand to be there with the bodies? What happened?

Also in Aus the Boxing Day car crash that killed Home and Away actress Jessica Falkholt & family. Her Mum and Dad died instantly, sister the next day I think, and she days later. A whole family at Christmas, the ‘kids’ being adults makes it more relatable. The other driver who hit them head on had multiple driving offences & was on his way back from a methadone clinic. The car was burnt beyond recognition and passers by that tried to help were burned dragging the sisters from the car. Absolutely horrific!

The Victoria Climbie case really stuck with me too. It truly makes me feel physically ill to think what happened to that poor child, what a little girl could endure and the evil that can be in some people.

Last edited:
The most recent for me is the story of Harry Baker, 17 year old boy who was killed by 6 or 7 men. Stabbed 9 times, stripped naked and left to die in a boating port. Another for me is the death of a 7 year old and his dad about 4 miles down the road from me, they were walking home as a family with mum and daughter from a family party at Christmas time and the dad and son were knocked down by a car. The son was taken to 1 hospital and the dad to another and the wife had to choose who to go with to the hospital, both passed away. I cant drive down that road now without thinking about them.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
the story of a woman in her 30s leaving her house with her boxer dog inside and didn't go back for months. The body of the dog was found only because the neighbours reported a smell. The dog would of died over two painful weeks!! it had been so starving all the mop buckets and bowls had been upturned where the dog had been desperately trying to get food and water.

Still knocks me sick to this day!!! Will never forget it!

I think the woman might of been a solicitor too !!

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 20
The most recent for me is the story of Harry Baker, 17 year old boy who was killed by 6 or 7 men. Stabbed 9 times, stripped naked and left to die in a boating port. Another for me is the death of a 7 year old and his dad about 4 miles down the road from me, they were walking home as a family with mum and daughter from a family party at Christmas time and the dad and son were knocked down by a car. The son was taken to 1 hospital and the dad to another and the wife had to choose who to go with to the hospital, both passed away. I cant drive down that road now without thinking about them.
I knew Harry, he was such a lovely boy, as are his family. I think about them everyday . It’s a shame people can get caught up in such horrific situations. It breaks my heart i truly hope he gets the justice he deserves

• Heart
  • Sad
the story of a woman in her 30s leaving her house with her boxer dog inside and didn't go back for months. The body of the dog was found only because the neighbours reported a smell. The dog would of died over two painful weeks!! it had been so starving all the mop buckets and bowls had been upturned where the dog had been desperately trying to get food and water.

Still knocks me sick to this day!!! Will never forget it!

I think the woman might of been a solicitor too !!
I remember this. There was loads of dog food in the house too, she just stopped going back to feed it.
People like that who can neglect or hurt an animal for nothing, I believe, are dangerous.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
In Glasgow we've had 3 tradegies happen near Christmas time.

One was the police helicopter that crashed into a pub. The Anniversary was on Sunday. We'd been putting Christmas decorations up in the centre I work in and the helicopter passed over my head at 8.30pm when I was waiting for my bus. Quite a few people in Glasgow saw it hit the Clutha. It's so near the river - who knows if the pilot was trying to ditch there to save lives.

A week before Christmas 2010, a guy crashed into 2 students waiting at traffic lights. Both girls died. Turned put he'd had medical issues and hadn't disclosed them. Apparently he'd passed out 6 times before. He never faced trial.

4 years later, a guy driving a bin lorry killed 6 people including a girl and her grandparents. The pictures of her poor mum at their funeral still sticks with me.

Again he had medical issues he didn't disclose and didn't face trial. He'd passed out driving a bus! He was banned from driving on medical grounds and was seen driving his car!

At the enquiry, the other men in the lorry seemed more affected by the crash than the driver was.

Both of these men literally walked away from these crashes without a scratch on them but have left a lifetime of hurt for their victims families.

Reactions: 14
In Glasgow we've had 3 tradegies happen near Christmas time.

One was the police helicopter that crashed into a pub. The Anniversary was on Sunday. We'd been putting Christmas decorations up in the centre I work in and the helicopter passed over my head at 8.30pm when I was waiting for my bus. Quite a few people in Glasgow saw it hit the Clutha. It's so near the river - who knows if the pilot was trying to ditch there to save lives.

A week before Christmas 2010, a guy crashed into 2 students waiting at traffic lights. Both girls died. Turned put he'd had medical issues and hadn't disclosed them. Apparently he'd passed out 6 times before. He never faced trial.

4 years later, a guy driving a bin lorry killed 6 people including a girl and her grandparents. The pictures of her poor mum at their funeral still sticks with me.

Again he had medical issues he didn't disclose and didn't face trial. He'd passed out driving a bus! He was banned from driving on medical grounds and was seen driving his car!

At the enquiry, the other men in the lorry seemed more affected by the crash than the driver was.

Both of these men literally walked away from these crashes without a scratch on them but have left a lifetime of hurt for their victims families.
i remember all of these.The bin lorry crash was particularly tragic because of the time of year. I worked in town and I remember getting a phone call from my granny really worried because she knew I liked to wander down on my lunch break. It was such a shame for the families involved!

Baby P..how anyone can torture an innocent baby is beyond me..let alone the mother allowing the boyfriend (baby rapist) and his brother to do that stuff to that child you’ve carried for 9 months! The social services & NHS to ignore the signs.... The little picture of him!

I then had to do a social services safeguarding course and found out there are many more children out there that slip the system...

I have a 27 month old toddler and he had his 2 1/2 year review over the phone recently due to COVID and this wholeheartedly scares me that there are going to be repercussions of these telephone calls...who’s checking up on the child’s health? To actually see if there are any issues or any signs of abuse 😭😭

• Angry
I really need to stop reading these before I go to bed 😩

One that has stuck with me was Christopher Foster. Not far from my hometown. He shot his wife and daughter at home after returning from a friends BBQ. He even killed all their horses and dogs. They lived in a gated mansion and when he shot them he placed a horse box in front of their gated entrance and blew out the tyres so that no one could enter to try and help. He then set the whole place on fire and shot himself. Think it came out afterwards he was in a huge amount of debt so decided they should all die rather than stop having their lavish lifestyle. How anyone could kill their family and pets I just can’t comprehend
I remember the Christopher Foster case. Horrific. My first bf was from Shropshire and knew Kirsty (daughter) through school friends.

Omg. I have the same dream. Word for word. I've always had it for as long as I can remember, at least once a month and it gets more and more vivid as life goes on. It always happens in a field by my childhood home or a grass verge by a bridge (which I couldn't locate until about a year after moving into my current home, that it dawned upon me, it is indeed very close to where I live).
God that’s so bizarre! Sounds exactly like my dream. I wonder what it must mean? Mine is always near my childhood home, especially in the field opposite to it.
And the same as you- Iv had the same dream for years now, so long that I can’t actually remember when they started Xxx

The Aberfan disaster.
The murder of a 3 year little boy at the hands of his mother and her partner who I'm ashamed to say, I called my friends at some point in my life. I think about him constantly.
9/11, the tsunami and the Tunisian murders on the beach.
The Tunisia one stuck with me for a while too. We’d been away in Greece the week before so I was trying to imagine the shocking terror they must have felt while just relaxing on the beach. So awful and that family where they lost 3 generations.

Reactions: 2
9/11 is a big one. My parents were actually in America when it happened. My siblings and I were being looked after by my grandad and he picked us up from school and told us he had some news regarding my parents. We watched the news and spoke to my parents (they were fine, they thought the news in the hotel they were in were showing a film, they just didn't believe it.) My parents were actually on the first flight home when the airspace opened as one of the people they were with, needed to be home because of who she was and and her job (because of the attack) I just remember being drawn into the footage of people jumping and being so upset and hurt. My dads best friend was in the 1st tower on the 26 floor and just ran down the stairs as fast as he could and didn't stop running for what he said felt like days. he suffered PTSD and when I see him I just feel awful. I just cant forget about it and even though it was across the pond how close to home it was.

• Sad
The Tunisia one stuck with me for a while too. We’d been away in Greece the week before so I was trying to imagine the shocking terror they must have felt while just relaxing on the beach. So awful and that family where they lost 3 generations.
I was in Tunisia the week before. It was my first holiday in 15 years due to being terrified of flying since 9/11. Needless to say I’ve never been away since.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
A recent one that’s really stuck with me is the crash near Oxford where the mum and 3 kids died and left behind the dad and another child. I read the story and they’d been living between houses as their house had burnt down. Just so unlucky and tragic. The guy said such beautiful things about his wife and family afterwards.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.