Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The young police officer, PC Andrew Harper from Berkshire who was killed by the travellers. He was the same age as me so it really resonates. Awful.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
This wasnt a news story, it was on a show like oprah (cant remember the actual show, it was in the 90s) I was off sick from school so watching whatever my mum was watching.

This girl would always kiss her dad goodnight as he would always fall asleep on the sofa. The one night she didn't do it he passed away in his sleep. For some reason its always stuck with me and I cant end a phone call ect now to my parents without saying 'I love you' because I worry the one time I dont something will happen 🙈

Another one is the Sandy Hook Shooting. I just cant comprehend how anyone can shoot anyone but especially little children.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
The young police officer, PC Andrew Harper from Berkshire who was killed by the travellers. He was the same age as me so it really resonates. Awful.
This really stuck with me, we’re quite near to where it happened, and I remember waking up to ‘the a4 is closed because of an incident over night’ and how it developed

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Rachel Nickell's murder in 1992.

Michael Ryan in Hungerford was so shocking as mass shootings just don't happen here.

That sick f*ck Mick Philpott who killed his kids in a house fire. Seeing their little faces in a photo montage was so upsetting. They had their whole lives ahead of them and he killed them for the insurance money.
I remember the Hungerford massacre. We had been travelling to my grans house for holiday and had stopped off at savernake forest to have lunch where he killed his first victim the next day. I can picture the area as clear as anything

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Not a big national news story. But a lady who worked in McDonald’s in our town, was stabbed to death on shift. Me and my cousin had been there that morning and seen her. She had worked there for along time and was well known. It’s only a small town where I live, nothing really ever happens here. So was shocking and so sad.

And in more recent times and my adult life. Lee rigby. Just horrific. I come from a military family and also my husband is too. Just horrific for his family

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Also those poor teenagers who got trapped on that ride at Alton towers. I always think it’s just so sad how they went for a nice day out and put their trust into others to keep them safe & it ended like that. Just awful.

Reactions: 10
This is quite a recent one but it haunted me. Dad, 2 children and the family dog were killed in front of the mum by a drunk driver when they were out walking in the late district. I have 2 children and the thought of going on a day out and coming home alone is just too much to bare. I think of her often and hope she is doing ok. :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I can never forget the case of Daniel Pelka who was 6 and in the months leading up to his death he was severely beaten and starved by his mum and stepdad. He was so hungry he was caught stealing food from bins at school and apparently looked like a concentration camp victim, but nothing was done. Broke the heart reading about the case and I still get upset thinking about it now 😓
I remember that one, so sad. I really hope that now someone would try and step in or do more. He was so badly let down.

Reactions: 4

An irish woman named Sherry Campbell choked on a piece of meat and died late at night after her parents went to bed, she was only 29 and an only child, her poor parents found her in the kitchen in the early hours of the morning. I remember stumbling across this story a few years ago and always remembering it because I have a fear of choking.

I'm quite a fast eater and sometimes would have very small choking incidents until one time I was home alone eating something and then it getting stuck; I remember dashing round frantically and running into the backyard to get my neighbours help feeling I was going to pass out at any moment when I managed to hock the piece of food up. From then on I've always been careful to chew my food and not to take massive bites.

You hardly hear people dying this way but it's coming across stories like this make you reevaluate even something as small as how you chew and eat your food.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Jodie Arias. The trial was happening whilst I was in America and I was hooked.

Reactions: 2
Madeleine McCann, it was the first big news story I knew of. I was only eight and it really scared me how she could just disappear, and I remember thinking to myself wow, when I'm an adult maybe she'll be found :(

Reactions: 6
A more recent one that sticks with me is the girl who stood up fell out of the river rapids boat at Drayton Manor and unfortunately died. I couldn’t imagine sending my children off on what is meant to be a fun end of year school trip and for them to not come home at the end of it. Such a tragic accident.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
The young girl & boy who were travelling in Thailand and were murdered on the beach. They didn’t know each other before that night. I remember their faces. I believe the boy was called David Miller.

I just googled it and there was an update in August. David Miller was trying to save Hannah witheridge from being raped and they were both bludgeoned to death. It’s believed that the Thai police covered a lot of it up. The accused murders have claimed they were tortured for a confession. I don’t think this story will ever leave. I often think about them.
I have been in so many similar situations, meet someone on a night out etc etc. So very sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
The young girl & boy who were travelling in Thailand and were murdered on the beach. They didn’t know each other before that night. I remember their faces. I believe the boy was called David Miller.

I just googled it and there was an update in August. David Miller was trying to save Hannah witheridge from being raped and they were both bludgeoned to death. It’s believed that the Thai police covered a lot of it up. The accused murders have claimed they were tortured for a confession. I don’t think this story will ever leave. I often think about them.
I have been in so many similar situations, meet someone on a night out etc etc. So very sad.
The girl’s name is Hannah Witheridge. Her sister has now passed away too, at only 30. I can’t imagine the pain their parents must live with everyday.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
The brutal murder of Sarah Payne ... her family didn’t live too far from me, every time I see her little face it brings it all back, the huge search for her and the manhunt for the killer ❤❤❤

• Sad
When Sara Payne died, I read about it or saw it on the news and envisioned it happening in my village and was convinced it was gonna happen again. I was about 7 or 8 I think.

Reactions: 4
Leah Croucher sticks with me too, how can someone just disappear like that? And her poor family losing her brother too

• Sad
Murder of Sarah Payne - I remember her school picture being all over the news.

Holly & Jessica - I was on holiday camping with family in Wales and my parents wouldn't let me & my sister play anywhere where they couldn't see us.

9/11 (I was 8 so didn't understand, but remember sitting in front of the TV like it were yesterday), 7/7, Manchester Arena bombing.

Boston Marathon bombing - my friend was running the London Marathon not long afterwards and I was scared for her.

I've watched documentaries on news stories before I was born like James Bulger and the Challenger explosion, deeply upsetting.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.