Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Emmadale

VIP Member
I can also remember Ken bigley so vividly.
Chilean miners. Loved watching them be rescued.
Years ago a Russian(?) gang kept a whole school hostage inside the school and I remember being obsessed with that.
September 11th obviously.
And then when news has broken of shocking celebrity deaths. I was gobsmacked when Mike from love Island died and really vividly remember reading about it.

I never understand this either. If you truly can't be bothered to not look after them anymore it takes minimal effort to tie them up outside an animal rescue.
2016 was this year with a lot of shocking celebrity deaths.

MilkAndTwoSugars

VIP Member
Another one that sticks in my head is from about 20ish years ago when a nanny shook a child to death - I was young at the time and all I remember is the nanny was shown in court recreating the movement she did when she held the child, I believe her first name was Grace but I could be wrong and she received 15 years in jail. I’ve tried googling to follow up but can’t find anything.
Was this Louise Woodward or a different story? I've no idea why but I always remember the nannys name in this story 😩

Phoenix Lazarus

VIP Member
The plane that crashed on the motorway near East Midlands airport in 1989. I live not far from there and it could have been much worse if the aircraft came down on the airport or a residential area.

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
I’ve just been reading about a 14 year old that fell from a ride in Orlando, Florida on Thursday night. He knew he wasn’t secure, he must have been so scared 😭
Absolutely awful 😣. Can’t even begin to imagine. Makes no sense how something so preventable could happen.

Little_Red_Rides

The Anni Dewani case. Currently watching the Discovery plus series on it. Shrien was a disgraceful human being. He either arranged her murder or couldn't believe his luck when she was murdered. The way he acted towards her family was disgusting. Her poor family never will get justice just because he couldn't be true to himself.
Where is this? Sky?

Lovegin

VIP Member
It's all about control. They have lost control of everything and therefore feel like a failure. This is why they decide to take their own life but the one last thing they do have control over is how their family dies. So sad. I watched the documentary about Christopher Foster last night. It appears he was a very controlling man & he had to win at everything. From what I gather he didn't shoot himself & he chose to burn to death.
I understand that , I’m just wondering why the shift to killing everyone it just seems a newer phenomenon

eSsExBiRd

VIP Member
He comes across as so unemotional when speaking to the media.
Also when they checked the CCTV it was either not working or had been switched off...
There was an article in the Fail today, the Police have taken him in for further questioning.

whisperchat

VIP Member
Me too. I just can't stand it after having my baby 💔

I remember watching a documentary about Breck. My impression was there was a big sexual element to the attack. Horrifying.
It's just awful and it still makes me feel sick to my stomach 7 years later.

petitspois

VIP Member
I remember the first reports of an explosion appearing on social media at about 10.30pm and it being roundly dismissed as balloon popping (yes really) or an amp blowing in the area, so didn’t think anything of it. There was also that awful photo of the foyer area with bodies strewn everywhere and people were saying it was taken from a dry run the emergency services had recently done for a potential terrorist attack. I went to bed and then obviously got up to the awful news.

Interestingly the girl who does my eyebrows was actually in the arena at the time of the explosion with her son and she said everyone knew immediately that it was a bomb, so I think it was played down initially to avoid a panic.
I wonder if anything will come of the fact that so many of the British Transport Police were so incompetent that night?

mixusmaxus

The boy who drowned, was he just 14? 😟
no, he was an adult, young though

Was this Jack Morrad?
No. Story didn’t even go beyond local news I suspect. I just drive over the place they found him every day so I think of him a lot. Sadly I think stories like his are quite common 😣

The Romanian orphans in the 80s, banging their little heads on the shared metal cots. I'll never forget how backwards Eastern Europe was.
I think these headlines dominated the news at a time when I was starting to pay attention to the world around me.

I remember the headlines about food shortages and the austerity in Romania. I think it was the first time I noticed 'white' poverty.
Yeah I remember my mum crying over those stories. And she never cries.

Meh

Chatty Member
Yeah @GiftedNotFree her death was just so horrendous. Her families strength and work since then is incredible. I take my hats off to them, not sure if I could have been so strong in their shoes.

I was at Glastonbury when the Tunisia attack happened and turned my phone on to check messages while everyone in our group went to the toilet, I had texts from my mum reassuring me that our family friends who were in Tunisia at the time had escaped unharmed, I don't even know an attack had happened, i felt guilt for not even knowing. Our family friends are an older couple in their 70s and they played dead on the beach, the scariest part was that the sunbeds they usually used on that beach were taken when they got there so they moved further up the beach; their usual sunbeds were the nearest one to the attackers and the people on those beds sadly died.

I've just listened to a 3 part podcast on Josef Fritzel and learned so much, Elizabeth is an incredible woman. I knew the basics of the case but how she survived what she did and got her kids up daily and homeschooled them and tried to make their life as normal as possible Is incredible

The Junko Furata case in horrific, again I listened to a podcast recently on it - I couldn't even listen to it all, those boys were monsters.
What podcasts did you listen to on the Fritzel case and also poor Junko Furata?

Quattro formaggi

Chatty Member
The story that stays with me is: a couple and their two children were on a beach in Norfolk. The tide suddenly turned and the parents couldn’t get to their children who very sadly died.

I couldn’t get the thought of the parents out of my head having to return home without their children. And every morning waking up and trying to cope and come to terms with a different way of life.
I remember that very sad

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Manchester arena is one that will stick with me for a long time. For a very long time Manchester was my go to arena (until Leeds became an option) the foyer where it happened was the exit I’d used on multiple occasions (inc feb 2017) especially when I was at university and needed to catch a train back to where I was living at the time. I remember not sleeping the entire night because it could so easily been a show I’d attended . The situation was made so much worse because I knew multiple people at the show one of whom was only about 7 or 8 at the time.

7/7 sticks with me because it was the first big event I remember watching unfold online and a reasonably live pace. It was end of term Year 10 and we had a random computer room lesson and I just remember it breaking in the yahoo homepage.

Soham murders stick out to me as well because it even made the Australian news when I’d gone on holiday to see some family.
Yes, I always used the foyer as well. It was much easier than going up and down those steep steps into the main entrance. I remember going to see the Scissor Sisters with my mum in about 2007/8 and we sat in the foyer for ages before the gig because we’d arrived really early. I actually know people who were caught up in the arena bombing (unharmed thankfully) and because of that it felt closer to home than any other terror attack.

Chipstiz

I was at Glastonbury when the Tunisia attack happened and turned my phone on to check messages while everyone in our group went to the toilet, I had texts from my mum reassuring me that our family friends who were in Tunisia at the time had escaped unharmed, I don't even know an attack had happened, i felt guilt for not even knowing. Our family friends are an older couple in their 70s and they played dead on the beach, the scariest part was that the sunbeds they usually used on that beach were taken when they got there so they moved further up the beach; their usual sunbeds were the nearest one to the attackers and the people on those beds sadly died.

I've just listened to a 3 part podcast on Josef Fritzel and learned so much, Elizabeth is an incredible woman. I knew the basics of the case but how she survived what she did and got her kids up daily and homeschooled them and tried to make their life as normal as possible Is incredible

The Junko Furata case in horrific, again I listened to a podcast recently on it - I couldn't even listen to it all, those boys were monsters.
What was the josef fritzl podcast called please?