Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mazerati

Chatty Member
Hi all. New here but I've been loving everyone's amazing thoughts on Sali. I too was a follower. Never went as far as splashing £400 on a haircut or £45 on a shower cap, but she got me into hot cloth cleansing and she was always around as some sort of guide. I started getting sus when she wrote that piece on having been into squalene for ages and me scratching my head, wondering when the hell she'd ever written about it. By then I'd been following actual bona-fide skin care forums where people talked seriously about all their skin concerns and ingredients. I would then go back to check whether Sali was writing about retinols, or acids, and I was just a bit bewildered as to why she didn't mention all this stuff as much. And don't get me started on the lack of mentions about botox. I'm super tight with money and I was too scared of make-up to splash out too much on anything crazy, but I feel so silly anyway for being duped into thinking her word was valid.

You've all mentioned really good points here. But the one thing that stands out for me, is how cleverly she made herself seem so big sisterly. Pretending she was doing us a favour but being honest with us (and maybe she was in the beginning), but at the same time talking down to us/gaslighting us by always doing the "I've long been a fan of". The implication here being that there's products/info out there that she knows about, that's been out there, that we are either too naïve or poor or sheltered or prole to know about. She's the gatekeeper. I realise this now because I'm older and I'm not gonna fucking part with what little I have on something that ultimately isn't going to make me feel THAT much better unless I know it really works. But I feel bad for people who are still falling for it. Who are going out and buying everything she peddles, hoping they too can live some sort of classy rich white girl life.

Ok rant over. Feels good to get it out.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

Runestone

Hello, making my first ever post here. I stumbled on tattler a few weeks ago looking for something else and was shook when I saw the Sali thread and the number it was up to. Had a little look at the most recent thread and have been working my way backwards down the rabbit hole ever since. Still have threads 1-10 to read but so far each thread I open reveals nastier and nastier behaviour.

I’ve increasingly found her tone quite passive aggressive and her lame excuses for not disclosing obvious ads very disheartening. Which is why I unfollowed her recently on instagram. Now knowing just how awful she really is I regret not doing so sooner.

Not sure what I find the most horrifying in her actions. Her close association with a convicted pedophile, threatening to send said pedophile to tattlers homes when he was ‘only’ convicted of assaulting minors, stalking tattlers and liking pictures of their children to let them know she’s found their identities, putting peoples lives at risk so she can eat at a restaurant during a pandemic and encouraging others to do the same despite the government warning against such an action, a week later chucking a fit about people doing exactly what she said they should do the week before, plagiarising an entire charity and passing it off as her own idea right down to coping word for word the originals website. And those are just highlights from THIS year, and not even all of the bullying, lying, and shady business dealings she takes part in.

Plus I still have ten threads to go. 10! Threads! What other terrible shit has she been getting away with all this time.

Sorry if I’m hijacking but I just had to share my shock. In the past I’ve recommended Sali to others and made purchases based on her reviews. I love her ITB series and used to read her guardian column before it devolved into nothing but ads. I’ve increasingly become aware of how shady the influencer world is but I had no idea Sali was included this deeply in that mess.

If you’re reading here Sali which it seems like you do I just want you to know I looked up to you, and I’m really disappointed. Do better.

• Heart
Reactions: 31

sineadf

Hey @Guardian, your beauty coverage is awful. I could do better! Just innocently suggesting, as things are tough. I know most of my job is pretending to be working class and launching witch hunts on my female colleagues but as some columns might be combined, I could fit in a bit of advice on squalane cleansers as well. Love, Owen Jones.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

Aude

VIP Member
I've always been a Guardian reader/supporter - I even had a holiday job there once - but I've found their 'lifestyle' content uninspired and uninteresting for a few years now. I find the coverage of the areas I'm interested in - beauty, fashion, health and fitness, a bit of interiors - much better in the Times and Telegraph.

I think the Guardian made a mistake in focusing on personalities/single points of view - SH, Jess C-M - rather than content. For lifestyle content, I'm much more drawn by the subject matter than the writer. If I'm not interested in, say, summer perfumes, I'm not interested in reading about them - regardless of who's writing.

What I want from broadsheet beauty coverage is a wide range of subjects (from the beauty industry, to latest cosmetic procedures, to innovative new products and brands, to expert advice, tips and techniques, product recommendations based on decent testing) and a wide range of types of coverage (diverse viewpoints, unbiased reviews, in-depth articles, investigative journalism).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Thanks to @Aude for thread title.

I'm afraid @Mselvista Sali Hughes #18 Prick 😂 could not be used as against title rules!

I've had a scan of the previous thread for recap:

We found out Sali takes instruction from the sea 🌊
She doesn't like flipflops but loves a clog or a Birkenstock
Sali and her chums pretend all we talk about here is height, glasses, spellings. They are embarrassed for us.
Eric Joyce, the man who Sali told that she knew where we lived, is now a convicted sex offender.
She keeps selling stuff on IG.

(Anything forgotten feel free to mention)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

The Dowager

Chatty Member
I appreciate I'm a lurker, but I've applied the same half-arsed attempts as Sali writing her Guardian column, and will lob this particular tin foil hat in to the ring for the next thread title:

Sali Hughes #19 Snide, snippy, invented red lippy, not half as bright as her beloved ring light

Having said that, this current thread title is my favourite on the whole site *bows beef face in deference*

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

Mazerati

Chatty Member
Anyone else a bit sad about her transition into influencer? I do honestly think the old Sali we followed would have baulked at such carry on. What happened? I guess it's too tempting not to turn down the opportunity to get lucrative deals for doing naff all except posting on Instagram
I'm not sad. Fuck her. And quite frankly fuck the entire beauty/skin care industry and the capitalist patriarchy that plays on all our insecurities so that even if we know we're enjoying in something as a hobby, it's built on the foundations of making us feel insecure about ourselves. Fuck this fake swerve from misogyny to "beauty is power" that she and so many peddle. ARGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!

Reactions: 24

Calabria

VIP Member
Also, we’re supposed to believe a random 16 year old just happened to be able to email one of Blur’s producers her song? Pull the other one mate, it’s got bells on it!

Lemsipmax

There is a contact form link on his twitter bio.
True! I was being a bit facetious 😁

Although where's the bit to upload my demo I recorded with the top of the range audio equipment my dad left lying around? Waaaahhhh. No one will hear my magnum opus - Check Your Catflap by Beef Face and the Female Incels

Last edited:
  • Haha

fakebaker

Just popped on to catch up. Absolutely absorbed by the beauty chat.
I have used Dr Sebagh's HA (because it was endlessly in the Liberty Advent Calendar) and that was always quite a good product for me. I have been so swayed by the beauty influencers, gurus, bloggers, whatever they want to call themselves (essentially salespeople) that I have more product than I think that I could ever use and so I made a decision to share it amongst my girlfriends. It brought me a weird level of joy.
I am just embarassed that I used to think that some of the bloggers used to buy this stuff themselves, I would literally think that they didn't eat because they were buying Sisley Black Rose Goop. I hang my head in shame! Then I realise that this is why we need ASA to moderate this sphere. There aren't many negative reviews out there ever, so it is quite hard to get a truly informed decision other than from groups like this I now find. Sorry, completely gone off topic. I apologise. How tall is Sali? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
They are labouring the "anonymous" line, thinking that it will later get them off the hook ("She did it all herself!" "No one knew who she was!" etc). But this only addresses the OBVIOUS aspect of nepotism, not all the advantages conferred behind the scenes: the industry contacts, the what I assume to be the fancy performing arts school (?), that the overwhelming majority of kids simply do not have access to. LL should be ashamed of herself. They are all such hypocrites
This exactly. The 'anonymity' is a figleaf so they can all pretend it is highly ethical. Lauren's arch 'she's a 16 year old from London' without mentioning she knows her extremely well and is an old family friend is just cringe worthy. I don't know if she should mention it but she put herself in that position so I think is open to criticism. It's just a continuation of this lot helping their friends/relatives using a position of power - Sali constantly plugging Hersheson's (I see them as friends of hers by this stage).
I had a look at my trusty copy of Pretty Honest 😂 and all the glowing gushing soundbites on the cover were by Caitlin Moran, Lauren Laverne, India Knight and Marian Keyes. So wonderfully impartial and diverse then.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Love this forum. Learning so much and I feel like as a 40 something year old I've finally found somewhere where I can talk skin/beauty with people who have the same concerns as me.
It's the best. Far from being a cabal of "broken, beefy faced, tin foil hat mentalists" or whatever Sali and her crew call us, I've found everyone to be so witty and intelligent and I've learned so much

• Heart
Reactions: 21

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Over 30? I'm sorry but the 30s is still so youthful. It's not like one turns 30 and instantly ages. I can't believe the nonsense she spoke and that I couldn't see it

Reactions: 21

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I too am baffled by this aggressive cleansing thing. I look at my face sometimes and think it's such a small square of leather to be attacked so much with various lotions and potions. Bizarre when you think about it. I never ever 'double' cleanse. I simply refuse to believe my face ever is *that* dirty even with full makeup. So what if it isn't squeaky clean Every. Single. Time.
I think face care can be over fetishized and made to be seen as incredibly complicated when it isn't - well, beauty journals and influencers tell us this (interestingly it really does just seem to be them as they are in love with products - when I read beauty routines or watch them on YT for models, actresses etc their routines are so pared down and quite simple).
I don't ever use water on my face apart from in the shower. I cleanse once with micellar water (a terrific one by Garnier), have done for years and guess what the sky hasn't fallen in. I tried muslins and hot cloth and it was brilliant at first but long term terrible, for me anyway. Far too drying and I don't even have dry skin. Even a muslin is too scratchy and abrasive. And I really do not have sensitive skin.
I also am wary of entirely trusting Sali, Hirons for example when we know they use Botox, fillers, derma whatever etc to correct skin problems whereas I can't afford it so have to be careful and treat my skin very carefully in a 'hands off' way. Which I have found suits me.

• Heart
Reactions: 20