Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
It is interesting, and no doubt Sali would class it as one of those petty things that happens here, raking over every thing she says looking for discrepancies, but the Clarisonic thing - without @Mselvista remembering that no doubt some of us would be scratching our heads going 'but I'm sure she recommended them on a few occasions? And thought they were wonderful?' - and on the strength of that purchased one for themselves or as a gift.
No doubt the Sali Hughes Beauty agony aunt would find this hilarious - buy something Sali said is good? Because you trusted her? Only to find out she never liked it? Fools.
What next - she never rated Whistles?

• Haha
Reactions: 17

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I’ve saved all the bottles/containers I’ve finished during lockdown. My goal at the start was not to buy anything this year until I’d used everything up. Sorry, going off topic.
Not going off topic. I think it's very relevant that the scales have dropped from our eyes and we're no longer buying into the encouragement of influencers to spend, spend, spend

• Heart
Reactions: 16

melfish

VIP Member
This is so depressing, I feel sick to the stomach every time these children of the wealthy/famous pop up at the top of the heap in areas that regular working-class kids could only dream of. That Caitlin "I'm mad me" Moran continues to milk her working-class roots and pretend to speak on behalf of the working class makes it even more sickening. Could the kid be a prodigy? Sure. Is it likely? No

An A&R person could walk into any high school and grab 10 random kids who could then be made into a pop star (that autotune eh). But they're not gonna

Last edited:
  • Heart
Theres something strange with how an eye shape has been demonised. (Because a hooded eye can fit less product on? Even though some ethnicities have surgery for hooded eyes as if there is a "good hood" level?) I cant quite articulate why this weirded me out, has a bloke ever complained about the aesthetics of their eyelids?
Yes, I never thought hooded eyes were an issue until SH came along. Then I realised I had hooded eyes and spent ages wondering if I'd look 'better' without. Yet another manufactured problem that women need to spend time worrying about.

That's where I start to confuse myself. SH talks about makeup as creativity, self-care and as a confidence boost. And these are all the reasons I like makeup. I like spending 5mins each morning being tactile with my face, making myself look a bit fresher and 'perkier'.

But worrying about hooded eyes, sagging jawlines, thin lips, etc etc is the exact opposite of the above. It's about conforming to a very narrow, youthful aesthetic. Yet I'm still susceptible to the influencing 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Good morning, I ve been skulking around this thread since SH's epic rant last year. Anyhow, read this today and it reminded me of the essential premise and purpose of this thread. That's all...
Screenshot_20200712-103651_Instagram.jpg

• Heart

Raker

VIP Member
This should all probably go in the CM Thread....

I was tickled by this:

3AF911ED-3E76-49C9-8FCE-6E7C66080C0C.jpeg

.... so in the past 4 (?) months she’s written 2 albums, got onto Radio 1, Radio 6, and had Blur’s producer work on her debut stuff. But has managed to garner all this “independently sourced” support while she has never played live?

I’ve never heard her, she may be brilliant, but YY to previous posts decrying the closed shop privileged girls club Bobbins

Edited to add:

And her “anonymity” won’t last long when the following comes up in the first 20 results of a google image search...
425902B5-6A6B-435C-8685-31C5C52107E1.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow

Runestone

:ROFLMAO: I'm sure it will be a cheering and a pleasing read!
And welcome! :D
Thank you 😊 I’m enjoying reading tattlers take on things, the comments are always so on point.

@Curio @SqualorVictoria I used to work in a makeup counter and you’re spot on that they don’t teach how to do makeup but attack flaws for sales instead. One of my first lessons was how to offer two products for different ‘problems’ but then take one of the products away. The customer then always would buy both things. Sales is all about psychological warfare.

• Wow
  • Sick

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I want beauty journalism in a newspaper not advertorials like you see in glossy magazines.
Yes. All we get in magazines is basically a re-write of the press release that comes from the brand. That’s all Sali does - dresses it up with some fancy words wrapped around it, add in a couple of personal anecdotes perhaps (which may or may not be true), and calls it journalism. What an insult to readers.

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
I tried to watch the video with Marcia, but even 5 minutes seemed too long. I guess I prefer her in shorter clips 🚲.
You can tell these two have a genuine friendship!
- My great friend Sali who I've known for 2-3 years. :rolleyes:
- No, it's much longer than that. 4 years. 🤦‍♀️

That vid felt horribly intimate. Even Olympians work out vids dont make u feel like your in some AI dirty film
:LOL:
Tour de France - Petite Mort Edition

• Haha
  • Sick

Aude

VIP Member
Until SH puts on a growth spurt or gets a pair of varifocals (if she's there yet) I'm going to carry on talking about CM...

CM did an IG Live with Nadine Shah (apparently an old friend) a week or so ago. On her upper lip she has what looks like the sort of bruise I occasionally get from having dermal filler (or other cosmetic injection). She tells ND that it's a smudge of mascara she can't get off.

• Haha
  • Wow

Wolf359

Chatty Member
Re: taking off makeup, ever since I saw Christy Turlington’s cleansing routine in this documentary, I have copied it and my skin is fantastic. Cream cleanser, wipe off with tissue, but extra on your lashes to make sure all the mascara is gone, tone with water, pat dry. Boom.

The whole documentary is worth a watch if you’re into your 90s supermodels (which I very much am). But skip to about 44mins 20secs to see what I’m on about.

• Heart

bsh3113

So many talented young musicians out there and these spoilt rich kids get it handed to them on a plate 😡 And then they pretend they made it on their own merit

• Angry

Spanner

Chatty Member
I don’t know if I’m allowed to quote from other sites, admins, please delete this if not, but I recently discovered I’m still a member of the GTL Facebook page from back in the day that got resurrected last year. I thought I had deleted it ages ago so it had passed me by up to now.

Anyway, I was looking yesterday and saw that someone had posted a photo of a Diptyque delivery with the caption “I blame Sali lol. Why is it every word she mentions I go buy it lol xxx” and then after someone else’s comment the same woman has written that she’s getting into debt. And I want to just reply “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!”

• Wow
  • Sad

melfish

VIP Member
They are labouring the "anonymous" line, thinking that it will later get them off the hook ("She did it all herself!" "No one knew who she was!" etc). But this only addresses the OBVIOUS aspect of nepotism, not all the advantages conferred behind the scenes: the industry contacts, the what I assume to be the fancy performing arts school (?), that the overwhelming majority of kids simply do not have access to. LL should be ashamed of herself. They are all such hypocrites

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Anyone remember Miss Selfridge makeup? I bought a silver nail polish with some birthday money, it had that very distinctive heart branding on the packaging. My sister stole the polish and when I got it back it was all dried up and unusable 🤬

I remember hair mascara being a big thing in the 90s also

• Haha

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Haven't read it yet but do influencers not realise that most people use Microsoft teams for work, as someone pointed out before? Oh and guess what, you can also turn your camera off

• Heart

You do actually have to be fat (this is not an insult) to help with body shape visibility and fashion and getting rid of fatphobia. I’ve read CM say she is a size 14, the body positive/ radical fat movement don’t consider this fat because (well basically it isn’t) size 14 can be found in most clothing ranges.

She may mean fat in comparison to the showbiz/fashion world but it isn’t helpful. Just another instance of her getting in the way of other women (intersectional feminism is not her strong suite). And also yes, nice instance of privileged white women helping other privileged white women with the kid’s song there.