Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On affiliates - presumably that only works if you click on the link and then buy from that same website (even if up to 30 days later).
Yes, you would have to buy from the merchant linked in the piece. Cookies can have different expiration periods though, they could be 90 days - but obviously if you regularly delete your cookies and do so after clicking the link but before making a purchase, then no money would be made from the link.

Cookies can do all sorts of things, but if you don't want to get sponsored ads, use incognito mode when you browse for purchases.

Reactions: 4
Barbara Daly really was ahead of the game as a beauty expert and spotting the market in supermarkets. I had a few products from Tesco - a lovely golden highlighting cream one of them. I don't think it is still going.
I loved that golden highlight cream. She did a lovely foundation as well.

Reactions: 3
I loved the Mary Quant packaging! Matte black with a flower. As I said I had that glossy brown malteser lipstick and a foundation too. I used to get it from a little chemist, who also sold (if my awful memory serves right) a selection of little BIC perfumes, as in the lighters. They were about 99p and really not bad. Does anybody else remember these?
There's a tiny place at the back of my memory that recalls these. I used to love the little chemists where you never knew what you were going to find.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Do you think that PRs will still send Sali stuff if the column no longer exists? I guess they will as she has enough of a following on her own social channels

Reactions: 2
Do you think that PRs will still send Sali stuff if the column no longer exists? I guess they will as she has enough of a following on her own social channels
I was wondering that. The title of Beauty Editor for The Guardian must carry a bit of extra clout though mustn't it?
But having SM as a fall back must help.

Reactions: 3
I think they send it to anyone who has the platform to shift their product - and SH certainly has through IG.

Reactions: 1
Sali can always get a new column, it’s easy isn’t it? Just bad mouth the present incumbent and their output enough publicly, bully them online, tell their editor you could do a better job, then Bob’s your uncle!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Sali can always get a new column, it’s easy isn’t it? Just bad mouth the present incumbent and their output enough publicly, bully them online, tell their editor you could do a better job, then Bob’s your uncle!
Haha, yeah! Watch out India! 🔪

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
But remember Sali just 'innocently tweeted' about the former beauty writer. Innocently. :rolleyes: 😙

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
I've always been a Guardian reader/supporter - I even had a holiday job there once - but I've found their 'lifestyle' content uninspired and uninteresting for a few years now. I find the coverage of the areas I'm interested in - beauty, fashion, health and fitness, a bit of interiors - much better in the Times and Telegraph.

I think the Guardian made a mistake in focusing on personalities/single points of view - SH, Jess C-M - rather than content. For lifestyle content, I'm much more drawn by the subject matter than the writer. If I'm not interested in, say, summer perfumes, I'm not interested in reading about them - regardless of who's writing.

What I want from broadsheet beauty coverage is a wide range of subjects (from the beauty industry, to latest cosmetic procedures, to innovative new products and brands, to expert advice, tips and techniques, product recommendations based on decent testing) and a wide range of types of coverage (diverse viewpoints, unbiased reviews, in-depth articles, investigative journalism).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Same with the first few seasons of Friends! Why did we think it looked nice? Another former Heather Shimmer girl here with the occasional foray into Black Cherry.

Imagine trying to be an influencer in the 90s. You wouldn't be able to say much about Anne French cleansing milk or Body Shop Dewberry, it'd all get a bit old after a couple of months!
Anne French - just had a massive flash back!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
What I want from broadsheet beauty coverage is a wide range of subjects (from the beauty industry, to latest cosmetic procedures, to innovative new products and brands, to expert advice, tips and techniques, product recommendations based on decent testing) and a wide range of types of coverage (diverse viewpoints, unbiased reviews, in-depth articles, investigative journalism).
Are you... trying to get a job? 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I want beauty journalism in a newspaper not advertorials like you see in glossy magazines.
Yes. All we get in magazines is basically a re-write of the press release that comes from the brand. That’s all Sali does - dresses it up with some fancy words wrapped around it, add in a couple of personal anecdotes perhaps (which may or may not be true), and calls it journalism. What an insult to readers.

Reactions: 16
Hey @Guardian, your beauty coverage is awful. I could do better! Just innocently suggesting, as things are tough. I know most of my job is pretending to be working class and launching witch hunts on my female colleagues but as some columns might be combined, I could fit in a bit of advice on squalane cleansers as well. Love, Owen Jones.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.