Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Aude

VIP Member
It's the best. Far from being a cabal of "broken, beefy faced, tin foil hat mentalists" or whatever Sali and her crew call us, I've found everyone to be so witty and intelligent and I've learned so much
The other thing I'd add is that we are simply nicer to each other than SH is to people she engages with on social media. She's fine if people are complimenting or asking for advice (although not always then) but not if they question or disagree or - it seems - just rub her up the wrong way. We don't always agree here but never disrespectful.

Reactions: 20

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Not sponsored, affiliated, required etc etc. Sali love, they didn’t give you a fucking 40% discount code for you not to share it with the world you absolute fool! What do you take us for???

Also, just to add, Arket top - another influencer staple. She has well and truly jumped on board the gravy train.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 20

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
Also hooded eyes here 😕
Theres something strange with how an eye shape has been demonised. (Because a hooded eye can fit less product on? Even though some ethnicities have surgery for hooded eyes as if there is a "good hood" level?) I cant quite articulate why this weirded me out, has a bloke ever complained about the aesthetics of their eyelids?

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Lemsipmax

I've listened to the single and I have my opinions on it but I'm not going to share them here. She's a 16 year old girl and I'm sure you will all agree we don't want to see this turn into an attack on her. But I think long term they are doing her a disservice in trying to hide her lineage. Nepotism happens in the music industry. Admittedly usually through actual musical artists having kids rather than music journalists. I understand how frustrating that must be for new artists trying to break in who have no contacts. I think the plan may be that when it becomes more widely known who her parents are they can say,"Ah but no one knew who she was in the beginning so she made it on her own." Maybe most punters don't but the majority of music insiders must know who she is. It will look contrived. I know there's a damned if you do/don't argument but I think it's better to be .....pretty honest.....boom boom tsk. This is the SH thread FFS.
Anyway she's 16 and I wish her no ill but I think querying the anonymous PR line is fair play.

I post this before we all get attacked for supposedly piling on the poor daughter.

Aude

VIP Member
Good that the glasses chain made an appearance so we could fulfil our mission of endless speculation about her glasses. I wonder whether she is still 5ft 3in?

• Haha

Too Much

VIP Member
Not bad for a bunch of beefy trolls!
The thing is that among us, there will be things that society sees as less desirable, like thinning hair, but it shouldn't be used against us to characterise us as 'beef faced incels'. These are real vulnerabilities, which aren't people's fault and shouldn't make them less valuable. These things are also doubtless more common than most people imagine and benefit from being talked about, which help us feel less alone and allow us to share tips like people have done here.

There should be a proper, well-researched column on hair thinning/loss!!! That would be the real stuff guys!

These various insecurities we have (which I daresay are well represented among the general population) may also explain why we have been more susceptible to (Sali's) influence. It is cruel to use this against us; not that I would expect any better from India.

[I typed out a couple of paragraphs about my own hair story, which includes worries about thinning/patchiness partially related to pulling my hair out, but I will say for now that earlier this year I shaved my head, I love it and it looks great! I can expand if this is of genuine interest]

• Heart

Mselvista

VIP Member
Screenshot_20200715-123235_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-123246_Twitter.jpg

Wonder what Sali's recommending at the moment that she'll disavow in 8 years' time. I do hope it's not something thst costs over a hundred quid this time.

I'll include the screenshots for completeness. There was aldo a competition on SHB to win one.
If the Clarisonic had an adverse effect on your skin it was probably your fault for not using it properly. At the time that is, it seems like nowadays it may have been the product after all.

Screenshot_20200715-123451_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-123847_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-123800_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Sali can always get a new column, it’s easy isn’t it? Just bad mouth the present incumbent and their output enough publicly, bully them online, tell their editor you could do a better job, then Bob’s your uncle!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

Eurgh

VIP Member
What a ridiculous exchange!

So if influencing doesn't work to get people to buy more stuff they don't need why do brands pay influencers so much?
This drives me mad. She always drove me mad to be fair.

Completely fucking disingenuous to compare buying a car to throwing money at an industry that preys on insecurities and constantly reinforces the idea you’re not good enough. Women and girls have had this shit forever - the beauty industry (and diet industry tbf) is fuelled by our self-loathing. Yes, advertising in general is about aspirations but all these insecure women who see Sali in her nice house with all her nice stuff and her lovely skin and hair and find themselves lacking WILL listen to her if she says this £28 Charlotte Tilbury lipstick is a ‘game-changer’ and some unflattering on most people cheaply made but very expensive Whistles dress makes her feel amazing they will buy it because that’s what they want. They just will. She’s an influencer, not a serious journalist.

• Heart

FunkyMonkey

Chatty Member
Remember when we were wondering if Sali and co had fallen out with Alexandra Heminsley? She’s liked this tweet (swear I didn’t go digging for this it just came up on my twitter feed whoever monitors for Sali)
32B2594B-DBFF-47F7-B9C2-6ECD87ECFEE7.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
This is what Sali wrote about contouring:

"For someone who adores makeup, I find the current craze for contouring a bit saddening. It appears that not only were our arses too fat and our mons pubis too hairy, but now our heads are the wrong shape, too, and need faceting like an emerald before we can so much as nip to the Co-op."

So using makeup to "contour" is saddening but injectables to correct a "wonky top lip" is fine?
I can honestly say I've never contoured my mons pubis. Not even once.

• Haha

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
This is what Sali wrote about contouring:

"For someone who adores makeup, I find the current craze for contouring a bit saddening. It appears that not only were our arses too fat and our mons pubis too hairy, but now our heads are the wrong shape, too, and need faceting like an emerald before we can so much as nip to the Co-op."

So using makeup to "contour" is saddening but injectables to correct a "wonky top lip" is fine?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
The more I think about influencer culture, the more absurd it is- with their Facebook pages and groups and people hanging on their every word "our queen Caroline" or "Queen Sali" or whatever. Is it not a bit embarrassing for adults to behave like this? This person is not your friend.

This drives me mad. She always drove me mad to be fair.

Completely fucking disingenuous to compare buying a car to throwing money at an industry that preys on insecurities and constantly reinforces the idea you’re not good enough. Women and girls have had this shit forever - the beauty industry (and diet industry tbf) is fuelled by our self-loathing. Yes, advertising in general is about aspirations but all these insecure women who see Sali in her nice house with all her nice stuff and her lovely skin and hair and find themselves lacking WILL listen to her if she says this £28 Charlotte Tilbury lipstick is a ‘game-changer’ and some unflattering on most people cheaply made but very expensive Whistles dress makes her feel amazing they will buy it because that’s what they want. They just will. She’s an influencer, not a serious journalist.
Exactly, the hyaluronic acid article that was posted here, now that's serious journalism. Researching an ingredient and finding it to be not the amazing wonder stuff it's claimed to be. Serious journalism is not "buy xyz". Drives me mad that SH constantly compares herself to a film critic

Last edited:
  • Heart

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Regarding flicky eyeliner, I have dug out my copy of Pretty Honest and here is what she wrote on the very same subject

"Those iconic feline flicks of liquid eyeliner, beloved by Bardot, Monroe, Fonteyn and so many other glamorous women, will never go out of style. I wore flicky 60s liner for years and while it will always be a look I love, I've parked it momentarily until its huge moment in fashion passes. Because the point for me is that flicks are special- they require effort, patience, maintenance, occasion and a half-decent outfit. I don't want to wear them when everyone's at it. There are still times, though, where only a flick will do and I'm terribly grateful for my ability to draw then"

So, they will never go out of style but you're waiting until their "huge moment in fashion passes". Which is it?

• Haha

Mazerati

Chatty Member
Love this forum. Learning so much and I feel like as a 40 something year old I've finally found somewhere where I can talk skin/beauty with people who have the same concerns as me.

• Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I have no problem with Eaves Wilder at all and have no opinion on her record - as @Mselvista says it's the adults who should be held to account.
@GTL Old-Timer posted an excellent blog a few threads ago by a black beauty writer who was in despair at the way a few white beauty writers, influencers and journalists held all the cards and had a sort of closed shop (she named Sali amongst others) which didn't allow other voices to be heard - not by what they were doing, but by what they weren't doing.
It seems the music industry too still has this mentality (I don't mean in the issue of race here) of jobs for the boys.

Oh and if Sali and her chums are reading I'll stick to the party line they expect - I don't think Sali actually needs glasses. Is she even Welsh? We're all mental here! 🤪

• Haha

Aude

VIP Member
I hope nobody wrote to Sali's choice of Agony Aunt on SHB for advice on debt (or anything serious, actually).
What a ridiculous exchange!

So if influencing doesn't work to get people to buy more stuff they don't need why do brands pay influencers so much?

Last edited:
  • Heart