Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a wonderful Mary Quant lipstick in the 90s, it was the colour of glossy chocolate. Sadly it looked absolutely bloody awful on me but I kept trying as I wanted to love it. I just kept it as a nice thing in the end - rather like Sali with her cinnamon bun perfume or whatever it was.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I had blue lipstick from the pound shop in the 90s!

I think she has replaced one addiction with another. It's such a shame, as she was a very beautiful young woman
She was stunning. I think she must have BDD.
She (mis)uses "self-awareness" like it's a bad thing
You're right, this makes no sense - does she mean self-consciousness? She's such a bad writer...

Reactions: 3
I left Mrs Gloss when GTL reopened because I did not need that much makeup on my timeline! I also felt there was a big focus on getting that “instagram” type look which, at my age, just doesn’t interest me. Made me feel ancient!
Exactly! I just couldn’t relate to these young women wearing really thick drag-style make up for daytime. Heavy foundation, heavy contouring, heavy brows. Some would post selfies and the brows in particular looked bad... I mean really bad. 90% of responses would be positive, and the other 10% would be oh-so-gently trying to suggest other brow techniques. But you weren’t allowed to say “Girl, no!”

Reactions: 4
I had blue lipstick from the pound shop in the 90s!

She was stunning. I think she must have BDD.

You're right, this makes no sense - does she mean self-consciousness? She's such a bad writer...
Yes, self-consciousness

Reactions: 1
I assumed Whistles was rhyming slang (whistle and flute - suit) hadn't considered the wolf whistle aspect! I have never bought anything there so 😶

I think she has replaced one addiction with another. It's such a shame, as she was a very beautiful young woman

The 90s were a brilliant decade for me - yes, Sali, there is such a thing as subjectivity - and it definitely wasn't all lipgloss. Matte lips were big too. They were the years of Poppy King
yep 90s were dark cherry lips and matte beige. Lip gloss got huge with the Juicy Tubes craze which was late 90s and early 00s, a la Paris Hilton.

Reactions: 8
Hirons isn't cool enough for Sali to be engaging with on social. Now, if it was one of her media luvvie mates... different story

I loved Juicy Tubes!

Don’t miss my hair getting stuck to my lips though.
Loved the idea (and flavours) but they were a nightmare to wear!

Reactions: 5
Juicy Tubes ❤❤❤. I used to love the little sets you could get at airports, etc. What a blast from the past! They were genuinely a bit new and different. I loved them.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Not going off topic. I think it's very relevant that the scales have dropped from our eyes and we're no longer buying into the encouragement of influencers to spend, spend, spend
I’ve often wondered if buying the latest makeup/skincare has put people into debt. I love it all but I try not buy too much and especially now. Luckily I have hooded eyes 😐 so I’m not interested at all in eyeshadow pallets.

I wish women (younger and more mature) would step away from the lip filler. Leave lips alone!
Courier left a box of hygiene rolls with me for my neighbour. She does beauty treatments at her house. Dropped off and I was astonished at the state of her lips. Seriously blown up so bad. None of the 20yr + girls I know have done this (ok, know a few and they’re into makeup but sensible). Maybe it’s a ‘can’t cope with ageing thing’ for older women - dunno.

I wore Heather Shimmer to teenage discos. Last I heard Rimmel were still selling that shade!
I had that too. Urm, roller disco.

Last edited:
Hi all. New here but I've been loving everyone's amazing thoughts on Sali. I too was a follower. Never went as far as splashing £400 on a haircut or £45 on a shower cap, but she got me into hot cloth cleansing and she was always around as some sort of guide. I started getting sus when she wrote that piece on having been into squalene for ages and me scratching my head, wondering when the hell she'd ever written about it. By then I'd been following actual bona-fide skin care forums where people talked seriously about all their skin concerns and ingredients. I would then go back to check whether Sali was writing about retinols, or acids, and I was just a bit bewildered as to why she didn't mention all this stuff as much. And don't get me started on the lack of mentions about botox. I'm super tight with money and I was too scared of make-up to splash out too much on anything crazy, but I feel so silly anyway for being duped into thinking her word was valid.

You've all mentioned really good points here. But the one thing that stands out for me, is how cleverly she made herself seem so big sisterly. Pretending she was doing us a favour but being honest with us (and maybe she was in the beginning), but at the same time talking down to us/gaslighting us by always doing the "I've long been a fan of". The implication here being that there's products/info out there that she knows about, that's been out there, that we are either too naïve or poor or sheltered or prole to know about. She's the gatekeeper. I realise this now because I'm older and I'm not gonna bleeping part with what little I have on something that ultimately isn't going to make me feel THAT much better unless I know it really works. But I feel bad for people who are still falling for it. Who are going out and buying everything she peddles, hoping they too can live some sort of classy rich white girl life.

Ok rant over. Feels good to get it out.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
I’ve often wondered if buying the latest makeup/skincare has put people into debt. I love it all but I try not buy too much and especially now. Luckily I have hooded eyes 😐 so I’m not interested at all in eyeshadow pallets.

Courier left a box of hygiene rolls with me for my neighbour. She does beauty treatments at her house. Dropped off and I was astonished at the state of her lips. Seriously blown up so bad. None of the 20yr + girls I know have done this (ok, know a few and they’re into makeup but sensible). Maybe it’s a ‘can’t cope with ageing thing’ for older women - dunno.

I had that too. Urm, roller disco.
I think it's because lip fillers have become so mainstream. No judgement and people can obviously do what they want but I think lips should be left alone- nature usually gets lips right and fillers just give that generic pouffy appearance

Hi all. New here but I've been loving everyone's amazing thoughts on Sali. I too was a follower. Never went as far as splashing £400 on a haircut or £45 on a shower cap, but she got me into hot cloth cleansing and she was always around as some sort of guide. I started getting sus when she wrote that piece on having been into squalene for ages and me scratching my head, wondering when the hell she'd ever written about it. By then I'd been following actual bona-fide skin care forums where people talked seriously about all their skin concerns and ingredients. I would then go back to check whether Sali was writing about retinols, or acids, and I was just a bit bewildered as to why she didn't mention all this stuff as much. And don't get me started on the lack of mentions about botox. I'm super tight with money and I was too scared of make-up to splash out too much on anything crazy, but I feel so silly anyway for being duped into thinking her word was valid.

You've all mentioned really good points here. But the one thing that stands out for me, is how cleverly she made herself seem so big sisterly. Pretending she was doing us a favour but being honest with us (and maybe she was in the beginning), but at the same time talking down to us/gaslighting us by always doing the "I've long been a fan of". The implication here being that there's products/info out there that she knows about, that's been out there, that we are either too naïve or poor or sheltered or prole to know about. She's the gatekeeper. I realise this now because I'm older and I'm not gonna bleeping part with what little I have on something that ultimately isn't going to make me feel THAT much better unless I know it really works. But I feel bad for people who are still falling for it. Who are going out and buying everything she peddles, hoping they too can live some sort of classy rich white girl life.

Ok rant over. Feels good to get it out.
Hi and welcome! Yeah the Squalane thing was ridiculous. No mention of it in Pretty Honest either, despite that being touted as the ultimate beauty companion

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.