Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
It's weird, isn't it? To think people want to see you with a beer in your face. Not the once, but twice.

See Sali drink, see Sali eat. Look, Sali is on a bicycle, here are Sali's feet. It's ridiculous. What have we become as a species? 🤣 🤣
When you look at the IG phenomenon it is very very odd. Just existing and proving you exist gets 'likes' and fawning praise.
Years ago when you visited someone's house they might foist their dullest photos on you - but even then they wouldn't bother with feet, drinking, cycling, bottles of what cosmetics they use.
I'm sure there must be a sci-fi dystopian book written years ago predicting the utter vacuousness and vanity of humans, plus the constant craving for praise and validation from strangers. And promoting the normalising of invasive treatments in the pointless pursuit of youth. Not that anyone would've believed such a book - it would be like a horror story.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

Disillusioned

VIP Member
I don't think she's especially slim, pretty average (i.e. a little plump in her mid 40s). And that's fine! She's very pretty. I'd love to see her espousing that kind of changing beauty as you go through life, you can't really do that ingenue white collar frock look after a certain age, it looks silly.
I’ve met her at an event a year ish ago and she was very slim (and petite). And surely let’s not get into ageist comments about at what age you can wear what clothes?

Last edited:
  • Heart

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
Although the comments on her IG are favourable and people have booked appointments
What is anyone really going to say in these consultations? Wear moisturiser! Have you got sunscreen? Apply body lotion! Do you use an acid peel?! What about a spendy treat! Wear a red lip!

FFS...the beauty industry is patronising and infantilising at the best of times, but this takes the cake. Do grown women really need this?

RayRayJay

I listened to Fortunately (why did I do it to myself??)
I think she came across ok. Was desperate for more of a probe on the "tweakments" too. And did laugh when Jane Garvey thought she might know about how whales are attracted to each other. Don't think Sali laughed though. Not sure she laughed at all.

She does talk with confidence though, especially when quoting herself. Lolz.

At the start she said something like - yes I've got two teenagers - then few minutes later said one was 12, almost 13. I know, I really know that this isn't a deadly sin but it's a microexample of exaggeration and a white lie that just rolled off her tongue.

Moving on, I'm totally fed up of the Salis (and Fis and Janes) of the world going on about how we all have so much free time now. The kind of free time where you can go and drink champagne in the garden at 3pm cause you've had a stressful day. I don't begrudge Sali being stressed by the way, everyone is stressed albeit for hugely varying reasons. I just hate the assumption that we all have time to read, or not read, books all the time.

My partner and I have a toddler and are both working from home. We literally don't have a spare minute in the day (except right now, I'm making a cup of tea while partner is with child). Our day is far busier than it was before. I'm extremely grateful that it is btw, we're so so lucky and privilidged to be able to work from home and keep our family safe.

And I can easily say that I'd rather not have the "free" time because it would mean that I was furloughed, laid off, ill or.... an influencer. Which is worse?

That's my rant for today. Hope you are all well, especially you @AmberSpyglass . Love to your dad.

• Sad
  • Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Not the 'jealous' accusation again? Usually only applied by certain women to other women. How feminist. Are men ever accused of being jealous if they are critical of another man?

• Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I just can't help thinking this initiative, though I'm sure is meant well, is like something from the 1950s. Appearance for women is everything.
I genuinely can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is that makes me a bit uneasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20

Mselvista

VIP Member
She's definitely not plump. She's often seated with the camera at an unflattering height in her videos.
Anyway now we're a bunch of women slagging off other women about her weight. Not what the thread should be about.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I wonder how many times a year she has to mention Hersheson’s - digitally & in print? 🤔
I know she gets upset when it is suggested something is underhand - so I really am genuinely not even saying that - but I can't understand why she doesn't see what it looks like to an outside observer? We know Hersheson's are her hairdressers and we know she gets #presstreatments (she states it on IG) so surely she can see these constant mentions are a bit grating?
It would be like Jay Rayner plugging the same expensive restaurant almost every week whilst they give him free food wouldn't it? I don't see the difference.

• Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
It is so fucking galling isn't it? People stuck in far worse conditions than her are sticking to the rules for the sake of everyone else. But Caitlin Moran gets paid a shitload to write about self isolating and then can't be arsed to do it herself. What a twat. And I bet she was on her doorstep on Thursday clapping for the NHS.
Please let this be the wake up call for sensible people not to listen any longer to self appointed experts. And I include Sali 'It wasn't a pub it was a restaurant' Hughes in this too.

• Heart
If my significant other was a Tory voter - and I'd written about it for The Pool - then I'd also want to offer what I could to NHS workers who've been fucked over my the Tories the last 10 years. But I think it's pretty patronising to nhs staff to be honest. Not deep research, not libel, just my opinion. Also, did EL give to Beauty Banks before the NHS pivot? Or were poor, homeless people not glamorous enough? Again, just a hypothetical question.

• Heart

Brian Butterfield

VIP Member
I want to get drunk in a garden now and smoke Marlboro lights. Anyone else with me? We can gaze at our phones and correct each other while taking inventive photos of our feet
Be right there, just going to pop a red lip on. Will look smashing with my dressing gown and greasy hair #dressingforleonard.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

Jaeme

Broken people? Fuck right off you lying boot.
It’s the LAW!!

Also does she think we button up at the back? In the past there was a column dedicated to Pat McGrath products at the same time Pat McGrath had a big UK launch & other influencers were plugging the same crap.

A column almost entirely about the GHD glide with a token comment about an Aldi alternative tagged on the end, again at the same time the other influencers were plugging it.

A column dedicated to the best moisturiser boosters which was really a dressed up Clinique AD.

Wouldn’t that be the secret product placement the pious one is claiming not to do ??

• Heart
Reactions: 19